Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ebay is rife with counterfeit gba and ds games, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the DS (along with GBA) had a massive problem with fake carts on eBay. As far as I know it's not quite as bad with 3DS since the protection is a lot stronger but still happens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Fake DS games are EVERYWHERE. And unless you know what you're looking for, they're visually indistinguishable from legit ones. Even places like vintage stock or GameStop will end up with them in their preowneds

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, vintage stock in at least one case locally identified a fake cart among the games they had and then still sold it at a (slight) discount without mentioning it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
That's unfortunate to hear. What's the best way to tell if I got a legit DS/3DS game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you try playing a fake DS game in a 3DS it'll often throw up an error and refuse to work. Otherwise nothing obvious, the shape of the cart is often slightly off and they miss details like the white serial numbers on the contacts. A far cry from the good old days of Nintondo brand GBA carts.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ryuga Death posted:

That's unfortunate to hear. What's the best way to tell if I got a legit DS/3DS game?

Very hard short of cracking it open.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sakurazuka posted:

If you try playing a fake DS game in a 3DS it'll often throw up an error and refuse to work. Otherwise nothing obvious, the shape of the cart is often slightly off and they miss details like the white serial numbers on the contacts. A far cry from the good old days of Nintondo brand GBA carts.

I had a mega man Zero game on GBA which said "Ninfendo" on the back. I got it from Gamestop in like 2005 or something (used of course). That was a bummer. It seemed to work okay though..

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah they generally worked okay but any saves would die very quickly because they used shoddy battery back ups instead of the early flash memory the genuine carts used.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

To my knowledge, there are no fake 3DS games. And at this point I don't see a bootleg scene happening.

DS fakes are pretty easy to spot. Often times they'll have really shoddy printed labels. The plastic can feel cheap.

One surefire away to tell is the product code.

See the string of letters after NTR on the white portion of the label at the bottom?

It should match up with what's printed on the back.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Detective No. 27 posted:

See the string of letters after NTR on the white portion of the label at the bottom?

It should match up with what's printed on the back.

the teeth of the chip inside the casing usually has distinct numbers printed on as well, right?

i think fake ds games are most popular when selling a game that had a fairly limited run. since the system only had region locking for ds-i games, if you can, do you think you could get a PAL cart instead? those tend to be cheaper and less likely to be fake when compared to their rare US-region counterparts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know about the teeth contacts, but the product number is an easy enough thing to tell.

The games with the most fakes tend to be some of the most popular titles. Pokemon, Mario, and Castlevania are pretty big offenders. Usually if you feel like an eBay listing is too good to be true, it is. Don't even bother if the listing says Hong Kong or China.

I don't think HeartGold/SoulSilver and the Gen V games were bootlegged because they required the carts with the IR sensors, which were harder to fake.

I've got a lot of rare and uncommon DS games and I don't really remember running into fakes of SMT or DQ games. Not that they're not out there. DS piracy was really big even in its heyday, so I feel that anyone producing bootlegs were probably aiming for gullible parents more than treasure hunters.

DS is universal, so if you really wanna play a game and PAL is cheap when NTSC isn't, I say go for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Honestly you’re better off just getting a flash card than trying to buy GBA and DS games.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Honestly you’re better off just getting a flash card than trying to buy GBA and DS games.

What would you recommend? I know nothing of how to do that whole business.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

What would you recommend? I know nothing of how to do that whole business.

PM’d you.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Is Bravely Second really going to play it's intro movie every time I reach a new chapter?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
GBA and DS bootlegs are everywhere which, honestly, is depressing. I don't really mind unlicensed reproduction carts that are labeled as such as they're not distributed in the same channels as legitimate games, but the bootlegs that flooded the market ten years ago are the worst.

Sure, eBay seller from Hong Kong with 50+ "new" cart-only copies of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is clearly selling bootlegs and I avoid those. The problem is that even if you're looking at CiB auctions you have people who might've pieced together a legitimate box and manual with a bootleg cartridge (and honestly, they probably did it unintentionally) so you can never be sure if you're getting a legitimate copy. I've had good luck purchasing from sellers who have a bunch of games all from the same time frame listed at once and all roughly in the same condition, which has a better chance of them having their purchased their games new during their contemporary release and are now looking to sell off their collection after holding onto it for years. In general though I've had to accept that I'm happy enough with my GBA and DS collections as is, with titles I purchased new at the time, and with a few exceptions haven't tried to augment it too much as the hassle of bootlegs isn't worth it.

In contrast, 3DS bootlegs aren't really a thing. I didn't end up getting my first 3DS until quite late--bought it after Metroid: Samus Returns was released in 2017, after the release of the Switch. After I got my 3DS I went back and purchased a decent number of titles for it, many of which were Nintendo Selects, but there were a few Nintendo published games that never or didn't get reprints or Selects releases until quite late, so I ended up buying used copies of Kid Icarus, A Link Between Worlds (which did get one in 2018), Bravely Default, and Dragon Quest VII and it was refreshing to know that if everything appeared to be in good condition they were legitimate and would just work.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Welp, guess Advance wars is never ever happening again.

RIP to a real one. I wonder if I should buy that Metroid game since I doubt it'll show up on Switch at this point.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ExcessBLarg! posted:

GBA and DS bootlegs are everywhere which, honestly, is depressing. I don't really mind unlicensed reproduction carts that are labeled as such as they're not distributed in the same channels as legitimate games, but the bootlegs that flooded the market ten years ago are the worst.

Sure, eBay seller from Hong Kong with 50+ "new" cart-only copies of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is clearly selling bootlegs and I avoid those. The problem is that even if you're looking at CiB auctions you have people who might've pieced together a legitimate box and manual with a bootleg cartridge (and honestly, they probably did it unintentionally) so you can never be sure if you're getting a legitimate copy. I've had good luck purchasing from sellers who have a bunch of games all from the same time frame listed at once and all roughly in the same condition, which has a better chance of them having their purchased their games new during their contemporary release and are now looking to sell off their collection after holding onto it for years. In general though I've had to accept that I'm happy enough with my GBA and DS collections as is, with titles I purchased new at the time, and with a few exceptions haven't tried to augment it too much as the hassle of bootlegs isn't worth it.

In contrast, 3DS bootlegs aren't really a thing. I didn't end up getting my first 3DS until quite late--bought it after Metroid: Samus Returns was released in 2017, after the release of the Switch. After I got my 3DS I went back and purchased a decent number of titles for it, many of which were Nintendo Selects, but there were a few Nintendo published games that never or didn't get reprints or Selects releases until quite late, so I ended up buying used copies of Kid Icarus, A Link Between Worlds (which did get one in 2018), Bravely Default, and Dragon Quest VII and it was refreshing to know that if everything appeared to be in good condition they were legitimate and would just work.

The first time I bought off ebay forever ago it was the GBA Castlevanias Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow; Harmony was a bootleg, the cartridge was slightly larger and off color and it never saved your game. I wouldn't care if it was a bootleg if it actually worked. Luckily the Aria of Sorrow was legit and also the better game so things worked out.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Welp, guess Advance wars is never ever happening again.

RIP to a real one. I wonder if I should buy that Metroid game since I doubt it'll show up on Switch at this point.

If somehow Nintendo ever does Virtual Console for DS/3DS games they will half-rear end it like they done before and release some good along with some real garbage and stop when the garbage doesn't sell. You're probably better off just grabbing it now. Or it's possible it will be on sale on Black Friday, one of the few times they ever discount their first party digital 3ds games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I should just grab a New 2DS now while they still exist. Just as a spare console for down the road.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if physical copies of 3DS games are going to get more ridiculous from here on out price wise. Just earlier this year, Persona Q2 copies were going for about 40 dollars on ebay brand new and now it's just completely stupid. Guess that's on me for jumping on the 3ds wagon so late.

Also, I have a 32gb micro sd card but I think my system says it has about 100k blocks left, should I get a larger card?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

I wonder if physical copies of 3DS games are going to get more ridiculous from here on out price wise. Just earlier this year, Persona Q2 copies were going for about 40 dollars on ebay brand new and now it's just completely stupid. Guess that's on me for jumping on the 3ds wagon so late.

Also, I have a 32gb micro sd card but I think my system says it has about 100k blocks left, should I get a larger card?

32 is the biggest the system takes iirc. Maybe juggle multiple cards or just delete some of the larger games and redownload them when you wanna play later

You can also copy your sd card contents to your pc to keep offline copies in the event the eshop goes away.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gutcruncher posted:

32 is the biggest the system takes iirc. Maybe juggle multiple cards or just delete some of the larger games and redownload them when you wanna play later

You can also copy your sd card contents to your pc to keep offline copies in the event the eshop goes away.

I thought you could get a larger card and reformat it into fat32 or whatever the 3ds recognizes?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

I thought you could get a larger card and reformat it into fat32 or whatever the 3ds recognizes?

Oh poo poo looks like you’re right! I should do that for mine then!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The 3DS wants SDHC cards and it's impossible to make them larger than 32gb.

You can make 64gb and 128gb cards work with special tools if you know how to break them right and the cards are suited for it.

Specifically you'll want to format them FAT32 in a way Windows doesn't support because it breaks spec.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Yeah, I've got a 64gb in mine, windows won't format it to fat32 on its own, but if you use Partition Master or something like that it'll work.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have had a 128gb one in there for a while with no issues

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
yeah windows doesn't "support" it but there's 8 million 3rd party tools that do, the only effect I've noticed is that the bigger the card is the longer the 3ds takes to boot from a cold shutdown

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yeah windows doesn't "support" it but there's 8 million 3rd party tools that do, the only effect I've noticed is that the bigger the card is the longer the 3ds takes to boot from a cold shutdown

Nothing at all supports doing poo poo like this and it's definitely using the components outside their intended design.

Which doesn't mean it doesn't work. Well, it works sometimes, once you get a SD card working and are able to verify it's accessing beyond the 32gb it should be fine.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

Nothing at all supports doing poo poo like this and it's definitely using the components outside their intended design.

Which doesn't mean it doesn't work. Well, it works sometimes, once you get a SD card working and are able to verify it's accessing beyond the 32gb it should be fine.

I mean nothing supports anything, everything is stupid, as we sit here I'm loading files onto my switch that had to be hand modified because Nintendo and Apple don't agree about what the archive bit is supposed to do, all of nintendo's consoles have a non zero chance of spontaneously making GBS threads themselves if they work at all if you use a filesystem that isn't old enough to drink, computers are rocks we tortured into thinking with electricity.

But apart from that it's generally fine.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Been using huge sd cards with 3ds systems from the start with no issue, so have at it. As long as you're not using a fake one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

It's an arbitrary limitation really, FAT32 supports volumes bigger than 32GB no problem, and the SD card itself doesn't care what filesystem you use, but the SD foundation says that cards bigger than 32GB must use exFAT instead of FAT32 because reasons. Windows enforces that limitation but there's really no technical reason why FAT32 can't work on a big SD card.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
At least it seems easy to transfer data between one micro sd card to another if I end up getting a larger card. Physical copies of 3DS games are too drat expensive!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's crazy that it's happening this fast. Soul Hackers's price shot up like crazy ever since the SMTV trailer.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's crazy that it's happening this fast. Soul Hackers's price shot up like crazy ever since the SMTV trailer.

I managed to snag a new copy of Strange Journey Redux from Amazon for 20 dollars a few months ago. Glad I did considering current ebay prices for just the cartridge alone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Atlus games almost always go up in value due to low print runs.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Waltzing Along posted:

Atlus games almost always go up in value due to low print runs.

You could buy new copies of SMT4A for 17.99 on amazon like two months ago.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Popular Atlus games almost always go up in value due to low print runs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

You could buy new copies of SMT4A for 17.99 on amazon like two months ago.
$160 now :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
This Monster Hunter Stories demo is pretty long. It's been simple but kind of fun so far. Anyone have any thoughts about the full game?