Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
In Disgaea 2, how the heck do I get back to the Dark Court? You have to do it early on to progress and did it by going through the item world of a Subpoena, but I tried it again with a different Subpoena and it didn't happen

Also should I bother with any of the DLC characters that you can summon? Or are they more like for postgame stuff? I'm still just slowly going through the story, I probably won't get that into the insane grind that comes after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

In Disgaea 2, how the heck do I get back to the Dark Court? You have to do it early on to progress and did it by going through the item world of a Subpoena, but I tried it again with a different Subpoena and it didn't happen

Also should I bother with any of the DLC characters that you can summon? Or are they more like for postgame stuff? I'm still just slowly going through the story, I probably won't get that into the insane grind that comes after that

It’s not explained, but for the subpoena innocents the Dark Court always appears on the same floor as the innocent’s level, so a level 12 one means the gate shows up at level 12. The Dark Court’s more of a postgame thing to be honest; having a high displayed felony count has some perks but they’re mostly ones that are useful for postgame stuff. Since you can freely move those innocents around you can just put them into items you actually want to level though while doing the main campaign.

The DLC characters are mostly just if you really liked those characters in their OG titles, although iirc some of them have crazy good innate abilities. I can’t remember whether they come at level 100 though or if that’s another game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

In Disgaea 5, how does the Defense Outpost squad work? The squad level text seems to suggest that anybody you assign to it will have reduced stats, but gain EXP without participating in battles, but how? Do they just gain EXP every time you complete a battle, or is it a percentage of the EXP other characters gain, or does anybody have any idea? The first option seems the most likely, but given that this is Disgaea, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tied to something weird, like time spent in battle or number of Prinnies defeated or something similarly obscure.

Also, how does Interrogation work? I sort of understand that the abilities it offers me "attack" the prisoners, am I trying to use skills that attack their weakest stats? It's hard to parse if, say, an ability that targets ATK is more or less effective than one that targets HP, given that the two don't really scale the same normally. Or is that overthinking the whole system? It seems like maybe you just use as many abilities as you can, go fight a battle, rinse & repeat until you've interrogated everybody.

Also Also, is Kunoichi kind of a worthless class, or is there some exploit or build I'm completely missing?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MockingQuantum posted:

In Disgaea 5, how does the Defense Outpost squad work? The squad level text seems to suggest that anybody you assign to it will have reduced stats, but gain EXP without participating in battles, but how? Do they just gain EXP every time you complete a battle, or is it a percentage of the EXP other characters gain, or does anybody have any idea? The first option seems the most likely, but given that this is Disgaea, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tied to something weird, like time spent in battle or number of Prinnies defeated or something similarly obscure.

It's a fraction of what you earn normally and it's quite slow, IIRC.

I don't know the answer to the others.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Prism posted:

It's a fraction of what you earn normally and it's quite slow, IIRC.

I don't know the answer to the others.

Yeah I figured that might be the case, right now I have some of the DLC prinnies in that squad because I kinda doubt I'll ever need them, hah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, how does Interrogation work? I sort of understand that the abilities it offers me "attack" the prisoners, am I trying to use skills that attack their weakest stats? It's hard to parse if, say, an ability that targets ATK is more or less effective than one that targets HP, given that the two don't really scale the same normally. Or is that overthinking the whole system? It seems like maybe you just use as many abilities as you can, go fight a battle, rinse & repeat until you've interrogated everybody.

Also Also, is Kunoichi kind of a worthless class, or is there some exploit or build I'm completely missing?

With interrogation you just use abilities whenever and experiment to see which works best, yeah. Iirc leveling the squad makes it much more efficient to level to the point where it’s a non-issue.

Kunoichi’s ability is stupidly good but not clear in what it does; any attack that’s not a spell, that can target more than one panel gets its evasion reduced in addition to area of effect stuff. So, like, if an attack is:

XXOXX

where X are the spots you can target and O is the spot you choose, it counts, because gently caress you. Or your enemies I guess.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

cheetah7071 posted:

you mean Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE?

but there needs to be war crimes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

but there needs to be war crimes

What is the forced removal of vagina bones if not that?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The main character being constantly praised while being dull as a stick is enough of a warcrime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HGH posted:

The main character being constantly praised while being dull as a stick is enough of a warcrime.

A war crime many JRPGs indulge in.

Looking at you Trails games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

A war crime many JRPGs indulge in.

Looking at you Trails games

I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of every breathing woman in the world squealing over Rean regardless of their age.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't played cs3 but i don't think rean even gets that treatment especially more than lloyd does, like 1/3 of the jokes around lloyd in trails from zero are about his relationships with women

also if anything trails in the sky is weirdly mean to its protagonist for a big chunk of it and sky 3rd is half about how kevin is a legitimately broken person

frankly tales of symphonia is a game that bothers me more for how its treats its protag than any trails game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 24, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i haven't played cs3 but i don't think rean even gets that treatment especially more than lloyd does, like 1/3 of the jokes around lloyd in trails from zero are about his relationships with women

also if anything trails in the sky is weirdly mean to its protagonist for a big chunk of it and sky 3rd is half about how kevin is a legitimately broken person

frankly tales of symphonia is a game that bothers me more for how its treats its protag than any trails game

CS3 takes what already existed and ramps it up to 100.It even introduces a new character whose entire gimmick is "hits on Rean nonstop, in every sentence."

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I love the Trails of Cold Steel games but yeah, it’s no lie when people say that almost all the ladies want Rean’s dillz and it does get pretty tiring when a new character gets introduced and they seem to be really cool and then the game goes “btw they want him too”

It’s not a major flaw, but it does get old.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
CS3 also has a lot of time devoted to Rean thinking Loyd is just the coolest despite never really meeting.

I get that you are supposed to project yourself into these people but tone it down a bit jeez

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Aegis Rim is pretty cool from the first hour I've played.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, when I came in to tell people that Disgaea 4 Complete+ was 40% off on PS4 and post this I wasn't expecting Disgaea to already be a topic before I got here.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1308873781323214849

HGH posted:

More games should be as bold as Tales of the Abyss, The World Ends With You and FF7 Remake to have a main character that sucks but gets better later on.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Thanks for all the advice about dungeon crawlers - I think I’m just gonna get a 3DS and play the EO games.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Also 3H cracked me up when I defeated who I assumed was the final boss and then someone found a note on their corpse that said ’actually the real baddies are these guys’. Should’ve put that on a postcard and sent it to me earlier.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

Thanks for all the advice about dungeon crawlers - I think I’m just gonna get a 3DS and play the EO games.

honestly tales of the abyss does it a little too well, i put the game down for like a year after that city got destroyed i hated luke so much

edit: i quoted the wrong post and goddang is it hard to correct on phone lol

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 25, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just found out that Tora in Xenoblade 2 has bizarrely coded AI that determines what he does by RNG.

The '50%' means he does it 50% of the time in these situations. This explains everything about how useless that boy is as a party member.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

CS3 takes what already existed and ramps it up to 100.It even introduces a new character whose entire gimmick is "hits on Rean nonstop, in every sentence."
musse is the best character in the entire trails series frankly. shes consistently hilarious

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

musse is the best character in the entire trails series frankly. shes consistently hilarious

:emptyquote:

CS3 is good in the first couple chapters but when Musse and Ash finally join the party the dynamic in the group becomes great.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Overall how is the story of Disgaea 5 compared to 2-4? I got maybe... halfway through 4 but at a certain point, Sardines/Fuko thinking this is all a dream/Final Boss jokes just became... too much

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I finished Ys VIII last night (first one I've played) and it was great! I really don't like action RPGs too much but this one's combat felt smooth and dumb enough for me to understand easily. Loved the setting and got more invested in the story than I thought I would.

Anyone got any suggestions on which Ys game to play next?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

40-Degree Day posted:

I finished Ys VIII last night (first one I've played) and it was great! I really don't like action RPGs too much but this one's combat felt smooth and dumb enough for me to understand easily. Loved the setting and got more invested in the story than I thought I would.

Anyone got any suggestions on which Ys game to play next?

ys seven and celceta are the other party-based ys games that are out right now, but i dunno how they compare to viii and ys 9 is coming out soon anyway so if you want more of that system it might be better to wait for that one.

if you don't mind a change of pace, origin and felghana are really good button mashy games where you just play as one character instead of a big party

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Just found out that Tora in Xenoblade 2 has bizarrely coded AI that determines what he does by RNG.

The '50%' means he does it 50% of the time in these situations. This explains everything about how useless that boy is as a party member.

So basically they wanted another Melia but just made the AI real bad instead of a kind of complicated mechanic the AI struggles with using properly, lol

MechaX posted:

Overall how is the story of Disgaea 5 compared to 2-4? I got maybe... halfway through 4 but at a certain point, Sardines/Fuko thinking this is all a dream/Final Boss jokes just became... too much

It’s alright enough, probably on the higher end of the series but honestly aside from a few characters I really like in these games I mostly look to non-Disgaea NIS stuff like Prinny, Makai Kingdom and Soul Nomad for cutscenes/story I actually enjoy. It doesn’t really have nearly as much “character catchphrase beaten into the ground” stuff though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
disgaea 5 is basically a cheesy shonen show. it's cute but not particularly interesting.

who plays disgaea for the story past the 2nd game anyway

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean most JRPGs are cheesy shonens

That genre just goes with video games so well

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

The Colonel posted:

ys seven and celceta are the other party-based ys games that are out right now, but i dunno how they compare to viii and ys 9 is coming out soon anyway so if you want more of that system it might be better to wait for that one.

if you don't mind a change of pace, origin and felghana are really good button mashy games where you just play as one character instead of a big party

I see that Origins is coming to the Switch soon! Gonna nab that for sure. Thanks for the tips!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MechaX posted:

I wish I could compare it to any of the other games bit I've only beaten 5 and I'm working my way through 1 at the moment. I really enjoyed 5 though, for what it's worth. I'd seen one of the characters and expected them to be an annoying mascot character and was pleasantly surprised when they were normal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RareAcumen posted:

More games should be as bold as Tales of the Abyss, The World Ends With You and FF7 Remake to have a main character that sucks but gets better later on.

neku gets better but he starts out so insufferable i really don't care how he changes. i just want to slap him. he exists in this place where for me as the player/reader, his change comes far too late and in far too marginal amounts. i regard him as tetsuya nomura's alter ego OC

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 25, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

disgaea is a franchise that needs a really good localization so it's very unfortunate about the whole NISA existing thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

neku gets better but he starts out so insufferable i really don't care how he changes. i just want to slap him. he exists in this place where for me as the player/reader, his change comes far too late and in far too marginal amounts. i regard him as tetsuya nomura's alter ego OC
neku isnt even that bad and idk what nomura has to do with the controversial decision of writing a teenage boy as a slightly whiny, sullen guy whos grumpy when he talks to girls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think if everyone on the internet could get over their weird hateboner for nomura the world would be a better place

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neku changes pretty fast, honestly? He gets stuff thrown in his face early on and resolves to open up by the end of the first week. The rest of the game is testing that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

neku isnt even that bad and idk what nomura has to do with the controversial decision of writing a teenage boy as a slightly whiny, sullen guy whos grumpy when he talks to girls.

Neku's cool and I love him and all but he almost murders his partner on day 2 even though she's been nothing but nice to him. Until like Day 4 I don't think he's meant to be particularly likeable. I mean there's 21 days all in all so this is only the first few hours of the game but still.

Agree that it's very weird people are blaming the character designer for the writing though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah Neku was whiny but like its the point and he got better pretty quickly.

I don't think he did anything to make him irredeemable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Neku's cool and I love him and all but he almost murders his partner on day 2 even though she's been nothing but nice to him. Until like Day 4 I don't think he's meant to be particularly likeable. I mean there's 21 days all in all so this is only the first few hours of the game but still.

Agree that it's very weird people are blaming the character designer for the writing though.

he's a bitter, antisocial little poo poo to begin with and he doesn't really grasp the enormity of his situation or actions until after he tries to kill shiki, so i can sort of understand it

karma comes back for him in the form of joshua anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TurnipFritter posted:

disgaea is a franchise that needs a really good localization so it's very unfortunate about the whole NISA existing thing.

They localise Disgaea just fine though?