Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like they finally have a date for the pledge manager closing for The Great Wall from Awaken Realms.

If anyone wants in, pledge manager closes 10/23, I'll help goons out at no cost to me, just pay shipping from me to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

My shipment tracking for Kodama Forest hasn't had an update since it left San Francisco on the 4th, which probably means the fuckers put it on the slow boat. People in loving Finland are getting that game already.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Did anyone get Planet Apocalypse? i'm kinda interested but like their last kickstarter it's not due until mid 2022?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/return-to-planet-apocalypse

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Did anyone get Planet Apocalypse? i'm kinda interested but like their last kickstarter it's not due until mid 2022?

Yes. It's pretty fun - deeper than it seems on the surface, also, although it's midweight at most still, and involves a lot of dice-chucking. But like most of Petersen Games' fare, it's tough for me to full-throatedly recommend it because it's so enormously expensive and space-consuming (and they as usual have neither provided for condensed, practical storage nor is there a third-party solution). Also, in this case, unlike Cthulhu Wars or Glorantha: The Gods' War, I don't think the core box will probably be enough for many people. There simply isn't enough variety without expansions. There's one Lord (the big boss), two maps, 2 4th Circle demons (which are picked at random whenever one would spawn) and like three "Legions" that mix up the abilities of the lesser demons. That doesn't make for very many plays before you've basically done it all before. Go all in, and there's tons and tons of variety...but right now that's nearly $700. The demon minis are pretty cool, FWIW.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 24, 2020

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

CODChimera posted:

My comments on PA from the main BG thread:

I went all in on the first KS and have played a couple of solo games. Everything in the game is huge (the maps, the minis, the player boards) It takes 4 giant boxes to store everything. There is a lot of variety between the characters you use, the main and sub boss that is used, and the map that you use. However, everything in the game comes down to die rolls and you need to roll higher than X number to do anything. This can lead to some frustration as there isn't much you can do in terms of dice mitigation.

Cthulhu: Death May Die does pretty much everything PA was trying to do, but in less time, with more variety, and a fun twist on your typical Cthulhu theme. I am excited to get DMD back to the table and I'm sort of regretting my PA purchase.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

There's a Kickstarter for a new hidden-roles game based on The Thing. It definitely hits the nostalgia factor for me, but it looks pretty expensive for what it is. Hopefully this one will actually encourage the aliens to sabotage the survivors instead of completely cooperating and hoping to win out of nowhere at the end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jimmeeee posted:

There's a Kickstarter for a new hidden-roles game based on The Thing. It definitely hits the nostalgia factor for me, but it looks pretty expensive for what it is. Hopefully this one will actually encourage the aliens to sabotage the survivors instead of completely cooperating and hoping to win out of nowhere at the end.

Didn’t someone put out a The Thing game on KS a couple of years ago?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I dont trust any The Thing kickstarter that makes playing as Childs a stretch goal

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

There's been quite a few attempts to do either an official Thing boardgame or one with the serial numbers filed off, probably some on KS. I don't know which one you'd specifically be thinking of, though. My impression is that they've generally not been very good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I dont trust any The Thing kickstarter

We should test it's blood, it's the only way to be sure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HardWiredIsland/status/1309105127639470081

An interesting form of KS cross-promotion

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Begging for money is a timeless speculative business practice.

Love what I have seen of the game so far, so hopefully this isn't a warning for Dire problems.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Apparently the Kickstarter for a fantasy version of DVG's Warfighter goes up on the 29th. Sounds pretty cool! I've ignored the modern and WW2 versions, but I wouldn't mind seeing how it works with elves and poo poo.

oh wait then someone mentioned that a few years ago he published "michael moore's started making ISIS propaganda videos so your elite special forces have to murder him" as a scenario so gently caress that

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Love what I have seen of the game so far, so hopefully this isn't a warning for Dire problems.

We're fine, I just wanted to get some extra art and the anime sponsor message thing sounded fun :getin:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Apparently the Kickstarter for a fantasy version of DVG's Warfighter goes up on the 29th. Sounds pretty cool! I've ignored the modern and WW2 versions, but I wouldn't mind seeing how it works with elves and poo poo.

oh wait then someone mentioned that a few years ago he published "michael moore's started making ISIS propaganda videos so your elite special forces have to murder him" as a scenario so gently caress that

What the gently caress

Who even still cared about Michael Moore in a post-2010 world

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ettin posted:

We're fine, I just wanted to get some extra art and the anime sponsor message thing sounded fun :getin:

:hmmyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bored and got to browsing KS's upcoming page

Cartographer Heroes + 3 Map Pack Expansion is listed for a 6th October launch, and you best believe I'm in the all-in tier. Cartographers is straight up the game most players at my table will ask to play at least once a session whenever I host.

They've put a playthrough preview up:
https://www.facebook.com/thunderworksgames/posts/3510106002390115
Nebblis Preview Map

Also apparently having another Mini-Expansion

3 map packs (And I'm going to have to buy an extra set for all 3 at the rate my group goes through it)

- Nebblis has an active volcano
- Undercity has a split map with an up and down area
- Affril... no idea!

Actual monsters who do things other than 'Be Annoying'

Dwarfs! (As if I wasn't insta-backing it already!)

The new box art will join together with the original game as well :swoon:

(I really really like Cartographers)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Lol, is it weird that my reaction is just, "A wargame developer is right-wing? No way!" Sometimes, I think I'd like to pick up some beginner chit-pull style wargame, but so many of them are based on scenarios that are problematic. Hmm, fending off the Zulus, you say...? Playing as Rommel in WW2...?

I also hated when I found out by a little snooping that the maker of smallbox solo games Iron Helm, Gate, Desolate, and a couple other fun independent releases is actually a conservative Trumper, too. I mean, at least he doesn't include any of it in his professional releases, it's just his personal social media, so I think there's a bit of a buffer there.

I think the hobby has improved over the past few years and become more inclusive, but board games probably still have a large proportion of white male chuds.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 25, 2020

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Infinitum posted:

3 map packs (And I'm going to have to buy an extra set for all 3 at the rate my group goes through it)

- Nebblis has an active volcano
- Undercity has a split map with an up and down area
- Affril... no idea!

Buy a laminator and some fine point wet-erase markers. Your maps will be infinitely re-usable, they won't smudge during play, and the colors will really pop.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Suddenly Susan posted:

Buy a laminator and some fine point wet-erase markers. Your maps will be infinitely re-usable, they won't smudge during play, and the colors will really pop.

This is something I will probably do once I'm down to my final few sheets, but until then I feel that drawing on a bit of paper with a pencil is a large part of the games appeal.

There's just something calm, warm, and personal about drawing your own little world on a bit of paper; like a long dormant part of your childhood :3:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Suddenly Susan posted:

I'd add to leave a generous margin around the board, so that there is a generous extra buffer of space that doesn't get markered up.

It'll make wiping clean FAR easier and less messy, trust me :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What kind of game is it? A roll and write? How does it work

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
So what laminator do people recommend?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am fortunate enough to just order from the local copy shop (which happens to be Staples) and order a color printout on cardstock + lamination, and pick it up when it's ready. It's a very affordable alternative to buying a laminator, but not as cool.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I am fortunate enough to just order from the local copy shop (which happens to be Staples) and order a color printout on cardstock + lamination, and pick it up when it's ready. It's a very affordable alternative to buying a laminator, but not as cool.

I have a color laser printer w/scanning photocopying capability, so I can make a color print on card stock myself. I just don't know which of the dozens of laminators on amazon are "good enough".

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You can also take the thing you printed yourself to Staples (or wherever) and get it laminated for like a buck and a half.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

malkav11 posted:

There's been quite a few attempts to do either an official Thing boardgame or one with the serial numbers filed off, probably some on KS. I don't know which one you'd specifically be thinking of, though. My impression is that they've generally not been very good.

The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31, which was 2 years ago apparently.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

rydiafan posted:

You can also take the thing you printed yourself to Staples (or wherever) and get it laminated for like a buck and a half.

Yeah but for $25-$40 I can get a laminator on amazon and not have to deal with travel or people.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I mean that's absolutely fair, depending on how often you'll use it and/or how much you hate people.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

You may also be thinking of Who Goes There, which just had a second edition on KS. I guess that's more of a book adaption though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just use the bog standard Amazon Brand Laminator for $25: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI5QWS/

I've probably laminated at least 50 things through it, and it hasn't gotten jammed once. It does what it's supposed to do, A++ would buy again.

Then you need some sleeves. 3mm for thinner pieces, 5mm if you want it really stiff.

Amazon basics 3mm for $13.50 has been working just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWU3HNY/

This brand's 5mm is supposed to be super clear, so I ordered it. Seems fine so far. $17 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N5422OK/

Both of the sheets above come in packs of 100, so after you get the laminator for $25, each thing you laminate thereafter is 13c-17c.

Then, you'll want a slide cutter to make nice straight cuts for things that don't use a whole sheet. I use this Fiskars one for $14 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SLC3IU/

And if you're cutting things, you won't want pointy edges. Get this cheaper corner cutter that does three different radii of cuts, for $12 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076FJ7SS/

(I feel like this is the third time I've typed this up in this thread)
Edit: This is not the boardgame thread, sorry. They're in there.

Also, things I've laminated:
Player aids that come with the game.
Player aids printed from bgg files.
Chicago Express stocks.
Literally all of the money in The Estates. I do not recommend that one.
Boardgame prototyping stuff.
Roll and write sheets.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 26, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah I have the Amazon laminator too, it's great.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ravendas posted:

laminator talk

Thanks! And yeah I should have asked in the other thread. Sorry for the derail.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Impermanent posted:

What kind of game is it? A roll and write? How does it work

Draw and Write would be more accurate?

The short version is there are 4 seasons, each season scores differently, you keep drawing cards until you reach the end of a season, the cards you draw will have shapes on them and you fill them in on your sheet.
You want to combo the shapes against the different seasons to score the most points.

Once you start getting good at it you'll learn to setup for bigger combos in the later seasons.
Everything is randomised, so no 2 games are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCt5JFkbOvc

My only 'complaint' about base Cartographers is that there needs to be more variety in the cards; which Heroes will solve.
It's still a very very very good game, and worth of the Spiel des Jahres nomination last year.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/free-hq-of-na-2020/heroquest-outside-of-na

quote:

this project is just to show hasbro how the market is asking for heroquest outside of US/CAN only

so there will be no physical rewards

every rewards and objective will be scale down to 1/100th of the original project on pulse

the money will be use to make heroquest event to let young player discover the game

and pay an artist to make an orignal digital illustration of heroquest sended to you as a rewards

we will use update to ask backer idea on what should be taken in account as upgrade to 2020 for the game system to give hasbro more hint of what player want

disclamer we didn't own any right on the trademark or ilustration all of them are hasbro property

link to the original => https://heroquest.avalonhill.com

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Every other HasLab project has had an alternative source of purchase made available for people in the EU and other regions. No reason to assume this won't be the case again.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
But no guarantee you get the content tagged as exclusive though. I thought if they did straight heroquest, they would include an optional revised ruleset with some of the things learned about game design in the last thirty years.

The Europe/UK sized hole in this market seems like the perfect time for GW to roll out a Warhammer Quest reprint set in the Old World.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just letting y'all know, I handed off the final files for the Roleplayers Guide To Heists to the San jenaro co-op last week. I don't know when they're planning on launching but should be pretty soon. I think they're doing the required proof from DriveThru rn

I'm really proud of this book and I hope everyone likes it. Every entry in the book is just a delight to read and I'm just deeply impressed at everyone who worked on it. Hope it gets to everybodies hands soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Map-drawing Board Games

Have you tried the App? Any idea if it provides a solid sample of gameplay?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just letting y'all know, I handed off the final files for the Roleplayers Guide To Heists to the San jenaro co-op last week. I don't know when they're planning on launching but should be pretty soon. I think they're doing the required proof from DriveThru rn

I'm really proud of this book and I hope everyone likes it. Every entry in the book is just a delight to read and I'm just deeply impressed at everyone who worked on it. Hope it gets to everybodies hands soon!

Congrats, I'm looking forward to it!