Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Like I get 80s TV budget restraints and stuff, but it’s funny how tiny the D engine room set looks nowadays.

It's thematically great, because TNG is all about how space travel is so comfortable that ships are basically now just lounges and everyone works in their pyjamas, and engineering is the one room where they still tried to make it as comfortable a possible and there's a begrudging concession to the fact that this is a working environment so you do actually need access to the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nodosaur posted:

"Veritas" may be the best episode of the series yet.

Also, Rutherford's full name is Samanthan?

It’s an Indian name.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

It’s an Indian name.

I'm just making sure I heard it right

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just making sure I heard it right

that's what wikipedia's got it down as.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Every time I see a warp core I think about how nobody ever remarks on the sheer insanity of having a matter-antimatter reaction happening right next to people working. There isn't even a wall.

I guess it's a situation where if something goes wrong it doesn't matter how many walls you're behind anyway. But it still feels like operating a nuclear reactor from inside the reactor.

this makes that giant seal for the core that geordi would dive under very funny in retrospect (yeah i get the intent was probably to prevent coolant from getting all over the ship but drat are you confident in your safety systems to not have that down all the time)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crusader posted:

this makes that giant seal for the core that geordi would dive under very funny in retrospect (yeah i get the intent was probably to prevent coolant from getting all over the ship but drat are you confident in your safety systems to not have that down all the time)

That door is a last resort. Their first resort is probably a force field since they can generate those anywhere they want in the ship with basically zero notice. Hell, their force field technology is so good it's one of the main ways they hold the ship together when it's under stress.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

That door is a last resort. Their first resort is probably a force field since they can generate those anywhere they want in the ship with basically zero notice. Hell, their force field technology is so good it's one of the main ways they hold the ship together when it's under stress.

you are correct; lines about structural integrity fields are meant to convey that and i forgot 😊

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

Every time I see a warp core I think about how nobody ever remarks on the sheer insanity of having a matter-antimatter reaction happening right next to people working. There isn't even a wall.

I guess it's a situation where if something goes wrong it doesn't matter how many walls you're behind anyway. But it still feels like operating a nuclear reactor from inside the reactor.
It's antimatter, so really you could be operating it from Ten-Forward with exactly the same degree of risk.

Trek (and sci-fi in general) really underestimates just how powerful a matter/antimatter explosion would be. A single photon torpedo (1.5kg of antimatter) should be well in excess of the 50 Mt Tsar Bomba. And a starship carries thousands of tons of the stuff.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Payndz posted:

It's antimatter, so really you could be operating it from Ten-Forward with exactly the same degree of risk.

Trek (and sci-fi in general) really underestimates just how powerful a matter/antimatter explosion would be. A single photon torpedo (1.5kg of antimatter) should be well in excess of the 50 Mt Tsar Bomba. And a starship carries thousands of tons of the stuff.

"Just spitballing, does the matter/antimatter reaction have to be on the ship?"
"Ye- well, y- well what do you mean?"
"Can we like, put it outside the ship, and just send all the energy at the ship in like a focused beam?"
"Like a phaser? Seems like a risky idea..."
"What if it was in subspace, or a pocket universe, and we just phased the energy it produces over to the ship?"
"Did you replicate yourself an edible for breakfast?"
"Or just keep the A/M reaction suspended in a transporter beam, collect the energy it produces in our capacitors, and shut down the transporter if anything goes wrong."
"I want so badly to tell you why any of this poo poo wouldn't quite work but I don't... know why."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Senor Tron posted:

There was apparently a couple of mentions of how they'd like to do a Strange New Worlds crossover. Doubt it will happen, but if it did would love it if they had the SNW crew animated in Lower Decks, and then had a brief shot of them live action in the "Previously, on SNW..." intro to the next SNW episode.

Any crossovers with 23rd century characters should be drawn and animated in the old TAS style. Even if it's just those characters and the Cerritos crew are unchanged.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Payndz posted:

And now you've reminded me of that Disco scene where Pike survives a torpedo explosion like three meters away from him because he closed the door.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

"Just spitballing, does the matter/antimatter reaction have to be on the ship?"
"Ye- well, y- well what do you mean?"
"Can we like, put it outside the ship, and just send all the energy at the ship in like a focused beam?"
"Like a phaser? Seems like a risky idea..."

Careful, the last time somebody tried that, they accidentally almost destroyed the entire planet they were sending the test ship to.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Martytoof posted:

Just rewatched it — did anyone mention how the tablet of honor or whatever that everything was supposed to be inscribed on looks like it’s written in cuneiform?

:lol: “You only paid for twenty two minutes”

Best part of that.. said it at 22 minutes into the episode.

Anyways, this is a fun show and thats all it needs to be.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

And now you've reminded me of that Disco scene where Pike survives a torpedo explosion like three meters away from him because he closed the door.

The thing with Section 31 not following the rules is that they sometimes have defective photon torpedoes. It failed to explode on impact, and the yield was really pathetic.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As far back as TOS it gets stated that a single starship is powerful enough to sterilize an entire planet by itself. This gets restated various times across the other series.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

piratepilates posted:

I think the Q gag was over the top, but I did really like the concept behind it of "an incomprehensible melange of every game at once".

Um, it was just calvinball?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

socialsecurity posted:

Oh my god who gives a gently caress about references.

When the walls fell

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A.o.D. posted:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As far back as TOS it gets stated that a single starship is powerful enough to sterilize an entire planet by itself. This gets restated various times across the other series.
One of the James Blish TOS adaptations (I think 'Operation: Annihilate!') - which were often based on earlier script drafts than were filmed - has the Enterprise letting rip with a "planet-wrecker", which does exactly what it says on the tin. Just what an exploration vessel should be carrying!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Um, it was just calvinball?

I prefer to think that without Picard, Sisko, and Janeway to bother regularly anymore, Q has just gone straight up bonkers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

One of the James Blish TOS adaptations (I think 'Operation: Annihilate!') - which were often based on earlier script drafts than were filmed - has the Enterprise letting rip with a "planet-wrecker", which does exactly what it says on the tin. Just what an exploration vessel should be carrying!

In Obsession Kirk took a fairly small cannister of the Enterprise's antimatter down to Tycho 4 with him and the explosion blew the atmosphere off the planet and cratered it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 26, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

In Obsession Kirk took a fairly small cannister of the Enterprise's antimatter down to Tycho 4 with him and the explosion blew the atmosphere off the planet and cratered it.

"What does this button do?"
- James T. Kirk

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Yes but I queued you anyway since you're the only person who I think has asked about it since the Sunday cutoff!

Thank you. My fault for not keeping up with the forums lately.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

It turns out that the energy necessary to bend spacetime makes mundane tasks like planetwrecking seem trivial in comparison.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

The only thing I'm not comfortable with is the part where rutherford goes unconscious everytime implants restart or anything. This is bad design irl but also an easy plot device. C'mon he can be fun!

The writers have already established in previous episodes that his vulcan implant doesn't interface with a human brain very well, so it's not like the joke is unearned.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 26, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
The only thing I'm not comfortable with is the part where rutherford goes unconscious everytime implants restart or anything. This is bad design irl but also an easy plot device. C'mon he can be fun!

apatheticman posted:

Best part of that.. said it at 22 minutes into the episode.

Anyways, this is a fun show and thats all it needs to be.

In tyool 2020 this is the subtle meta joke.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I liked the Firefly gag at least, because it was a quick reference-and-youre-done instead of shouting a big long list of 'em.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

A "crazy Ivan" is a naval reference (it is a maneuvering tactic used by Russian submarine commanders) and did not originate with Firefly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Huh. I've learnt something today. Not bad for a saturday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ashpanash posted:

A "crazy Ivan" is a naval reference (it is a maneuvering tactic used by Russian submarine commanders) and did not originate with Firefly.

I feel it was deliberately more invoking Firefly though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got Hunt for Red October.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I feel it was deliberately more invoking Firefly though.

I think that's reaching a ton. Crazy Ivan dates back to several decades ago in the Cold War and it wasn't just Clancy who used it in fiction; basically every naval / submarine fiction writer of the era used the maneuver at some point.

Occam's Razor, people. What's more likely? A reference to an infamously risky technique used by Soviet commanders for decades, or a callback to an incredibly unpopular episode of a niche show forgotten by most?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not ever having watched Firefly all the way though I will say — don’t underestimate how influential it was to its superfans. I can 100% believe that a space show written by nerds would probably contain a reference to another space show.

But ultimately unless you guys ask the writers, it’s not something we’ll ever know so... we ALL get to be right, as far as we know. And if it resonated with you then they did their job well enough :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Martytoof posted:

Same.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Martytoof posted:

Shame here. We shail into hishtory!

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Perhaps, it was a Good Joke that works on two different kind of nerds?

Nah.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Payndz posted:

Shame here. We shail into hishtory!

Now they shall tremble again, at the sound of our silence. The order is, engage the Spore Drive!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CommanderApaul posted:

Now they shall tremble again, at the shound of our shilence. The order ish, engage the Shpore Drive!

Fixshed

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Mishes Burnam, one hail only

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It'sh like a game of tri-dimenshional chesh againsht our oldest advershary.... the Federasshun Navy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

we oshmoshe our mosht brackish gratitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Some things in there do not react well to phashures