Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

JBP posted:

GWs prices are become insane for real. No wonder everyone plays marines, they're "affordable" thanks to starter boxes and you can buy them on eBay.

Admech dragoons/iron striders are basically $1 a point in canadian dollars. Makes it expensive to get a large number of them

edit:

holy crap, that's a nice playing surface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Admech dragoons/iron striders are basically $1 a point in canadian dollars. Makes it expensive to get a large number of them

I really want to get 2 more of these for my army, but between being expensive, and a lot of work to assemble and paint, it just hasn't been worth it. I need to get around to setting up a saved search on Ebay for them to hopefully get a good deal on two more that are either finished, or just ready to prime/paint.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How the hell do people even transport their armies around now that every list runs like 3+ units that are like the size of a small infant. Especially people who fly to tournaments and stuff, I would be so insanely nervous about them just getting demolished.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I sold my admech for this reason and decided not to proceed with sisters for same. All I can really afford is space marines using cheap boxed sets.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

holy crap, that's a nice playing surface

Thanks! Making it kept me sane the first few months of lockdown.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How the hell do people even transport their armies around now that every list runs like 3+ units that are like the size of a small infant. Especially people who fly to tournaments and stuff, I would be so insanely nervous about them just getting demolished.

I got wise to the magic of magnets finally (advised long ago by a fellow nid player in the old thread) and started adding them to the bases of my monsters. I got a roll of adhesive steel tape and adhesive magnet tape from amazon. Magnet strip on the base, steel on the cheap plastic box. Ofc a metal box would also work but I didn't have one to hand.

Has the bonus that all my magnetised weapon limbs and heads can go on the sides like a big trophy room.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Thanks! Making it kept me sane the first few months of lockdown.

I got wise to the magic of magnets finally (advised long ago by a fellow nid player in the old thread) and started adding them to the bases of my monsters. I got a roll of adhesive steel tape and adhesive magnet tape from amazon. Magnet strip on the base, steel on the cheap plastic box. Ofc a metal box would also work but I didn't have one to hand.

Has the bonus that all my magnetised weapon limbs and heads can go on the sides like a big trophy room.

Hah, that's really clever and looks pretty cool, I will definitely have to give that a try. I used to see everyone using foam-lined boxes but with the scale creep and gigantic setpiece units there's just no way that's practical for anything but like a 500 point game anymore.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

I understand the economics involved and all, but it's still hilarious that this:

is the same price as this:

(the latter of which I caved and ordered today, to finally be able to put together a full table myself)

To be honest I think the terrain from GW, including that kit, is poor value for money. With the silent king model it's gorgeously designed, and it's filling a centre peice gameplay role for your army, you can only ever have one of him, and when you take him he's expensive points wise, so it doesn't feel too bad.

With that terrain kit I think even a 44 x 30 board would feel really open and you'd struggle to really have a fun game.

There's also the aspect of technically I could get a knock off 3d printed version of the silent king for cheap, but I wouldn't want to because I want it to look good. Whereas if I buy cheap terrain even MDF dirt cheap stuff can easily be made to look good enough. Like for the price of a single piece of GQ terrain I have enough for a crowded city fight style 44x30 board, or a normal 44x60 board.

I mean I'd like it if the greater daemons were cheaper as I want to buy one of each, but the silent king being the same price doesn't bother me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GoLambo posted:

GW's price increases seem to be pretty on part with the cost increase in food.

Yeah both are mostly bullshit and haven't kept pace with wages for a very long time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GW prices are not subject to the same kind of market pressure as food. They charge the absolute ceiling value that customers will tolerate. They use the same model as golf clubs.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hah, that's really clever and looks pretty cool, I will definitely have to give that a try. I used to see everyone using foam-lined boxes but with the scale creep and gigantic setpiece units there's just no way that's practical for anything but like a 500 point game anymore.

I hated my foam case. The smallest point of a sword, or gun, or helmet, etc, would catch in the foam and one slightly too hard of a tug and BAM, off it comes.

I'm so glad I switched to magnet style cases.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Cross-posting my Night Lords progress:

HeavingGirth posted:

Hey, thanks for the feedback, guys! The Night Raptors are now done too:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I sold my admech for this reason and decided not to proceed with sisters for same. All I can really afford is space marines using cheap boxed sets.

I feel bad for non-Space Marines players having to hope for the... what, two big box sets per edition that might include their faction? 8th had two, didn't it? One had Death Guard and the other, I think it was Dark Eldar?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I had an incredibly productive day of kitbashing!

• Got all my squats put together out of the bloodbowl giants team and the Arkanaut kit (24 models)
  • Finished my Iron Warriors Warsmith
  • Converted Myrmidon Destructors to act as IW Obliterators
  • Built an IW noise marine
  • Finished building my 6 armed herald of Khorne out of the herald from the blood chariot, lizardmen bits, and some other random stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LifeLynx posted:

I feel bad for non-Space Marines players having to hope for the... what, two big box sets per edition that might include their faction? 8th had two, didn't it? One had Death Guard and the other, I think it was Dark Eldar?

Box sets with multiple factions in 8th:

Dark Imperium (Marines and Death Guard)
Forgebane (AdMech and Necrons)
Wake the Dead (Marines and Craftworlds)
Blood of the Phoenix (Craftworlds and Dark Eldar)
Saga of the Beast (Space Wolves and Orks)
Tooth and Claw (Space Wolves and Genestealer Cult)

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

That precise issue isn't really a problem. GW's current release strategy for new models very often involves putting them into a big (non-starter) box along with some older models and a bunch of models from another army. For months after release, that big box will be the only way to get those new models.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Forgebane is kinda funny because the shiny new model on the admech side wasn't even an actual admech model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maneck posted:

That precise issue isn't really a problem. GW's current release strategy for new models very often involves putting them into a big (non-starter) box along with some older models and a bunch of models from another army. For months after release, that big box will be the only way to get those new models.

This is an issue because those boxes are not good value compared to the big edition launch boxes.

Rules chat: can exploding 6s happen more than once? Like could assault doctrine wolves, exhortation of rage and gene wrought might all go off together?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

Rules chat: can exploding 6s happen more than once? Like could assault doctrine wolves, exhortation of rage and gene wrought might all go off together?

Generally not.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

With that terrain kit I think even a 44 x 30 board would feel really open and you'd struggle to really have a fun game.

There's also the aspect of technically I could get a knock off 3d printed version of the silent king for cheap, but I wouldn't want to because I want it to look good. Whereas if I buy cheap terrain even MDF dirt cheap stuff can easily be made to look good enough. Like for the price of a single piece of GQ terrain I have enough for a crowded city fight style 44x30 board, or a normal 44x60 board.

After years of using dirt cheap 3rd-party terrain at my local club I definitely prefer the newer GW plastic stuff, it looks the best and feels far more robust. A lot of the MDF pieces I've played on seem quite fragile and fiddly. I've had to repair my metal Zoanthropes more than once because of wobbly ruins.

For 44x30 I think this looks pretty good and not too sparse:

Those pieces are probably not ones I'd have wanted under 8E terrain rules, but with this edition I can't really fault it. Everything there will have a use now.

It's also nice to get the decent card game boards, as my home dining table isn't wide enough and a rollup mat would droop over the edges.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To be fair a gaming club is one of the few places where investing in the GW terrain is worth it imp for both durability and because its a relatively small investment to make your tables look awesome and encourage people to play there rather than at home.

Had no problems with my MDF terrain as of yet, but I expect were I to have people playing with it multiple times a day for a while I could see it deteriorating.

I guess I see terrain as something that can easily be replaced by far cheaper alternatives and still look pretty good (or even better than GW stuff), whereas the models are something you're not really going to be able to replicate, so it doesn't bother me with the prices.

That kit in particular I think is also much better value for money than most GW terrain, though I is a bit sparse in terms of LoS blocking or obscuring terrain for my liking.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Somebody (midwinterminis maybe) did a video recently comparing prices from an old 90s price list to today’s prices, adjusted for inflation and such. At least in GBP.
The conclusion was... GW minis have always been expensive. But overall they’re not that much more expensive than they were back then.
Sure some units have increased in relative cost (a few extremely) but some have also decreased in cost(a few extremely) and most are pretty close to the same relative cost as they were 25 years ago.
Even the books have maintained pretty much the same relative cost.

What has increased is the number of minis fielded in a typical game and the breadth of desirable units which both balloon the apparent cost of an army.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
This video?

https://youtu.be/nuMyKSP13Pg

It was discussed in my local gaming group and most people were satisfied with the conclusion that not much has gone up.

However I think he glosses over the fact that kits that people need to buy the multiples of for a functional and/or good army have gone up more. Like the example he gives of the Death Guard squad getting a massive hike is compounded by the fact a DG player will probably want a good few boxes to fill out their army. And it still sticks in my craw that Tyranid hive guard, the tip top meta unit for Tyranids, is 55 euro per 3 models (buy 4 to compete).

Also the army size creep that's been going on for several editions (I know it's taking a backward step in 9th). A more interesting conclusion would have been comparing costs of an entire 1k/2k point army then and now imo.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

A more interesting conclusion would have been comparing costs of an entire 1k/2k point army then and now imo.

That's a little tricky as back in the 90's there was a huuuuge variation in cost between factions compared to now, largely due to there being far fewer plastic kits around. You could pickup Marines, Orks and later Dark Eldar troops by the literal bucketload, but equivalent core units for armies like Guard or Daemons were virtually all metal.

I know it's still not even now (as any GSC player with Acolytes will tell you ), but it's much closer. Start Collecting and other boxed sets help lower the cost of entry. I started my AdMech army very cheaply thanks to people breaking up Forgebane boxes on ebay.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I currently have 4 (old style) Immolators (+2 unassembled), 3 (old style) Rhinos, 2 (rip) Repressors, 2 (old) Exorcists and just bought two of the new Exorcists kits because they're dope and I couldn't resist.

I am drowning in rhino-based vehicles so this is absolutely the last thing I need but: What's the diameter of the door circle on a deimos rhino, and will the fleur-de-lis doors from the Exorcist fit it?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I finished a model this week. :toot:
A Sslyth painted as a commission for a friend.

Not that many casting mishaps on it, even if the back collar was a bit mangled I noticed. After having primed and started painting it of course. But otherwise no gaping holes and only some gap filling had to be done just near the bottom.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JBP posted:

This is an issue because those boxes are not good value compared to the big edition launch boxes.

Yes. It's absolutely possible to roll a single 6 and get three hits out of it.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Here is my Celestine I am working on.Trying to make her unique and cool looking.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
A save/recovery paint job today...

For context on what this guy looked like before, here's a group shot. He's in the back next to the defunct farseer. It's hard to see, but easy to tell he's not in good shape. He was literally black, red and yellow. Nothing else.

Took me a few hours, but, went pretty well. I wasn't looking at doing a stellar job. Just reviving him for rare usage. I wanted to spend the day painting a Despoiler, but for whatever reason my last order from GW is taking much longer than normal and it didn't arrive on time.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So two of my friends came over today having bought an Elite Starter edition set, and we played a game of doubles, them vs my girlfriend and me. The armies were:

quote:

Home Team:

- Space Wolves -
- Ragnar Blackmane, Warlord
- 5 Assault Intercessors
- 5 Wolf Guard Terminators, 3 TH/SS, 2 Wolf Claws

- Word Bearers -
- Dark Apostle, Warlord (Exalted Possession), The Cursed Crozius, Omen of Potency
- 5 CSM with Bolt pistols and Chainswords
- 5 Terminators with Combi-plasma and Chain Axes

Away Team:

- White Scars -
- 1 Indomitus Primaris Captain, Warlord (Chorgorian Storm), Plume of the Plainsrunner
- 5 Assault Intercessors w/ Plasma Pistol Sergeant
- 3 Primaris Outriders

- Mephrit Dynasty -
- Overlord, Warlord (Implacable Conqueror), The Veil of Darkness
- 10 Necron Warriors
- 3 Scarab Swarm bases
3 Skorpehk Destroyers, with plasmacyte

We just played the Open War intro mission and didn't bother with CP and strats to ease them into it all. Sadly the intro mission asks players to place down objectives, and as a result they were more on one half than the other, and we (the home team) got to pick the half and got first turn.

As a result we could essentially grab 3 objectives and force the Away team to come to us, which is exactly what we did on our first turn.

The first move our opponents made was to managed to kill two wolfguard terminators who were stood in the middle of the board, as the Word Bearers were hidiing on the other two objectives with plenty of cover.

What happens next can best be described as the primaris outriders crashing into Ragnar Blackmane, who killed them all suffering from some injuries as a result.

Then the great conversation happened where my girlfriend and me were discussing what to do next, and I suggested she could consolidate all her forces on the centre objective holding onto it while I hold the other two. My girlfriend decided that in fact what her Space Wolves should do is charge across the battlefield and take the fight to the necrons. It was a ballsy move and Ragnar is so crazy good I was like "Maybe it would work, it's not the safe strategy but it's up to you". Ragnar and the three remaining terminators charged across the map, killed all of the necron warriors, and then got into a fight with the overlord and the destroyers.

It ended up with just the terminator sergeant left fighting 2 destroyers and the overlord, and I pointed out she could attack the destroyers which she's more likely to kill, or try to kill the overlord. She told me that you should "go big or go home" and I watched as her sergeant smashed the overlord into the dirt.

Meanwhile the White Scars captain and his cronies had got the jump on the Space Wolf Assault Intercessors, and tore them to shreds in combat. As the White Scars revelled in their victory, the Word Bearers sprung their ambush, shooting apart the Assault Intercessors with combi-plasma, before the entire detachment charged the Captain, who stood defiantly blocking bolt pistol shots with his shield, until the Dark Apostle caved his helmet in with his cursed mace.

The destroyers finished off the hero sergeant but at that point the game was over. The Word Bearers only took 1 casualty (a terminator blew himself up with his combi-plasma), the Space Wolves and White Scars are all dead, and the Necrons are basically dead.

A classic Word Bearers betrayal to let the Space Wolves run up unsupported.

Here are some photos taken during the game:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Strobe posted:

Yes. It's absolutely possible to roll a single 6 and get three hits out of it.

It's gimmicky and stupid but I'm going to try it with my th/ss terminators lol.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So the WarCom article says that the codices will be avilable this week for SM and Necrons, do we think thats an actual release or pre-order?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got the impression the release would be on the 10th

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Kitchner posted:

So the WarCom article says that the codices will be avilable this week for SM and Necrons, do we think thats an actual release or pre-order?

Word on the street -

So hyped for that big bikey lad!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Oops, totally missed that column when I looked at it earlier, I was focused on the price bit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The new Orlock box needs to hurry up and be released so I can get my hand on those good dogs from bits sellers

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Harkano posted:

Word on the street -

I’m not sure why anyone would buy an invader instead of a speeder at this point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can you have a primaris wolf priest on a bike?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harkano posted:

Word on the street -

Death Guard codex when :colbert:

He asks, as if he's going to get to play ever again :(

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you have a primaris wolf priest on a bike?

I don't think anyone is really sure how the interaction between say the Space Wolves supplement and the Space Marine codex will work for units that are basically the same but slightly different.

So like Space Marines have Chalpains, Space Wolves have Wolf Priests. Does this mean that Codex: Space Marines will say "if you're a space wolf you can't take this"? Or can you take chaplains and wolf priests? Or does Supplement: Space Wolves say you can't take chaplains and must take wolf priests instead? In which case before it's released does that mean RAW you can take them both?

I'm interested to see what the interaction is between them as the other chapters with supplements have never really had their own codex, and any unique units (like the ultramarine tyranid hunters or special characters) don't really clash with the units in the main codex, they are "in addition you can take" rather than "instead of X you take Y".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The supplement will just say "replaces chaplain" or whatever and basically be the same thing but with tale of the wolf king and lord of the deeps plus balms. I don't think it will be too hard for them to just have a unit list in the supplement that excludes things like apothecaries.