Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GotLag posted:

Yeah, and that excuse not getting called out is infuriating because it would be such a loving slam dunk for any reporter worth a drat.

But then they'd lost access.

And that's vastly more important to reporters than something as meaningless as the truth. Don't get paid for the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Knobb Manwich posted:

Ngl I love the scandals where they have to insist they're not corrupt they're just so incompetent you wouldn't trust them with $20 buying snacks for movie night.

Honestly, why not both? They buy you the wrong snack, which is worse, and also the rest of that $20 is gone.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just what we need alp thank u

https://twitter.com/annastaciamp/status/1310045386455744512?s=21

u oblivious fucks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Queens "cop central" Land

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I have mates in FNQ and they say that a car gets stolen from Townsville every night and it's a huge problem up there.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Not all private schoolboys

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1309968551164473346

I don't think my class did poo poo, one dude set up a weber on the roof and threw down BBQ but that was about it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 27, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think my class did poo poo, one dude set up a weber on the roof and threw down BBQ but that was about it

Wasn't my grade but I remember coming in through the gates on the morning of a muck up day and the poor groundskeeper was pulling a pig's head off the crossing pole.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What's the odds on QLD LNP still being in power in the next *checks watch* month and 4 days time?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

What's the odds on QLD LNP still being in power in the next *checks watch* month and 4 days time?

Odds on them "still being in power in the next month and 4 days time"? Pretty small, I'd say. Y'know, what with a current labor government and all.

Afterwards? Not great, I'd say. Labor haven't exactly covered themselves in roses, but they've repelled all furriners from invading our pristine land (read those dodgies from NSW and Victoria). There's been no major outbreak here, and there haven't been too many ministers having to resign.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

I have mates in FNQ and they say that a car gets stolen from Townsville every night and it's a huge problem up there.
Police don’t prevent crime

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the QLD election seems like it will be very close and fairly unpredictable especially considering the complete lack of recent polling but at this point the most likely outcome seems to be labor just manage to hang onto their tiny majority, maintaining the status quo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

*looks up who was in power just over 30 years ago in quwensland*

Ah, well then

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

You’d think one of them would have put it in the garage if it keeps getting stolen every night

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The biggest increase in police since the Fitzgerald inquiry is a great campaign imo, go wild

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

hmmm.... alp..... bad..??! wowza *shockedp ikachu*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is now a #ProudShoreMums thread.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

bowmore posted:

Police don’t prevent crime

This isn't as clear cut as you are making it out to be, there is good evidence that police do deter crime and the more there are the more crime is deterred. https://mason.gmu.edu/~atabarro/TerrorAlertProofs.pdf

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Solemn Sloth posted:

The biggest increase in police since the Fitzgerald inquiry is a great campaign imo, go wild

I was convinced by the pictures of dogs

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This is now a #ProudShoreMums thread.

poo poo in one of their stupid hats and jam it back on their head - 20 points

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

chinigz posted:

This isn't as clear cut as you are making it out to be, there is good evidence that police do deter crime and the more there are the more crime is deterred. https://mason.gmu.edu/~atabarro/TerrorAlertProofs.pdf

quote:

Do police deter crime? A majority of studies surveyed found that either
there is no relationship or increases in the number of police are associated
with increases in the level of crime.

First para introduction.

A paper in which two economist desperately flail around to try and defend the indefensible. :bravo:

The biggest problem is they are asking the wrong loving question. Maybe if we tried "What causes crime?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zqb2pv4/revision/2#:~:text=The%20causes%20of%20crime%20are,into%20which%20they%20are%20born.

quote:

The causes of crime are complex. Poverty, parental neglect, low self-esteem, alcohol and drug abuse can be connected to why people break the law. Some are at greater risk of becoming offenders because of the circumstances into which they are born.
So unless the police are all rich, exemplarity parents, skilled motivational speakers who do extensive rehab work then their effect on crime is likely to be limited. This problem has been kicked around since the start of the 'tough on crime', 'war on drugs' bullshit first became a political winner. The result has been a bunch of ridiculously designed and scoped studies trying to defend a completely political policy while the rest of the acedemic world gets on with publishing proper work that identifies the actual causes of crime and the economic solutions that have 100% nothing to do with policing.

Seriously the evidence against the proposition more po po = less crime is so vastly overwhelming you'd have to be significantly ignorant of the whole field of criminology over the last 5 decades to even bring it up.

The police do however manage to exterminate a bunch of first nations people who are criminals because not enough police?

Mr Toby died after the Toyota Hilux he was driving rolled on an unsealed section of road about 27km north of Kununurra. He was being followed by police in another Hilux who had attempted to flag him down in town to perform a random breath test. The coroner said police had misinterpreted their own emergency driving policy, and three officers were reprimanded for allowing the pursuit. Toby was on bail for driving offences including drink driving and driving unlicensed and had never held a driving licence. His blood alcohol level was five times the legal limit.

ISSUES RAISED
Procedures not all followed, injured in custody, mental health / cognitive impairment.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you Cartoon

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Solemn Sloth posted:

You’d think one of them would have put it in the garage if it keeps getting stolen every night

I'm not saying I support the viewpoint but I can guess why the alp is appeasing that blip on the election radar

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I half suspect that because of the BLM/HK/Yellow Jackets and other popular unrest around the world the policing human resource increase is less about cars in Townsville and more about resourcing up for revolt putdowns.

APS fully expect to have to manage unrest in Australia and it is the politicians of both sides jobs to provide the resources and to sell it to the Australian population. Similarly why the drive for normalisation of army use for civilian control (ostensibly for covid control but despite public messaging, diggers trained to shoot people are not any better than ex airline staff at quarantine, a soldier with guaranteed employment dragged down from his/her QLD base does not have any more fucks to give about being near diseased people than a local employed to protect their community).

That's why QLD ALP is doing something that you think would have been anathema post Fitzgerald and re-enforcing the police empire which historically has marched towards the LNP.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oblivious to what? People in this country still want big numbers of police.

E: also lol at thinking this is going to be viewed poorly in Queensland

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 27, 2020

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I half suspect that because of the BLM/HK/Yellow Jackets and other popular unrest around the world the policing human resource increase is less about cars in Townsville and more about resourcing up for revolt putdowns.

APS fully expect to have to manage unrest in Australia and it is the politicians of both sides jobs to provide the resources and to sell it to the Australian population. Similarly why the drive for normalisation of army use for civilian control (ostensibly for covid control but despite public messaging, diggers trained to shoot people are not any better than ex airline staff at quarantine, a soldier with guaranteed employment dragged down from his/her QLD base does not have any more fucks to give about being near diseased people than a local employed to protect their community).

That's why QLD ALP is doing something that you think would have been anathema post Fitzgerald and re-enforcing the police empire which historically has marched towards the LNP.

You are overthinking it. This state is full of bootlickers and Palaszczuk just wants their vote.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

LOL that you think that qld government has recruited 2k new cops to put down a rebellion in loving Queensland

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tommunist posted:

LOL that you think that qld government has recruited 2k new cops to put down a rebellion in loving Queensland

you'd be surprised, qlders can get pretty ornery.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sparticle posted:

You are overthinking it. This state is full of bootlickers and Palaszczuk just wants their vote.

It can be both.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

you'd be surprised, qlders can get pretty ornery.

Im looking forward to the Far north Queensland insurgency when Katter loses it over another croc killing

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Do police deter crime? A majority of studies surveyed found that either
there is no relationship or increases in the number of police are associated
with increases in the level of crime.

This isn't wrong (and lol at Queensland) but bear in mind that the recorded and/or reported level of crime =/= crime

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Lol if you think that Reservists were called in because they're trained to shoot people. They were called in because it was cheaper and quicker to get bodies on the ground using reservists than doing anything commercially.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Calling in the ADF lets the federal government pretend it's done something and remind the states who's boss

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Did I imagine Scott Morrison begging the states to reopen their borders and being told to gently caress off by Palaszczuk and Dictator Dan?

Gee, I wonder why the federal government would like to normalise the involvement of the force it controls in the middle of a federal-state pissing match, what a loving mystery!

e:

Sparticle posted:

You are overthinking it. This thread is full of bootlickers and Palaszczuk just wants their vote.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 28, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

GotLag posted:

Did I imagine Scott Morrison begging the states to reopen their borders and being told to gently caress off by Palaszczuk and Dictator Dan?

Gee, I wonder why the federal government would like to normalise the involvement of the force it controls in the middle of a federal-state pissing match, what a loving mystery!

e:

Hahahahahahaha log off for a while dude. The adf weren't to exert pressure to strong arm states into line.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GotLag posted:

They also want to normalise 5g towers really makes you think.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Knobb Manwich posted:

Hahahahahahaha log off for a while dude. The adf weren't to exert pressure to strong arm states into line.

I know reading is slow and difficult for you but try also looking at the preceding post.

The federal government would like to be able to (be seen to) do something other than beg from the sidelines

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's pretty funny that we renamed an agency BORDER FORCE and poured all that money into it and gave its agents spiffy jet-black police state uniforms and then when we had a genuine emergency relating to the borders we punted it to Serco

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter posted:

It's pretty funny that we renamed an agency BORDER FORCE and poured all that money into it and gave its agents spiffy jet-black police state uniforms and then when we had a genuine emergency relating to the borders we punted it to Serco

The free market is just more efficient.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The free market is just more efficient.

The police declined to do their jobs in Victoria so we got Serco and a curfew. Magnificent organisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AFR status: still shite

https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1310483376948867074