Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Toebone posted:

Any tips for Midir? I'm SL 100 or so, 40 STR, 20 DEX, 30 FTH. Usually use the Black Knight Sword. I read the Millwood Greatbow works well on him, but even af +5 I'm only doing ~150 dmg per shot.

Stay in front and fight his head, the rest of his body only like ... 1/4 damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Attack once then run.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Toebone posted:

Any tips for Midir? I'm SL 100 or so, 40 STR, 20 DEX, 30 FTH. Usually use the Black Knight Sword. I read the Millwood Greatbow works well on him, but even af +5 I'm only doing ~150 dmg per shot.

i bitched out and used pestilent mist on him which is spectacular

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

feelix posted:

I think caestus parry might be a meme? It's strictly worse than the parrying shields when it comes to frames:

It does have perseverance so I guess maybe that's why PvPers use it

It's tied for the fewest startup frames, so you can get away with hitting the button later, and it weighs almost nothing. It's usually Divine or Simple for the regen, using it as an actual weapon is more like a final fallback if your other weapons are proving to be a bad matchup.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Didn't feel like continuing my play through tonight so I played something easier, Shinobi 3 on retroarch. It's funny noticing how many trademarks were borrowed by Souls, iframes, rewarding exploration, punishing carelessness. I died needlessly to the fuckin multi part water boss then again carelessly in the next level with the platforms you have to bomb until I got game over and quit. Such a good game though. Wish they'd enlist From to do a modern remake

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just realized that everything by the second bonfire in Ringed City is what's left of Earthen Peak from DS2. I saw all the poison bugs, poison swamp, and pyromancer lady and didn't put 2+2 together until I glanced over the edge of the fallen tower and noticed the windmill.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Toebone posted:

A big slow weapon is fine since you only get one hit per attack. Bonk once, retreat, stay closer to the head than what feels comfortable, wait for the tell, dodge, bonk etc.

The hardest attack to dodge is the laser/dark beam. When Midir starts up, run forwards and to the side so that the laser beam that goes straight ahead will miss. If you started running early enough the AOE blast will miss and you can get a hit in. Watch the video linked in my earlier post with a German nerd explaining all of Midirs tells and how to dodge all attacks.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just realized that everything by the second bonfire in Ringed City is what's left of Earthen Peak from DS2. I saw all the poison bugs, poison swamp, and pyromancer lady and didn't put 2+2 together until I glanced over the edge of the fallen tower and noticed the windmill.

The name of the bonfire in the menu is Earthen Peak Ruins.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

I dont think I realized Anor Londo was there until I actually got there my first time through, and I'm someone who plays with this weird claw stance using the side of my index finger to run so I can pan the camera all cinematic like with my thumb. You can see it so plainly several times going through Irithyll

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

I dont think I realized Anor Londo was there until I actually got there my first time through, and I'm someone who plays with this weird claw stance using the side of my index finger to run so I can pan the camera all cinematic like with my thumb. You can see it so plainly several times going through Irithyll

I don't understand the problem, just move the mouse normally :smuggo:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

codo27 posted:

protip: rebind roll/run to left bumper instead of a face button so you can roll/run while moving the camera, without putting your fingers in a hosed up position

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

i used poison mist (which wasn't THAT effective cuz midir moves a bunch, but it does help), mostly played under his body which means learning to spot his downward fire breath and get hits on the tail, and tried to get in head shots when and where i could which wasn't so hard (and led to plenty of "in front" attacks which opened him up to more headshots). i used a lightning uchigatana so i could get in multiple strikes per an attack and my shield saved plenty of rando attacks i messed up dodging.

playing in front seems pretty cool. victory means mostly being appropriately reactive, making sure you are getting your dps in, and balancing patience with aggression. as always, stay cool and don't panic cuz that leads to bad decisions.

the cool thing about poison mist for me was that i didn't know it was a strat until i saw someone do it during a summoning and i was like, yeah sure i can do that

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 25, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I wish I could do poison pestilent mist but the sorcerer guy told me to gently caress off because I had 9 int, and by the time I had raised it a little and went back he had disappeared. Time to get gud :black101:

Toebone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 25, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Toebone posted:

I wish I could do poison mist but the sorcerer guy told me to gently caress off because I had 9 int, and by the time I had raised it a little and went back he had disappeared. Time to get gud :black101:

Good news then, Poison Mist is a pyromancy!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
well poo poo, then i meant pestilent mist, lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ya'll break all the scrolls and boxes and shelves near the wizard by rolling into them every play through? Or is that just a weird thing I do?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Moola posted:

Ya'll break all the scrolls and boxes and shelves near the wizard by rolling into them every play through? Or is that just a weird thing I do?

Fine work

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Moola posted:

No.

I break every environment object by rolling into them every playthrough

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The main thing I have to say about the cinders mod is that it makes a bunch of the intermediate spells awesome, I just got emit force running as a herald and it's awesome as hell to just chain bowl over dudes and then do again in 3 minutes. Also the fist weapon that makes you run faster is funny as hell and made farron keep much more bearable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd actually forgotten who the boss is in the return to AL. I soon remembered the cursed raining arrows attack though

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just be thankful your version of Aldrich doesn't leave trails of curse inflicting slime.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Moola posted:

yeah!!!! they go loving everywhere!!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Moola posted:

I mean, yeah. I do it before I talk to him so all his snark becomes entirely justified.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Toebone posted:

Like everyone said, you want to focus on the head, ideally. They gave him a Bloodborne head break mechanic that lets you visceral attack him if you hit it enough. If you want to swap weapons, the claymore is pretty similar to the Black Knight Sword, but you can rub some lightning on it for a bit of extra damage on him.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Though I've played a lot of Souls-likes, and beaten both Sekiro and Bloodborne, DSIII is the first actual Souls game I've played. I bought it in like 2017 but just couldn't get used to the slower pacing of the combat, and it took me a while to actually get into it.

Jump to COVID days, when I have more free time than I know what to do with, and I've just been tearing through this game. It's so good. Like, once I adjusted to the pacing and rhythms and stuff, I've been loving it.

Already through the base game (minus whatever happens after placing Lothric's ashes on his throne), Ariendel, and am about to start The Ringed City.

For some reason, the bosses seem like the easiest aspect of this game to me. I've beaten all of them in three tries maximum. Meanwhile, the regular mobs and poo poo within the levels commonly kick my poo poo in, lol.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Though I've played a lot of Souls-likes, and beaten both Sekiro and Bloodborne, DSIII is the first actual Souls game I've played. I bought it in like 2017 but just couldn't get used to the slower pacing of the combat, and it took me a while to actually get into it.

Jump to COVID days, when I have more free time than I know what to do with, and I've just been tearing through this game. It's so good. Like, once I adjusted to the pacing and rhythms and stuff, I've been loving it.

Already through the base game (minus whatever happens after placing Lothric's ashes on his throne), Ariendel, and am about to start The Ringed City.

For some reason, the bosses seem like the easiest aspect of this game to me. I've beaten all of them in three tries maximum. Meanwhile, the regular mobs and poo poo within the levels commonly kick my poo poo in, lol.

Wait till you play DS1 & 2.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Wait till you play DS1 & 2.

I won't be playing 2, but I have the remaster of 1. I've done my research and have no interest in DS2. I do look forward to the Demons Souls remake, though.

Also, I need to amend my statement. The Gravetender and his wolf in Ariendel took me like 10 tries, until I figured out I could easily parry the tender and take him out before moving to the wolf.

Edit: okay, I probably WILL play 2 eventually, but I don't look forward to it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dark Souls II is good.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've played Dark Souls 2 the most out of any souls game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Charles Bukowski posted:

:same:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

its good.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I know, it's a somewhat divisive installment to the series. Like I said, I'll get to it eventually, probably. After I finish 3 I plan to go back to 1. Then I wanna finish Nioh 2 and The Surge 2, but sooner or later I'll tackle DS2. Maybe all my presumptions (based on other's opinions) are entirely mislead and wrong. I'm willing to eat some crow if so. Some corvidian.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're not, but it's still a fairly good game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is by a wide margin the worst Souls game, but still worth at least one playthrough for the DLC content imo

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Dark Souls II is good.

DS2 is the black sheep of the souls games imo.

The good:

Power Stances
Life Gems
Small White Soapstone
Can opt out of invasions

The bad:

Soul memory
Ridiculously low weapon durability
Strike weapons clown 99% of the content, just carry a mace everywhere
90% of the bosses aren't bosses, they're slow-moving obstacles that reward souls
Agility (you seriously have to waste 20 levels to get your iframes back)
School bus sized hitboxes
Hollowing: dying reduces your max HP as low as 50%

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also the weird offputting way your character handles and some really boring+usually ugly level design. blighttown is well designed and has cool lore, farron keep at least has the huge goat monsters and darkwraiths and ends with a good boss, the gutter/black gulch is such a nothing pair of areas in comparison

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
anyway I can't wait for demon's souls to come out again so everyone who never played it can have new things to complain about like world tendency and grass farming

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Agility (you seriously have to waste 20 levels to get your iframes back)

That's fine though because you get those levels within 3 hours of playing. Granted, it would suck if you played it blind and didn't understand how the stat works, but so does levelling RES in DS1.

IronicDongz posted:

also the weird offputting way your character handles and some really boring+usually ugly level design. blighttown is well designed and has cool lore, farron keep at least has the huge goat monsters and darkwraiths and ends with a good boss, the gutter/black gulch is such a nothing pair of areas in comparison

Dunno why you're comparing specific "types" of level instead of just the worst/best of each. Because the picture is very different if you compare Lost Izalith to the Iron Keep.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This is a conversation I've had on these forums more than once but the long and short of it is that I far prefer ds1's world and level design even with the extreme low of demon ruins+lost izalith to the more consistently mediocre ds2's world and level design

also, the reason I was comparing them is because the gutter is basically upper blighttown if you took away all the personality and just left it as a bunch of wooden planks

GrossMurpel posted:

That's fine though because you get those levels within 3 hours of playing. Granted, it would suck if you played it blind and didn't understand how the stat works, but so does levelling RES in DS1.
it still sucks to pay a level tax to not have less iframes than ds1 fatroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The bad:
Hollowing: dying reduces your max HP as low as 50%

Demon's Souls is gonna be a loving disaster for you people.