Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Well his leg wound and hatred of stairs was from battle

sure but thats hardly gloktas defining characteristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's certainly possible that Leo has the inner steel to survive disfigurement, but the glimpses of his POV we've had so far don't suggest it.

The bigger reach is Sabine. We haven't seen anything that suggests her loyalty extends beyond people who are useful to her and she doesn't have a tenth of the motivation her mother did to stand by her man.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

LeavingLeo nominally in charge means leaving Finree functionally in charge which feels like a best case scenario, tbh.

Would Bayaz see it that way? The events of this book have harmed him, either directly in the pocketbook or with each of his agents losing control of the situation. In the midst of a workers’ revolt and Calder possibly allying himself with a northern magus, Bayaz might make an example out of Finree out of sheer fury. Assuming Orso doesn’t defy him and somehow keep her protected, of course.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Clover is the best new character.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Clover is the best new character.

On re-read you can spot the exact moment when he's already worked it all out with Shivers and Stour's a dead man walking. Also, he's teaching his new crew how to efficiently murder Stour's flunkies way early in the book. That pay-off was fricking sweet.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Clover's pretty awesome. I underestimated him the same way that Stour did on the first read. I'm looking forward to going through it again to catch all the tells that I missed.

Orso surprised me, too, in turning out to be a pretty effective general.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m on board with the theory that zuri is Ishri, but she may not necessarily be an agent of Khalul. It’s been a while since I read the older books, but I remember her being pretty aloof from Khalul and the other eaters. She could be powerful enough to have learned to help create new Eaters (her brothers) and has been working with Glokta to instill a new world order, which starts with knocking off the both the prime Magi

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Now I'm picturing two or three big named characters all tricked into believing that they, independent and unaware of the others, choose to seed revolt under the name "the Weaver."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Warden posted:

On re-read you can spot the exact moment when he's already worked it all out with Shivers and Stour's a dead man walking. Also, he's teaching his new crew how to efficiently murder Stour's flunkies way early in the book. That pay-off was fricking sweet.

Yeah Clover liked Wonderful a whole lot him loving Stour up was obvious it was just a matter of time

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Affi posted:

Yeah Clover liked Wonderful a whole lot him loving Stour up was obvious it was just a matter of time

Yeah, his internal narration even notes that while seeing Stour get his just desserts feels good, it feels nowhere near as good as having Wonderful alive would feel. And that whole chapter re-contextualizes the ending of a Little Hatred. It wasn't that Clover was false in his affection and respect towards Wonderful, he just realized that Wonderful was a dead woman either way, and if he killed her himself, Stour would think Clover was his man and let him live, and eventually Clover would get revenge.

It was just the question of waiting for the right moment.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

‘A battle’s no place for a warrior.’

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

How hosed is savines baby going to be, she's been doing coke like Tony Montana and challenging the Northmen to a drinking contest isn't doing it any favors

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I was going to say it was hosed that Sabine didn't know any better but we didn't figure that poo poo out until the 1970s. smdh

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terror Sweat posted:

How hosed is savines baby going to be, she's been doing coke like Tony Montana and challenging the Northmen to a drinking contest isn't doing it any favors

Same, and I was really, really worried she was gonna have a miscarriage when that cannon exploded during the final battle. :ohdear:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Or during the multiple day horse ride

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
I just want Orso to be happy by the end of all this :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Thinking back to the first book, I'm questioning my initial assumption that Bayez killed Jezal. With what we know now, I don't see the point given he hosed off after being satisfied that the Union was secure.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Thinking back to the first book, I'm questioning my initial assumption that Bayez killed Jezal. With what we know now, I don't see the point given he hosed off after being satisfied that the Union was secure.

I could still see that being the case.

Galaxy brain magus: “hmmm Jezal’s like, in his 50s? How long do normal humans live again? Whatever, I want to go gently caress around with artifacts and intrigue in the west for a few decades, time to pop a few blood vessels so I don’t need to worry about succession for another 40-50 years.”

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

keirharder posted:

I just want Orso to be happy by the end of all this :(

There’s a very strong possibility that his final words in the last book will be “I bloody hate hangings”

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Fly Molo posted:

I could still see that being the case.

Galaxy brain magus: “hmmm Jezal’s like, in his 50s? How long do normal humans live again? Whatever, I want to go gently caress around with artifacts and intrigue in the west for a few decades, time to pop a few blood vessels so I don’t need to worry about succession for another 40-50 years.”

Considering the age and infirmity of Glokta at the point Jezal died one would think he'd be the important piece to make sure a suitable replacement was lined up. There's no motivation for Bayaz to kill Jezal because whether he's there or not the succession is already prepared. In fact there's significant motivation for him to keep Jezal alive because he's already gone through the effort of taming him, while a new king might need some breaking in before he's pliable enough to serve.

I like the above theory that Ishri/Zuri is in cahoots with Glokta and Pike as his loyal right hand. It's the only thing I've heard that might explain her using Savine as a cover. It's a fitting theme for Joe to work with too.

Terror Sweat posted:

There’s a very strong possibility that his final words in the last book will be “I bloody hate hangings”

gonna be mad as hell when you're (probably) right

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, there's no way Orso is getting a happy ending in this series.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Eminent Domain posted:

Yeah, there's no way Orso is getting a happy ending in this series.

Given that there have now been two officially hosed up hangings under his watch, I fully expect that King Orso will, because he's a compassionate soul, commission a more clinical mechanical execution device.

Mark me down for "At least it isn't a hanging."

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
Idk if Joe is grim dark enough to just execute a likeable main character to end the book. He's left it ambiguous before like with West and Logen at the end of TLoK, he's offed plenty of strong supporting characters, but he hasn't yet killed one of the leading cast in their own books.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh yeah, I expect Orso to face a guillotine. I do not expect Orso to die by guillotine.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'm expecting a heel turn for Orso; now that he's found that he's actually kind of good at wielding power, he could easily start to enjoy it a bit too much.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The book has only been out a week or so, come on guys.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Suxpool posted:

Idk if Joe is grim dark enough to just execute a likeable main character to end the book. He's left it ambiguous before like with West and Logen at the end of TLoK, he's offed plenty of strong supporting characters, but he hasn't yet killed one of the leading cast in their own books.

West was very dead by the end of book 3. Logan wasn’t dead or anywhere near it after book 3, but it wasn’t ambiguous as to his death. I can easily see Orso getting murdered.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Suxpool posted:

How soon we forget morveer, the innocent chemist who never did anything to anyone

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terror Sweat posted:

How soon we forget morveer, the innocent chemist who never did anything to anyone

Morveer was a big believer in the Stand-Your-Ground principle of poisoning.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Terror Sweat posted:

I really enjoyed his POV and just how unjust the world was to him.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

RCarr posted:

The book has only been out a week or so, come on guys.

yeah but the ship has so clearly sailed at this point

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I'm excited to see what book 3 holds. Leo and Stour are in a tight spot right now, and we all know that Joe doesn't let the sun shine for too long on characters.

Stour is finished as a character. Maybe we see him rotting in a cage for a paragraph or two but the North has no use for a cripple and his tendons are cut, he's never walking again.

Probably see things from Clover's pov for a while, Rikke has to keep her throne.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Terror Sweat posted:

Aside from nosebleeds it's possible it's magic cocaine (ie the kind with no long term side effects) and FAS doesn't exist for protagonists or their offspring unless the author can't think of anything more interesting.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Aside from nosebleeds it's possible it's magic cocaine (ie the kind with no long term side effects) and FAS doesn't exist for protagonists or their offspring unless the author can't think of anything more interesting.

Considering that her coke addiction has had 0 other narrative effects, it seems like something with the child would have to come from it.

Maybe the Breakers gently caress enough poo poo up that Bayaz says “hmm, let’s retcon Leo’s Rebellion and make him a hero, and the child is heir to the throne” but then the child has some severe disability and his plan gets hosed up.

I feel like Bayaz will still be in power at the end of next book, but I think this will mark the beginning of the end of the Magi (or at least Bayaz)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Terror Sweat posted:

Always felt bad for his apprentice.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Considering that her coke addiction has had 0 other narrative effects, it seems like something with the child would have to come from it.

I wouldn't say it has zero narrative effects. She becomes much more unhinged and reckless after Valbeck, which coincides with her spending most of the time coked up. Savine from "A Little Hatred" would have ended Leo's half-assed rebellion; instead, she not only immediately joins it, but does everything to raise the stakes. Near the end of the second book, she rides to the battlefield while heavily pregnant. Her judgment becomes terrible and the magic coke probably doesn't help.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Yeah it's a little hard to realize because it's her POV and she's still very composed, but her being a cokehead really messed up her sound judgment

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Trying to avoid spoilers but I laughed out loud at a scene with Leo, Isher, etc. “Make the Union great again!”

A little on the nose but very amusing.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really thought they where gonna cut something else off Stour, still drat that made me wince, guess that's him crippled for life now too. And drat Rikke that's cold, but honestly I can't say I feel much sympathy for Leo or Savine. Pike came out of nowhere for me.

It was fascinating to see how much Leo, Savine and Stour managed to piss away everything their parents fought for in previous books and end up with nothing. They had everything handed to them on a silver platter and decided to gamble all on it on that wet fart of a rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Aggro posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers but I laughed out loud at a scene with Leo, Isher, etc. “Make the Union great again!”

A little on the nose but very amusing.

It might play a little differently in the UK (or not). But sometimes an author just really wants to tell some people to go gently caress themselves.