Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm stoked to try out these changes. I browsed the notes, but I didn't see anything related to army management. Did they do anything to

1) Nerf teleporting professional armies all over the globe? This one has been great in helping me crush populist rebellions that occur over wide areas
2) Make it so raising just professional armies, or even some percentage of armies isn't hilariously awful? Raising armies is easy when you want all of your armies up and running. But the longer into the game you go, the less you need the 30k levies that cost twice as much as your professionals to keep raised.
3) The army movement interface in general is infuriating to use. Want to attack a province? Make sure to avoid right clicking the wrong thing otherwise you'll deselect your army. This goes double for when you want to split a large army up so it can recover from a bad supply situation. Doing that for a very large army is a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Was IRL inheritance really as goofy as how its portrayed in this game? Even with whats essentially an in game wiki it can be tough to track

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Raise local + ctrl move and you'll only have your maa, it's not that complicated

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eonwe posted:

Was IRL inheritance really as goofy as how its portrayed in this game? Even with whats essentially an in game wiki it can be tough to track

From what I know of IRL inheritances, CK3 is simplified.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Someone post the horrible HRE border gore map.

Though I don't know if gavelkind really worked as such. The most famous example I can think of off the top of my head is Pepin and splitting his rule between his sons, though theoretically it was intended to be like an imperial succession with gavelkind in game, where they stay under the same banner. Obviously didn't happen but that was the intent.

For smaller families were they really as split up as gavelkind would make them?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

quote:

- Informed the AI that if it has nothing else to do in a war, it might as well defend the wargoal

That's the main thing I asked.

I didn't see anything on the list of the disparate tribes bug stopping you from imprisoning people when neither of you are tribal.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

If I’m emperor with four kingdom crowns and my non heirs are set to inherit just a king of Ireland and king of Wales crown respectively, how hosed are they in life? If that’s the only title they inherit, do they just live with me?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Did they fix that problem where when you suspect your spouse is cheating and investigate with the intrigue challenge you lose every time? I think it was because somewhere a less than was flipped the wrong way. Didn't see reference to that but maybe it was patched...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Azhais posted:

Raise local + ctrl move and you'll only have your maa, it's not that complicated

No, it's not. But it is poorly documented and badly explained. I didn't play CK2, so I have no idea about any of these shortcuts. Also the existence of this doesn't make army management any less awful.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

Someone post the horrible HRE border gore map.

Though I don't know if gavelkind really worked as such. The most famous example I can think of off the top of my head is Pepin and splitting his rule between his sons, though theoretically it was intended to be like an imperial succession with gavelkind in game, where they stay under the same banner. Obviously didn't happen but that was the intent.

For smaller families were they really as split up as gavelkind would make them?

I don't know example of other countries, but as an example Poland basically exploded in the XII century for almost 200 years, as land was split up between various dukes and whatnot.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are they fixing achievements?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

AnEdgelord posted:

Are they fixing achievements?

That was in the notes, yes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dwesa posted:

Good, this really seemed like cheating.

Isn't the exploit abducting a ruler and then declaring war and winning immediately, rather than abducting someone during a war?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've won a couple defensive wars I had no right to through abduction schemes. If your intrigue is high enough you can usually pull it off in around a year. You just gotta stay alive for that long.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2020

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

eXXon posted:

Isn't the exploit abducting a ruler and then declaring war and winning immediately, rather than abducting someone during a war?

You declare war juuust before the abduction scheme finishes iirc

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

eXXon posted:

You can’t declare war on a ruler you have in your prison, so it has to be after you’re already at war (so killed by the patch).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the trick was that you start the plan to abduct, then declare war just before it fires.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The idea behind the exploit is that you start the scheme and then declare war just before the final event captures the target, so presumably the fix is that "being at war" immediately imposes a really strong penalty on your success chance/scheme strength or something?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I get the reasons for nerfing it, but I still love the imagery of the Holy Roman Emperor reading a declaration of war from a vastly inferior county seconds before being whisked away by ninjas.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I am not of especially clear mind at the moment, but this is a riddle that has been wooping my brain's rear end for 15 minutes. please explain to me all of the chains of incest that occurred here. you banged your own mother-sister, who herself was banged by her own brother-father, who is in fact, your father? i tried to map it out in MSPaint to help me visualize it, and boy, I'm gonna just pretend those scribbles and loop-de-loops and interconnected circles just didn't happen

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Trevor Hale posted:

If I’m emperor with four kingdom crowns and my non heirs are set to inherit just a king of Ireland and king of Wales crown respectively, how hosed are they in life? If that’s the only title they inherit, do they just live with me?

They will displace the count of the de jure capital. Sucks for that guy.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

I am not of especially clear mind at the moment, but this is a riddle that has been wooping my brain's rear end for 15 minutes. please explain to me all of the chains of incest that occurred here. you banged your own mother-sister, who herself was banged by her own brother-father, who is in fact, your father? i tried to map it out in MSPaint to help me visualize it, and boy, I'm gonna just pretend those scribbles and loop-de-loops and interconnected circles just didn't happen

This would be the result of banging your mother (yields son of course, and half brother because he shares the same mother as you but not the same father). And requires that your mother is also your aunt (i.e. was your dad's sister).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OctaMurk posted:

Is there a way to see what the exact sources of my renown, prestige and piety gain are? E.g. you have say 5 renown gain and click it and it says "sources: 2x independent kings, 70 dynasty members, 4 barons" etc

If you hover over the renown part of the toolbar it will give you that exact list. If you want to see what exact characters are providing it, open the character finder, filter by your dynasty and sort by rank. It's not exact because I don't think there's a way to filter by liege dynasty or independence, but you'll get close enough.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ice Fist posted:

No, it's not. But it is poorly documented and badly explained. I didn't play CK2, so I have no idea about any of these shortcuts. Also the existence of this doesn't make army management any less awful.

It's not a thing in ck2 afaik, it was just one of the loading screen tips I think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

From what I know of IRL inheritances, CK3 is simplified.

Yeah I forget if it was this thread that mentioned it but didn't William the Conqueror basically do a Chaos Partition of the realm down to what in this game would be barony-level or even smaller to prevent a powerful succession faction lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

eXXon posted:

Ice Fist posted:

You declare war juuust before the abduction scheme finishes iirc

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the trick was that you start the plan to abduct, then declare war just before it fires.

Pff. Screw this “just before” thing — you declared war directly from the final decision screen where you were already given 95%/95% probabilities. One game tick later, the plot succeeded, you were at war, and you were staring at a second pause screen you could force demands from. There was literally no timing involved since the game handled everything for you. :cheeky:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zero One posted:

quote:

Fixed lowborns getting kinslayer traits when murdering other lowborns

The game needs a class traitor trait.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's sort of weird that peasant leaders start a noble house and dress in fancy clothes as soon as they rebel. If they win, sure, meet the new boss same as the old boss. But they should look like farmers until then.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tippis posted:

Pff. Screw this “just before” thing — you declared war directly from the final decision screen where you were already given 95%/95% probabilities. One game tick later, the plot succeeded, you were at war, and you were staring at a second pause screen you could force demands from. There was literally no timing involved since the game handled everything for you. :cheeky:

FYI, those probabilities can change while the window is open. I tested this when making my own mod and testing "duel" effects, and using the console to add traits would dynamically change the odds while the window was open. So it may still be fixed.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 28, 2020

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

This would be the result of banging your mother (yields son of course, and half brother because he shares the same mother as you but not the same father). And requires that your mother is also your aunt (i.e. was your dad's sister).

thanks!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

megane posted:

It's sort of weird that peasant leaders start a noble house and dress in fancy clothes as soon as they rebel. If they win, sure, meet the new boss same as the old boss. But they should look like farmers until then.

Me reading this and agreeing means they are going to make SO much money from clothing packs.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm enjoying my game. I'm going slow, expanding here and there. Joining crusades to have some fun.
I make so much money ransoming people, it's awesome.
Lately I've started letting kids get out of jail for free though (only when their parents can't afford the ransom of course), they look so sad otherwise.

Also my son threw up on me during a feast.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Changes look great. Slightly disappointed that they aren't making female AI rulers more resistant to patrilineal marriage, but I get their point.

I cannot overstate how great this game is. I thought it would take a few dlc before I stopped playing ck2 in favor of this, but I was very wrong. Aside from making cities and temples into their own map provinces (confusing and adds annoying micro), every change from ck2 is for the better. This game is so loving fun and I can't wait to see what it looks like with 5 years of content added.

To the pdx people in here: thank you so goddamn much. Now go make an expansion so you can take more of my money.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

BrainMeats posted:

They will displace the count of the de jure capital. Sucks for that guy.

Ooo interesting. Thank you!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

To the pdx people in here: thank you so goddamn much. Now go make an expansion so you can take more of my money.

Well, if you insist!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Hey so, anywhere in those patch notes is there anything about vassals who embrace a heresy, are forced back to my religion either through a demand or as part of a negotiated release from prison, and then immediately convert back to the heresy, and me not being allowed to demand their conversion again?

Because this is crap. Maybe 1/4 of my vassals are converting, I'm demanding conversions, imprisoning the ones who refuse, and then they're going right back. And I can't demand conversion again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ice Fist posted:

Hey so, anywhere in those patch notes is there anything about vassals who embrace a heresy, are forced back to my religion either through a demand or as part of a negotiated release from prison, and then immediately convert back to the heresy, and me not being allowed to demand their conversion again?

Because this is crap. Maybe 1/4 of my vassals are converting, I'm demanding conversions, imprisoning the ones who refuse, and then they're going right back. And I can't demand conversion again.

Yes.
“- Vassals who agree to a Conversion Demand during a heresy outbreak can no longer immediately re-convert to the heresy”

How long “not immediately” lasts remains to be seen, but it should take the edge off of the really annoying flip-flops. There's also this, which should make vassals more helpful in dealing with the problem:

“- The AI is now much more likely to demand the conversion of heretical vassals, if their refusal would result in them being marked as criminals. This should make the AI less likely to collapse to heresy.”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Manage to claw my way back on top:

Was playing as the emperor of Carpathia and had carved out a decent sized realm:

Since I was old and sick and going to die soon anyway I decide to invade the kingdom of Bulgaria to blob even further however in the middle of the war I die of old age and almost immediately afterwards the new emperor dies in battle against the Bulgarians and the title passes to his four year old daughter. Before I've even learned how to read populist rebellions, independence factions and a massive claimant faction from my uncle all fire off at once. I am forced to peace out of Bulgaria to try to deal with it and lose badly and concede.

I spend the next decade or so collecting money and planning my revenge. Meanwhile my incompetent uncle loses every single war he fights losing chunks of the empire to pagan rebellions and border regions to foreign powers. Then once I'm ready I strike at Hungary, which has split itself off from the empire, and after a rough start since we're evenly matched in numbers I come out on top. Seeing that I am queen of Hungary my uncle decides to transfer all of the de jure vassals over to me without me even asking within a week of me taking the throne. He doesn't seem to realize that this gives me 430% of his military strength. I start a faction and immediadly push my claim and he folds like a camping chair.

Now I just need to collect all the bits he lost and I should be good.
I'm already part way there

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Tippis posted:

Yes.
“- Vassals who agree to a Conversion Demand during a heresy outbreak can no longer immediately re-convert to the heresy”

How long “not immediately” lasts remains to be seen, but it should take the edge off of the really annoying flip-flops. There's also this, which should make vassals more helpful in dealing with the problem:

“- The AI is now much more likely to demand the conversion of heretical vassals, if their refusal would result in them being marked as criminals. This should make the AI less likely to collapse to heresy.”

Fantastic. It was annoying, but I managed to get everything under control with a little bit of murder and a little bit of war. I took a duchy away from one of them, but otherwise forced their heirs to return to my religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ice Fist posted:

It probably doesn't matter now that the patch is immenent, but if you wait a few months and then demand that they convert, they'll convert and stay converted.