Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A shop reroll machine only rerolls the items for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ArfJason posted:

if there happens to be a pedestal item in there, you can reroll it. the likelyhood of both might as well be 0 cause ive never seen both at once, but i imagine if you somehow are pscyho enough to use the moving box or butter you could prolly make some magic happen, since i imagine rerolling in the secret room means secret room item pool

It's one of the few things that makes the moving box worthwhile imo, that and angel/devil room + D6, but yeah that's literally the only way I've ever had the secret room reroll machine be relevant. Mushrooms can also drop mushroom pedestal items but I don't know if there's any overlap between mushroom secret rooms and reroll machine secret rooms.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

It's one of the few things that makes the moving box worthwhile imo, that and angel/devil room + D6, but yeah that's literally the only way I've ever had the secret room reroll machine be relevant. Mushrooms can also drop mushroom pedestal items but I don't know if there's any overlap between mushroom secret rooms and reroll machine secret rooms.

I usually bomb the secret room full of mushrooms if I'll have bombs left over afterward. The mushroom items aren't likely, but magic mushroom will totally change the game. Plus you get like 3 pills out of it at least.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
#1 use for Moving Box is to clean up the shop and get rid of all the Chaos, Pill Baggy, King Baby, whatever shaped land mines your shop break has left lying around, but there's a number of other nifty things you can do with it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I got the Everything is Terrible achievement (not sure what triggered it) a few nights ago and now the last few levels are giving me poo poo. This loving game... I love it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Happy Hedonist posted:

I got the Everything is Terrible achievement (not sure what triggered it)

Beating moms heart for the fifth time. Congratulations!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Happy Hedonist posted:

I got the Everything is Terrible achievement (not sure what triggered it) a few nights ago and now the last few levels are giving me poo poo. This loving game... I love it.

For what it's worth almost every time you beat the game it's going to simultaneously get a bit harder and also easier. This is one of the few times it explicitly tells you it's doing it though

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

For what it's worth almost every time you beat the game it's going to simultaneously get a bit harder and also easier. This is one of the few times it explicitly tells you it's doing it though

I thought so! I've only looked at the wiki a couple of times and then only to see what an item does before I pick it up.

Am I crazy or does difficulty change depending on the items you pick up? It seems to me that whenever I pick up a crazy nice item, the difficulty spikes. Is there a hidden mechanic there somewhere?

Trying to figure out the faith vs evil thing is tough without the wiki too. I haven no idea what either stat does.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They aren't real stats. The Rosary Bead makes it more likely that a post-boss room will be an Angel Room. Items with 'evil up' or 'sin up' cause you to do more damage when you have the Black Feather trinket.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

I thought so! I've only looked at the wiki a couple of times and then only to see what an item does before I pick it up.

Am I crazy or does difficulty change depending on the items you pick up? It seems to me that whenever I pick up a crazy nice item, the difficulty spikes. Is there a hidden mechanic there somewhere?

Trying to figure out the faith vs evil thing is tough without the wiki too. I haven no idea what either stat does.

Unless you're picking up the Champions Belt item or Purple heart trinket, the game shouldn't get harder. Of course there's the Special items mechanic, but I don't think that's what you're asking about

most likely just a case of the good old rng

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They aren't real stats. The Rosary Bead makes it more likely that a post-boss room will be an Angel Room. Items with 'evil up' or 'sin up' cause you to do more damage when you have the Black Feather trinket.

It also dumps a bunch of copies of the bible into the item pools.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

Nah this is in your head / good old rnjesus frowning on you

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some 'special items' regarded as more powerful, but the only difference is that you're less likely to get more special items after you've already seen some.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it.

That’s funny that items don’t affect difficulty, I had convinced myself they must.

The faith/evil makes sense too. I’ve been to the cathedral once but I died to what I assume is the boss. I’ve been chasing that run everyday and failing miserably.

Not sure why it took so long for this game to sink it’s hooks in me, but I’m glad it did.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
the only true stats you get are the ones you can see by enabling the stats hud in the options menu.

there is *one* use for "evil" items but its so niche and underwhelming its not worth commenting on other than as small trivia: The black feather trinket gives 0.2 damage for every "evil" item you have

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I got a bunch of One Makes You Larger pills, and the game gave me STOMPY! for it.

But I'm not stomping any rocks >: (

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Last secret is 31 dailies. Made 29th this morning, though we'll see where that ends up. Need to work more on not getting hit.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

ArfJason posted:

the only true stats you get are the ones you can see by enabling the stats hud in the options menu.

Not quite. Tear height and tear delay are seperate stats to range and shot speed but are bundled into the same stat on the HUD. It's fairly niche and there's not many items that use them but tear delay items let you break the shot speed cap of 5.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Capital Letdown posted:

I got a bunch of One Makes You Larger pills, and the game gave me STOMPY! for it.

But I'm not stomping any rocks >: (

Yeah, what Stompy does is sometimes create tremor waves when you take damage.

Leo makes this counter-intuitive.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

kemikalkadet posted:

Not quite. Tear height and tear delay are seperate stats to range and shot speed but are bundled into the same stat on the HUD. It's fairly niche and there's not many items that use them but tear delay items let you break the shot speed cap of 5.

oh ya i forgot that

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, what Stompy does is sometimes create tremor waves when you take damage.

Leo makes this counter-intuitive.

Ah thanks, that makes sense!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1310749206567481351

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

GET. FUCKIN. HYPED.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man three months is such a long wait

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Big coincidence, but Northernlion's daughter was born today, so she'll share a birthday with the game that made her dad's career.

Grapplejack posted:

Man three months is such a long wait

Legally they have to give a release date this year if they're taking preorders. I think they can push it back, but they have to give a date. Weirdly I think it's one of the rare times when UK law sets US policy, because this is a UK thing. In the US you can take money for a product set to release in some vague point in the future, which is why things like Kickstarter can exist. I may be off about a few things there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

KEY FEATURES:
- 130+ new items (more than 700 items in total)
- A full alternate path with brand new chapters and a new final boss and ending
- 100+ new enemies
- 25+ new bosses
- 2 new playable characters
- 5 new challenges
- 100+ new achievements
- 5,000+ new room designs

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just make Eden always start with a range of reasonable stats and take Guillotine out of the game and I could play forever. Would barely need anything else.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LifeLynx posted:

Just make Eden always start with a range of reasonable stats and take Guillotine out of the game and I could play forever. Would barely need anything else.

Really I'd just like it so that you couldn't start with stats that were ALL bad. Low damage, high tear rate and high damage and low tear rate are one thing, but when you've got 18 tear rate, 2.00 damage, poo poo for shot speed and barely any range, and maybe your gimme was 0.99 speed then the game honestly begins to break down because so many rooms and enemies assume you have better stats than that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LifeLynx posted:

oh god I hate guillotine so much

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Really I'd just like it so that you couldn't start with stats that were ALL bad. Low damage, high tear rate and high damage and low tear rate are one thing, but when you've got 18 tear rate, 2.00 damage, poo poo for shot speed and barely any range, and maybe your gimme was 0.99 speed then the game honestly begins to break down because so many rooms and enemies assume you have better stats than that.

I started a run yesterday with Brimstone, and I was pumped until I saw I had 2.16 damage and 48 rate of fire. I saw no damage updates at all, then I picked up Experimental Treatment out of desperation and wound up with around 1.5 damage and 24 rate of fire. Gave up on Mom's Heart when I was ten minutes in and only halfway done with the fight.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh god I hate guillotine so much

To this day it is the only thing in any video game to make me motion sick. It's one of the main reasons I won't pick up treasure room items on Curse of the Blind floors. If anyone knows of a mod to turn its visual effect off, let me know!

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Any idea if this is coming out at the same time on other consoles? I've just finished my Switch game saves and honestly seeing that Steam page makes me want to buy it on PC and get ready for Repentance on there instead

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kifisonfire posted:

Any idea if this is coming out at the same time on other consoles? I've just finished my Switch game saves and honestly seeing that Steam page makes me want to buy it on PC and get ready for Repentance on there instead

It's not. Repentance might come to Switch later (20XX), but PC is seemingly on new years eve

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It's not. Repentance might come to Switch later (20XX), but PC is seemingly on new years eve
Welp that sounds like a good excuse to buy it on PC and start over again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Psychedelicatessen posted:

NYE is just a placeholder date.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1310756935847698432?s=20

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LifeLynx posted:

To this day it is the only thing in any video game to make me motion sick. It's one of the main reasons I won't pick up treasure room items on Curse of the Blind floors. If anyone knows of a mod to turn its visual effect off, let me know!

Guillotine by itself doesn't bother me as much (though I definitely know where you're coming from). Guillotine combined with Transcendence on the other hand.... :barf:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone have any bright ideas for secret #378, "collect 10 tears up items/pills"? Its my last one apart from touching all the items (including the one that #378 unlocks). So far my basic strategy has been looking for tears up pills and the placebo (I mean, obviously...) and I've been alternating regular runs and greed runs to mix it up a little, but gently caress me the item and pill pools are so bloated with junk by this point that I dont remember the last time I saw a tears up pill never mind in the same run as the placebo. I thought I'd got it through a slightly broken isaac greed mode run by picking up tears up items, but I guess one of the ones I picked up didnt technically count as tears up items (or I miscounted, that is definitely possible).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A d20 in greed mode is probably the easiest way. you should get a pop-up once you get the achievement.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Anyone have any bright ideas for secret #378, "collect 10 tears up items/pills"? Its my last one apart from touching all the items (including the one that #378 unlocks). So far my basic strategy has been looking for tears up pills and the placebo (I mean, obviously...) and I've been alternating regular runs and greed runs to mix it up a little, but gently caress me the item and pill pools are so bloated with junk by this point that I dont remember the last time I saw a tears up pill never mind in the same run as the placebo. I thought I'd got it through a slightly broken isaac greed mode run by picking up tears up items, but I guess one of the ones I picked up didnt technically count as tears up items (or I miscounted, that is definitely possible).

D20 greed mode break or an unlimited cash/double steam sale + restock + chaos shop break. You'll probably get it that way before you get it with an actual targeted strategy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I loving did it.

1000000%

Broke the poo poo out of greed mode with a D20... but no goddamn tears up pill, and fewer than 10 tears up items before Breakfast started replacing everything. On the upside I picked up technology zero which I hadnt actually seen before

Next run, still greed mode, got an early PHD, then a tarot cloth (which I thought was a mistake as soon as I picked it up, I worried it was one of those items that then replaced all pills with cards like Starter Deck does, but its not). Went to the devil room, no items, but look, a Blank Rune. Next floor, fight through it without touching a coin, then use the Blank Rune... For a Jera effect, doubled by the tarot cloth, and two more Blank Runes. You know how Jera doesnt duplicate Jera? Well, it DOES duplicate blank runes. I fairly quickly had a main room stuffed with money and blank runes, rerolled the shop to get a moms pill bottle and a battery. Then just kept buying batteries and hitting the pill bottle until I got a couple of Vurps and finally a single solitary Tears Up pill. Tried to duplicate the vurps and the tears up with a blank rune... but instead it Perthro'd my D6 (sitting on a pedestal from when I picked up the pill bottle) into The Placebo. That'll loving do. Battered the placebo until i got my 10 tears up. It IMMEDIATELY popped the 1000000% trophy despite the fact I havent technically picked up Lachryphagy having just this minute unlocked it, but I'm not complaining.

Now ready for whatever bullshit the final expansion throws at me assuming it ever comes to PS4...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

It IMMEDIATELY popped the 1000000% trophy despite the fact I havent technically picked up Lachryphagy having just this minute unlocked it, but I'm not complaining.

Congrats!

Also, Eden can spawn with ANY item, even ones you haven't unlocked, and it counts as collecting that item (it does not unlock them, but they are now in the collection). This is the only way I know of that could have happened.