Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/scorsham/status/1310885922007920640

Left wing ideas...like preserving working conditions?

:thunk:

Edit: The Bloch MB.157 was a prototype fighter aircraft developed under the Vichy regime. It did not enter production because the prototype was destroyed in an Allied air raid.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Butternubs posted:

What does right wing maths look like?

If henry has 5 apples and boris has 500,000 what's the best way for boris to steal the other 5 apples and blame joe for being a dirty poor?

Boris has 3 mistresses and 7 illegitimate children, approximately how many times did he cheat on his wife? round up to the nearest 10.

Completely ignoring the achievements of non-white and particularly islamic people in teaching about the history and development of mathematics as a science.

So, like now, really.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
priti patel is like a james bond villain honestly

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since we're on the topic of food, I have a tin of "mackeral fillets in a rich tomato sauce" and "sardines in a rich tomato sauce" (all skinless and boneless)

What kind of meal might these ingredients be a part of? The tins themselves don't give suggestions

Where did you get them from? I ask because I had one of those tins of mackeral at the weekend with some spiral pasta and the three least-dead looking basil leaves from my basil plant. It's not nearly as posh as some of the other pasta suggestions here but actually tasted OK.

I couldn't cook in university either and spent the entire time circling through the same 4 pasta and toast based meals. What's different is that I was sharing the cooking at home for a year before going to uni, and honestly it destroyed any confidence I had. Before serving anything, my dad would always insist on dragging my mother over to the saucepans, get her to confirm I'd cooked 'it' properly, and then turn his nose up at his plate anyway. When I first started cooking, I'd excitedly torn recipes out of magazines - nothing outrageous, stuff like stir-fry sauces from scratch, fish pies, just normal meals that I wanted to learn to cook for myself - and by the time I left for uni everything was beige and bland and boiled to death, and thus lived up to my belief that I was the world's worst cook.

Edit: despite the Lazy Fish Pasta meal, I do actually cook proper meals, and now win local baking competitions with cakes that my father *still* refuses to taste when he finds out I've made them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lady Demelza posted:

Where did you get them from?

Sainsbury's.

And yeah I know that's considered posh :thermidor:, but hear me out: i get a corporate gift card for Sainsbury's through my office perk portal

(wait wait have i made it worse? :ohdear:)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm always really suspicious of people who study history and aren't increasingly left wing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
In my professional experience PhD students and early career people are either communists or weirdass UKIP looking royalists with nothing in between, but there's a depressing amount of liberalism amongst the comfortably employed professors etc which is hardly surprising. Lots of 'crossing this picket line to go lecture about Marx' lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

priti patel is like a james bond villain honestly

Bond villains generally did not target specific social or ethnic groups so I would argue she is far worse.

I mean, Goldfinger only cared about money which is probably only enough to get you a PPS role in the current government

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Sainsbury's.

And yeah I know that's considered posh :thermidor:, but hear me out: i get a corporate gift card for Sainsbury's through my office perk portal

(wait wait have i made it worse? :ohdear:)

Gotta love that 3% off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1311063430313529345?s=19

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Perhaps more accurate then

:eyepop:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

feedmegin posted:

No such thing as a horrifying kebab imo :colbert:

I knew two separate people who got a kebab from the same place and found cockroaches in them.

Re: Ascension. Jesus loving Christ. They would be literal death camps.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Great tweet thanks for sharing

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Real "drat, someone should do something about this!" hours

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

ThomasPaine posted:

- Mystery pooper who pranked his entire corridor by making GBS threads on a baking tray, throwing it in the oven, then vanishing. I wasn't there but apparently a bunch of them came home after the pub to find the aromas of a very burnt turd wafting around the whole floor.

A few pages back, but this didn't happen in Stafford, did it? Not my year but the one who moved into halls immediately after us had this happen and I refuse to believe that there are two phantom turd bakers on the loose.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

We had similar turd baking rumours at my uni

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The baked turd is part of the monomyth, ancient texts from Sumer have mentioned "in those ancient days when bread was first tasted in the shrines of the land, some knobhead took a shite in the oven"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I thought they broke the Ed stone down into gravel?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My uni campus was constantly full of rabbits (to the point where they were basically a mascot) and the rumour there was always that a group of students had captured and cooked one. In every version of the rumour the students were Chinese though so it's more of a race hate story than a student cooking one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's generally what rabbits are for? It's alright, kinda like dry chicken.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not even a particularly bad race hate one. "Chinese cook and eat stray cats and dogs" is the usual racist one, whereas catching and cooking wild rabbits was like 90% of the reason that people owned Jack Russells and ferrets.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

stev posted:

My uni campus was constantly full of rabbits (to the point where they were basically a mascot) and the rumour there was always that a group of students had captured and cooked one. In every version of the rumour the students were Chinese though so it's more of a race hate story than a student cooking one.

Friend who went to Essex uni was told that you shouldn't try to cook the rabbits because they have Mix.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rumour at my halls was that Chris Tarrant was expelled for killing a goose.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ThomasPaine posted:

- Lady I'm somehow still in a relationship with a decade later coming into the kitchen while I'm cooking, after I've just emptied a jar of pasta sauce into a pan, complaining that I'm 'wasting' the remaining dregs left in the jar, and proceeding to fill it with tap water, shake it up, and pour the whole thing in completely off her own back.

I thought this was a universally accepted practice.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Certainly how my granny did it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like to imagine "completely off her own back" means holding the jar behind her neck and trickling it down her back into the pan like some bizarre salt bae but for pasta sauce dregs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What white people refuse to add in seasoning, they make up for with way too much water.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's fine if you use a tiny splash of water. Otherwise it's just a jar of water.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The food thread in PYF is having this same argument and, like, you can get rid of water by making it hot with the lid off, the water goes into the air, it's magic?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I think the issue is “fill it up with tap water”. Obviously a little bit is a great idea. Filling it just gets a lot of water in your sauce.

stev posted:

It's fine if you use a tiny splash of water. Otherwise it's just a jar of water.

This has the same cadence as “it’s only nihilism if it’s from Nihil region of France, otherwise it’s just sparkling depression “

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you should be using wine for it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

you should be using wine for it

i dont want to alarm u jose but if you cook the wine the alcohol burns off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bump_fn posted:

i dont want to alarm u jose but if you cook the wine the alcohol burns off

It adds flavour that water doesn't and you should be drinking the rest of the wine anyway

A full jar of wine is definitely a waste

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

stev posted:

Yeah you only need a little, then you let it cook for a little while extra to reduce it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jose posted:

It adds flavour that water doesn't and you should be drinking the rest of the wine anyway

A full jar of wine is definitely a waste

I don't really buy wine that often, once a year perhaps.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Surely at some point they'll stop debasing themselves lol

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1311224457483218947?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mojos55/status/1310716193259630592?s=19
https://twitter.com/mojos55/status/1310716921701109760?s=19
https://twitter.com/mojos55/status/1310716925396254720?s=19
https://twitter.com/mojos55/status/1310717671588212737?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You know what would surprise me, Jess? Finding a decent Tory.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1311207889969831936?s=19

Cool. And these are the ones comfortable admitting their feelings to a polling company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, all the decent tories did speak out. I heard them.