Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Voyage Home might be dated because it's literally portraying them going back to 1986, but until Paramount nuts up and produces another light-hearted Trek film that doesn't end in a fistfight, my position is that TVH is a vital, necessary part of the Star Trek canon, and anyone who says otherwise can "go to hell." :colbert:

They had no way of knowing it, but the premise is sort of...really out of date. Yeah, in 1986, there was a realistic chance of there being no humpbacks in 2286. Meanwhile, over here in 2020, projections are that they'll have returned to pre-whaling populations by the 2050s.

Unless the whales are all killed in the atomic wars, which is now my own personal understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's completely okay to ignore the existence of the TNG films, because they're all poo poo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

It's completely okay to ignore the existence of the TNG films, because they're all poo poo

Even First Contact, the token “good” TNG film, is feeling pretty wonky these days.

Also it’s funny to notice it heavily fell into the “everything about the bad guys is the color green” trend that consumed the 90s. Lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Insurrection felt like a lame TNG two-parter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Kirk should have died of old age surrounded by his dearest friends and loved ones.

Data got a more meaningful death than Kirk.

TWICE.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Even First Contact, the token “good” TNG film, is feeling pretty wonky these days.

Because it is definitely one of those movies that easily hits that "hey you know what they COULD have done" level before it is even over.

"BLOW UP THE drat SHIP!" -- Captain Sisko. There, already made it a better movie.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Thom12255 posted:

Shatner didn't have anything to do with the ILM-replacement mess either which is one of the biggest problems with the movie.

I wonder if anyone has done a fan edit with improved special effects made on a laptop.

EDIT: of course they have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geT4p1KnYsQ

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 30, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Kirk should have died of old age surrounded by his dearest friends and loved ones.

No way. Kirk died saving millions of beings on a backwater pre-warp planet. He could have lived out a perfect fantasy but he chose to do the right thing and help a fellow captain, knowing full well the odds were stacked against them. It’s an extremely Kirk death.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No the whole point of the ending of VI is that Kirk has come to terms with the fact that the world is changing, and while he's managed to make one last change with it he's old and it's okay for him to take one last cruise and then retire.

In Generations Kirk is actually given that eternal retirement, and then Patrick Stewart busts through his front door and says "Hey I know we're both way too old to do this but lets be action heroes!"

It's not just that Kirk's death is bad, they ruin his character in the process.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Action hero Picard might just be the worst element of any Trek movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

8one6 posted:

Didn't they slash the budget twice during production?

No. The Final Frontier was, by a not-insignificant margin, the highest-budgeted of the TOS movies.

You might be thinking of The Undiscovered Country, which was promised to Meyer as a $30MM movie, only for him to be told the budget was $25 million. Meyer hemmed and hawed and was eventually able to extract an extra $2.5MM from Paramount, but it wasn't enough despite the script getting heavily slashed, and ultimately the movie was canceled. Meyer had a chance encounter in the studio commissary with Paramount president Stanley Jaffe, who basically said, "I hear you're having problems on Star Trek VI."

Meyer said, "Yeah, I need another two and a half million bucks or else I can't make this movie."

Jaffe replied, "You've got it." Without that intervention, the movie doesn't happen.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Alchenar posted:

No the whole point of the ending of VI is that Kirk has come to terms with the fact that the world is changing, and while he's managed to make one last change with it he's old and it's okay for him to take one last cruise and then retire.

In Generations Kirk is actually given that eternal retirement, and then Patrick Stewart busts through his front door and says "Hey I know we're both way too old to do this but lets be action heroes!"

It's not just that Kirk's death is bad, they ruin his character in the process.

So... you're saying it would have been better for Kirk's character to just retire and politely decline any future calls to action?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Generations pretty explicitly calls Kirk’s “retirement” a sham and Kirk coming to realize that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I keep thinking you guys are talking about that TV series named V.

The best thing to come out of Star Trek V is the joke in Futurama about how Shatner got such a good performance out of himself as director because he respected himself so much.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This has me wondering:. We've seen Frakes direct. I wonder what Stewart wold be like behind the camera.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

A.o.D. posted:

This has me wondering:. We've seen Frakes direct. I wonder what Stewart wold be like behind the camera.

He directed the TNG episodes "In Theory", "Hero Worship", "A Fistful of Datas", "Phantasms", & "Preemptive Strike"

2 of those have some pretty nightmarish visuals!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Generations pretty explicitly calls Kirk’s “retirement” a sham and Kirk coming to realize that.

I just wish the unseen woman in Kirk's cabin was Carol Marcus instead of some rando. It would have given that scene a bit more punch when you realize that he got a second chance to make it work with her and he still chose Starfleet over her.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So... you're saying it would have been better for Kirk's character to just retire and politely decline any future calls to action?

Yes. Yes I'm saying that exactly. Kirk's story should have ended with the credit roll of VI. There should have been no more future calls to action. That character's whole six film arc was about moving him to a place where he was ready to let go of the things holding him to Starfleet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Character arcs are for nerds, action is where it’s at

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More dune buggies please

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

He directed the TNG episodes "In Theory", "Hero Worship", "A Fistful of Datas", "Phantasms", & "Preemptive Strike"

2 of those have some pretty nightmarish visuals!

All but one of those are Data episodes, and a few are pretty good. Huh.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sash! posted:

They had no way of knowing it, but the premise is sort of...really out of date. Yeah, in 1986, there was a realistic chance of there being no humpbacks in 2286. Meanwhile, over here in 2020, projections are that they'll have returned to pre-whaling populations by the 2050s.

Unless the whales are all killed in the atomic wars, which is now my own personal understanding.

the oceans are gonna boil sooner than that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A.o.D. posted:

All but one of those are Data episodes, and a few are pretty good. Huh.

Turns out Patrick Stewart always thought the show was about a group of friends hanging out with a robot man, and that Data was the main character.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Star Trek V is fun. It's in many ways very much like watching a big budget TOS episode with good bits of humor. Plus without its existence we never would have gotten this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You know, I always wondered if the actors ever got a very skewed or even incomprehensible view of the series. Like, you’re filming a new episode every week, maybe with a reshoot for a previous episode stuck in there, and maybe you’re on set for one day because you have two lines in the entire episode that week.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority of the episodes during a season just ran together as a jumble of out-of-order scenes for people on set, other than the people who specifically needed to know each script back and forth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

You know, I always wondered if the actors ever got a very skewed or even incomprehensible view of the series. Like, you’re filming a new episode every week, maybe with a reshoot for a previous episode stuck in there, and maybe you’re on set for one day because you have two lines in the entire episode that week.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority of the episodes during a season just ran together as a jumble of out-of-order scenes for people on set, other than the people who specifically needed to know each script back and forth.

One of the recurring things on the Delta Flyers podcast is Robert Duncan McNeill going "I don't even remember filming this" to SO much stuff as they go through each episode of Voyager on it. So maybe yes.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I also dimly remember Levar Burton mentioning on Twitter that he'd sat down and watch some old episodes of TNG, and was kinda surprised to see Geordi came off as a bit of a creep.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Every time I watch them, 5 gets a little better and 6 gets a little worse.

piratepilates posted:

the oceans are gonna boil sooner than that.

oh crap, is the Probe coming early?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching VI now. Let’s discover this country

I’m diggin this one so far! More than 3, 4, and 5 by this point for sure (we’re at the trial). Only thing that sticks out so far is, the Klingons are so sure that the two guys were part of Kirk’s crew but no one knows who they were. So if their case hinged on Kirk being responsible for his crew I’d just be like “Who were they? If you don’t know then you don’t know they’re from my crew. That’s not evidence.”

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 1, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Every time I watch them, 5 gets a little better and 6 gets a little worse.

To me the only thing that's aged badly about 6 is that a scene you could strongly argue is the worst in the movie was made even worse in the otherwise fine directors cut.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
VI was fun! I don’t think it was great but after III, IV, and V it felt like a breath of fresh air.
I think these are my TOS film rankings:
I
II
VI
IV
V
III
Though watching them all in a week kind of blues some things together. I feel like depending on the moment I can put everything in the last four slots anywhere. None of them did that much for me outside a few little bits in each movie. I and II I genuinely love as films though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Seemlar posted:

To me the only thing that's aged badly about 6 is that a scene you could strongly argue is the worst in the movie was made even worse in the otherwise fine directors cut.

I know exactly what you're talking about, and while that's easily the worst part of the movie (and possibly of all of the TOS movies) it's just the most egregious example in a movie filled with the characters acting out of character. Deepfake the JJTrek actors' faces onto any scene and tell me it isn't more fitting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I had a pleasant, brief encounter with Christopher Lloyd a few years ago at the Phoenix Comicon where, instead of asking him the ten billionth question he's heard in his life about BTTF, I asked him about his experience working on Star Trek III.

He said it was one of the most enjoyable filmmaking experiences he had up to that point, and that it didn't bother him to sit in a trailer for hours for the Klingon prosthetics because "when the makeup is that good, it just adds another layer to the performance". He said he was a fan of the original show and hadn't really done anything sci-fi before and that he enjoyed playing an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

I would venture a guess that I was probably the only person that day that even mentioned Star Trek to him. Although I think someone asked him about his time on Taxi, which was nice. I mean, everybody loves BTTF, but Lloyd has had such a long and amazing career, i'm sure he appreciates it when people bring up some of his other work.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Unmature posted:

VI was fun! I don’t think it was great but after III, IV, and V it felt like a breath of fresh air.
I think these are my TOS film rankings:
I
II
VI
IV
V
III
Though watching them all in a week kind of blues some things together. I feel like depending on the moment I can put everything in the last four slots anywhere. None of them did that much for me outside a few little bits in each movie. I and II I genuinely love as films though.

Some significant differences in our rankings. Mine, best to worst:

It's me, I'm the anti-TMP guy. The visual effects are stunning, and hold up very well even today, but dear GOD is it ever boring.
5 isn't as bad as some say, but it's still pretty bad.
3 is easily the best of the odd-numbered flicks; containing a lot of great moments despite some serious flaws.
4 is just plain silly fun.
6 is a good geopolitical adventure and a fitting sendoff for the original crew.
2 is not just my favorite Trek movie, it might actually be my favorite movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I wonder if anyone has done a fan edit with improved special effects made on a laptop.

EDIT: of course they have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geT4p1KnYsQ
Every time I see this scene, I'm always amused that in the live-action shots, the shuttle is moving at about 3mph.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Powered Descent posted:

It's me, I'm the anti-TMP guy. The visual effects are stunning, and hold up very well even today, but dear GOD is it ever boring.
I really don’t like it much either

My ranking is- 2, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Some significant differences in our rankings. Mine, best to worst:

5 isn't as bad as some say, but it's still pretty bad.
3 is easily the best of the odd-numbered flicks; containing a lot of great moments despite some serious flaws.
4 is just plain silly fun.
6 is a good geopolitical adventure and a fitting sendoff for the original crew.
2 is not just my favorite Trek movie, it might actually be my favorite movie.

2 is definitely my favorite and still holds up today. I know to some kiddos it plays out as slow and boring, like the way some old 1940s movies seemed to Gen Xers in the 80s, but I think it is incredibly solid. Beat for beat, shot for shot, nothing is wasted. It's perfect.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's perfectly okay to find TMP boring. It's the movie's one big flaw, but it's one of the worst flaws a movie can have in terms of just the experience of actually watching it. I long for an HD director's cut of the director's cut, because it fixes a lot of the pacing even though it has some other issues, and is much easier to watch.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don’t like it much either

My ranking is- 2, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5

This is where I am too but it does a huge disservice to 1 to be second-last.
2, 6, 4, 3, 1,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Lemming posted:

It's perfectly okay to find TMP boring. It's the movie's one big flaw, but it's one of the worst flaws a movie can have in terms of just the experience of actually watching it. I long for an HD director's cut of the director's cut, because it fixes a lot of the pacing even though it has some other issues, and is much easier to watch.
It just drags on and on and was clearly influenced by 2001, but Trek is not 2001. The story is also overrated IMO.