Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vasler posted:

Been waiting so long for pixel 5s to come out. Any reason to wait to pull the trigger on a preorder? Upgrading from an OG pixel.

Not really.

If you're on an OG Pixel, you probably should upgrade anyway. There's a possibility that there won't be any BF deals as they might have some pretty low stock thanks to how the year's been going so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This year's refrain is that the phone is only worth $500 because of the S20 FE combined with incredulity that the P4 and P4XL have higher tier chipset so google had forsaken pixel loyalists and isn't providing them an upgrade.

It would just make their head spin if they realized it was likely going to replace one of two SD865 phones for me as my primary device once I get it. I'm so tired of metal and glass slippery sandwiches. Textured coated aluminum? gently caress yeah.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Is "preferred care" actually worth it? It really seems like an extended warranty with incredibly limited value for what it costs. Like, I'd have to break my screen twice to actually make it worthwhile.

I think I've answered my own question.

Edit:

Is Pixel stand the best wireless charger for pixels? What other good options are out there? This thing seems quite expensive.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

This year's refrain is that the phone is only worth $500 because of the S20 FE combined with incredulity that the P4 and P4XL have higher tier chipset so google had forsaken pixel loyalists and isn't providing them an upgrade.

It would just make their head spin if they realized it was likely going to replace one of two SD865 phones for me as my primary device once I get it. I'm so tired of metal and glass slippery sandwiches. Textured coated aluminum? gently caress yeah.

It'll be so cold in the winter...and knowing my luck, I'll get static electricity from it once it gets REALLY dry out.

Glad for the weird fabric case!

Is this the first Pixel with an aluminum back?

I'm replacing my P4XL with it and said so on Reddit. Someone promptly responded that I am replacing the best Pixel Google has ever had. :v: Ok but...it's also the Pixel Google discontinued before the next phone was even out and they immediately put the P4a in press stuff over the 4 line (last year, they had 3 and 3a both in press stuff about equally).

I think even Google is ashamed of the P4 line and the P5 uh...one...phone should help make things better slowly. I'll admit...it's weird and confusing though.

I wonder if they put 4k/60fps on the P5...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am so beyond smug that this is one of those incredibly rare occasions that new tech is cheaper in Canada compared to the US :smuggo:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this the first Pixel with an aluminum back?
No, he's talking about the Pixel 5. Also, usually people just say "Pixel 1"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/j2sjmg/pixel_5_forced_arbitration/

When you buy the Pixel 5 from the Google Store, you automatically agree that you will not sue Google if your phone is hosed. This is for US customers only.

Opt out here: https://partnerdash.google.com/apps/devicearbitrationoptout/optoutform

Apparently this is a thing that's been around since the Pixel 3 but...yah.

butt dickus posted:

No, he's talking about the Pixel 5. Also, usually people just say "Pixel 1"

I think I'm missing a joke here. :v: I'm talking about the Pixel 5. I want to know if it's the first in the Pixel line with an aluminum back.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think I'm missing a joke here. :v:
a really bad one. the very first pixel had an aluminum back with a window for the fingerprint reader and antennas. they didn't do full glass backs until the 3

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I run a WireGuard VPN on my phone. The WireGuard app is nice because it lets me selectively whitelist apps if they don't work from behind the VPN for whatever reason. However, I have not been able to find any combination of whitelisting that'll let me cast to my Google Home; I have to turn the VPN completely off. Does anyone know how I can try to figure out how to let my phone talk to the Google Home while I'm still connected to the VPN?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Estimated delivery date of Nov 3 here in Canada. Woof! Sorta Sage will be fun :)

Did you all buy pixel stands to wirelessly charge?

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

Vasler posted:

Been waiting so long for pixel 5s to come out. Any reason to wait to pull the trigger on a preorder? Upgrading from an OG pixel.

The black friday price deal that might not actually come?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vasler posted:

Is "preferred care" actually worth it? It really seems like an extended warranty with incredibly limited value for what it costs. Like, I'd have to break my screen twice to actually make it worthwhile.

I have lived the past three years in mortal terror of my Nexus 6p doing the endless bootloop at the worst possible time, so yeah I wussed out for an extra hundred on my 4a this time around.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Not going with wifi 6 is pretty poor effort on Google's behalf.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am so beyond smug that this is one of those incredibly rare occasions that new tech is cheaper in Canada compared to the US :smuggo:

Isn't this because of the lack of mmWave (not that it's needed if your carrier doesn't support it)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't this because of the lack of mmWave (not that it's needed if your carrier doesn't support it)

Yup, which is a tech that no one is going to need or even use for a long time if ever. So I'm paying 600 USD for mine, minus a $330 USD tradein :smuggo:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The Pixel 5 has a regular fingerprint reader that I can use to swipe down notifications?

bull3964 posted:

The AI upscaling on the ShieldTV is no joke, but it really works best upscaling 1080p to 4k.

There's not a lot that's going to make SD TV content look good on a modern TV.

Is this something I turn on on my Shield TV? I've never noticed it.

edit: I just checked the system settings and don't see it listed anywhere. It's the 2019 Shield. Does that not have it or something?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 1, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vasler posted:

Is Pixel stand the best wireless charger for pixels? What other good options are out there? This thing seems quite expensive.

It depends on whether you'd use the Google Assistant, daylight alarm, photo frame, or DND while docked features. I use none of those but have it anyway.

You can get one cheaper on ebay, new in box about $55.

There are other cheaper chargers but you usually have to pair up the stand/plate with a charger and I didn't want to try to figure out what the magic combination was for quick charging so I went with the Pixel Stand and I quite like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ragingsheep posted:

Not going with wifi 6 is pretty poor effort on Google's behalf.

I really don't know of anyone that cares about Wifi 6 at this point. It's hardly a headline selling feature.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think I'm missing a joke here. :v: I'm talking about the Pixel 5. I want to know if it's the first in the Pixel line with an aluminum back.

Pixel 1 and 2 had aluminum bodies (2 with a soft touch coating on the back and rails). Both had glass panes at the top for NFC and some of the wireless antennas.

The glass top on the Pixel 1 especially was about as durable as soda glass. I had micro-scratches on that within the first day.

I'm really interested to see a teardown of this device or an xray to see how the back is really arranged.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is this something I turn on on my Shield TV? I've never noticed it.

Do you have the refreshed 2019 model or one of the older ones? It's only a feature on the newer ones.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Do you have the refreshed 2019 model or one of the older ones? It's only a feature on the newer ones.

Definitely the 2019 one. I don't see any option anywhere for it though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Definitely the 2019 one. I don't see any option anywhere for it though.

It should be the 3rd option down on the slideout menu under quick settings. Sleep Now, Restart, and then AI Upscaling.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Pixel 5 has a regular fingerprint reader that I can use to swipe down notifications?

Yup

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
On the one hand, I want to pre-order a Pixel 5 as my Pixel 3 had some screen issues a few months back. On the other hand, I want to wait until they're available on Amazon because FedEx has been awful about delivery lately for me. Hopefully my phone won't make that choice for me soon!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This will be the first pixel I don't buy but I would recommend it to basically anyone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

It should be the 3rd option down on the slideout menu under quick settings. Sleep Now, Restart, and then AI Upscaling.

This one? I don't see it anywhere.

Edit: wait none of the four Shields I have in my house ever came with a triangular remote. Even the two I bought in 2019 (and one in 2020) all new from Amazon. Does that mean none of mine support it?

The only thing annoying me about the 5 is the size. They're not doing normal and XL any more? The 5 looks like the size of my wife's 3a XL and I find it way too big. I hate not being able to touch the top of my screen with my thumb without having to stretch my hand like crazy while the phone wobbles from barely holding on.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 1, 2020

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Amazon has pixel 5 preorder up already (in the US at least).

I ordered one as I really liked my Pixel 3XL but the battery is starting to be a problem. I got $200 off on that one waiting for black friday but I need the phone so not too worried about paying full price. Looking forward to the phone being slightly smaller, the XL wears my arm out if used as a phone for very long.

Also ordered a chromecast on a whim, mainly because I'm tired of having to boot up a playstation or xbox to watch hbo max (no app for webos/lg). Hopefully we like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This one? I don't see it anywhere.

Edit: wait none of the four Shields I have in my house ever came with a triangular remote. Even the two I bought in 2019 (and one in 2020) all new from Amazon. Does that mean none of mine support it?

Yeah, I think you bought all older models. Both refreshed models come with the new remote.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The only thing annoying me about the 5 is the size. They're not doing normal and XL any more? The 5 looks like the size of my wife's 3a XL and I find it way too big. I hate not being able to touch the top of my screen with my thumb without having to stretch my hand like crazy while the phone wobbles from barely holding on.

The 5 is very close to the size of the 4a and 4. The 4a 5G is the XL of this generation.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know of anyone that cares about Wifi 6 at this point. It's hardly a headline selling feature.

I do? Hence why I mentioned it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

I do? Hence why I mentioned it.

The vast majority of people don't care, and hardly anyone even has a wifi 6 router. It would be a waste in this generation of phones, which are targeted at the mass market and not mega techno nerds only.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

effika posted:

On the one hand, I want to pre-order a Pixel 5 as my Pixel 3 had some screen issues a few months back. On the other hand, I want to wait until they're available on Amazon because FedEx has been awful about delivery lately for me. Hopefully my phone won't make that choice for me soon!

My roommate got his 4a from FedEx just fine...but you better believe I'm worried about my 5.

But if I cancel to order from Amazon, I lose $89 in trade-in and the money doesn't go to my card (I called, they confirmed it does if I accept it?) and just have $300 in Amazon credit.

Also the $10 credit from my roomie's 4a isn't used.

But I have a high possibility of worse customer service from Google.

..Still thinking about cancelling and going for Amazon and just not trading in the phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just order from google

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I ordered my 4 XL from Amazon last year and got it like 4 days before the release date.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

Just order from google

I'm thinking I'll cancel it and get it from Amazon. Though...I got a warranty replacement of my Pixel 2 and they still sent me a refurb within the warranty window AND wanted me to have the money in my account or else they would require the phone first.

Amazon was ready and willing to do a refund for my 4 month old P4XL if I had the same issue pop up again without any refurbs or authorization holds.

bull3964 posted:

I ordered my 4 XL from Amazon last year and got it like 4 days before the release date.

Also this too, despite the phone showing up as "no delivery date" yet but the case is Nov 4th. :v:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait so the US is actually getting the Pixel 5 later than other countries? Thats weird...
On the other hand, you guys get the new Chromecast immediately and here in Germany it releases in two weeks.
So we get the Pixel 5 two weeks earlier and the Chromecast two weeks later... i'm ok with that!
We also get some sweet Bose noise cancelling headphones which i don't need but hey, free stuff!

Also, i'm part of the Sorta Sage crew. Can't turn down a weird phone color. gently caress black and white.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G can officially shoot in 4K at 60FPS thanks to the base storage of 128GB for both devices.

The new phones are also able to take a "hi-res" photo while shooting in slow motion and time lapse videos.

These will all come to older Pixels in a software update but the Pixel 5 and 4a 5G will launch with them first.

https://www.androidcentral.com/googles-pixel-5-will-come-cinematic-pan-and-4k60fps-videos

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The vast majority of people don't care, and hardly anyone even has a wifi 6 router. It would be a waste in this generation of phones, which are targeted at the mass market and not mega techno nerds only.

I picked up a couple Wifi6 routers for work lately, and they were only like $115 CAD and seem pretty good. You'd be remiss now to buy one without it I think

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Google Play Music manager informed me it's no longer uploading any more music from now on.

My music won't fit on my current 64GB phone. It's 2 weeks til I get my Pixel 5. Will the Play Music app continue to be able to play locally stored music?

The YouTube Music app isn't suitable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do any of you Pixel users ever have connectivity issues with your USB ports?

I swear I never had problems with my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5 or 6, but both my Pixel 2 and now my 3 are starting to have really bad issues trying to plug in a USB cable. Unless I get it ~just right~ it will not connect. And then when I tap my phone to change the USB options to transfer files I'm almost guaranteed to disconnect the cable accidentally through the tiniest bit of movement. Yesterday I took a twist-tie and wrapped a wet wipe around it and cleaned out a fair bit of debris from the port, but it still doesn't work.

Some google searching around and yes there's plenty of support threads for Pixel devices reporting USB issues... But I can't tell if there's a real flaw VS just the natural result of having an exposed port on a device that spends a large amount of time in a pants pocket. But after 2 phones in a row I'm getting reluctant to buy a third Pixel device.

I'll admit I've dropped this caseless Pixel 3 more than all of my previous phones combined, but drat it's annoying. Fortunately wireless charging still works great but it makes getting videos off my phone a pain in the rear end.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Google Play Music manager informed me it's no longer uploading any more music from now on.

My music won't fit on my current 64GB phone. It's 2 weeks til I get my Pixel 5. Will the Play Music app continue to be able to play locally stored music?

For 2 weeks? Maybe. This is the sweet spot they were looking to sunset the app completely so I wouldn't be surprised if they disable all functionality in it sometime in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm sure they'll rip GPM out of your phone for you as they have with other discontinued apps.