Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh nice I can watch Blacula which I've never seen and have count toward my total film's watched and the Fran challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm still searching around but this might be the challenge I can't do because any of the films that meet the criteria, I've already seen.

You've even watched all the Nigerian horror movies on Youtube?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm still searching around but this might be the challenge I can't do because any of the films that meet the criteria, I've already seen.

You specifically can open it up to thrillers, or maybe just pick a movie you feel fulfills the challenge the most. You’re thoughtful and challenge veterans can trust you to pick something interesting for it.

Edit Gripweed brings up a good point. There’s gotta be an international film that you haven’t seen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oooh it has to be a first time watch... Hm, maybe Ganja and Hess

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
All I have to say is it sucks the Candyman remake got pushed back because that would be a fantastic pick for the first challenge.

Fuckin' Covid...

4. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018)

Here’s a little protip for people new to the challenge: kids Halloween movies are a great way to catch-up on your challenge if you fall behind. They are usually short and by nature a simple watch as well.

I saw the original years ago and it was a fun little homage to the books. Just a good kids horror movie with creepy monsters and enough references for people old enough to remember the novels. Oh, and Jack Black was easily the highlight.

The sequel honestly feels like it shouldn’t have been made. It’s not a horrible movie but they really didn’t have much in the way of building on the original. They go for a Halloween setting this time (which is nice, but not enough) and toss in a bunch of creatures willy-nilly. Then they add a plot of Slappy wanting to take over the town or something, it just feels like the studio wanted a sequel and this was the best the writers could pitch (no fault to them). I don’t know, it just feels hollow and Jack Black isn’t even in the film until the final 30 minutes (and has maybe a couple moments of screen time).

:spooky::spooky:/4

5. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

One small thing I want to mention is this film is NOT a horror anthology. The advertising was really misleading at the time and its actually a straightforward horror film. This isn’t a criticism, just an observation.

This is a great scary film in every sense of the word. It captures the spirit of the books with their creepy stories, frightening creatures and moments of pure dread in ways that surprised me. It’s a period horror movie set in 1968 where the protagonists find a haunted book in an old house and find the stories come alive. If that sounds cliche it really is not. The vibe and aesthetics in the film are outstanding and built so much tension and terror. The lighting and sets just nail an uneasy atmosphere and watching this late at night (like the title implies) is recommended.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/4

Total: 1. Alien (1979), 2. The Blair Witch Project (1999), 3. Zombieland (2009), 4. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018), 5. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

Fran Challenges:1

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
#12) The Shining (1980)

I watch this every year on the 1st. My wife and I had our first date watching this, on Oct 1, so now it's a tradition.

5 / 5

Total: 12
1. Don't Look Under the Bed (1999) / 2. Mom and Dad (2017) / 3. Daughters of Darkness (1971) / 4. Snuff (1975) / 5. Southbound (2015) / 6. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974) / 7. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) / 8. Last House on the Left (1972) / 9. The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001) / 10. Poltergeist (1982) / 11. Dead of Night (1974) / 12. The Shining (1980)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Vampires vs The Bronx debuts on Netflix tomorrow. Sweetheart is a recent one that is there. I've got Attack the Block, Sugar Hill, Blacula, Da Sweet Blood of Jesus, Ganja & Hess, and Bones on my current watchlist along with them.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Us and Get Out are also two solid horror films fitting the challenge, the former is one of my favorite horrors from the last 2-3 years.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 2, 2020

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

1. Byzantium (2012)

A mother and daughter vampire move into an old hotel... with spooky results.

I'm not sure how I feel about this movie. In a lot of ways it's a female version Interview with the Vampire. Eleanor is the sad, moral vampire who got more than they bargained for. Claire revels in her vampirism, being her new self to the fullest without conscience. Their differences make them struggle against each other but ultimately they will never fully be apart. In that sense, it doesn't do a whole lot more than every other slow, listless vampire movie.
As a metaphor for how a mother/child relationship must grow apart over time, it's not bad. It's an interesting take on the subject. But again, it doesn't really bring an awful lot to the table. Eleanor begins to remove herself because of a boy, who she falls in love with because of movie reasons. Claire does her best, ultimately doing the wrong thing a lot.
It's worth watching for some of the imagery. It has the most beautiful blood waterfall I've ever seen. Every scene is well put together, feeling like a real place.

Overall, 2.5/5.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And of course there's Tales from the Hood, but I assume we've all seen that.

Eve's Bayou is on one of the streaming services. I'm not sure if its strictly horror but I seem to recall it being talked about in Horror Noire.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls043691869/ a little bit of help, movies mentioned in Horror Noire with positive black representation, excluding the bad representation ones.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Eve's Bayou is on one of the streaming services. I'm not sure if its strictly horror but I seem to recall it being talked about in Horror Noire.

It's a drama with some horror trappings. It is a pretty good movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire

I was THIS close to putting Us on my list. Now it's a no brainer.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im gunna assume Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood, a movie I havent seen, will not be eligible for this one though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'm sure it would count but I feel bad even about doing something like Night of the LIving Dead or People Under The Stairs that had a positive black role but by a white director. I dunno, I'm feeling weird about how few "black films" I had on my list and that I was like eliminating them for each other instead of all the inferior "white films" on my list. Doing a lot of self reflection and list tinkering.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm assuming true crime documentaries don't count for the challenge but... Fiction based on true crime is? (I.e. a Dahmer documentary vs. The movie Dahmer)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does anyone have the list of films mentioned in horror noire? I remember someone putting one together last year

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Retro Futurist posted:

Does anyone have the list of films mentioned in horror noire? I remember someone putting one together last year

dorium posted:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls043691869/ a little bit of help, movies mentioned in Horror Noire with positive black representation, excluding the bad representation ones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro Futurist posted:

https://letterboxd.com/bj_slive/list/horror-noire-movies-mentioned-and-shown/

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

The Burning, 1981

It's not a marathon without at least one 80s slasher movie. Got more than one planned this year, but this is as a good warm up as any of them. Bunch of kids at a summer camp hates a counselor named Cropsy and plays a prank on him that goes wrong. The guy is badly burned beyond what anyone should be able to survive and spends five years in a hospital. Five years of being a burned up freak and building up hate towards the ones that got him burned. First thing he does leaving the hospital is to stab some prostitute to death before we cut away to some summer camp. And then it is over 40 minutes of just teenage antics with hardly any hints at this being a horror movie. Pretty sure the prostitute stabbing scene was put in there at the start to tell people this is horror. Then a group of the older teens go on a canoe trip with two counselors and the killings can begin. Cropsy's weapon of choice are hedge clippers, that leads to some nice gruesome deaths. Also one of the teens that survive to the end is played by Jason Alexander, so in my head canon, this is George from Seinfeld and this trauma might explain why he grew up to be such a fuckup. There isn't that much more that needs to be said. If you are looking for a kill every ten minutes, then stick with the Friday the 13th movies. This movie takes its sweet time to get to the stabbing. But if you just enjoy staring blankly at 80s slashers and watch teens being assholes to each other like they tend to do at summer camp, this is one is pretty alright. Far from the best slasher out there, but it got its place among the more well known titles in that particular sub genre of 80s horror.

Hot Dog Day #89 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 2, 2020

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Amber's Descent-2020 salem horror fest

Another artist moves to a secluded area to finish their masterpiece and spooky things happen. And it starts out pretty straightforward, and it looks like it has a pretty typical twist. All along pretty solid and then... it swerves into something real stupid. It has a twist, then a second twist. Then it combines both of them into a third twist that makes almost no sense. All the good will I had evaporated.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

5/31 Haunt, bridge curse,#alive, the strings, amber's descent

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’m late to the thread , but I’m once again back this year . I’ve completed every challenge except for last years, where I came up woefully under goal . This can only mean that my failing is the reason for the world flying apart this year , so it’s imperative that I am successful this year and return normalcy unto the world .

31 movies , with at least 25 being first time watches

I’m starting off with a shameful one ; Invasion of The Body Snatchers (1956) .

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dang, already a challenge giving me an excuse to queue up Slender Man.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

2. Blacula

I had thought of this movie as a bargain-bin Blaxploitation horror flick with a title straight out of a bad SNL skit but to my surprise, Blacula is a beautiful, tragic tale that's just funky as poo poo. William Marshall has rightfully gained a lot of praise for his awesome, melodramatic performance as Prince Mamuwalde- the 18th century African prince who travels the world in a quest to find support in stopping the slave trade and finds himself in the court of the one and only Count Dracula, who is apparently a real racist rear end in a top hat. If you aren't sold on that then I don't know what to tell you. Prince Mamuwalde isn't played as a joke, he is serious, intelligent, and sympathetic. Apparently Marshall has a lot to do with that and kudos to him, Blacula whips.

Like a lot of underappreciated Black movies of the 70's, it doesn't hold back in tackling social issues like racist, homophobic, incompetent cops and the different ways they treat the white and black neighborhoods of L.A. It's shockingly prescient. But my favorite part of the film was how it looked, its smoky and stylish. I love every scene in the nightclub, even the long gratuitous house band scenes. Why? Because every frame is dripping 70's swagger. I mean look at this poo poo

It's a real visual feast, even when its low budget rears it's sometimes ugly head. I love how Prince Mamuwalde in his Dracula costume doesn't even look out too of place among the modern characters, with their giant medallions and blinding patterns...of course sideburns on every male character. But as my favorite side character Skillet, who spends most of the movie trying to buy Mamuwalde's sweet rear end cape, says...He is a strrrannggggeeee dude!

Thalmus Rasulala matches the cool, charismatic intelligence of Marshall's Mamuwalde as Dr. Thomas- the pathologist hot on the heels of Blacula. Like Marshall, his character is treated as a serious, professional man who is surrounded by corruption and ignorance. I love their scene together at the nightclub when Dr. Thomas is sarcastically prodding Mamuwalde about vampires, letting him know that he knows his secret while both of them are still gleefully playing dumb. It's awesome and I can't overstate how loving cool these guys are.

Blacula deserves a much better reputation than it has, even as it has been more recently rediscovered as a hidden gem of Black cinema and one of the pioneering films of Black horror. My only real negative is that it isn't very "horrific" for a horror movie and most of the effects and makeup are very janky. But the action does features some great low-budget stunt work and it gains major bonus points for multiple burn suits!

If you haven't seen it, check it out. And if you run into Mamuwalde, especially if you are a dumb racist cop, heed the words sung by The Hues Corporation and...Look the other way when he come by you

4.5/5 :spooky:

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 2, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That title and the fact that it's diegetic did the movie's reputation no favors.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

11. Leprechaun 4: In Space - Dir: Brian Trenchard-Smith - 1996 - HBOMax

Well that was bad. It had Heidi from Home Improvement in it getting scantily clad, an alien lady showing her boobers and Miguel Nunez Jr. Those were the high points, oh and the cross dressing sarge moment, mega-Leprachaun, pancake face, a lightsaber in a cane, a cronenberg monster and hijacking a penis. So ok, maybe it wasnt terrible, but it wasnt good. Compared to my last space faring adventure it was miles ahead of Critters 4, but it also didnt have Angela Bassett.

Official Leprechaun Ranking: 3>4>1>2

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That title and the fact that it's diegetic did the movie's reputation no favors.

Well within the world of the movie, it was that racist rear end in a top hat Dracula that "curses" him with the name Blacula and I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
#1: Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

The Friday the 13th movies often disappear from free streaming come October (or whenever there's an actual Friday the 13th coming up) to encourage rentals, but this is still on Prime and I'd watched The Final Chapter recently (though too early for the challenge.)

The series is odd because it feels like actually being scary is rarely the filmmakers' first priority, and without that it's actually difficult to fill the time between kills, especially since the formula hinges on none of the doomed teenagers realizing what's happening until they're down to like 3 or so. This one revolves around Tommy Jarvis (who has aged some ten years in the two between this and Final Chapter) accidentally resurrecting Jason in an attempt to destroy his corpse, a misadventure that also results in the tragic death of TV's Horshack. Early on the film starts going for a more comic vibe than earlier ones, with very broad performances, brief vignettes of goofy characters getting killed by Jason, sight gags, etc. It's very hit and miss but some of it works. It's also notable for being I think the only entry with actual kids at the now-renamed camp.

You can sense Paramount moving to start toning down the gore- there's plenty of after-the-fact carnage and fake blood (all of which looks like strawberry jam), but the actual kills are heavily edited. It's low on lurid elements in general (not much sex either), but there is some good atmosphere. I dunno, the film has a certain charm in spite of itself, so it's gotta be doing something right. One of the more entertaining entries.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ah, the first challenge! Time to bump Blacula up to the front of my queue.

(9) Red Riding Hood (2011)
Dir. Catherine Hardwicke

A young woman who wears a red hood and has a grandmother in the woods is torn between the hunk who wants to marry her and the hunk she wants to marry. Her town is also plagued by a werewolf. Gary Oldman shows up as a werewolf killer for hire and forces a confrontation with the werewolf. Things steadily get worse until they end up just recreating the fairy tale. This movie is doing its best to invoke Twilight and not really trying at anything else. You can see what it’s trying to do and how it could succeed but instead it’s just a boring Twilight cashin.

(10) Thir13en Ghosts (2001)
Dir. Steve Beck

Tony Shalhoub’s uncle F. Murray Abraham is a ghost collector and he and most of his team are wiped out capturing his 12th ghost. Tony Shalhoub and his family inherit and then get locked inside his mysterious house made of empty glass cubes with strange latin writing on them. Surprise, the glass cubes are full of ghosts and the mysterious house is a ghost powered gate to hell! This is a remake of a William Castle movie where the gimmick was anaglyph glasses that let you see or hide the ghosts. In this version the characters have glasses that let them see the ghosts. It’s used to decent effect to scare the characters when they put the glasses on and to keep the viewers from getting too close of a look at the kinda cheap looking ghosts. Other than the speed ramping to make the ghosts creepy, I enjoyed this silly movie.

Totals:
(1) Tombs of the Blind Dead (Spanish) (1972) (2) Child’s Play 3 (1991) (3) The City of the Dead (1960) (4) Count Dracula’s Great Love (Spanish) (1973) (5) The Phantom Carriage (Swedish/Silent) (1921) (6) Dracula 2000 (2000) (7) BloodRayne: Deliverance (2007) (8) Slugs (1988) (9) Red Riding Hood (2011) (10) Thir13en Ghosts (2001)

Death: 1, Ghosts: 1, Monsters: 1, Serial Killers: 1, Vampires: 3, Werewolves: 1, Witches: 1, Zombies: 1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WeaponX posted:

Well within the world of the movie, it was that racist rear end in a top hat Dracula that "curses" him with the name Blacula and I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

It totally works in the movie, but if you hear that title and just see the trailer where he calls himself that it's just goofy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

im gunna assume Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood, a movie I havent seen, will not be eligible for this one though.

Actually, I would totally allow this if your write up directly addresses the black representation in it. It’s ripe for discussion.

dorium your Leprechaun ranking is identical to mine so far.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 2, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I am going to set my goal as 31 and actually do 31 this year.

1. WNUF Halloween Special (2013) dir. Chris LaMartina and James Branscome

I hadn't ever seen this and it came up in the main Horror Thread. So, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I was excited to start with it because a found footage film from the 2010s that I had been sitting on was like finding fifty bucks in my pocket. But I don't like this. It's more impressive than it is fun. It reminded me of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, but it can't help indulging just a bit too much. Some of the gags like the child being murdered by a Vietnam Vet or a few of the commercials just give up the game. The commercials become tiring at one point, but the tone is weird. The film ends in a surprisingly brutal but still low-key manner when I was hoping for it to just go off the trails. I can appreciate it, but I can't really enjoy it.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Does Ax 'Em count towards this challenge? I'll probably watch a good film for the Fran Challenge regardless, but still.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 2, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It totally works in the movie, but if you hear that title and just see the trailer where he calls himself that it's just goofy.

Oh for sure. But it’s still a better title than Blackenstein. I think? It’s close.

Yesterdays Piss
Nov 8, 2009

(2/31)

Midsommar

I just finished watching it, and my whole body is still buzzing from the experience. What a beautiful, brutal and devastating movie. And a worthy entry in the "good for her" genre.

I don't tend to like cultist movies, but both of Ari Aster films have succeeded in making them compelling and terrifying to me. I also love how the aggressive brightness permeating the entire film manages to turn daylight into something eerie and menacing. Furthermore, in addition to being absolutely beautiful to look at, the film is dripping with meaning and symbolism. The intro basically reflects the journey the audience will be taken on. The camera lingers on an idyllic, peaceful snowscape just long enough to lull them into a false sense of security that is abruptly disrupted by a shocking event (the ringing phone) bringing them back to stark reality.

I also loved all the little touches that showed that the director was playing with the audience as much as it was playing with its characters: the obscuring of diegetic and non-diegetic sound, the fourth wall breaking, the flowers writhing just outside your field of vision, the eyes that are slightly too far apart and the grins that a just a little too wide. This mirroring of the character's confused delight with the village is, in my opinion, thematically consistent with the film, which I felt was as much about the healing power of empathy and emotional connections as it was about finding a sense of community.

An excellent film.

oh, I forgot to post my movie list last time: https://boxd.it/8QBzk

Yesterdays Piss fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 14, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Actually, I would totally allow this if your write up directly addresses the black representation in it. It’s ripe for discussion.

dorium your Leprechaun ranking is identical to mine so far.

hmmmmmm we'll have to see what happens when I get to it. Tomorrow im gunna watch In The Hood for the first time sober! so im sure i'll have thoughts on that one at least.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
14. Blacula (1972 ) Fran Challenge #1

Fran's horror challenge for Horror Noir or movies featuring a predominantly black cast that we've never seen gave me the perfect reason to check out Blacula. I'm glad I did! I was expecting something really cheesy low budget and not very good. I was really surprised at how good this was. Its a rather bloodless affair as far as vampire movies go , but it does have a great kind of gross ending which I really liked. I also liked how matter of fact the lead was about how " There are vampires, they produce , we gotta stop them". I thought this would be done with some humor and the humor is there but the film is played 100% serious which was a big surprise for me. The only negative thing I could say was I didn't like the two gay stereotypes at the beginning , but it wasn't too bad. Overall I was really happy with the film.

14/31

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm going for 31 this month, but I'm not going to bother with trying for new-to-me movies or fitting any theme. I just want an excuse to distract myself for a couple of hours a day.

1) Trick 'r Treat (2007)
A friend of mine gave me a Sam mask last month, which led my husband to ask what the little guy on it was from. Back when Trick 'r Treat came out, he'd only really watch horror comedies or the occasional zombie movie with me, but living with a horror nerd has apparently acclimated him enough for it to go over okay.

Every time I watch this one, I'm reminded of how clever the structure is; cutting back and forth between the stories smooths out that unevenness that even the best anthology movies have. I also have a really vivid memory of seeing this for the first time and being blown away by how twisty and polished it is, especially that school bus story and the little red riding hood one. It's fun enough to stand up to rewatches, but there's also enough nastiness to give it some bite even after you know what's coming. Overall, it's just a really satisfying seasonal movie, making it was the perfect way to start the month.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

duz posted:

(10) Thir13en Ghosts (2001)
Dir. Steve Beck

Tony Shalhoub’s uncle F. Murray Abraham is a ghost collector and he and most of his team are wiped out capturing his 12th ghost. Tony Shalhoub and his family inherit and then get locked inside his mysterious house made of empty glass cubes with strange latin writing on them. Surprise, the glass cubes are full of ghosts and the mysterious house is a ghost powered gate to hell! This is a remake of a William Castle movie where the gimmick was anaglyph glasses that let you see or hide the ghosts. In this version the characters have glasses that let them see the ghosts. It’s used to decent effect to scare the characters when they put the glasses on and to keep the viewers from getting too close of a look at the kinda cheap looking ghosts. Other than the speed ramping to make the ghosts creepy, I enjoyed this silly movie.

I have a soft spot for that movie. I remember it really scared me when it came out. They certainly look cheap but I like some of the ghost designs and the house in general. I remember the dvd had a great special feature with backstories about all the ghosts.

Looking back it’s very silly and dated. It feels very of that particular era. But it’s a guilty pleasure for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Fran challenge:

quote:

Watch a film mentioned in the documentary Horror Noire as a strong representation of black culture (not one of the movies they use as an example of bad representation.)

2. Attack the Block (2011)

After watching it, I feel like this maybe shouldn’t count towards the challenge? Horror Noire was the main reason I watched this since I don’t remember reading anything about it elsewhere, but maybe they were just praising John Boyega, I don’t remember. I’ll be sure to watch Blacula or something too.

The movie is a sci-fi/horror/action/comedy about a gang of early teen delinquents defending their London block against space monsters.

You first see the youths in a very negative light, but the movie fills in backstory to build sympathy. It partially succeeds at that. I think (hope) most people would understand beforehand that kids this age mainly get involved in bad activity due to societal and not personal failings. Deeper in the movie Moses (Boyega) does voice some of those thoughts when he speculates that the monsters are just another attempt by The Powers That Be to destroy low income areas after drugs and guns failed to finish them off.

One great thing is that the movie does not waste your time trying to explain the aliens. They fall from the sky and immediately start murking folks. Characters speculate about their lifecycle and that’s about it. Their design is both budget friendly and visually distinctive. Purely as a creature feature it’s entertaining, although I don’t think I feel the need to rewatch it.