Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This discussion is incredibly apropos considering this week's lower decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The first Star Trek movie centers on two sucky Ensign Billy characters and it's five hours long with 44 minutes of script, so on a storytelling level it's a complete disaster. However, the visuals in HD are fantastic and to this day there's no Star Trek movie like it visually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean I’m glad that it has great visuals, but I’m not slogging through that movie again

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

All the TOS movies have a special place for me because they were so much a part of my childhood. I never really discovered TNG or DS9 until much later. But if someone put a gun to my head and asked me to name my favorites, it'd be II, IV, VI, III, V, I.

The Motion Picture is similar to Final Frontier in that it's not a great movie but has some great character moments. But TMP is a bit too much up its own rear end in trying to be 2001: A Space Odyssey, and it makes for a boring and anti-septic viewing experience.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My gripe with TMP is how it seems like it takes three hours for the movie to actually start.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Things should be more like TMP and less like whatever the hell it is they do now

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My memories of ST I have been kind of replaced by the various recut/abridged fan edits that I've seen.

I can't imagine watching it in full without being a super die hard Trek fan.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tighclops posted:

Things should be more like TMP and less like whatever the hell it is they do now

Given a choice between TMP and the ADHD pace of JJTrek or other modern action blockbusters, I'd choose TMP in a heartbeat.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I love the pacing of TMP. Makes me want a Nicolas Winding Refn Trek

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
TMP is the closest to depicting the actual future we lived through in the last decade, with everyone dressed like Marin County 1975.

McCoy's pendant and beard are EVERYTHING.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/polclarissou/status/1311367890067652617?s=20

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Last post about How Much For Just The Planet? since I just finished it. 10/10, A+, 5 stars great Trek

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

trying to imagine Into Darkness starting off with an overture

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Threshold, but with opening overture and intermission suite.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

This discussion is incredibly apropos considering this week's lower decks.

I just watched it and holy poo poo, you're right.

Anyone out there who isn't watching Lower Decks, you may want to watch this one (1x09 "Crisis Point"). (And be sure to remember everything you know about all of the Star Trek movies.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unmature posted:

Last post about How Much For Just The Planet? since I just finished it. 10/10, A+, 5 stars great Trek

Someone give the captain a pie!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Got my copy of The Price of the Phoenix in the mail. This is all your faults somehow

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I just watched it and holy poo poo, you're right.

Anyone out there who isn't watching Lower Decks, you may want to watch this one (1x09 "Crisis Point"). (And be sure to remember everything you know about all of the Star Trek movies.)

And if you can't do that, well... have a clip.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ten minutes into Generations and I already hate this movie

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

And if you can't do that, well... have a clip.

Side note: the music in this is to the Star Trek II theme as the TAS Intro music is to the TOS Intro music. Fascinating.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hang on, so literally any time someone hailed the bridge of the Enterprise they could have just taken a screenshot and zoomed into the background and just totally bypassed their shields?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unmature posted:

Hang on, so literally any time someone hailed the bridge of the Enterprise they could have just taken a screenshot and zoomed into the background and just totally bypassed their shields?

I'm literally on a teams video call right now where any text detected in the background of people is auto-blurred.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I'm literally on a teams video call right now where any text detected in the background of people is auto-blurred.

The Federation should start using Zoom

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Also, excuse me, but the "HERE'S OUR SHIELD FREQUENCY, ASSHOLES" screen is in main engineering. Of course they're not stupid enough to put it on the bridge :colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, excuse me, but the "HERE'S OUR SHIELD FREQUENCY, ASSHOLES" screen is in main engineering. Of course they're not stupid enough to put it on the bridge :colbert:

I might not have been paying full attention because this movie sucks. How did the Klingons get a view of engineering?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They hacked Geordi's Visor.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well its probably on the bridge but even when Geordie is at the engineering station he needs to look over at Worf's console like he's cheating on a test.

Unmature posted:

I might not have been paying full attention because this movie sucks. How did the Klingons get a view of engineering?

They bugged the visor on the only engineer who doesn't go to Engineering.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ahhh ok that does make more sense. Now tell me why the replicator can’t make clothes that fit anybody

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unmature posted:

Ahhh ok that does make more sense. Now tell me why the replicator can’t make clothes that fit anybody

They made new costumes for generations, started filming in them, decided they sucked, and switched to DS9 uniform style at the last second, so they didn't have time to make everyone new uniforms and just grabbed whatever was closest in the DS9 closet. Riker is wearing captain sisko's uniform, for example.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There was an extended sequence with Soran trying to get information out of Geordi that was cut from the film.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh I know that but I want to know the canon reason. Somebody no-prize why Picard looks like he’s in a freakin Halloween costume

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Oh I know that but I want to know the canon reason. Somebody no-prize why Picard looks like he’s in a freakin Halloween costume

This is what happens when you start a new uniform rollout and then suddenly the star you're parked next to loving explodes and rogue Klingon war criminals kidnap your chief engineer because your third officer installed a new OS improperly. poo poo gets hosed up in the checklist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Incidentally, Ron Moore once said he was sad they made Yesterday's Enterprise because if they hadn't, that's what they would've done for Generations: the Enterprise-A coming through a time rift and having to go back knowing they (or at least Kirk) would die for the future.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Data cries cheese

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MikeJF posted:

Incidentally, Ron Moore once said he was sad they made Yesterday's Enterprise because if they hadn't, that's what they would've done for Generations: the Enterprise-A coming through a time rift and having to go back knowing they (or at least Kirk) would die for the future.

There is a fan trailer for this that I think is neat. Besides, TMP is a rehash of old episodes anyways so they should have just gone for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Unmature posted:

Got my copy of The Price of the Phoenix in the mail. This is all your faults somehow

Why would you do this to yourself

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Why would you do this to yourself

if I survived Star Trek V I can survive this

Actually I think I’d put Generations below V

Unmature fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 2, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, from like three weeks ago:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Rather than the saucer landing flat and skimming across the surface, I wanted to see it tilt over, roll for several thousand feet and end up spinning to a stop like a coin.

https://i.imgur.com/G4oEYpe.gifv

Almost!

E: damnit, you can't embed mp4s inside spoiler tags?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 2, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Hah, from like three weeks ago:

https://i.imgur.com/G4oEYpe.gifv

Almost!

E: damnit, you can't embed mp4s inside spoiler tags?

can't unsee it as being carried by spider-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

This is what happens when you start a new uniform rollout and then suddenly the star you're parked next to loving explodes and rogue Klingon war criminals kidnap your chief engineer because your third officer installed a new OS improperly. poo poo gets hosed up in the checklist.
Also your family somehow dies in a fire in the 24th century