Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

so if I'm sitting on a 1060 and was hoping to do an upgrade by the end of the year so that my roommate can inherit it (for context, their pc can barely run destiny 2 at 30, a game that runs at like 90fps for me, so it'd be a big upgrade for them), but i'm still rocking a 1080p60 monitor with no plans to upgrade so I have zero reason to get a 3080, i'm now wondering what to do. hope to get a 3070 in november or december? put my prayers in big navi? look for a used 1660 super (since its not like the 2000 series is going down in price)? buy a ps5 and share it with my roommate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Have any UK folks got a preorder with ebuyer? Has anyone received a card yet?

I put in a preorder with them just after release for a Gigabyte OC and they took my money so now I'm just sitting around hoping it will magically ship some time this month but who knows.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

so if I'm sitting on a 1060 and was hoping to do an upgrade by the end of the year so that my roommate can inherit it (for context, their pc can barely run destiny 2 at 30, a game that runs at like 90fps for me, so it'd be a big upgrade for them), but i'm still rocking a 1080p60 monitor with no plans to upgrade so I have zero reason to get a 3080, i'm now wondering what to do. hope to get a 3070 in november or december? put my prayers in big navi? look for a used 1660 super (since its not like the 2000 series is going down in price)? buy a ps5 and share it with my roommate?

I'd say used at this point. If you're not upgrading your monitor then RTX 3080 is defnitely not worth it. All this years cards will most likely be extremely overkill for 1080p (especially at 60fps). Whatever you can score for cheap for under 150usd maybe?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

eh i gather this is a marketing decision given amd is showing off their new gpus on the 28th. it'll be a couple of weeks to get stock to pile up, sure, but mainly it's to show an immediate response to anything amd reveals

going to put a ton of pressure on reviewers all leading up to the console releases though

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If the 3070 is delayed 2 weeks but actually buyable on day 1 that's probably a net improvement vs the 3080 situation.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
"Won" the right to buy a 3090 from CCL here in the UK, but it took almost a week to actually get them to take my money and ship me a card.

It came and it is definitely a helluva upgrade in size from my 980ti

But because the 011D-XL is like a tardis and massive inside once it's installed it doesn't actually look insanely out of place

Nice to be able to go back to running absolutely everything completely maxed out on settings.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Is Amazon ever getting any graphics cards? As bad as stock has been in general, they still seem wierdly out of the game for how huge they are.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

eh i gather this is a marketing decision given amd is showing off their new gpus on the 28th. it'll be a couple of weeks to get stock to pile up, sure, but mainly it's to show an immediate response to anything amd reveals

going to put a ton of pressure on reviewers all leading up to the console releases though

its weird because if i couldve gotten a 3070 on release day i would not wait for AMDs thing but now they're waiting that late i might consider it if their offering is good enough

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Any Brits waiting still waiting on progress from CCL? Apparently I was 8th in the queue for a Zotac but still no movement. Got a water cooled 3900X build in boxes giving me a real tell tale heart vibe.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Theophany posted:

Any Brits waiting still waiting on progress from CCL? Apparently I was 8th in the queue for a Zotac but still no movement. Got a water cooled 3900X build in boxes giving me a real tell tale heart vibe.

I have a friend who was Mid 30s in line for a Gigabyte Gaming from launch who is still waiting. The other person I knew of who ordered from CCL was mid teens for the same card has got theirs now, so I guess it's literally down to supply from the AIBs themselves.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AirRaid posted:

I have a friend who was Mid 30s in line for a Gigabyte Gaming from launch who is still waiting. The other person I knew of who ordered from CCL was mid teens for the same card has got theirs now, so I guess it's literally down to supply from the AIBs themselves.

Makes sense! I haven't bothered contacting CCL in case a). they make it up as they go along or b). nerds pestering their CS team mysteriously get bumped down the queue.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

sean10mm posted:

Is Amazon ever getting any graphics cards? As bad as stock has been in general, they still seem wierdly out of the game for how huge they are.

Various European amazon stores had shipments come in which all are gone within about a minute.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm excited to pick up my...2080 Super today *sad trombone*

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

Do you have a method to quickly switch from monitor to TV? I have 2 monitors and its a chore switching to the TV.

I downloaded NirCmd to make keyboard shortcuts with bat files but can't find a command to disable and enable specific displays.

DisplayFusion is my app of choice for this - can bind hotkeys to switch monitor profiles and audio devices all at once.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Theophany posted:

Makes sense! I haven't bothered contacting CCL in case a). they make it up as they go along or b). nerds pestering their CS team mysteriously get bumped down the queue.

Actually from my and Wiggly Wayne's experience, they're super helpful and friendly, might be worth shooting them an email, asking if they have an estimate for stock.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AirRaid posted:

Actually from my and Wiggly Wayne's experience, they're super helpful and friendly, might be worth shooting them an email, asking if they have an estimate for stock.

Ok, will do and report back. Thanks!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Undervolting deffo seems like the way to go. You can maintain boost clocks for longer periods since you're not bumping up against the power limit repeatedly. Think the only thing I have left to decide is to either stick with the stock fan curve or use an aggressive one. Stock I'm hitting mid 70's while aggressive caps out at around 65c at the cost of increased fan noise which I don't find too egregious but still very audible in a Meshify C (this being an FE). Probably would make more sense with headphones while playing.

I need to open up a window. :shepface:

Edit: ~250w in Control is nice however!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It looks like Asus isn't doing a TUF 3 fan cooler version of the 3070, but instead has a 2 fan cooler that's extra fat.

RXT 3070 FE: 242 x 112 mm, 2 slots

Asus RTX 3070 Dual/Dual OC: 267 x 135 mm, 2.7 slots

Which actually works out to a lot more volume than the FE.

:btroll:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mistikman posted:

You got lucky, mine is still sitting at backordered.

They must have had a known quantity, and any orders beyond that (I ordered mine a little over an hour after your post telling us they were showing them in stock) got stuck at backordered for real.

They did lower the cost on my order by about $40 for reasons I can't really explain, so even if it takes a little longer, it's only going to be a $110 markup instead of $150.

I’m not trying to get my hopes up that there are actual cards but when I called to update my shipping info the rep told me I was in the 20’s on the list.

I threw my info in so fast I typed my street wrong and had to call them about it.

Edit: and they charged my card this morning

Rolo fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 2, 2020

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

real_scud posted:

"Won" the right to buy a 3090 from CCL here in the UK, but it took almost a week to actually get them to take my money and ship me a card.

It came and it is definitely a helluva upgrade in size from my 980ti

But because the 011D-XL is like a tardis and massive inside once it's installed it doesn't actually look insanely out of place

Nice to be able to go back to running absolutely everything completely maxed out on settings.

Are you satisfied with your temps and fan noise with this setup? I’m thinking about moving away from my custom water loop and basically doing exactly what you have here.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Phoned CCL and my opening gambit was along the lines of "sorry if I'm the 100th nerd to have called you about my order today" and the CS agent started laughing and asked if it was about a 3080 lol.

They say they're getting steady but small levels of stock coming in but can't say when they'll arrive and that they are expecting supply to slow over the Chinese holiday. She also confirmed that I've jumped up the queue by 6 places, so they've shipped a grand total of 6 Zotac cards from their backorder log :stare:

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Not sure if it's okay to ask in here but would any UK goons be interested in a EVGA RTX 3090 XC Gaming? I got an order in with Scan when the cards went up on the 24th and the last I've heard from them is it's due to be shipped next Monday. Cost would be what I paid + however much postage would be.

I've got my FE installed now and I'm happy with it and I can't be hosed with reselling on Ebay or whatever so if not I'm going to cancel the order I think.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A CDW rep on Reddit just provided estimated arrival dates to their warehouses.

For people like me, they mentioned that they’re getting just over 100 of the XC3 cards so those that ordered late the other day will have to wait another round.

Sorry for the image, the Reddit app won’t let me just copy text.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So I'm #695 in the queue for an ASUS TUF 3080 from OCUK. See you in 2021 I guess. :smithicide:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So I'm #695 in the queue for an ASUS TUF 3080 from OCUK. See you in 2021 I guess. :smithicide:

I've ordered an EVGA 2080 Super from Scan so I can get speed now & then step it up later. Pro - more frames now, relaxed queue, Con - it's an FTW GAMING whatever and might only barely fit in my case.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 2, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

IT HAS ARRIVED. God this 3080 is so heavy. What is the best GPU sag support to get? No way I am going without, it feels heavy enough it would just snap the connection as soon as I stand up my case.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's heavy but also really sturdy so there is no sag at all in my case, seems completely fine.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sean10mm posted:

If the 3070 is delayed 2 weeks but actually buyable on day 1 that's probably a net improvement vs the 3080 situation.

it's going to be exactly the same

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

D-Pad posted:

IT HAS ARRIVED. God this 3080 is so heavy. What is the best GPU sag support to get? No way I am going without, it feels heavy enough it would just snap the connection as soon as I stand up my case.

Antique marble.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

an actual dog posted:

it's going to be exactly the same

Yep. Almost-2080 Ti performance at $500 means high demand.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Would this work for GPU sag support?

https://www.amazon.com/CloverTale-Aerospace-Upgraded-Version-Black/dp/B077LGLN4G?th=1

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've had cards like the 9800GX2 and Strix OC 1080 and never seen card sag.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i didn't think the card was heavy, if anything i thought it was a bit thin

okay so i just repasted my cpu cooler, switched an exhaust fan and retuned my cooling setup. to hammer home the point that core clock speeds weren't changed by the driver and end users as a whole don't have the rigor to see the driver impact:

i've got my fan profiles in a really nice spot for thermal management vs noise, this was more trying to test my cpu (there was more to this than port royal) but i figured the stats were worth posting in this one

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

lego bricks and action figures are also popular non-conductive choices

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yep. Almost-2080 Ti performance at $500 means high demand.

Almost? Have you seen benchmarks we haven't got access to? They promised greater than, but they're also often full of poo poo.
Still, best to give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume it'll be around 2080 Ti performance, until we get good data.
It certainly scared enough people in to selling their 2080 Tis like they were worthless junk

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 2, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Almost? Have you seen benchmarks we haven't got access to? They promised greater than, but they're also often full of poo poo.
Still, best to give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume it'll be around 2080 Ti performance, until we get good data.
It certainly scared enough people in to selling their 2080 Tis like they were worthless junk

This graph is the best we have right now, even if it is from Nvidia themselves.

It's over in some, just under in some. Obviously actual unbiased data is needed, but seems around that mark.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

D-Pad posted:

I just offset the bottom intake fans and slapped the little shelf thing the Ncase M1 comes with under mine. I wasn't noticing much sag in the first place on my ASUS Z490-I, but better safe than sorry, and 3mm of fan offset still leaves them with full access to the bottom vent.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
after a lot of tut-tutting about "never trust first-party benchmarks!" the NVIDIA benchmarks for 3080 ended up being basically accurate. You have to carefully watch what they are choosing to show you, like the "1.9x perf watt! (in a locked framerate scenario that strains the 2080 but lets the 3080 idle down)" figure, or all the benchmarks being done at 4K to hide poor scaling at 1080p, but they're not actually gimmicking the numbers themselves.

no reason to suspect that 3070 is where they suddenly started lying

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i ran a couple of tests with system and gpu fans at 100%, noticeably loud but trying to see if the thermal bottleneck on boost could be removed

ended with an average core of 1994, peaking to 2040 in port royal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tbh I do lock my framerate because for what I do I don't need the thing putting out a hundred extra frames I'll never see just to suck down power and heat my apartment.