Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
:stare: so I just woke up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The only somewhat comparable situation I can find is Mel Carnahan's 2000 MI Senate election victory over incumbent John Ashcroft, where Carnahan, his son, and his campaign manager died in a plane accident 38 days before the election.

Carnahan's death improved his polling and seemed to help his wife's campaign (state laws prevented his name from being removed from the ballot, but his wife was treated as the unofficial candidate and was seated by the governor when Carnahan won).

However, Pence wouldn't be as sympathetic as Jean Carnahan and Mel was both very popular within the state and ran a very retail politics kind of campaign. So I don't think this is really that comparable.

Hmm.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Blurred posted:

I've always thought that when Trump's support amongst his base began to crack, that it'd fall to pieces very quickly. The reason is that support for him seems to be premised mostly on emotional and identarian factors, which are extremely powerful motivators, but which can be difficult to sustain, and which tend to lose their salience very rapidly once doubt begins to set it (much as religious people who begin doubting their faith tend to end up as atheists rather than merely more sketical believers - a single crack in the structure can bring the whole thing down).

Support for Trump is often founded upon factors like:

• Fear (e.g. fear of the nation being overrun by radical leftists / "those people")
  • Strength and power (i.e. the rightful return of the US and "people like us" to the top of the heirarchy)
  • Transgression and subversion (i.e. it is "fun" to see Trump riling up the media, the left and the "elite" as he shakes the whole system up by saying "what we're all thinking". In Michael Moore's words, Trump's election was primarily a big "middle finger" to the establishment)

The debate basically confronted Trump supporters, in a very visceral way, with the incredibly shaky foundations upon which these emotions have been constructed. Firstly, it's difficult to "fear" Joe Biden in the way that it might have been difficult to fear Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama or other political enemies - certain prejudices just don't apply to slightly enfeebled old white men. Secondly, Trump did not project strength or power, but rather came across as whiny and desperately thin-skinned. To people who have only had access to him through a particular media filter - e.g. through select clips of him bragging and swaggering at rallies - to be confronted with that version of Trump must have been pretty jarring. Thirdly, it just isn't "fun" anymore. Everyone's just fed up and exhausted by his poo poo, and again the debate may have been the first time that Trump supporters were forced to confront that feeling for themselves.

I think we will really start to see the arse fall out of Trump's polling this week as a result. There will always be a cult of true-believers, and a reliable coterie of Faustian conservatives who recognise Trump for what he is but don't give a poo poo because he delivers then tax cuts, but I can see a lot of his supporters giving up in despair after that. That is not to say that they can't still be won over - and I expect this week will be a temporary nadir for Trump, rather than a permanent new floor - but the aura of inevitablity has been punctured for a lot of people, and that's probably the worst thing that can happen with respect to Trumps re-election chances. In 5 years you won't meet a single person who will happily own up to having been an enthusiastic trump supporter - the only question in my opinion is when, exactly, they choose to jump off the bandwagon.

So this post is really good, but I want to provide some insight offered by some recent experiences with both white boomer social media posts, and in person

My in laws who are very typical white boomers up until last Sunday believed Trump was a loud brash idiot, but he knew what he was doing with money "because of the economy"

No lie, the tax returns showed white boomers who idolize their Dragonhorde retirement wealth that Trump is worth WAAAY less than they are, and he's loving poor. Combine that with the debate where he came off as his most petulant child on meth, and he shattered a lot of boomer's idealization

Trump committed the cardinal sin to white boomers: he's poor

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:stare: so I just woke up

Thanks, keep us posted

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Tibalt posted:

The only somewhat comparable situation I can find is Mel Carnahan's 2000 MI Senate election victory over incumbent John Ashcroft, where Carnahan, his son, and his campaign manager died in a plane accident 38 days before the election.

Carnahan's death improved his polling and seemed to help his wife's campaign (state laws prevented his name from being removed from the ballot, but his wife was treated as the unofficial candidate and was seated by the governor when Carnahan won).

However, Pence wouldn't be as sympathetic as Jean Carnahan and Mel was both very popular within the state and ran a very retail politics kind of campaign. So I don't think this is really that comparable.

Hmm.

Maybe if Carnahan has spent the previous six months talking about how plane crashes aren’t real and seatbelts don’t work and anyone who ever died in a plane clash actually died of a pre-existing condition...

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

biden won't stop poo poo and this point. he will say some well meaning words and poo poo but thats it. trump will either recover fully. recover but be hosed up and probably die in the next few years or he will die. idk. hope he lives. i want to see him lose.

Any chance of this but in English?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

letthereberock posted:

Maybe if Carnahan has spent the previous six months talking about how plane crashes aren’t real and seatbelts don’t work and anyone who ever died in a plane clash actually died of a pre-existing condition...
I mean, his son was piloting the plane and Mel had made a big deal about how he was criss-crossing the state to meet voters, so it wasn't like he wasn't contributing to the risk. I'm not sure we can assume that voters won't be sympathetic to Trump and his family, necessarily.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tibalt posted:

I mean, his son was piloting the plane and Mel had made a big deal about how he was criss-crossing the state to meet voters, so it wasn't like he wasn't contributing to the risk. I'm not sure we can assume that voters won't be sympathetic to Trump and his family, necessarily.
My fear scenario is that Trump recovers but Melania succumbs to the illness and that becomes the sympathy vote.

I still think that's a really far-fetched theory though.

I just wish this whole thing happened with like 3 days to the election so that we could get all the attack ads in quick and not have to deal with the uncertainty of a full month of whatever happens here.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thanks, keep us posted

No need to be hostile. The poo poo going on right now is loving crazy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/simonowens/status/1312018766142865411?s=20

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

wilderthanmild posted:

I really hope this doesn't get flipped around again. If I recall correctly, one of the things Clinton did that contributed to the loss was trying to go run up the score in less likely states like TX and basically took PA/OH/FL/WI for granted.

Hillary was a terrible loving candidate with vast reserves of terrible issues that drug her down. However, it's important when looking back at her garbage campaign to not overly discount her terrible strategy. If it weren't for the actual thing that cost her the win, it's quite possible that running up the score would have worked out.

Never forget that the thing that truly was the finishing blow that gave us your favorite president was James Comey, the dumbest motherfucker to ever count their chickens before they hatched, telling the world that Hillary was back under investigation.

Finally, the endless parade of terrible poo poo that is 2020 has metastasized into Three Stooges Syndrome. We're saved, for at least 3 Scaramuccis.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Biden's nuts if he suspends his campaign. He doesn't need to tapdance on Trump's grave, sure, he should be cautious about what tone he takes when attacking Trump from here on out, but this is absolutely the time to turn out the base, portray strength and stability where Trump is provably weak, and close the fuckin' deal.

John McCain ruined the chance of anyone else suspending their campaign for the foreseeable future. I mean, Trump is a dumb and brain diseased entity, but suspending his campaign runs counter to his preferred rear end in a top hat, cowardly bully persona.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Biden might not have a choice but to suspend at least his own in person campaigning until he knows for sure he’s not sick. Obviously everything else continues full steam ahead.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there any merit to this tweet? I have a hard time believing Mitch would stop at anything to confirm Amy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

smoobles posted:

Is there any merit to this tweet? I have a hard time believing Mitch would stop at anything to confirm Amy.

Yeah I'd wager we'll see a tele-vote from congress confirming her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Biden might not have a choice but to suspend at least his own in person campaigning until he knows for sure he’s not sick. Obviously everything else continues full steam ahead.

Not doing in person campaigning is the very heart of Joe Biden's inexplicably winning 2020 campaign strategy.

smoobles posted:

Mitch can't loose more than 1 other Senator, and since even Ted Cruz and Rick Scott have self quarantined it's very likely he's down the votes to push through the pick right now. Which is assuming the nominee doesn't quarantine herself, stalling the train all on it's own.

Of course this could also be the thing that finally gets remote voting inserted into the rules.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
hard to know but it seems possible that Trump was positive and contagious when he debated Biden, based on this timeline:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1312021288894988289

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DandyLion posted:

Yeah I'd wager we'll see a tele-vote from congress confirming her.

Congress does not do tele-votes at all, and I don't think they are going to change the rules over this.

They will vote after the election if they have to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Congress does not do tele-votes at all, and I don't think they are going to change the rules over this.

They will vote after the election if they have to.

Officially, to change senate rules you gotta first do it in person, and you need 67 votes. Based on this:

https://twitter.com/Zachary_Cohen/status/1312026140941398017

They'll probably just wait a few days for everyone to get tested a few times before deciding how to handle.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilweasel posted:

Officially, to change senate rules you gotta first do it in person, and you need 67 votes. Based on this:

They'll probably just wait a few days for everyone to get tested a few times before deciding how to handle.

That's to fully change the rules. You only need 51 to sustain a clarification of the existing rules that gets you to where you want to be anyway.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone think this might increase Trump's campaign donations a little? I can see the religious types and the die hards feeling like "he needs out help more than ever!" but maybe not. They like to crowd fund the people see as martyrs in the culture war (like Gay Cake Lady and Rittenhouse) so I've been going back and forth on it.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/trump-s-winning-voter-registration-battle-against-biden-key-states-n1241674

Is this a big deal?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

General consensus I've seen appears to be no, a lot of those registrations are coming in places where more dems are already registered.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As of a few days ago, the Biden campaign actually did start their doorknocking program.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hillary had a ton more registration in 16. Its not good but :shrug: it isn't going to decide the election by itself.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

No, because Democrats were already enormously up in voter registration these places over the past 4 years. The GOP is just really late in even trying to catch up, which they aren't.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/democrats-have-voter-registration-advantage-four-states-n1238805

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
On a campaign strategy note, this takes a substantial amount of wind out of the Republican thing where they mock the dems for being careful

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Daduzi posted:

Any chance of this but in English?

:chloe:

don’t be a piece of poo poo to Dapper Swindler, dude

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

evilweasel posted:

so uh

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1312055257992753152

i think the barrett nomination schedule just got thrown off

they'll still confirm her in the lame duck but that will be much more of a stick in the eye for voters, making it easier to go the court-packing route

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

evilweasel posted:

so uh

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1312055257992753152

i think the barrett nomination schedule just got thrown off

they'll still confirm her in the lame duck but that will be much more of a stick in the eye for voters, making it easier to go the court-packing route

So there's, like, no way a significant chunk of the senate GOP isn't at high risk of being infected, right? Between Trump and now Lee.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There is too much fearmongering that this is like Larry Hogans cancer. Trump is supposed to get massive sympathy or something for almost purposely contracting the virus he has failed to contain for so many others. All of this in a country that wildly stigmatizes people for conditions remotely within their control. I just don’t see how that is the narrative if the Democrats don’t completely poo poo the bed here and pivot to healthcare and stimulus and controlling virus spread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are literally hundreds of clips of Trump mocking, downplaying, and outright denying the reality of COVID-19 for months. Anybody who thinks he's going to get an ounce of sympathy for this besides total morons like Chris Cillizza is deluding themselves.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

exquisite tea posted:

There are literally hundreds of clips of Trump mocking, downplaying, and outright denying the reality of COVID-19 for months. Anybody who thinks he's going to get an ounce of sympathy for this besides total morons like Chris Cillizza is deluding themselves.

Every news site I've checked today, notably the extremely right-wing NYT, is playing up both Trump's continued denial of the pandemic, and specifically him saying "the pandemic is coming to an end" literally hours before he tested positive. People will not give him sympathy on this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this still good news as long as Biden doesn't get it, or do we just don't know anymore? I was feeling euphoric after the debate.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Is this still good news as long as Biden doesn't get it, or do we just don't know anymore? I was feeling euphoric after the debate.

its good news no matter what as long as biden doesn't die.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Biden is in good shape, the only comorbidity he has is being old, and he's been taking this poo poo serious the whole time. He's also not a personality cult, so being sick isn't as bad politically than if it was.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

its good news no matter what as long as biden doesn't die.

Actually, strictly strategically speaking, I think Biden dying would be neutral-to-good, especially if his death can be firmly pinned on Trump. That would only increase anti-Trump sentiment, which as we know is the main factor driving the current large Dem polling lead up and down the ballot. And Harris, while not exactly a committed leftist, is certainly more progressive than Biden.

Chinese Gordon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 2, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also "my opponent was so irresponsible he got me sick instead of taking a disease that has killed 200,000 people seriously" is an ad that writes itself, and is uh, not a good look for Donald Tromp.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My dad's more concerned that they'd delay the elections because of this.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Grouchio posted:

My dad's more concerned that they'd delay the elections because of this.

A delay is impossible without the consent of the House of Representatives, since election day is a written law. The House is not going to delay the election because Trump got hoisted by his own petard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1312044438429073408?s=19
https://twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1312060210597564417?s=19