Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Tomfoolery posted:

I did a rather nontraditional smoke:

Made some dough

Wrapped into dough-rings

Boiled in molasses water

Smoked on the BGE at 375. I think this counts as smoking?

The finished Montreal bagels. A faint flavor of smoke

Pretty good. A whole lot of work for a bagel but will probably do it again (in a year)

Smoked bagels, smoked salmon, goddammit I’m jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bluedeanie posted:

Thanks to everyone for the kamado explanationa. Gonna bite the bullet and jump on one this week, possibly even today. Expect pics in the next few weeks.

You won't regret it. I loved mine so much I bought a second one for the lake.

I did a pork shoulder recently that took 24 hours and never needed to add charcoal. It's incredible how well they hold heat. They're definitely excellent for steaks and it's nice with the Kamado Joe how you can adjust the grates to get a great sear.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Got the floor model at a pretty good discount, pending pickup tomorrow when I can borrow a suitable vehicle to get it home.

My starter grill rusted out and my starter smoker was extremely poor quality, so very happy to replace them with one thing that'll do both and last a long time.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I smoked mojo pork over pimento.

The results were delicious.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double posting with some feedback and updates.

Regarding temp stability, today my MES is in direct sunlight and about 70f out.
Target temp is 200.
The temp swings are a little larger today than before but slowly decreasing as the length of cook grows.

Note: the smoker was on/preheating for about an hour before i kicked on the fireboard.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like your temperatures are a bit off on the MES so if your goal was 200 maybe shoot for 210. you'll get waves since its' electric which means it turns on, and "overheats" then turns of until it "underheats" and turns on again. Maybe a 10 degree swing or something (not 100% sure)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Looks like your temperatures are a bit off on the MES so if your goal was 200 maybe shoot for 210. you'll get waves since its' electric which means it turns on, and "overheats" then turns of until it "underheats" and turns on again. Maybe a 10 degree swing or something (not 100% sure)

It really depends on the day and the weather, nine times out of ten it stabilizes at T°+-5.

Today was just a slow two hour run on the bacon to 150, so I wasn't too worried about the bounce.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Opened up a bag of pecan today and it all looks like this. Anyone happen to know/have thoughts on if this is salvageable or not? (B&B btw, hard to recommend now)

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of stalls-talk, Here's my 7.5lb butt from last night, which started with a rack of ribs on the side (all the yellow lid openings as I checked on them)

I would have said it was just about to come out of the stall when I ran out of fuel, although I think some people might say it came out around 1:30am or maybe even 11pm? I think it would have started climbing more rapidly around 5:30-6am though if the pit temperature had stayed up.

I foiled the butt and popped it into the oven on convection 225F and finished it off. Not gonna get any more smoke flavor wrapped in foil anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

well boys doin a brisket tomorrow night.. first one goes in at 8PM and then the smaller one goes in at 4am becuase I couldnt' find 2 of the same size that also had an okay amout of fat on them. no one around me has full packers so I have to get the trimmed ones.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

tater_salad posted:

well boys doin a brisket tomorrow night.. first one goes in at 8PM and then the smaller one goes in at 4am becuase I couldnt' find 2 of the same size that also had an okay amout of fat on them. no one around me has full packers so I have to get the trimmed ones.

How big is the smaller one? If it were me I’d rather put it on when I go to bed then just hold it in a cooler if it’s done way before the other one and you want to eat both at the same time. It’ll hold on a cooler for hours.

I’ve also got a brisket dry brining in the fridge I plan on cooking this weekend, it’s a 15 lb full packer.

Want to give a shout out to thermoworks for great customer service. Had a problem with my smoke x freezing and leaving my billows stuck on. Called them and within 15 min they said they shipped me a new smoke x and told me to keep my old one. The old one works fine when it’s not connected to a billows so now I have a nice thermometer and 2 sets of probs. Going to use the second one to see what the temp difference is on the second grate of my 22” WSM.

Anyone vacuum seal and freeze ribs and/or brisket? Do they both heat up nice? I’ve done it with chunks of pulled pork and it warms up nicely was going to try it with brisket and ribs next.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

dangling pointer posted:

Anyone vacuum seal and freeze ribs and/or brisket? Do they both heat up nice? I’ve done it with chunks of pulled pork and it warms up nicely was going to try it with brisket and ribs next.

This is my preferred way to save smoked meats. Pulled pork works out the best, but ribs and brisket works out pretty well. I use an immersion circulator to heat them back up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just make sure they're cool before packing them or the juices run right out of them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

How big is the smaller one? If it were me I’d rather put it on when I go to bed then just hold it in a cooler if it’s done way before the other one and you want to eat both at the same time. It’ll hold on a cooler for hours.

8LBS vs 4LBS.. either way I'd need to get up at 4am basically.. Put 4lb in at 8pm and pull in 8HRs at 4am and hope it holds in cooler for another 8ish ours, or just get up at 4 an shove it in and go back to sleepy times.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

dangling pointer posted:

I’ve also got a brisket dry brining in the fridge I plan on cooking this weekend, it’s a 15 lb full packer.

Want to give a shout out to thermoworks for great customer service. Had a problem with my smoke x freezing and leaving my billows stuck on. Called them and within 15 min they said they shipped me a new smoke x and told me to keep my old one. The old one works fine when it’s not connected to a billows so now I have a nice thermometer and 2 sets of probs. Going to use the second one to see what the temp difference is on the second grate of my 22” WSM.

That's good to know. Sort of a little miffed at my Smoke. Loses the connection a couple times when it is less than 50 feet away. Was rock solid when I first got it. As for the billows, what do you cook on? I'm trying to figure out the best way to start/dial in my Louisiana egg knockoff.

Made ribs last weekend. Used this recipe. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/bbq-ribs-soy-ginger-bbq-sauce-recipe

Turned out darn good. If/when I do them again I'll cut out the vinegar or halve it.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I haven’t had any problem with the remote thing unless I take it in my basement or something. If you have a problem call them, they’re really helpful and I didn’t have to sit on hold or anything forever.

I cook on a Weber Smokey mountain. Look up the minion method for getting going, that’s what I use on mine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M2tt posted:

Opened up a bag of pecan today and it all looks like this. Anyone happen to know/have thoughts on if this is salvageable or not? (B&B btw, hard to recommend now)

I take it you don't have a giant gently caress off stack of years old firewood in your yard covered by a tarp then?

You are going to burn it. If it bothers you just brush it off or even clean it with soap and water.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Why would I burn it if it's going to make my food taste like poo poo?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Won’t, I’m pretty sure. If it doesn’t smell like mildew, I wouldn’t worry about it.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's mold. It smells like mold.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's a 36" (tall) Smoke Hollow propane smoker on sale for $190: https://doodahdeals.com/products/smoke-hollow-36-propane-gas-smoker-black-3615gw - not sure if it's any good but one of the photos shows it with a full-size propane tank behind it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M2tt posted:

It's mold. It smells like mold.

Then throw it away.

Or crank your smoker up to 250 and dry it out for a bit and brush it off.

Or just use it.

It's dead wood, it gets mold on it. I guarantee you that if you inspected the wood pile at any smoke house you'd find wood with mold on it and a staff that gives no fucks about throwing it in the smoker.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Blowtorch it off if it really concerns you.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Had the Vortex on the grill so I figured I'd try smoking my turkey burgers rather than direct grilling. Highly recommended!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Last smoke of the year here in Connecticut. This is going to have to last all winter so I am cooking an entire 14 pound pork belly into burnt ends, 6 beef ribs and a brisket. My winter stock will look like this:

7 pounds pulled pork
4 racks pork ribs
7ish pounds pork burnt ends
6 beef ribs
6ish pounds of brisket

It won't be enough. I will be unapologetically bombing this thread with photos.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

Last smoke of the year here in Connecticut. This is going to have to last all winter so I am cooking an entire 14 pound pork belly into burnt ends, 6 beef ribs and a brisket. My winter stock will look like this:

7 pounds pulled pork
4 racks pork ribs
7ish pounds pork burnt ends
6 beef ribs
6ish pounds of brisket

It won't be enough. I will be unapologetically bombing this thread with photos.

smoke in the winter too, a lil' -10°F shouldn’t stand in the way of the lard

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ixo posted:

smoke in the winter too, a lil' -10°F shouldn’t stand in the way of the lard

I've tried using it in the winter. Tried to make ribs and they came out way underdone even after 8 hours. Unless I make a little smokehouse for it, I'm not going to try that again.

Pork is done smoking, now to render until jello.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

um excuse me posted:

I've tried using it in the winter. Tried to make ribs and they came out way underdone even after 8 hours. Unless I make a little smokehouse for it, I'm not going to try that again.

Pork is done smoking, now to render until jello.

What are you smoking with? I used to live in MA and between my Horizon offset and my WSM I could smoke all year.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
22" WSM.

Sneak peak of brisket and ribs

Edit: few of the ribs are done, just crutched the brisket

I've finally gotten to a point in smoking where I don't need to obsess over temps. My smoker does what it wants and as long as I'm under 50 degrees of where I want to be I'm happy. So I left the WSM alone and just put stuff on/took stuff off for the first time and let it do it's thing

I don't have a longer history than that because my probe sucks. But it's been this way all day.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 4, 2020

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Man I love short ribs. Once they come off that smoker it's like meat lollipops

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Did a brisket today. It went well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzs4aTEMZXs

WSM smoker with a small amount of green hickory for flavor. Coarse salt and pepper rub

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My brisket just hit 203 and I go to bed in an hour lol.

Edit: it's in the cooler now. Not going to cut it, gonna dip it to 120°F. 20° below recommended, but it's going straight in the fridge and I don't want to burn it out.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 5, 2020

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My local Kroger has brisket flats on sale for $1.99 a pound so I grabbed a 12 pounder. Right now it's just my wife and I so after trimming it out would it be better to cut it in half and freeze part of it or should I smoke the whole thing and then freeze it? If I cut it in half, should I go length-wise or width-wise?

Also, please give me any other helpful hints or thoughts. It's my first brisket so I don't want to mess it up too bad.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 5, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check out how to separate the point and the flat, since it's not just directly in half.

I'd smoke both and freeze the leftovers to use in chili something. My only real reason is that if I'm going to do an 18 hour smoke, I want to smoke as much as I can. You could certainly do another 18 hour smoke at a later time.

The point will be a lot more tender than the flat.

The Bible. Don't worry about getting it all perfect the first few smokes. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

10 Beers only has the flat though. But agreeing with smoke the whole thing and freeze to use or enjoy later.

Depending on how trimmed that flat is, you might be able to eat the rest as leftovers before it goes bad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

10 Beers only has the flat though. But agreeing with smoke the whole thing and freeze to use or enjoy later.

Depending on how trimmed that flat is, you might be able to eat the rest as leftovers before it goes bad.

I totally missed that, thank you.

A 12 pound flat!?!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Which wifi/bluetooth multiple probe thermometer should I get in the $100-150 range?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Internet Explorer posted:

I totally missed that, thank you.

A 12 pound flat!?!

https://imgur.com/gallery/jodyXcD

This is what I got.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

That sure looks like a whole packer to me, just labelled as a flat.

On a side note, drat that's a beautiful price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's a whole packer. Enjoy your steal. I've got some beef short ribs smoking right now and I'm still jealous.

Just remember, start way earlier then you think. I start mine at like 8pm or 10pm the night before for a 6pm dinner. It sucks to be hungry because you haven't eaten anything in anticipation of wonderful brisket only to be stuck in "okay 30 more minutes" for 4 hours. Happens to everyone.