Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Remember when I said that the bottom was about to fall out of his campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No no Trump don't die too fast we gotta let this ride for awhile!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I mean, the bottom may be falling out of his respiratory system too so

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

No no Trump don't die too fast we gotta let this ride for awhile!!

he has to survive to lose and stand trial in new York with his kids

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

goethe.cx posted:

it'd be tough to prove that you contracted covid at that particular location as opposed to somewhere else, but i suppose it's not impossible

yeah but that is a "well i guess we'll just have to go through a year of intensive discovery, now won't we?" factual question to be proved at trial instead of a thing where the lawyer gets the case bounced out of court with some well-written papers

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I bet that will become very evident in the polls henceforth.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Maybe I'm just drawing a blank but I can't remember seeing SV News before today.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IBD has always been Trump friendly. They had him winning the popular vote by 2 in their final 2016 poll lol. So of course they brag about getting the race “right.”

is the ibd there investors business daily, of "if stephen hawking were british he'd have been left to die by the state" fame?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1312139187999571970

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

From the ICU to the oval office is not a great campaign slogan, lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Possibly something worse going on, but not yet anticipating "Trump will be held in state as a precautionary measure"

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

why is this in the polls thread?

edit; lmao I have ignored USPOL for so long I didn't see it get shut down?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Asema posted:

why is this in the polls thread?

edit; lmao I have ignored USPOL for so long I didn't see it get shut down?

Summer USPOL is dead, Fall one is open.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Very mild. Just some tests. /s

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

it'd be tough to prove that you contracted covid at that particular location as opposed to somewhere else, but i suppose it's not impossible

Evilweasel would know more, but I thought that in some jurisdictions if you could demonstrate that if someone was e.g. 60% likely to be at fault, you could collect 60% of the damages. I wonder if that would apply here.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

Summer USPOL is dead, Fall one is open.

to be fair I didn't even see this thread renamed to "The News" so at this point where do I go to just talk about numbers

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Asema posted:

to be fair I didn't even see this thread renamed to "The News" so at this point where do I go to just talk about numbers

The CSPAM economy thread, but thats about Number.

But yeah this thread is mostly for what you want, you just will get a scattering of other stuff because breaking news like that definitely has an impact on polls.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I mean in terms of electoral change this is uh not a good development for Ol Trump. I think we’re going to see the bottom fall out on his campaign and the conversation will shift to the Senate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I mean his campaign might literally be over. What can he physically do if he’s laid up for the next 3-4 weeks?

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

This is still the numbers thread. I also think it's fair enough to post about the President being hospitalised 'for tests' - in the same way that Boris was hospitalised 'for tests' - in the context of how it'll affect the race.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

I mean in terms of electoral change this is uh not a good development for Ol Trump. I think we’re going to see the bottom fall out on his campaign and the conversation will shift to the Senate

And that's going to be a hell of a conversation, given we're looking at how many Senators might be exposed to COVID-19, much less where they stand in polling.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

if he's going to the hospital today there is not a world where he is back on the campaign trail in 2 weeks. and the election is 4 weeks today. him going to silent for the last month of the campaign along with daily stories about how he's sick and how badly they mangled coronavirus and his own response is good night on Trump.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
It's been what - 17 hours since the release of the positive test news? And in that short time we've had:

* positive test, high spirits, quarantine, no biggie!
* Mild symptoms! No problem - fundraiser going virtual instead!
* low-grade fever, fatigue! Fundraiser cancelled but MAGA!
* whoopsie, just having a little hospital run here

He's in much worse shape than they're letting on. I'd say he's doing a Herman Cain speedrun, but that would be an awful thing to say, so I'll do what Trump would have wanted instead and say that MANY PEOPLE are saying that.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Sarcastro posted:

It's been what - 17 hours since the release of the positive test news? And in that short time we've had:

He's in much worse shape than they're letting on.

I think it's fairly obvious that he's been positive for much longer than they've been letting on.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Chinese Gordon posted:

I think it's fairly obvious that he's been positive for much longer than they've been letting on.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if it's as far back as the debate, given what Chris Wallace just said about the family showing up too late to undergo the testing. (edit: just realized I'm in the wrong thread by accident - back to USPOL)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

if he's going to the hospital today there is not a world where he is back on the campaign trail in 2 weeks. and the election is 4 weeks today. him going to silent for the last month of the campaign along with daily stories about how he's sick and how badly they mangled coronavirus and his own response is good night on Trump.

Their strategy was to take the focus off COVID and welp.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chinese Gordon posted:

Yeah I was confused at first about how fast things were moving given that I thought it took like a week for symptoms to really set in, but of course just because he tested positive last night doesn't mean he caught it close to then.

I guess the VP debate takes on new significance if Pence is suddenly a bad cough away from the top chair - although that also makes it much harder for him to meaningfully win the debate IMO. If he's the VP then all he has to do is lie his rear end off convincingly enough to stop Harris from landing a killing blow, but if people are going to start thinking about him as The President then you would think he'd need to articulate a much clearer identity than he ever has.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Donald Trump dying will be awful for his poll numbers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cant cook creole bream posted:

the shy trump voters will love it though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Chinese Gordon posted:

Given the sheer number of people around him who've got it this year, it's rather amazing that he only just caught it recently. Even if he didn't get it from the love of the troops via Hope.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I guess the VP debate takes on new significance if Pence is suddenly a bad cough away from the top chair - although that also makes it much harder for him to meaningfully win the debate IMO. If he's the VP then all he has to do is lie his rear end off convincingly enough to stop Harris from landing a killing blow, but if people are going to start thinking about him as The President then you would think he'd need to articulate a much clearer identity than he ever has.

In the event Trump bites it Pence's only shot is to cast himself as the true heir to Trump's legacy. Even if he did actually possess more charisma than a particularly homophobic plank of wood, any attempt to distance or differentiate himself will cause at least some of the base to stay home in disgust and without them Pence loses badly. I don't see him doing anything other than hugging Trump's bloated corpse as close as possible.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think the Senate race would benefit for R's, because they'd see Biden as illegitimate and rush to the polls IMO

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VikingofRock posted:

Evilweasel would know more, but I thought that in some jurisdictions if you could demonstrate that if someone was e.g. 60% likely to be at fault, you could collect 60% of the damages. I wonder if that would apply here.

That's a different issue. If you get injured but it is partially due to your own negligence (but mostly due to mine), the old rule was you were hosed. The new rule is that damages get reduced by the amount that you were responsible for the injury (as long as it's less than 50%).

This is "can you prove you got the virus from donald trump instead of from the subway to the debate" where the standard is "preponderance of the evidence" - i.e. more than 50% likely it's his fault - but it's hard to eliminate every other avenue you could have gotten it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

That's a different issue. If you get injured but it is partially due to your own negligence (but mostly due to mine), the old rule was you were hosed. The new rule is that damages get reduced by the amount that you were responsible for the injury (as long as it's less than 50%).

This is "can you prove you got the virus from donald trump instead of from the subway to the debate" where the standard is "preponderance of the evidence" - i.e. more than 50% likely it's his fault - but it's hard to eliminate every other avenue you could have gotten it.

you can also apportion liability between joint tortfeasors, but it's hard to see how that would work in this case. donald trump is 60% liable and the debates commission is 40% liable? i don't know how you'd show something like that

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

smoobles posted:

I think the Senate race would benefit for R's, because they'd see Biden as illegitimate and rush to the polls IMO

Removing him from the ticket would absolutely help out the Republicans because the desperate people chain calling Hell to make a Faustian deal will loose their motivation.

Pence still probably doesn't win, but chances of Biden loving it up rise steeply.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

smoobles posted:

Doubtful. A lot of R Senate votes this election are going to come from people who are voting primarily for Trump and then just go on to tick all the R names on the ballot (or vote straight-ticket if that's an option). If Trump dies, a good chunk of his hardcore supporters are going to be discouraged as hell and not even know that they can technically still vote for him, which is going to hurt all the other R names they would have picked.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sarcastro posted:

He's in much worse shape than they're letting on. I'd say he's doing a Herman Cain speedrun, but that would be an awful thing to say, so I'll do what Trump would have wanted instead and say that MANY PEOPLE are saying that.

You missed, "Administered massive dose of experimental drug cocktail, pretty standard really"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
From the beginning I thought, what but a pandemic could take some of the steam out of his rallies? I forgot he could get it himself. Almost assumed he had.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pick posted:

From the beginning I thought, what but a pandemic could take some of the steam out of his rallies? I forgot he could get it himself. Almost assumed he had.

The prevailing theory was that he was asymptomatic or somehow immune because we don't think bad things can happen to Donald Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

You missed, "Administered massive dose of experimental drug cocktail, pretty standard really"

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if all the medically dubious meds he keeps insisting that he's taking just happen to have a familiar Flintstone shape.