Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*laughing sicko voice* yes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
There's also the Jesta pilot from Narrative and I think some video game protagonist that were pilots at the Axis Shock. It's like Star Wars poo poo where everyone at the Catina was either a super spy, war criminal, or both.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

bring back yazan

At some point in the distant future they will animate that Return of Johnny Ridden manga. Yazan is in that working for the Federation.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Wasn't one of the Axis Shock Jegans "canonically" piloted by the Blue Destiny protagonist?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

At some point in the distant future they will animate that Return of Johnny Ridden manga. Yazan is in that working for the Federation.

Yep.

He's mellowed a bit, too. He's still Yazan, but he's gone through some serious crap and understands that killing people for money is a privilege, not a right.

(I love the scene where he's talking with the captain of the ship he's on. Yazan says he used to be with some idealists, obviously trying to imply he was with the AEUG, and the Captain goes "Yeah, everyone knows you're Yazan Gable. It's not a big deal. Just be up front about it.")

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I guess I should read that Johnny Ridden manga.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's kinda funny that both Cyber Newtypes and cloning Newtypes are both not only very effective technologies but also clearly rather cheap and yet the Federation* never bothers with either branch

*not counting the Titans

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Alaya-Vijnana system is definitely approaching the functional combat purpose of Newtype powers from the opposite direction. The thing with psycommu tech in the UC is that it's a perversion of humanity's developing, supernatural capacity for empathy, making machines enough like humans that Newtypes can form an empathic connection with them (and use them to kill people for the military-industrial complex), with the most extreme examples being hive-minded swarms of attack drones piloted by people driven totally insane by experiencing all the pain and suffering of every combatant on the battlefield. The Alaya-Vijnana System, by contrast, makes people like machines, turning pilots themselves into disposable weapon components, with the most developed integration creating bizarre, monstrous cortical homunculi piloted by hollowed-out living corpses. It is a mark of society's denial of empathy for its pilots, turning them into hideous beasts to be used and then slain.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drrockso20 posted:

It's kinda funny that both Cyber Newtypes and cloning Newtypes are both not only very effective technologies but also clearly rather cheap and yet the Federation* never bothers with either branch

*not counting the Titans

Because both of those things are pretty horrendously evil, and the Federation generally - with some exceptions - isn't horrendously evil, just apathetic and corrupt.

Making a cyber newtype involves cutting someone open and loving with their brain in a way that involves massive debilitating side effects and psychosis. The clones aren't much better off, given that they still seem to require enhancements; we have Puru 2 and Marida as our examples, and both of them are classed as cyber newtypes(with all of the accompanying side effects) rather than newtypes despite being cloned from a newtype.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 2, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The Alaya-Vijnana system is definitely approaching the functional combat purpose of Newtype powers from the opposite direction. The thing with psycommu tech in the UC is that it's a perversion of humanity's developing, supernatural capacity for empathy, making machines enough like humans that Newtypes can form an empathic connection with them (and use them to kill people for the military-industrial complex), with the most extreme examples being hive-minded swarms of attack drones piloted by people driven totally insane by experiencing all the pain and suffering of every combatant on the battlefield. The Alaya-Vijnana System, by contrast, makes people like machines, turning pilots themselves into disposable weapon components, with the most developed integration creating bizarre, monstrous cortical homunculi piloted by hollowed-out living corpses. It is a mark of society's denial of empathy for its pilots, turning them into hideous beasts to be used and then slain.

Ironically, the most extreme example in season 2 is the product of empathy. Ein's brain in a jar is kept in service because it's all Gaelio can do for his friend, with their history together heavily influencing how Gaelio interacts with Isurugi and Julieta.

It's almost the reverse of a traditional Newtype arc, where dehumanizing technology forces people to understand the humanity of their opponents.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Might as well ask you guys - has anyone here played G Generation Cross Rays? I've seen it described as Disgaea but with Gundams in terms of being a "grind for its own sake" kind of game and that sounds extremely up my alley.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Sounds about right to me. I had fun with it for a couple of weeks and then never felt like booting it up again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azran posted:

Might as well ask you guys - has anyone here played G Generation Cross Rays? I've seen it described as Disgaea but with Gundams in terms of being a "grind for its own sake" kind of game and that sounds extremely up my alley.

Super Robot Wars thread in Games has you covered. There is some discussion of it there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azran posted:

I've put in some hours, yeah.

It's fun in a grindy way. The plot is just the plots from all the shows and tie in manga presented in text boxes, so the main fun is in grinding up units and sending out pilots in unusual Mobile Suits, like giving Atra the Regnant Mobile Armor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

I've put in some hours, yeah.

It's fun in a grindy way. The plot is just the plots from all the shows and tie in manga presented in text boxes, so the main fun is in grinding up units and sending out pilots in unusual Mobile Suits, like giving Atra the Regnant Mobile Armor.

Of note, it's a great way to get the plots of series that don't have good, easily accessible translations, like the 00F side stories or IBO Gekko.

The game itself is definitely a "numbers get big" simulator, but if you like mashing robot action figures with your pilots of choice together it's really good at that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It also exists for PC, which is basically my criteria for playing a game these days.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Azran posted:

Yep. The game is fun for doing stupid, 'mistakes were made' scenarios, like from my own game having Flay in the Kimaris Vidar carting around Eins's brain or sticking S2 Nena in the Turn X. On the other end of the spectrum I stuck Gym in the Noble Gundam for a while when leveling him, didn't take to the field though.

If you want the cliffs notes version of Wing, SeeD, 00, IBO and some of their spinoffs its a good game. If you want strategic depth, probably not.

Alos, learn about the in mission quest screen. Pausing the game there will be a button prompt to bring up all the quests you can complete on a given stage, which is very useful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Yep. The game is fun for doing stupid, 'mistakes were made' scenarios, like from my own game having Flay in the Kimaris Vidar carting around Eins's brain or sticking S2 Nena in the Turn X. On the other end of the spectrum I stuck Gym in the Noble Gundam for a while when leveling him, didn't take to the field though.

If you want the cliffs notes version of Wing, SeeD, 00, IBO and some of their spinoffs its a good game. If you want strategic depth, probably not.

Alos, learn about the in mission quest screen. Pausing the game there will be a button prompt to bring up all the quests you can complete on a given stage, which is very useful.

If you've ever wanted to war crime better than the war criminals in the various AUs, GGCR offers tons of opportunity to do it. Give Stella the Alaya-Vijnana and stick her in the Epyon with an AV interface.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That said do keep in mind Cross Rays in specific has the gimmick of not having any UC series. if you want a broader series list (though without anything past very early AGE) you'd be better off emulating Overworld for the PSP.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Endorph posted:

That said do keep in mind Cross Rays in specific has the gimmick of not having any UC series. if you want a broader series list (though without anything past very early AGE) you'd be better off emulating Overworld for the PSP.

Oh I don't mind it. In terms of aesthetics, a lot of the Gundam SEED mobile suits are basically identical. :v: That said, it's a really weird omission - is there any particular reason for it?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The previous game Genesis was only UC, from OYW all the way to Unicorn in the base game, so Cross Rays was only AU stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cross rays is also lacking x, g, age, g-reco, and turn-a (though those two are uc in a sense). they're all in the dlc but the dlc only adds a select few suits/pilots and is just menu stat checks, not actual levels. so if you only care about the master gundam and loran you're fine, but if you wanted to use the airmaster and woolf, you're out of luck. and ofc either way you've gotta pay for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

random q, but is there a place that has the return of johnny ridden in better quality than mangadex? the second scan group's tls are decent but the art still has a jpg artifacty vibe which is a shame when the faces are so good

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Gym yells "there is no such thing as too far in G-Gen!" and "Ah, the God Gundam is truly the older brother of the Shining!" and then cackles about how fun the God Finger is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

Gym yells "there is no such thing as too far in G-Gen!" and "Ah, the God Gundam is truly the older brother of the Shining!" and then cackles about how fun the God Finger is.
In overworld almost everyone in the game has a unique line for using shining/god finger. And Patrick has a line about wanting to do the love love attack with the colonel.

Sadly I don't think the love love attack is in overworld.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

In overworld almost everyone in the game has a unique line for using shining/god finger. And Patrick has a line about wanting to do the love love attack with the colonel.

Just about everyone still has unique lines in G-Generation, including some referencing G Gundam's power of love finale.

(Meanwhile, Mikazuki Augus continues to be the least hot blooded Gundam Pilot.)

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

Sadly I don't think the love love attack is in overworld.

It is but you need Rain in the Rising and Domon in the God to do it, its a special cutscene attack that requires you to use each of the Gundam's ultimate attacks to do it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Just about everyone still has unique lines in G-Generation, including some referencing G Gundam's power of love finale.

I do love that one of the most terrifying moments in IBO is when Mika slightly raises his voice during a fight.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

"I guess it's kinda like having a tail?" as he rips dudes in half.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Azee has a quote related to the Build Knuckle, since she's got the same VA as Reiji. Sadly she didn't seem that into the Star Build Strike, but I may be misremembering.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I do love that one of the most terrifying moments in IBO is when Mika slightly raises his voice during a fight.

I adore the scene when he rescues atra and finds her injured. He leans up to go murder every other human in a three block radius and she has to stop him with a hand on his arm.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there a way to watch Island Wars in English aside from buying the disc? Also same question for Stargazer.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Island Wars sometimes shows up on the official YouTube channel rotation, some times.

Not sure about Stargazer.

EDIT: Double not-sure about dub options.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lock Knight posted:

Island Wars sometimes shows up on the official YouTube channel rotation, some times.

Not sure about Stargazer.

EDIT: Double not-sure about dub options.

I don’t think Stargazer ever got an official release in English.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caros posted:

I adore the scene when he rescues atra and finds her injured. He leans up to go murder every other human in a three block radius and she has to stop him with a hand on his arm.

Mika's quick cooldown on murder makes him even more distinctive. Hair trigger tempers are common enough in anime. Eren Yeager or Kamille Bidan can get to "I WILL KILL EVERYONE HERE" quickly enough given a reason (and Atra being tortured is the sort of scene to provoke even relatively level-headed types).

But with Mikazuki, he can go back to ground state in seconds. It makes every scene he's in more disconcerting, since there's very little difference between Mika's default and Mika murdering people in cold blood.

There's a scene with Hush, Mika, and Atra early in season 2 that covers it. Hush looks like he might hit Atra. Instantly, Mika grabs Hush's arm and almost snaps it.

Then Atra says that Hush wasn't threatening her. (And that she doesn't get bullied.) Mika lets go, then apologizes. (Technically apologizes, at least).

Mika's great.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXS_lbU2TU

y'all iron blooded orphans is so good

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

"That was close, you jerk!" -proceeds to tear Hashmal a new everything-

Or in the final fight where he lets the shackles off Barbatos one last time. You see him grinning and licking his lips and suddenly you realize that's not really Mika any more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXS_lbU2TU

y'all iron blooded orphans is so good

Yep.

Wasn't that much news last night, though. VAs talked about their time with the show and made a cake, there were some nice performances of the music, but new details were thin on the ground.

Still, we got the first gameplay video for the phone game (turn based, with a campaign for the anime in addition to the whole Venus tourism plot), and they announced that there's going to be a metal build Bael. Not much, but it's something.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

Though i think some spinoff manga says that guy was ex-titans so gently caress that guy actually

If the Titans dude in the Dakar episode was any indication, there were definitely some members who weren’t “in” on the fact that the Titans were evil. Hell, Bunch 30 doesn’t even seem like public information for real (and Yazan and Gadi sandbagged the other gassing attempts).

Bylarant dude stayed with the federation on Earth I think when the split happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah considering how big space is and how spotty communications are in UC by science fiction standards it's actually relatively plausible that most of the really bad stuff the Titans were doing was being done by and/or known about by a relatively small fraction of the organization