Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

It’s also terrible because it completely throws a wrench in the narrative they’ve been pushing that aggressively minimized Covid. We go from “covid’s over, everything’s normal” one day to “president in hospital from covid” the next. You can’t argue the president has done a good job with covid when he himself is loving hospitalized by it

I mean this feels the bigger thing than him being out of commission. Most of the stuff Biden's been doing other than the debate has barley been mentioned by the media. Trump being out for a bit isn't the worst, it's that the reason he's out is literally just from his own stupidity. It's really hard to get around that, and as long as he's in hospital it's going to be really hard for the trump campaign to get the media to talk about anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Delthalaz posted:

It’s also terrible because it completely throws a wrench in the narrative they’ve been pushing that aggressively minimized Covid. We go from “covid’s over, everything’s normal” one day to “president in hospital from covid” the next. You can’t argue the president has done a good job with covid when he himself is loving hospitalized by it

I think this is huge. I live in one of the least affected states, it's been very responsible about things, especially in the smaller cities things do look fairly normal. This is a big loving reminder that things have not come back to normal at all, and the pandemic is absolutely not over.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's hard for me to believe that THIS TIME people are like, what a rude bitch, when in 2016 they applauded what felt like the exact same behavior. So while I didnt think Trump won the debate I did generally agree that it would be at least a tie for the average voter even if the sound bites were much worse this time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
From a campaign standpoint 'covid outbreak cluster in the campaign staff, the candidate, and his key congressional supporters' is basically a worst possible worst case scenario with 4 weeks left to attempt to claw his way back from a deficit.

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's hard for me to believe that THIS TIME people are like, what a rude bitch, when in 2016 they applauded what felt like the exact same behavior. So while I didnt think Trump won the debate I did generally agree that it would be at least a tie for the average voter even if the sound bites were much worse this time

Eh even the GOP has been calling it a historically bad debate performance. Just the aggressiveness would've been not great on it's own, but the proud boy stuff really was as bad as you can get. For how loud they are online, the alt-right are extremely, hugely unpopular.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

:lol: one of these polls again that MAGA is pushing to distract from polls that came out today

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1312771713319436288?s=20

The best part is that's still a 2 point swing to Biden from their last poll.

Also if Trump doesn't retweet that it's safe to say he's comatose.

Chinese Gordon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Chad Jihad posted:

2016 was so different. Trump was cocksure and aloof. This time he was corned-dog psycho.

Also check out Jason Miller on meet the press! They still are mocking Biden for mask use! :psyduck:

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
If Trump loses straight up on Election Night, my headcanon is a large group of people singing “Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye” outside the White House for several hours.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

that poll also corrects for 'shy trump voters', btw

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

It looked like it claimed 77% of responders don't admit they're Trump supporters to their friends or whatever, so does it just adjust the poll results by that and claim that's the "real" number?

That's also ridiculous that nearly 4 in 5 maga chuds don't admit it to other people. I mean, have you SEEN Trump supporters?!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol that this dumb country still rates any Republican higher on "the economy" given their track record of huge collapses and tax cuts for the rich

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Well obviously. It's a garbage unrated pollster whose sole purpose is to churn out bullshit polls to muddy the waters in an even more obviously fraudulent way than Zogby/Rasmussen. The point is that even *they* don't show a sympathy bump for Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

brugroffil posted:

Lol that this dumb country still rates any Republican higher on "the economy" given their track record of huge collapses and tax cuts for the rich

Republicans always come into office with a healthy economy and thus get credit for it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I will not hope, I will not hope, I will not hope...

this business with Trump getting covid also brings covid in general back into the headlines, where it has rightfully belonged for the last eight months

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We're also climbing again on cases and hospitalization, lol

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

None of the debates in 2016 were anywhere near as nuts as this one was. No one would have been talking about Trump 'looming' because he wouldn't have time to loom with all the motor mouth he had going on.

Like if you haven't seen it, I don't recommend you do so; but it really was that bad.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The Curb Your Enthusiasm theme has been running nonstop in my head since Friday

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Barring trump making GBS threads himself onstage, is there any likely benefit to Biden having more debates? It seems like the damage from the debate was serious enough that any chance to appear “normal” is a benefit for trump.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Given that Trump performed terribly and knowingly exposed a presidential candidate to a deadly virus, that's probably an easy out for Biden.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Zachack posted:

Barring trump making GBS threads himself onstage, is there any likely benefit to Biden having more debates? It seems like the damage from the debate was serious enough that any chance to appear “normal” is a benefit for trump.

the next debate was supposed to be a town hall, so the image of trump yelling at random voters would probably further sink him - and we know he'd do that, because he did it as his last town hall. but on the whole, probably not much more to be gained.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There’s no way Trump will be able to go out and do things in under two weeks.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the next debate was supposed to be a town hall, so the image of trump yelling at random voters would probably further sink him - and we know he'd do that, because he did it as his last town hall. but on the whole, probably not much more to be gained.

Symptomatic or not, the imagery of Trump presumably spreading viruses in a room full of voters would not play well for his polls, I think. His campaign would do well to cancel. Biden's has no reason to make the first move.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

one of the weirder things about trump is that theres no evidence he has ever used a computer

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Just imagined Trump gasping in an Oxygen mask like Imortan Joe in between shouting at random voters

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

one of the weirder things about trump is that theres no evidence he has ever used a computer

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

https://twitter.com/jonathantamari/status/1312794342713634818?s=21

This bodes well for a easy pickup senate seat in 2022 for Dems if we are even marginally competitive (which granted, is far from certain in a midterm under a Biden admin).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zachack posted:

The main advantage would be to eliminate any concern that voters forget about the first debate in the next month. It has been a consistent theme through his presidency that he can do something monumentally unpopular and if he shuts up for a month people forget and his numbers revert.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The main advantage would be to eliminate any concern that voters forget about the first debate in the next month. It has been a consistent theme through his presidency that he can do something monumentally unpopular and if he shuts up for a month people forget and his numbers revert.

But people are voting right now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, but they're also going to be voting three weeks from now.

I think that given where Biden is, not rocking the boat is the safest course of action - trump has to make up a huge amount of ground and just denying him the chance to do it is the best move - but there is a real advantage to keeping Trump's worst aspects in public view.

That said, it also risks erasing the first debate - even if Trump turns in 99% as awful a job you could see a lot of stories about his improvement, so I'd probably lean towards trying to avoid another debate while not being obvious about it.

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

The Chad Jihad posted:

Sample size of two Democrats (well, one registered Dem and one registered Independent), but in a conversation I had with my mom the other day, she noted that there's a difference in that now he is the President, and one would expect a President to be more, well, presidential. Four years ago, he could pass as Your Nutso Uncle Jimmy Who Has Some Thoughts On How He Would Run The Country with that outsider appeal and not turn off too many voters; now he is The President, and this is how you act?!

(For context: she is an MSNBC-watching Liberal Boomer in Maryland, and I am a Maryland-born Liberal Xer in Wisconsin who both voted straight-ticket blue last time)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

He's looking at it like it's going to bite his finger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I recall, this weekend is one of the major early voting weekends.

Sep 26, 2020

LegendaryFrog posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathantamari/status/1312794342713634818?s=21

This bodes well for a easy pickup senate seat in 2022 for Dems if we are even marginally competitive (which granted, is far from certain in a midterm under a Biden admin).

would be shocked but he's a massive do-nothing. for a state the size of pennsylvania, the senators are sure low-profile. i wonder who the GOP has planned or if fetterman will try to run for it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pick posted:

If I recall, this weekend is one of the major early voting weekends.

Do any states do early voting on Sunday?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

evilweasel posted:

I think that given where Biden is, not rocking the boat is the safest course of action.

Seriously at the moment all the media is about trump and him being poo poo. All Biden needs to do is every so often poke his head up to show he's not sick and let his campaign and allies do the rest. If your opponent is self destructing, like just let them.
You know, couple of ad's here and there. Couple of interviews, but it's pretty clear what the election is about at the moment and there is no reason, at the moment, he should stick his head up to change that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
e: probably definitely the wrong thread for such musings

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

I mean, phones are computers and he seems to be using one daily for more hours than I do, despite working IT.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/1312803416935194624?s=20

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

He looks like he's trying to find the "any" key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'm worried now that it's increasingly hopeless that POTUS will win electorally, that his CHUDdier supporters will try to shoot their way to victory. I'm sorry but the last few years have made hope terrifying.