Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

HOLY gently caress posted:

Insurrection and Nemesis have congealed into one movie that I can’t remember. I’m guessing I shouldn’t bother rewatching them? :haw:

I’m on Season 7 of my DS9 rewatch and I like Ezri a lot more now than I did the first time. But holy poo poo why would you stay on DS9, the whole “avoid reconnecting with people from your previous hosts’ lives” thing seems like really good advice, especially when your joining just happened. I know it was down to terry leaving and other behind the scenes stuff and I’m just yelling into the void but yikes the awkwardness would be unbearable :gonk: like why not just introduce a different character? Idk

Edit: i just saw that someone who posted earlier may be watching ds9 for the first time so spoilered just in case
Pragmatically, it could be because of the Dax host Ezri is well acquainted with the general operation of DS9 and the Federation desperately needs warm bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would definitely not recommending skipping stuff in DS9, especially after the first season. There are plot threads that come up throughout the series that begin early.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh my god this whole loving movie I’ve been waiting for Ron Perlman to show up and didn’t realize that was him. What the gently caress

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Unmature posted:

Oh my god this whole loving movie I’ve been waiting for Ron Perlman to show up and didn’t realize that was him. What the gently caress

Star Trek: Get big, popular names and then give them unrecognizable makeup jobs and a poo poo written part

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey let's get Idris Elba and then wrap him in latex and point the camera at everything else but him and maybe don't let him talk too much

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Man, the TOS episode Metamorphosis is so lovely. Lots of sexism, nobody is acting logically, a dumb concept overall and after the effectively nameless female character has had her personality rewritten, has to stay on an alien planet as a fucktoy for Zefram Cochrane and abandon her vital mission to single-handedly prevent a war... The trio draw attention to the plot hole and literally laugh about it saying they are sure they can find some other woman to do the job.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

LT. COMMANDER DATA -- He is an android who has the appearance of a
man in his mid 30's. Data should have exotic features and can be
anyone of the following racial groups: Asian, American Indian,
East Indian, South American Indian or similar racial groups

I have just the guy!

It is interesting though that they had planned the Geordi/Data friendship so early. I seem to recall it developing over several seasons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

thotsky posted:

Man, the TOS episode Metamorphosis is so lovely. Lots of sexism, nobody is acting logically, a dumb concept overall and after the effectively nameless female character has had her personality rewritten, has to stay on an alien planet as a fucktoy for Zefram Cochrane and abandon her vital mission to single-handedly prevent a war... The trio draw attention to the plot hole and literally laugh about it saying they are sure they can find some other woman to do the job.
Yeah the female lead gets poo poo on the entire time

A major problem with that episode is that not a lot really happens. And what does happen is mostly bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Astroman posted:

I have just the guy!

It is interesting though that they had planned the Geordi/Data friendship so early. I seem to recall it developing over several seasons.

Data ends up friends with everyone but Pulaski

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is Super Bullshit 64. If you can put up with the camp of TNG S1-2 or the dull beige of TNG S6-7 then you've got time for DS9's first two seasons, which tell some good loving stories.

I loved The Circle three-parter because it gave a rare sighting of Bajoran culture that wasn’t a monastery or a dirt farm.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Data ends up friends with everyone but Pulaski

I can't blame him. She's one of those people that tells you you're not pronouncing your name right.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

thotsky posted:

In the original script, the woman would have died and the energy being would have only taken over her body afterwards. Which is still pretty hosed up, but somehow less hosed up than what they went with.

(They had to change it because the network felt a resurrection would be 'blasphemous'.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Subject to change but now that I’ve seen all ten real Star Trek films I think this is my ranking:

I
II
IV
VIII
VI
V
III
X
VII
IX

I also like a lot of them but believe I and II are the only truly good films in the entire franchise

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 5, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Unmature posted:

Subject to change but now that I’ve seen all ten real Star Trek films I think this is my ranking:

I
II
IV
VIII
VI
V
III
X
VII
IX

Imagine somehow ranking Generations below Nemesis. :wtc:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine somehow ranking Generations below Nemesis. :wtc:

Nemesis sucks but Genesis was truly offensive on many levels

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Where is Galaxy Quest on this list?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

raverrn posted:

Where is Galaxy Quest on this list?

Third

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

thotsky posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the female lead gets poo poo on the entire time

A major problem with that episode is that not a lot really happens. And what does happen is mostly bad.

It's hilarious that space Betty Anderson is so appalling and unpleasant Kirk & Co. have no problem leaving her behind.
Even better, Starfleet accepts the explanation because they couldn't stand her either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just watched the TOS Season 3 episode where Kirk loved an android too hard and that caused it to die

I guess this is a variant of the 'Kirk logics a computer to death' trope of this series

Which leads into my review of TOS- Requiem for Methuselah

This is really not a good episode for Kirk. He for some reason loses his mind over this woman that he just met (who turns out to be an android) and comes to blows with a 6000 year old man over her. The problem of her deciding who to stay with is resolved by her just dying from too much emotion. Which is very convenient. Then you have Spock doing a mind-meld at the very end of the episode as the credits roll to make Kirk forget about the woman since he was so despondent over her death. At no point did Kirk consent to this, which is really not a good look for Spock.

Once again there isn't much story here....the reason the Enterprise ends up on the planet is because of a virus that is going to kill the crew within less than a day, but that plot ends up taking a backseat to the story of the 6000 year old man and his androids. Flint is pretty much uninterested in humanity through the entire episode and immediately assumes that Kirk is hostile, but apparently he changes his mind about this off-screen at the very end and is now apparently working to 'benefit humanity'. That and he's also dying all of a sudden which isn't even relevant to the episode and is just said off-hand at the very end. According to some interviews, the episode heavily takes from both the Shakespeare story 'The Tempest' and the modern film adaptation 'Forbidden Planet'.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 5, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Finally watched Insurrection with the commentary on last night, and what's amazing is that there's so little going on in this movie that you feel like you don't really need the film's dialogue track to begin with. Also not helping its negative comparisons to TNG two-parters is that it looks like it was filmed for TV, and it has the kiss of death for TNG, Picard love life bullshit. I had also forgotten the infamous joystick scene. Data regresses as a character to the point that he's learning life lessons from children again. It's baffling how they consistently made the worst choices here.

As far as the commentary, it's pretty good and makes the movie more enjoyable, and I would not recommend anyone watch it any other way. It's also fairly clear from the commentary that Frakes doesn't like Piller's script or Rick Berman at all.

The obligatory companion piece to Insurrection is "Fade In: The Writing of Star Trek Insurrection" by Michael Piller, which in detail explains how and why all those decisions were made

It went unreleased for a long time because of how unflattering it was to the whole process so it should be easily available floating around online as a downloadable PDF, there was an eventual print release but I'm not sure if that one is still obtainable.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Note that, having also been written by Michael Piller, Fade In is also bad. :c00l:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seemlar posted:

The obligatory companion piece to Insurrection is "Fade In: The Writing of Star Trek Insurrection" by Michael Piller, which in detail explains how and why all those decisions were made

It went unreleased for a long time because of how unflattering it was to the whole process so it should be easily available floating around online as a downloadable PDF, there was an eventual print release but I'm not sure if that one is still obtainable.

It was never officially released. A fansite, maybe TrekCore, published the manuscript online, having received it through channels and believing that it was kosher, but took it down very quickly after Paramount went after them. Piller's widow has said that while the book was unfinished and Piller never wanted it to see the light of day, she'd like to see it in print.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 5, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Unmature posted:

Nemesis sucks but Genesis was truly offensive on many levels

I feel like it's the opposite: Generations is lovable but incompetent, while Nemesis is basically a pretty competent film but does zero justice (or probably negative) to the characters or franchise. Someone who never watched any Star Trek in their life would probably prefer Nemesis, so from that perspective it could be considered better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like it's the opposite: Generations is lovable but incompetent, while Nemesis is basically a pretty competent film but does zero justice (or probably negative) to the characters or franchise. Someone who never watched any Star Trek in their life would probably prefer Nemesis, so from that perspective it could be considered better.
Nemesis makes a lot of sense when you know that the director knew absolutely nothing about Trek

I also agree with your assessment of Generations. In my opinion, they should have just made it a TNG only film because it’s much more of a Picard story than Kirk’s. I get that they try and tie the two together but Kirk is only at the very beginning and the very end. Honestly, TUC was the actual good ending for the TOS crew and it should have been their last appearance in a film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

D'aww :3:

https://twitter.com/TrondyNewman/status/1312274028053356549?s=20

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Heh, it was kinda telling that in the most recent podcast a group of 4 black women talking about race in Trek didn't bring up Travis even once.

(Actually, I didn't finish the episode yet, so there's still time in the final minutes!)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nemesis makes a lot of sense when you know that the director knew absolutely nothing about Trek

I also agree with your assessment of Generations. In my opinion, they should have just made it a TNG only film because it’s much more of a Picard story than Kirk’s. I get that they try and tie the two together but Kirk is only at the very beginning and the very end. Honestly, TUC was the actual good ending for the TOS crew and it should have been their last appearance in a film.

No because Nemesis makes no sense as a story, Trek or not.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Do you think the rest of the engineering crew gets mad when their Chief Engineer bails to bridge every time there is trouble? "Computer, engineering transfer to bridge, the rest of the people down there are really boring."

Nowhere better for the guy in charge of fixing the stuff to be than a turbolift ride away. The turbolifts never break down.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Alchenar posted:

No because Nemesis makes no sense as a story, Trek or not.

Okay but we're comparing it to Generations here...

A lot of movies don't really make sense but some hide it better than others.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Generations should have had something to do with the Romulans.

Insurrection should have been a TNG Dominion War movie.

First Contact should have had the DS9 cast.

Nemesis shouldn't have been made.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sash! posted:

Generations should have had something to do with the Romulans.

Insurrection should have been a TNG Dominion War movie.

First Contact should have had the DS9 cast.

Nemesis shouldn't have been made.
1. Agreed

2. Also good idea

3. Nah, I think it’s fine as-is

4. Correct.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

They should have made a My Dinner With Andre type of movie but with Sisko and Picard.

No, they do not patch things up, that is not the type of movie I am making :mad:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

First Contact but with the Enterprise-D (after it doesnt get blown up in Generations -- let it get blown up in First Contact instead) + adding in Sisko and O'Brien.

The "Jean Luc blow up the drat ship!" scene was already powerful enough, now picture Avery Brooks delivering the line.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sisko showing Picard that he's come to terms with the death of his wife would have been a good foil for Picard's Ahabery.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

piratepilates posted:

They should have made a My Dinner With Andre type of movie but with Sisko and Picard.

No, they do not patch things up, that is not the type of movie I am making :mad:

Only if it ends with a fight between Q and the Prophets.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just watched the TOS Season 3 episode where Kirk loved an android too hard and that caused it to die

I guess this is a variant of the 'Kirk logics a computer to death' trope of this series

Which leads into my review of TOS- Requiem for Methuselah

This is really not a good episode for Kirk. He for some reason loses his mind over this woman that he just met (who turns out to be an android) and comes to blows with a 6000 year old man over her. The problem of her deciding who to stay with is resolved by her just dying from too much emotion. Which is very convenient. Then you have Spock doing a mind-meld at the very end of the episode as the credits roll to make Kirk forget about the woman since he was so despondent over her death. At no point did Kirk consent to this, which is really not a good look for Spock.

Once again there isn't much story here....the reason the Enterprise ends up on the planet is because of a virus that is going to kill the crew within less than a day, but that plot ends up taking a backseat to the story of the 6000 year old man and his androids. Flint is pretty much uninterested in humanity through the entire episode and immediately assumes that Kirk is hostile, but apparently he changes his mind about this off-screen at the very end and is now apparently working to 'benefit humanity'. That and he's also dying all of a sudden which isn't even relevant to the episode and is just said off-hand at the very end. According to some interviews, the episode heavily takes from both the Shakespeare story 'The Tempest' and the modern film adaptation 'Forbidden Planet'.

One particularly bad piece of writing in this episode is Kirk practically demanding that Rayna (the android, for those who haven't seen the episode) choose him over Flint. One or two scenes later, he's speaking approvingly of how Rayna has the freedom to choose for herself.

I thought that the "Forget" scene at the end of the episode was poignant but wasted. It's hard for me to believe that Kirk would have been this upset over an android woman he had spent all of a few hours with. I wish they had done that scene at the end of "The City on the Edge of Forever" instead, where it would have been much more appropriate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Only if it ends with a fight between Q and the Prophets.

But All good things was such a perfect end to the Q story arc.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

That didn't stop him from showing up in DS9 and Voyager.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That didn't stop him from showing up in DS9 and Voyager.

As much of a joy Delancie is, those episodes weren't good, nor did they employ his talents well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Allow me to re-recommend the book Q-Squared. You can get it on EBay for dirt cheap or even better, listen to the audiobook read by John de Lancie on Hoopla