Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I feel like this would make a pretty good gang tag, but asking people to take a creamed meats. challenge seems way crueler than making mayonnaise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Data Graham posted:

Sometimes I feel like certain culinary cultures would have died out forever if not for the invention of the deep fat fryer

Western cultures wouldn't give a poo poo about Asian stuff without it. God bless hot fat.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Absolutely no british food is photogenic.

Also I feel like I don't ever see anybody other than the british incorporating peas into their dishes for some reason.

The banging Sunday roast I cooked a few weeks ago with beef, redcurrant gravy, roast potatoes, broccoli, green beans and yorkshire puddings with sticky toffee pudding for dessert would hard disagree with you

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

The banging Sunday roast I cooked a few weeks ago with beef, redcurrant gravy, roast potatoes, broccoli, green beans and yorkshire puddings with sticky toffee pudding for dessert would hard disagree with you

Yet there are no photos.

:thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

I feel like this would make a pretty good gang tag, but asking people to take a creamed meats. challenge seems way crueler than making mayonnaise.

I really like potted meat, but the only place I can get it is miles away and I don't even know if it's open with the covid.

I probably could make it myself if I had a spare roast lying around but that's bloody expensive at the moment.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LifeSunDeath posted:

when he gets to smoke MRE ciggs it's great. he quit cigarettes otherwise so when he does get one, and it's 70 years old, he's in heaven.

I gotta go through my history and find a link, but there's one episode where he opens a canister of (probably WW2?) old rear end cigarettes, but they'd gone bad

so he opens up a can of circa 1870 British navy issue cigarettes ($600) and they are pristine

I haven't smoked a cig in like 8 years but watching that video gave me such a craving

I want to smoke the forbidden ancient grains leafs

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I gotta go through my history and find a link, but there's one episode where he opens a canister of (probably WW2?) old rear end cigarettes, but they'd gone bad

so he opens up a can of circa 1870 British navy issue cigarettes ($600) and they are pristine

I haven't smoked a cig in like 8 years but watching that video gave me such a craving

I want to smoke the forbidden ancient grains leafs

Same, I haven't smoked in years and I know that vibe, I can only imagine the ancient tobacco aroma, must be wonderful.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dog nougat posted:

It's been a long time since I was in the army/had an MRE, but beef stew was always a solid choice. It was basically like dinty Moore beef stew, but yeah decidedly more glorpy.
I didn't serve in the military, so I thought what made MREs taste good was that the previous 6 hours were spent marching with a 40 pound pack on your back.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

I didn't serve in the military, so I thought what made MREs taste good was that the previous 6 hours were spent marching with a 40 pound pack on your back.

That might've been part of it to be sure. I was on tanks, so didn't have to lug poo poo around, plus you could bring a camping stove and poo poo to make them better. Like take the beefsteakand put it in with some Ramen made it serviceable. Some were certainly better than others. Chicken tetrazinni was probably the worst/last picked from the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-j3SNDfxY

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some MREs are pretty good. I had bought a bunch for an earthquake kit when I lived in an active zone and ate em all before I left. They're not gourmet food or anything but they aren't repulsive like PLA rations.

The youtube dudes seem to think Japanese rations are generally the best but I've never been willing to pay that much to try one.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Remember Simply Sarah's Wanda's Macaroni Salad? While searching for that video to send to my brother (who overheard someone in a restaurant ask what a macaroni salad was... keep in mind that was in the midwest where everyone should be familiar with that) I found this video of someone actually making and trying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UukWs94BPCM

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

CannonFodder posted:

The meals are on the same level as like a prepackaged "just throw it in the microwave" instant meal (depending on your country, they could literally be one) while the side stuff is just like mundane food like crackers and peanut butter. They're not cuisine, but they're fine. I sometimes take them for an all day or overnight hike if I can get them cheap, though real backpackers will (correctly) point out that they have a lot of avoidable water weight.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Me and my friends in middle school used to have Cold War era MREs suring sleepovers, not old given this was the late 80s. They were usually not bad, but we were dumbass kids at the time so who knows.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Oct 4, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, wouldn't have expected there to be a cure for it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, wouldn't have expected there to be a cure for it.

"Dr. Stoner, can I get your results for the experiments on our cultures?"

*swallowing yogurt* "Oh... uh... they're... creamy?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WTF is this? As best I can guess it is a mixture of refried beans with tomatoes, peppers, corn, clams, and despair.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

WTF is this? As best I can guess it is a mixture of refried beans with tomatoes, peppers, corn, clams, and despair.

it's clam tacos

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can't you read

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Poopelyse posted:

it's clam tacos

Data Graham posted:

Can't you read

:negative:

I walked right into that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't think anybody cross-posted this yet, but it does fit here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still don't get "raw cheese" like, my dude, that's just cheese, raw cheese is the milk you're drinking.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Imagine the mouth sounds that come from that dude just gnawing on a piece of raw beef for 5 minutes at a time.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Imagine the smells constantly effusing from that man's colon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

I still don't get "raw cheese" like, my dude, that's just cheese, raw cheese is the milk you're drinking.

You have to be a level seven moron to understand

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Resting Lich Face posted:

Imagine the smells constantly effusing from that man's colon.

someone dug into his blog posts where he talks about his extremely irregular digestive functionality, but you can click back through the quote if you want to know

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Raw just means unpasteurized for dairy products.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's really asking to get some kind of food poisoning or parasite at some point. I think I've read some stuff about how nutritionally, we get more out of cooked food than raw, but you can make up for that with just more food. I can't really get my brain around just dealing with the slimy texture of just biting straight into uncooked meat though.

Also unpasteurized food goes bad faster if you care at all about the logistics of your meals. But generally the point of weird diets is to be as inconvenient as possible.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's really asking to get some kind of food poisoning or parasite at some point. I think I've read some stuff about how nutritionally, we get more out of cooked food than raw, but you can make up for that with just more food. I can't really get my brain around just dealing with the slimy texture of just biting straight into uncooked meat though.

Also unpasteurized food goes bad faster if you care at all about the logistics of your meals. But generally the point of weird diets is to be as inconvenient as possible.

I think most of it is the naturalistic fallacy given a weaponized cuilinary form.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cured meat is very nice so I get the appeal, just seems weird to be obsessed with raw meat and "raw cheese" when cheese is basically cured milk solid.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As mentioned above it's just cheese made with unpasteurized milk.
It's usually called raw milk cheese though, not raw cheese

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
How does he even have teeth left after a diet of presumably leg muscle and no crunchy vegs?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CannonFodder posted:

Also as someone who didn't serve, I had heard that MREs were terrible and the joke was that MRE stood for "Meal, Rarely Edible." I had basically chalked it up to the fact that soldiers were probably eating them day in and day out and were just sick of them, because I had always liked them whenever I got my hands on them. Then again my family had a box of them in the 90's and we definitely had a bunch of those freeze dried fruit bars that MRE Steve gushes over.

I've considered getting a box for my emergency kits, but they only have a listed shelf-life of 5 years. I did end up getting a couple 7 day (4 serving) kits of freeze dried food because it has a 25 year shelf-life so I can just stuff them under the sink and in my car's trunk and forget about it until I need it.

Hell, I might still get a box of MREs, because they do look delicious at times.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MREs are engineered for a very specific use case, and they're never going to be the lightest, cheapest, or most delicious emergency rations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For me growing up the MRE joke was "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians" which ... ok it's just terrible but also extremely evocative in the 80s/90s (And OF the 80s/90s come to think of it)

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Whooping Crabs posted:

Pizzaleberkase

Are those pineapple chunks? We will never know.

Cool, chunks of processed meat product in my processed meat product.

HOW DEEP DOES THIS GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
Speaking from experience the newer British MREs are the best
Beans and sausage were the highlight of many an evening, and if you got the ultra rare blueberry turnover then you were officially in command