Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh? What a nice treat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/dreamboum/status/1285866605197643778?s=20

Tangentially related

Prowler
May 24, 2004

That's really cool! Didn't know he was active on Twitter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God, I just picked up reading this again because it updated and I'd left off on the army popping in after Vyce's dad dies. This is WORLD stuff is so interesting! It being DLC certainly makes sense after it's all said and done but man, I wish this game had been streamlined and ported around like FF7 and RE4 keep getting for free.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

God, I just picked up reading this again because it updated and I'd left off on the army popping in after Vyce's dad dies. This is WORLD stuff is so interesting! It being DLC certainly makes sense after it's all said and done but man, I wish this game had been streamlined and ported around like FF7 and RE4 keep getting for free.

The WORLD stuff itself was not DLC. It's the post game stuff (e.g. the search for Warren) that is the DLC, but it was included in the NA release. So, technically, none of this is DLC.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I didn't think for a moment that this would be a thing, but there is a PSP-to-HDMI adapter out there, but it's awfully expensive. I just thought that I would mention it if anyone was interested.

I wish that they had one for (3)DS as well.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

No for real this time. 48 hours or less. I'm encoding gifs. This hard drive will not be corrupted. My kids let me type on the computer now without "helping".

And of course, stand by for the obligatory Knight of Lodis tie ins.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Good man

I was going to drop you a PM but thought you might have stuff on the go so decided against it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

waah posted:

No for real this time. 48 hours or less. I'm encoding gifs. This hard drive will not be corrupted. My kids let me type on the computer now without "helping".

:sickos:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Bless you crazy man

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

waah posted:

:doit:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Secondary full disclosure: I wanted to point out that I have been working on this for at least longer than the last few days because uhhh viewed through the lens of current events (which I am pretty sure I even mention "current events" in the update), this update sure is uhhhh something.

And I really don't want the FBI / Angry followers / bad faith interpretors to pay me a visit. But I also don't wanna go back on my artistic visions. So yeah. It's gonna be something.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

Secondary full disclosure: I wanted to point out that I have been working on this for at least longer than the last few days because uhhh viewed through the lens of current events (which I am pretty sure I even mention "current events" in the update), this update sure is uhhhh something.

And I really don't want the FBI / Angry followers / bad faith interpretors to pay me a visit. But I also don't wanna go back on my artistic visions. So yeah. It's gonna be something.

I'd like to think that this thread is niche enough to avoid scrutiny by wankers, but if you need to make any reference to highly contagious diseases, say, replace them with the euphemism "Backstreet Boys Reunion Tour" if you feel the need.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

World – Episode 22 - You Gave Me Power In Your Own God’s Name

So last time we were here… let’s be honest we all have no idea what happened last update because it’s been a while. It’s some personal stuff that has to be put into the final update of this thing one day, but that’s for another day.

Where in the WORLD is Don Quixote?

We’re currently in the San Bronsa Ruins, in the law route. This part of the game can be accomplished at any point from CODA 2 until after the CODA 4. It has no effect on the overall emotional story we talked about 2 updates or so ago.

We had gotten a good way through the Tower of Law eternal, the first portion of the San Bronsa dungeon. Now let’s finish off as much as we can in this update before your eyes gloss over from an abundance of words and images.

Remember Vepahl? She was the one who tipped us off on how to create a divine knight, and the boss from floor 3 who we wrecked real quick.

She’s still here and her Tigers of Burnham are pretty pissed at us.

In the original version of this post I had a much more in-depth discussion of the religion of the Ogre Battle universe, as per one of our previous posts. I’ll see what I can fill in here but here we see Vepahl talking about the Great Father Philaha. For lack of better context, he’s more of a Zeus or Odin in this mythology. He’s the originator, but a majority of the people in the Ogre Battle universe a polytheistic religion. If you are familiar with Greek mythology, this is equivalent to a very vengeful soul beseeching the gods for a weapon or power to smite their enemies. The track record of this ending happily for all parties involved is uhh… yeah.

Here you see Vepahl using the power given to her by Philaha to turn these two skeletons back into normal human beings.

Something that bothers me here, and that makes it so much more satisfying in about 2 minutes when we go and smash Vepahl’s face in, is this talk of a miracle. In my country, talk of a miracle by televangelists and con men are common. Often, they involve lies and deceit in order to separate truly desperate and destitute people from what little cash they have left. The "miracle" happens on stage, with people who are "miraculously" cured, but are really just people in on the whole scam. But of course, the truly needy, the truly desperate never make it on to the stage. They are the ones touching the wall in the back, hoping that somehow, some way they get noticed.

As you see these souls being brought back to life think of it through this lens. We’ve ruined the hopes and dreams of all who would wave the flag of the Tigers of Burnham. They truly hate us, and that desperation makes them ripe to fall for any “miracle” they perceive, be it real or performative.

Even the name here, “Partisan Warrior” is absolutely perfect. This is a nameless, faceless person who’s really about to be on the wrong end of pointy sticks. To us, we view her and think, “How could you be so stupid to fall for this. Don’t you see how hard you’re being played?” To her, this is the greatest moment of her life. The flood of emotions she’s feeling drown out any possible rational thinking. This woman, this Vepahl has given the partisan warrior everything she’s dreamed of over the last few years in just a few short minutes. This is what creates unwavering loyalty that’s fit to be abused by those in power.

This partisan warrior is the poor family in the back of the mega church, who the cameras won’t show because their clothes are too dirty, their faces too unattractive for the cameras and slick televised services. This is the manifestation of their wildest dreams.

This is what keeps them giving up what little they have, even when it’s obvious the cleric in charge is spending all of their money on yachts, and trips, and cars.

If you’re paying attention, Tactics Ogre is telling you this story right here in this dungeon of that same type of desperation and dreams. The same story of a people in need of a "miracle" and willing to suspend critical thinking, in order to both receive the miracle and wish for suffering for their "enemies". As is the case in this series, and what is reinforced by the WORLD system, Tactics Ogre is telling you that very rarely is there is no “right” or “wrong.” Everything exists in a shade of grey in a bloody civil war. Tactics Ogre is asking you do you oppose your enemy because of something they did, or because someone else told you to?

In this is the exact moment that unwavering loyalty that I mentioned earlier, is created. There is nothing Don Quixote could do to reason with these partisan warriors. The noxious mix of religion, resentment, despair, hope, and fear has ruined many, both in game and in the real world. While there isn’t a way to reverse death in real life, the “miracle” doesn’t need to be as extreme as this.

Coincidences make great miracles if you’re willing to lie.

I do find it weird that “this” is the promise land. If I take what Vepahl is saying literally, then the San Bronsa ruins are the promised land. Which would actually cause less of a conflict because the followers would be content to stay in the promised land. It’d also mean that all of the blood shed in this section is truly our fault as we’re bothering people that would be happy just staying here in their promised land.

Luckily we know that Vepahl intended to raise an army and then come and kill us, so whew, Tactics Ogre moral quandry #2,857 avoided.

Aaaaand Don Quioxte is clueless and ruins an intense moment of introspection. Sometimes it feels like Don Quixote is the equivalent of a Joss Whedon bathos moment.

If you aren’t seeing these words and taking note of how similar some of these phrases are to current affairs then…

It’s time to:

Yeah. It’s nothing special about this fight. Open terrain, our over-leveled army… it ends as quickly as you expect. Anytime Canopus is that close to the boss and the boss starts speaking, you can guess what happened.

Yeah, we’re still not done with her yet.

Another straight forward floor. These floors are gonna start becoming few and far between in about 5 fights.

:frogsiren: Story battle!!!! :frogsiren:

This bit before the battle is one of the biggest reasons I wanted to make sure I had gifs for this update. The sprite animations here are top notch and are doing some major story telling work with non verbal cues.

The thing about being a religious zealot is that if you’re wrong (and the probability of being right isn’t very good), things go belly up at an amazing speed.

Well, I guess the dragons did what we couldn’t. One thing I absolutely love about this sequence that you really get to appreciate by looking at the gifs is how the angelic being never actually moves. There's so much movement in all the other sprites, but the fact that he never moves a bit is just a great artistic touch to really drive home the fact that this is an otherworldly being.

: Ah, angelic being. Tell us what you wish for us to know. Sorry about that whole blasphemy thing, but you know, you understand right?

: Wat?

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think this guy was kinda pissed at us.

Yeah this is not going to end with puppies and rainbows is it? When someone’s monologue sounds a bit too close to the one the final boss says in a previous game in a series….

Yep. You see where this is going. Welp, time to get this fight sta-

Now it’s official, she’s not making it back for the sequel.

This. Is. A. Scene. Oh my God, I love this part. The whole way it’s setup, the execution, how it just switches who your enemies are. It’s perfect.

YESSSSSSS! I mean if you’re gonna have an angry angel and he or she doesn’t have lines like this, why are you even a writer?

Are we sure Don Quixote didn’t take too many swords to the head on our journey? I swear he’s getting dumber each update. Before we slaughter all of these new delightful enemies and palette swaps, lets get a quick look at them.

I find it funny that they didn’t give the Phoenixes divine magic and the ability to revive, but it probably would have made the rest San Bronsa just miserable.

These are the Ethereal visions we’ve talked about so much in thread. They are pretty formidable warriors, and when you do the San Bronsa dungeon without the benefit of being over-levelled, they will absolutely push your army to it’s limits.

And I really hope you weren’t dumb enough to bring a bunch of undead units to the “I’m really not the light temple I swear.” Ethereal visions aren’t here for your crap.

Crystal dragons are just divine dragons that have the ability to use healing magic. No, you can’t recruit them. A curious thing is that they have lava walk. None of the San Bronsa maps have lava, so I wonder if there was more planned for these units.

As for the actual battle:

Even our death machines have to bring out the big guns from here on out.

Not that it stops us from winning of course.

The maps from here on out are going to get a lot more vertical and/or hazardous. Some of the maps are just amazing designs. The best thing about San Bronsa is that the developers really just got to have fun making these maps, and as a result they start to get extremely challenging and really require you to have a good mix of units.

It’s not much to say about this fight. However, I’m a sucker for all of these flavor texts. Just thought you all would like to see them.

As for ol’ Vepahl:

Moving on!

So this map is –
: Waah, my dude, how are you still talking?
: Excuse me? We just finished up the Tower of Law Eternal. It’s time now to talk about the Floating Ruins!
: Yeah, yeah, that’s great. But you’re rapidly approaching that 2000 word mark that makes your readers get glassy eyed and pass out from overload.
: But there’s so much cool stuff! Like more cool maps, and cool use of color, some straight up evil maps, some straight up huge maps, and rare drops and, hey! HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!?!?!?! WARREN WHY ARE YOU PUTTING ME INTO A PORTAL!!!!!
: Ha ha Waah! The day is mine! Now, I’ve got to ask you all about the Penis Mightier.
: Yep, that’s a wrap on the day.
: Why did we devote a whole chapter to that dirty old man?
: We should have left his rear end in the Palace of the Dead.

Next update (before the world faces an extinction level event I SWEAR!): We make it all the way to the top of the San Bronsa dungeon only to find….

No really, I can’t wait to show off some of these maps coming up.

From there on out, we’ll actually go into the rather substantial ending that we have yet to go through at the rather emotional ending of CODA 4. Then a few more loose ends to tie up before we put a bow on this thing. Thanks for staying with the slowest possible post game SSLP of Tactics Ogre (It also might be the only one because everyone else is smart enough to just do it in video).

(Knight of Lodis final battle screenshots from Felipe Nascimento’s video https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQkl1m-fKwV1_BmQUfwimw)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'm not gonna lie, i unironically love this line.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

waah posted:

Even the name here, “Partisan Warrior” is absolutely perfect. This is a nameless, faceless person who’s really about to be on the wrong end of pointy sticks. To us, we view her and think, “How could you be so stupid to fall for this. Don’t you see how hard you’re being played?” To her, this is the greatest moment of her life. The flood of emotions she’s feeling drown out any possible rational thinking. This woman, this Vepahl has given the partisan warrior everything she’s dreamed of over the last few years in just a few short minutes. This is what creates unwavering loyalty that’s fit to be abused by those in power.

Partisans are good, actually

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Partisans are also a type of spear. Like pikes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to see if this was a typo:

quote:

but a majority of the people in the Ogre Battle universe a polytheistic religion

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I never thought partisan chat would get so much attention for uhh the various definitions.

And RareAcumen, you definitely speak like someone who has played way too many JRPGs. For the longest time when I heard the word partisan, my first thought was about playing Phantasy Star Universe.

Then the late 2010s went and broke everything good and wholesome.

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to see if this was a typo:

Yeah. I gotta go back and fix that. You can tell the last minute, 1 AM rewrites.

Edit: Also I have one request for the rest of the thread.

Whoever page snipes from here on out can you throw this image in your post. It's all I ask.

If you don't know how to embed images on the forums we can help ya out.

waah fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 5, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
San Bronsa rules. You have the Palace of the Dead, with Nybeth and various lesser bosses running around looking for dark magicks and such, and now you have the divine zealot version. I also like that the Warren Report calls out Vepahl for seeking the Apocrypha, which, you know, ended badly for the last non-Don Quixote person to try that.

Also the maps are very cool to look at and also very challenging, especially if you're trying to get all the rare drops... :smithicide:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've honestly thought about buying a PSP-to-HDMI adapter just to play this on my flatscreen. I *love*, properly love, the visuals in this game.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Honestly at this point, I'd say you're better off just hooking up a decently specc'd laptop or PC to a TV, downloading a copy of PPSSPP, buying a 8bitdo controller, and doing it that way.

The quality of life adjustments you can make via PPSSPP, with cheats and things like turning off the crafting animation really make it the superior way to play if you aren't playing on a portable device.

Buy a digital copy of Tactics Ogre on the PSN store to support the devs or something but until Square puts this on steam, an emulator is the way to go.

As an added bonus you can then play some classics that never left the PSP like Crisis Core which is really fun and good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, PPSSPP is the way to go at this point. It's so much smoother than OG hardware.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

Honestly at this point, I'd say you're better off just hooking up a decently specc'd laptop or PC to a TV, downloading a copy of PPSSPP, buying a 8bitdo controller, and doing it that way.

The quality of life adjustments you can make via PPSSPP, with cheats and things like turning off the crafting animation really make it the superior way to play if you aren't playing on a portable device.

Buy a digital copy of Tactics Ogre on the PSN store to support the devs or something but until Square puts this on steam, an emulator is the way to go.

As an added bonus you can then play some classics that never left the PSP like Crisis Core which is really fun and good.

These are literally all the reasons that I have not done so yet; that and the One Vision mod.

The PSP is an ergonomic nightmare for my huge hands, but it has had some fine games. The two others that leap out at me are the Mega Man 1 remake and the Mega Man X remake as well as two good GTA games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

waah posted:

I never thought partisan chat would get so much attention for uhh the various definitions.

And RareAcumen, you definitely speak like someone who has played way too many JRPGs. For the longest time when I heard the word partisan, my first thought was about playing Phantasy Star Universe.

Then the late 2010s went and broke everything good and wholesome.

That and read a lot of the Redwall series. :v: I'm sure that came up somewhere in one of those books. Or maybe one of the Eragon books.

I'll be honest, you admitted that it's been a while, I totally forgot all the capabilities in this series, is turning undead back into people not a normal ability? I know that exorcising them and wiping them from existence is a thing but I dunno about anything beyond that. It seemed impressive to me so I cant figure out the scan angle beyond doing this to a bunch of undead because that's definitely a way to make a loyal army if it works.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

RareAcumen posted:

That and read a lot of the Redwall series. :v: I'm sure that came up somewhere in one of those books. Or maybe one of the Eragon books.

I'll be honest, you admitted that it's been a while, I totally forgot all the capabilities in this series, is turning undead back into people not a normal ability? I know that exorcising them and wiping them from existence is a thing but I dunno about anything beyond that. It seemed impressive to me so I cant figure out the scan angle beyond doing this to a bunch of undead because that's definitely a way to make a loyal army if it works.

It's possible for the player to do as well. But it requires rare drops, and a lot of patience.

Just as in the palace of the dead you can change a living unit into a skeleton, in San Bronsa (and on that floor iirc, I should probably mention that in the update) you can change a skeleton back into a living unit instead of a divine knight.

The scam angle is based on the fact that it requires rare materials to transform skeletons and undead back to life, and even Nybeth was unable to do so. If you go back to his story lines and the side quest, you see how much trouble he had and how pissed the subjects were when they were brought back to life, but as a zombie. Based on all the sheer implied difficulty of what Vepahl is doing for these four individuals, I can't imagine this is something that the random private gets done for them.

Yet, the rumors of being able to bring back loved ones from the dead or even to bring back the wandering tormented souls would be enough to bring an endless stream of recruits. Make it so that you have to "prove" yourself or reach a certain rank (read: pay a ton of money) and you can hide the fact that you can't fix everyone, yet still command a legion of loyal cultists.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RareAcumen posted:

My understanding is that from a ~lore~ perspective, it's locked to places and rituals.

You wouldn't be able to create a Lich at the San Bronsa ruins, but you could resurrect someone from death.

You need not just the ritual (and all the associated research and magical material that's required) but a specific place of power.

waah posted:

I'm personally waiting for the release of 1.0 of One Vision mod, before I pick this game up again.

Last I heard it was getting close and chapters 1-4 had all been rebalanced for the mod, so it's just post game now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

I'm personally waiting for the release of 1.0 of One Vision mod, before I pick this game up again.

Same. My only complaint with OV is that I think that death is now too punitive.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

San Bronsa didn't exist in the original--pretty much only the Palace of the Dead (Hell Gate) did, along with very minor versions of the elemental shrines.

You got the "retissue" spell there which would revive a skeleton/ghost, no matter its level, as a level 1 soldier/amazon.

So you could take a level 30 skeleton, revive it, and have a level 1 unit with level 30 stats. And then level it up to 30 and repeat. Given a few cycles of this you'd end up with a unit with 999 in all stats that could just wipe out an entire map before anything moved.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Ethereal Visions are just weird. They are implied to be fake in some way (especially given that we have seen Yushis in Black Queen and she couldn't act more different), but it's really not made clear.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 6, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id like it if the theology of the game either remained unclear or revealed to be utterly indifferent to the world.
Fits the tone much better that way.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Unfortunately, that really wouldn't work given what happens in March of the Black Queen. They would have to retcon a lot for it to happen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FairGame posted:

San Bronsa didn't exist in the original--pretty much only the Palace of the Dead (Hell Gate) did, along with very minor versions of the elemental shrines.

You got the "retissue" spell there which would revive a skeleton/ghost, no matter its level, as a level 1 soldier/amazon.

So you could take a level 30 skeleton, revive it, and have a level 1 unit with level 30 stats. And then level it up to 30 and repeat. Given a few cycles of this you'd end up with a unit with 999 in all stats that could just wipe out an entire map before anything moved.

Yeah animate+retissue was really fun. See also: using Snapdragon to turn characters in to weapons with stats based on the character's stats, so you could give max stat god tier weapons to unique characters since animate+retissue still counted them as dead and reanimated generics for story ending purposes IIRC. You also had the Warrior gear that dropped randomly in POTD and gave +1 luck to a character when they leveled (and it was +1 per piece) so even just using those to get a regular character to maxxed out luck resulted in them landing a ton of critical hits/dodges and mad them significantly more powerful as a result.

I think San Bronsa is mentioned in the original but only ever in a historic context. It's been awhile since I played the PSX version though.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Id like it if the theology of the game either remained unclear or revealed to be utterly indifferent to the world.

I always liked that MOTBQ established the demonic/divine/ogre elements of the setting weren't just buried and forgotten or mythological. Tactics Ogre actually tones it down a bit since in MOTBQ you have characters like the dragoons and Galf.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Like Evil Fluffy said, Tactics Ogre really tones it down compared to other games released in the saga, save Prince of Zenobia which I can't find much info on other than it's a prequel to the SNES game.

Lodis is essentially a church state, so it's tough to really extract the religion from that.

Knight of Lodis is really heavy into the theology aspect (which you've seen as I've either talked about off update, or spliced in).

Ogre Battle 64 is in this weird spot where the theology matters but it's in a really weird spot. Like there are angels and demons, and demonic powers, but at the end of the day it's more about what seems to have a forbidden gay romance at the center driving things. It's really weird some of the story beats and tones from that game with the benefit of life experience.

Lastly though, keep in mind that unless you've poured over almost all the content in the Ogre Battle universe that spans roughly 4 console generations, 5 games, 8 years (about 15 if you count the remake as a separate game), questionable translations, and various developer interviews, you won't see the full picture of the theology of Ogre Battle. And even then, parts are about as clear as mud, and dependent on circumstantial evidence.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a whole lot to keep track of, yeah.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/JRPGBook/status/1313583172232318980?s=20

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

waah posted:

It's possible for the player to do as well. But it requires rare drops, and a lot of patience.

Just as in the palace of the dead you can change a living unit into a skeleton, in San Bronsa (and on that floor iirc, I should probably mention that in the update) you can change a skeleton back into a living unit instead of a divine knight.

The scam angle is based on the fact that it requires rare materials to transform skeletons and undead back to life, and even Nybeth was unable to do so. If you go back to his story lines and the side quest, you see how much trouble he had and how pissed the subjects were when they were brought back to life, but as a zombie. Based on all the sheer implied difficulty of what Vepahl is doing for these four individuals, I can't imagine this is something that the random private gets done for them.

Yet, the rumors of being able to bring back loved ones from the dead or even to bring back the wandering tormented souls would be enough to bring an endless stream of recruits. Make it so that you have to "prove" yourself or reach a certain rank (read: pay a ton of money) and you can hide the fact that you can't fix everyone, yet still command a legion of loyal cultists.

Ohhhh ohhh ohh. I didn't even think about it like that. Use the fact that you can do it at all and space showcasing that ability out enough that no one disbelives or thinks it's just exaggerated to get an army. I was locked in on the reviving them from undead angle being a scam that I didn't even think about that. Gotcha, I get it now.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Ohhhh ohhh ohh. I didn't even think about it like that. Use the fact that you can do it at all and space showcasing that ability out enough that no one disbelives or thinks it's just exaggerated to get an army. I was locked in on the reviving them from undead angle being a scam that I didn't even think about that. Gotcha, I get it now.

Yeah, same, and I even suggest editing the update to make this more angle more obvious.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You guys are reading too much into it. The Tigers of Burnham are guerrillas who, because the CODA assumes you did the Law path, think Denam is a murderer and usurper. They're right on the first count (he killed 5000 people to create racial unrest, lest we forget), and assume the second based on the first, which is an entirely rational position. They are supposed to be ironic in that they supported Brantyn, who was an actual usurper, though this fact is not well known in general.

The reason the warriors are called "Partisan" is because they legitimately believe that Denam is ruling Valeria, and they think they are overthrowing an illegitimate ruler. Vepahl actually believes what she is saying, and doesn't grasp the fact that the Divine Knights she is making are not actually angels. Her first statement as she's about to die is not the statement of someone who is intentionally scamming people. The reincarnations you see her doing are actually the first ones she's done, and she doesn't understand what she's actually messing with until she is dying and hears the speech of the Ethereal Vision.

That's why the Ethereal Vision warns Denam in his speech that the Divine Knights' creation is "artifice," that is to say, fake. He does it because it's really not obvious and humans really should not be trying to do that stuff.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I like this too. I am gonna edit in some of the discussion from these last comments into the update in the next day or so.

I disagree a bit more about the use of artifice a bit though. Mainly because I can see the point you are making the Warren Report for Vepahl that is updated after she becomes dragon food.

(In full disclosure, I disagree with you even less after re-reading that entry in the Warren Report).

IIRC the she finds two of the three "wonderous powers" and we see them used. She was looking for the third still and never got it.

I view the artifice comment as the ethereal vision trying to throw them off from finding something that both humans shouldn't use, and would be dangerous to whoever the visions are serving - be it Ishtar or Philaha.

The final boss of Knight of Lodis never calls his creator anything other than "God" from what I remember. So we can't use that to solve the mystery.

There isn't anything special about the ethereal vision that is talking since he doesn't shift stone out, and has no death line.

What it does mean is that I guess I need to just do a seperate supplemental update to Monday's update because this is good discussion and I appreciate it.

Also I'm pretty sure in the original version of this update I wrote months ago I had a bit in there about this not being Vepahl's time she shows up in the story. I could be hallucinating though, so if you want to get ahead of the flashback and look for yourself, I believe Brantyn briefly mentions her back chapter 2. Either way we are approaching Chrono Cross levels of complexity.

Especially since even this was supposed to be a "quick" post from me.

So I have been obsessed with this niche as hell franchise for almost 25 years?

:shepicide:

waah fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 7, 2020