Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Cat Mattress posted:

Besides the Israeli-made Harop, most of the damage seem to be inflicted by Bayraktar TB2 drones, which Azerbaijan expressed the intent to acquire back in July 2020. Does anything seriously think they could have finished negotiating the contract, acquired the aircraft, and trained to operational level in just a few months? They're Turkish drones operated by Turkish crews.

Where is a good website to see which drone destroys what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1312500249907220481?s=21

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Besides the Israeli-made Harop, most of the damage seem to be inflicted by Bayraktar TB2 drones, which Azerbaijan expressed the intent to acquire back in July 2020. Does anything seriously think they could have finished negotiating the contract, acquired the aircraft, and trained to operational level in just a few months? They're Turkish drones operated by Turkish crews.

Not only that but they took part in the joint drills that took place shortly before this escalation. They just never went home.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Is there a livemap for the Nagorno Karabakh conflict?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rip Testes posted:

https://caucasus.liveuamap.com

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

A lot of the damage were probably done by loitering munitions that we don't have footage of. Azerbaijan bought a bunch from Israel and even have a manufacturing facility for them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rip Testes posted:

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Randarkman posted:

I also think that if push really came to shove and the US withdraws in some way from its European military commitments that Britain, France and Germany (and other west and north European members) would throw the Baltic states and Poland to the wolves without a second's hesitation.

I don't think so. Would it be a full out article 5 thing? No.

But there are lots of cross nation training and planning going on to make sure that the russians would at least need to try very hard to do something.

Who knows if it will be enough though.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Armenian MoD reporting that they just hit Azeri airfields with strategic weapons

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Vasukhani posted:

Armenian MoD reporting that they just hit Azeri airfields with strategic weapons

Clarification:

https://twitter.com/ArmenianUnified/status/1312650841329934336?s=19

The reports of these strikes come from Infocom's telegram channel, citing Vahram Poghosyan, Arayik's (President of Artsakh) spokesman.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randarkman posted:

Norway's relationship with Russia and the degree of Russian interest in it is vastly different from what it is as regards Poland, comparing the two isn't really fair.

The deciding factor isn't really as much about sharing a border with Russia as being in "Russia's sphere", and there are alot of countries who do not have great memories of the last time they were in that sphere for decades or centuries.

it addresses the point quoted, which is that NATO opposition comes only from a position of privileged distance to the big bad wolf. again, if people would rather be vassals of the yankees than the russians i can sympathise to an extent, but NATO remains the primary institution of american imperialism in europe and must be recognised as such. to whit: gently caress NATO

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I rather doubt that finnish national security would be improved by joining nato, nor would it ever have been. Since it most certainly is the american vassalage system, and becoming a vassal of a rival empire is a Bad Idea tm when you share a border with a nation that has been under siege for the past cnetury

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vasukhani posted:

I'm hoping the Armenians use that phrase differently than western nations do

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

piL posted:

Strategic in this case I'm guessing refers to their conventional ballistic missiles.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Azeri advance appears to be picking up steam. In Syria we've seen instances where one side or another is allowed to gobble up some territory before someone steps in and says that's enough, despite unresolved continuing issues, so it'll be interesting to see if that's what's going on here, or if Russia just intends to let Armenia lose this one to resolve a longstanding problem in the region. It's not like Armenia would have anywhere else to turn if they got mad at Russia. That said, just letting Turkey run roughshod over Russia's role as arbiter in the Caucasus feels like a loss for Russia (particularly with Turkish propagandists suddenly pushing the line that Azerbaijan is simply another nation of Turks on different clay), so it'll be interesting to see if/when they tell the Azeris to be happy with what gains they've made. Letting Turkey get some of what it wants at Russia's expense on its border is one thing, but letting Turkey extend its footprint into the former Soviet Union like this is a different thing altogether, or you'd expect it to be anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 4, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

piL fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 5, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Strategic in this case I'm guessing refers to their conventional ballistic missiles.

That would make sense, though I feel like the clench factor of ballistic missiles im general draws certain international attention that makes even their use normally unlikely.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

piL posted:

They do not have access to nuclear weapons.

A strategic weapon is a weapon meant to have a strategic impact on a conflict. By opposition to tactical weapons that have a tactical impact. It's not so much a question of the nature of the weapon itself, "conventional" or not, but of the effect it has on the battlefield. A long-range missile used to destroy enemy infrastructure far beyond the frontline is a strategic weapon, for example. The same weapon used to destroy a tank brigade is tactical.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I have no idea wtf should have been done here, but whether this is good or bad, just or unjust (I don't know that a good answer or one that established justice is even possible in this situation), a bunch of people affiliated with ISIS appear to be getting set free by the SDF:

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1312871010484486147
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1312872856531992577
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1312876262193598465

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

The Azeri advance appears to be picking up steam. In Syria we've seen instances where one side or another is allowed to gobble up some territory before someone steps in and says that's enough, despite unresolved continuing issues, so it'll be interesting to see if that's what's going on here, or if Russia just intends to let Armenia lose this one to resolve a longstanding problem in the region. It's not like Armenia would have anywhere else to turn if they got mad at Russia. That said, just letting Turkey run roughshod over Russia's role as arbiter in the Caucasus feels like a loss for Russia (particularly with Turkish propagandists suddenly pushing the line that Azerbaijan is simply another nation of Turks on different clay), so it'll be interesting to see if/when they tell the Azeris to be happy with what gains they've made. Letting Turkey get some of what it wants at Russia's expense on its border is one thing, but letting Turkey extend its footprint into the former Soviet Union like this is a different thing altogether, or you'd expect it to be anyway.

it's entirely possible Russia consented to Turkish interference here months ago as part of their negotiations on Syria. Not like anybody involved would say anything.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The obvious point would be that Russia isn't interested in helping Armenia right now, so as long as Azerbaijan doesn't attack Armenian territory, nothing will happen. Karabakh and allegedly Armenia is shelling all of northern Azerbaijan, but it doesn't seem that Azerbaijan has retaliated inside Armenia at all, including attacking any offensive weapons with standoff missiles or something. Sounds like some sort of deal has been made.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Personally, I still think it's more likely than not that Azerbaijan doesn't get the whole territory this round. Undoing 30 years of occupation in one month or whatever is a big ask (and allowing Azerbaijan to split the baby now could be part of how we reach a long term settlement if you're super optimistic). I think some sort of status quo bias will prevail given how many international actors have been calling on Azerbaijan to stop. Yeah, Russia's been very quiet so far in terms of saber rattling, but they've been working to align themselves with countries like France to say knock it off, so it could be that they're just trying to get all their ducks lined up to get to play the hero and get some international credit. Plus they obviously don't want to lose relations with Azerbaijan forever over this, so they may even have quietly assented to a brief operation while making it clear that there are limits, who knows. That last bit probably goes too far though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

it's entirely possible Russia consented to Turkish interference here months ago as part of their negotiations on Syria. Not like anybody involved would say anything.

Doesn't seem like a good move for Russia. The Caucuses is former Russian Empire/USSR territory and right on Russia's doorstep. I doubt they want to encourage other countries to interfere so close to home.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pretty good read:
https://original.antiwar.com/danny_sjursen/2020/10/01/no-dog-in-the-fight-nagorno-karabakhs-conflict-isnt-about-us-or-russia/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looks like the Azeri side isn't necessarily pushing for total victory either. From the livemap: Aliyev stated that the mediators on Karabakh must give guarantees for the "withdrawal of Armenian troops" from the territories for a ceasefire

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Armenia is "temporarily, tactically withdrawing" (lol).

However, Armenia having called on Russia for help, I just read that the head of Dagestan has resigned. Possible attack of Russia on Azerbaijan incoming?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia would be way more likely to throw some tripwire forces on the ground to draw a new boundary than they would be to start off by attacking Azerbaijan. Even better if they can get a country like France to join them so they can claim that they're international peacekeepers.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sinteres posted:

Russia would be way more likely to throw some tripwire forces on the ground to draw a new boundary than they would be to start off by attacking Azerbaijan. Even better if they can get a country like France to join them so they can claim that they're international peacekeepers.

Armenia accepting that would be tantamous to complete surrender. Karabakh is mountain territory, so retreat doesnt necessarily mean youre broken in any way, yes?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kurnugia posted:

Armenia accepting that would be tantamous to complete surrender. Karabakh is mountain territory, so retreat doesnt necessarily mean youre broken in any way, yes?

Armenia has no ability to win on its own, so they have to live with whatever Russia decides for them. I don't think the situation is quite this drastic since Armenia's a real country with at least some heavy assets, but rough territory didn't stop Turkey very long from winning in Afrin against the YPG, and given the air superiority we've seen the Azeris and Turks display so far, I don't like Armenia's chances at all.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

This is good, thanks. It's been really hard to find any commentator who has a clue what they're talking about here!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Armenia is "temporarily, tactically withdrawing" (lol).

Looks like the Azerbaijanis fell for the feint. MoD just announced a subdivision rushed in after the "retreating" Artsakh forces and were trapped and destroyed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Diplomacy seems to be heating up a bit again after a lull during the weekend, but it remains to be seen if this is all advisory or if any of these states intends to do anything about it:

During a telephone conversation with the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan, the US Deputy Secretary of State called for an immediate ceasefire
During telephone conversations with the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, Lavrov expressed concern over the fighting in Karabakh and the growing casualties among the civilian population.
The Russian Federation, the French Foreign Ministers and the US Secretary of State call on the parties to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to restore an immediate and unconditional ceasefire.

So far I think this is the most action taken by any outside power:

Canada FM: In line with Canada's robust export control government and the ongoing investigation, I have suspended the relevant export permits to Turkey. Canada calls for measures to be taken immediately to stop the violence and protect civilians

OhFunny posted:

Looks like the Azerbaijanis fell for the feint. MoD just announced a subdivision rushed in after the "retreating" Artsakh forces and were trapped and destroyed.

That's what Armenia's saying, but unless they have some proof I wouldn't get too worked up about it. We have video of drones hitting Armenian patrols, but so far I haven't seen much evidence of successful counterattacks by the Armenians.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2020

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I wonder if we could end up with a yemen-like matchup, where the better equipped aggressor falls apart on the ground offensive against better organized locals.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Sinteres posted:

That's what Armenia's saying, but unless they have some proof I wouldn't get too worked up about it. We have video of drones hitting Armenian patrols, but so far I haven't seen much evidence of successful counterattacks by the Armenians.
:siren: Dead bodies and soldiers dying :siren:

https://www.facebook.com/100009002969045/videos/2606465219663551/

https://twitter.com/ShStepanyan/status/1312756522334683138

https://t.me/infoteka24/7919

https://t.me/infoteka24/7928

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fair enough. Obviously I can't verify them personally, but unless a fact checker says they're from somewhere else I'll accept that they're valid. I was mostly suspicious because of the weird incident where they claimed one of their planes was shot down by a Turkish jet and then never showed any evidence.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Sinteres posted:

Fair enough. Obviously I can't verify them personally, but unless a fact checker says they're from somewhere else I'll accept that they're valid. I was mostly suspicious because of the weird incident where they claimed one of their planes was shot down by a Turkish jet and then never showed any evidence.

https://www.reuters.com/article/arm...t-idUSKBN26L1P1

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

There is no reason to believe it wasn't brought down by an Su-30. Not that really changes anything. The biggest advantage the Azeris have are the Turkish TB-2s anyway.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sinteres posted:

I don't like Armenia's chances at all.

Especially given that Azerbaijan and Turkey are willing to fight them to the last Syrian.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Armenia has no ability to win on its own, so they have to live with whatever Russia decides for them. I don't think the situation is quite this drastic since Armenia's a real country with at least some heavy assets, but rough territory didn't stop Turkey very long from winning in Afrin against the YPG, and given the air superiority we've seen the Azeris and Turks display so far, I don't like Armenia's chances at all.

AZ might run out of suicide drones, and at that point AZ basically can't advance on the ground. NK is rougher territory than Afrin, and the AZ military is a joke compared to the Turkish Army. Longer term this could trigger AM to build up it's anti-aircraft capacity, and the stalemate continues. AZ might get some tiny bites of territory out of NK, but overrunning the whole territory would be a gigantic escalation and would probably trigger war involving Turkey and Russia

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

There's one video of Azerbaijan doing the Russian thing where they drive a T90 or T70 into some build up area without any infantry help and promptly lose it to an RPG.
So, it doesn't seem like they're an elite army or anything.

Progress, according to the livemap, is rather limited. I guess that would be expected. Encircling the region seems to be too much of a task as well. Taking over the whole territory will take months if not years. Most likely, diplomatic pressure will mount and there may be at least one round of cease fire pretty soon.

Edit: Alternatively, Azerbaijan may decide to start bombing Armenia proper, in which case everything escalates until Russia steps in.