Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

I have to imagine even ADVRider has had some trolls try and fake their way into accessing that subforum - the only thing hornier than teenage boys is dirty old creeps.

Yeah, that's the reason you have to be verified. It's moderated by women as far as I know, but because there are so many shitheads who can't let people enjoy themselves, measures have to be taken to keep the average user out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It seems like you could just ban the shitheads, but if a forum doesn't require :10bux: to post then I guess it's fairly easy to make a new account. Although I doubt the average ADVRider user knows how to have more than one email address.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

It seems like you could just ban the shitheads, but if a forum doesn't require :10bux: to post then I guess it's fairly easy to make a new account. Although I doubt the average ADVRider user knows how to have more than one email address.

If you banned the shitheads, the whole forum would just stop.
And a lot of the shitheads donate :10bux:, too, so I don't think a paywall would help. I'd pay even though I hate it a lot of the time.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
On ADVrider, if you call out other users then the mods will ban you for being "unchill" or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just chill and be a complete shithead to women, bro, it’s like you don’t know how to be chill

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It’s not ADVRider, but a motorcycle Facebook group I follow deleted a post of mine because I used a swear.

Again: this is a *MOTORCYCLE* page.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What the gently caress.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

If you banned the shitheads, the whole forum would just stop.
And a lot of the shitheads donate :10bux:, too, so I don't think a paywall would help. I'd pay even though I hate it a lot of the time.

If you banned the shitheads the 1st amendment and cancel culture screeching would effectively implode the entire forums.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motorcycle Facebook groups are the worst.

99.999999% oil questions followed by a single post about sketchy mods.

I literally have an image saved that I post to the SV650 group for oil questions, of which there are at least 10 a week

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You just need a Rotella emoticon

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
well??? is 10w30 ok or not???

Also what tires?

(The triumph sprint group doesn't have many oil questions, just the same joke about blue bikes being slow copied onto every existing meme in the universe and occasional boomer humor bullshit)

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 26, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chintu you piece of poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh also the “<color> are the fast ones” jokes are everywhere on every forum

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh also the “<color> are the fast ones” jokes are everywhere on every forum

Not the KLR ones. No one pretends there are fast KLRs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

klrs only come in one color anyway (dirt)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When I picture a KLR I automatically think of them in that dark forest green color to the point where I really can’t think of how they look otherwise without googling it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When I picture a KLR I automatically think of them in that dark forest green color to the point where I really can’t think of how they look otherwise without googling it

This but dark red

Which is weird cause I owned a green 2nd gen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Green KLR: a dad

Red KLR: my dad gave me this

Tan/brown KLR: sex offender

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think it's revealing that Kawasaki never made a KLR in Kawasaki Green.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

? They're everywhere, in the stupid quarter-faired shape anyway. Green and black just like an ex250.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've only ever seen black with some green highlights. I mean full-on green like the KLX.

edit: I see from searching that there was a mostly green 2nd gen one, but 3rd gen ones only had the few green accents, all the fenders and side panels were black.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stop giving them attention and maybe they'll stop making them

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

I've only ever seen black with some green highlights. I mean full-on green like the KLX.

edit: I see from searching that there was a mostly green 2nd gen one, but 3rd gen ones only had the few green accents, all the fenders and side panels were black.

KLRs only have 2 generations, although there may be a 3rd gen released next month.

And the best ones are teal

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

televiper posted:

KLRs only have 2 generations, although there may be a 3rd gen released next month.

And the best ones are teal

TRAP SPRUNG, GET HIM, BOYS!

j/k I thought there was a 1st gen in the 90s, 2nd in early 2000s, and 3rd around 2010 or so. Are there 3 versions of bodywork over the years, or am I just making that up too?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're kind of right, the original first gen was in production p much unchanged from the late 80s all the way through 2008, but there were a couple of offshoot models in the 90s: the 650B "Tengai" which had a bunch more plastic and "rally" styling, and the 650C which had better forks, a smaller tank, and more 90s-ish but still dirt-biky plastic.

The Tengai wasn't bad looking, shame they only made it for a few years

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

TRAP SPRUNG, GET HIM, BOYS!

j/k I thought there was a 1st gen in the 90s, 2nd in early 2000s, and 3rd around 2010 or so. Are there 3 versions of bodywork over the years, or am I just making that up too?

Pardon me as a nerd out for a moment:

gen 1 was 87-07, but there are four major variants: the A model (standard KLR), B or the ‘Tengai’ which had fuller road-oriented fairings and looked pretty slick, the C which was more common in Europe and was more off-road looking than the A (a bit lighter heavier but better brakes, no tach, headlight on the forks, different forks (maybe from the KLX? not sure), and different rear rack, and then the military model that drinks diesel (but was not called the ‘D’, despite all of gen 2 being the ‘E’ model)

gen 2 was 08-18 and and really was mostly just a gen 1 with some minor changes, and then a few tweaks in 2014.5, but they looks pretty much the same the whole run.

Thank you, carry on.

televiper fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 4, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

You're kind of right, the original first gen was in production p much unchanged from the late 80s all the way through 2008, but there were a couple of offshoot models in the 90s: the 650B "Tengai" which had a bunch more plastic and "rally" styling, and the 650C which had better forks, a smaller tank, and more 90s-ish but still dirt-biky plastic.

The Tengai wasn't bad looking, shame they only made it for a few years

That is amazingly good looking and takes the title of best-polished turd for me by a country mile.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What the gently caress, how do I want a KLR now?

I’m mad at everyone responsible for this

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What the gently caress, how do I want a KLR now?

I’m mad at everyone responsible for this

You don’t, you just want an old transalp because that’s what it looks like.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I also still want a Transalp and there are a couple near me.
The Tengai look is kind of what I’m shooting for with my ‘09, as much as I can anyways.

But what started all this, was someone asking rec’s for a next bike and wanted to know if anyone had strong opinions on what he was cross shopping: KLR, DR650, KTM 690 and I only said “everyone I’ve ever talked to who went from the KTM to the DR always asked why the gently caress they put up with KTM’s bullshit.”

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I remember spotting a Tengai at the biggest national for sale page some years ago, but never since. I looked it up, and there are only 4 still registered in the country.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Had a 2007 klr. Killed it. One less in this world.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

Dress kids like that today in what looks like left over feed sacks and they'd charge you with child abuse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, probably. All that loose fabric seems super unsafe near the bike, not to mention lack of crash resistance.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yes but I like the mental image of an adv poster who is angry at the SJWs because he feels his freedoms curtailed for not being able to send his grandkids to school wearing burlap sacks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pictured: two people who know more about bikes than the OP.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Slavvy posted:

Tan/brown KLR: sex offender

:wink:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm three years late to the party, but after 16 years I've decided to finally give AI/CA another try and just saw this. I used to have a second job that mostly consisted of browsing SA and ADVRider at $18/hr. I spent a lot of time on ADVRider after finding it around 2007 and used to participate in photo tag, but by the time I left that job in 2014, I barely visited because it had become a parody of itself. It had gone from people posting about cool trips and tech to Starbucks-addicted GS riders complaining about about seeing a GS parked at Starbucks and everything in that bingo card.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

2019 Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Sacramento CA.

Well straight to the point. I built this bike for travel / aggressive offroad. This filled the void between a 790 and a 501, but sadly life has changed. Never fully enjoyed its capabilities. I have nearly 25k invested into this machine, many hours of labor. Only 2968 miles.

I can remove the graphics if they’re not to your liking.

All stock components come with the bike.

$21,000 OBO

Oil changes at 200, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500.

Coolant changed to Engine Ice at 200, 2600

Brake fluid changed 2600
Custom ABS delete kit

New set of Tusk Dsport Adventure tires and Heavy duty tubes

Modifications:
DynoJet Power Commander V $390

DynoJet Autotune $270

Rottweiler Intake System $350

Crankcase Breather Blanking Kit For Rottweiler Intake Kits $20

Rottweiler Soft Bag $50

Rottweiler Fueling Dongle $30

SAS and Canister Removal Kit $60

Arrow Aluminum Carbon Muffler $448

Arrow link pipe $89

Arrow Spark Arrester $70

BPR Riser Kit $400

BPR 20mm Riser Kit $50

Scotts Performance Damper Unit $350

Trail Tech Voyager Pro $600

Hammerhead Shift Lever $90

IMS Rally Pegs $200

190 F Thermo Fan Switch $40

Husqvarna 701 Enduro LR Fan $120

PDM-60 $200

R&G Stator Cover $87.00

R&G Clutch Cover $96.00

R&G Racing Fender Eliminator $115.00

Aurora Rally Explorer Kit $6700.00

ProTaper EVO CR High Bend $90.00

ProTaper Pillow Top Grips $15.00

KTM 690 Enduro front fender $30.00

Steg Pegz $187.00

That's a lot of bike lets take a loo..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
All I see in that post is "please help bail me out of my ridiculous financial decisions".