Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There is something rich about a primarily American forum attacking a foreign game developer for not profit sharing enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
if your kind of dumb I guess.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

what it’s not a goon invention them being really creepy to her did happen.

why are all these weirdos jumping out of the woodwork to defend game companies honor

I've been watching a lot of Downton Abbey and a recurring theme is the servants getting super upset and emotional over the "honor of the house" being slighted.

Kind of the same thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

more than one thing can be bad at a time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

I've been watching a lot of Downton Abbey and a recurring theme is the servants getting super upset and emotional over the "honor of the house" being slighted.

Kind of the same thing.

I mean I expect it in games but doing it in CSPAM is an interesting choice

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How about actually defending your point instead of starting some weird meta-argument

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

It's goon invention, don't believe everything you read on the forums.

I never thought I'd see someone white knight loving David Cage but lol ok.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

I never thought I'd see someone white knight loving David Cage but lol ok.

So it's not true. Thanks for confirming.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

what would I need to defend you just said fake news.

how about instead you make an argument instead of getting defensive for your video games

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, let me prove the non-existence of something. Great point you made there, genius.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, let me prove the non-existence of something. Great point you made there, genius.

https://bleedingcool.com/games/quantic-dream-david-cage-ticking-time-bomb/

quote:

And if you look beyond that one instance, you'll find many other questionable moments in both Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

In Heavy Rain there is a sequence in which the game's heroine Madison is forced to strip at gunpoint.
Just before the "stripping at gunpoint" sequence, the camera gives us a couple of clear up-skirt shots of Madison before focusing prominently on her butt.
Madison is almost raped by an anonymous man in a mask in a dream sequence called "Sleepless Night." This scene does not exist to advance the plot of the game in any way.
Just before the dream sequence in which Madison is almost raped, we get a lengthy sequence of her in the shower with the game's "camera" paying particularly close attention to her breasts and butt.
Madison is almost raped by an electric drill during the red-herring scene with The Doc.
Depending on player's actions in Two Souls it is heavily implied that the teenage protagonist Jodie is assaulted and gang-raped by a group of boys at a bar. In full view of the casually retreating bartender.
The Native American grandmother plays an incredibly racist "wise woman" role in Beyond: Two Souls.
There are two shower scenes with Jodie, though much less sexualized as the camera focuses mostly on her face and shoulders. Without using dev controls, you cannot force the camera to view Jodie's naked body.

In the end, it is obvious that Madison exists in Heavy Rain just to be Ethan's "happy ending." She experiences sexualized violence at almost every turn, with pretty much every male she has an interaction with wanting to violate her in some way, shape, or form. And then we get to Ethan, and we get to control every single aspect of his sex scene with Madison.

We sit back as Kara and are instructed not to get involved when Todd goes after his young daughter in a rage. Alice screams, and then we witness Todd lowering her lax body onto a bed and charging at Kara screaming "this is all your fault." And the reason we see this is so that Quantic Dream can highlight the fact that in Detroit, we as the androids can control what happens. We can stop Todd from going after Alice.

And the entire purpose of the trailer is to show you the way the decision tree works in the game. This could have been shown in any other way. A lot of games include complicated decision trees, and none have used the abuse and murder of a little girl as the way to do it.

You can dive into the article for tons of context and links to other articles savaging Cage and Quantic Dreams.

Not really sure how "proving non-existence" was the thing you took away from being criticized for your blatant cheerleading of a supremely disturbing and creepy man.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Oct 5, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

There is something rich about a primarily American forum attacking a foreign game developer for not profit sharing enough.

I'm just inherently suspicious of any company announcing from the rooftops that they're doing it, especially to cover other bad press about them going back on a different promise to their employees. It's certainly better than any American company would prolly ever do, sure :shrug:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

https://bleedingcool.com/games/quantic-dream-david-cage-ticking-time-bomb/

You can dive into the article for tons of context and links to other articles savaging Cage and Quantic Dreams.

Not really sure how "proving non-existence" was the thing you took away from being criticized for your blatant cheerleading of a supremely disturbing and creepy man.

I'm not going to read some weird game crit article that has nothing to do with the question asked.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

So it's not true. Thanks for confirming.

Which way too long lovingly-rendered pissing scene was your favorite way too long lovingly-rendered pissing scene?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm not going to read some weird game crit article that has nothing to do with the question asked.

lol going full Sargon of Akkad out here

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

So you literally refuse to accept major criticism of the person you are so ardently defending?

Make it clear you think "good faith" is a joke so you can save everyone else a lot of time from ever engaging with you.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not defending any person? Do you have reading comprehension issues?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

So you literally refuse to accept major criticism of the person you are so ardently defending?

Make it clear you think "good faith" is a joke so you can save everyone else a lot of time from ever engaging with you.

I think they're saying that it's not addressing the particular claim of "David Cage and friends were creepy perverts to Ellen Page specifically" therefore it doesn't matter.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

I think they're saying that it's not addressing the particular claim of "David Cage and friends were creepy perverts to Ellen Page specifically" therefore it doesn't matter.

Seems you have reading comprehension issues as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

he really is Sargon

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/eIeanorlamb/status/1312611229555453952

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's just a terrible edit of a picture that is way more funny on its own.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

That's just a terrible edit of a picture that is way more funny on its own.

someone is feeling pissy today. what's got you down?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

someone is feeling pissy today. what's got you down?

Trump being discharged from the hospital (even though I realize there's still hope)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Trump being discharged from the hospital (even though I realize there's still hope)

lmao okay bud

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Aw man. I mean I knew it was gonna happen because the more evil you are the harder you are to kill (fuckin' look at Kissinger) but still, aw man.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Which way too long lovingly-rendered pissing scene was your favorite way too long lovingly-rendered pissing scene?

im gonna be honest with ya shame boy, i think its way worse that he made a nude model of ellen page against her consent then that hes into pee. in fact i think its so much worse that i dont really give a drat hes into pee at all, really

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You know how most places have paid sick days to prevent people from going to the office sick because they can't afford to take the day off? Well my company joins those ranks in 2021! We're getting a whole two sick days*!

*At half rate**
**it's unknown if we still get attendance points. They're a little vague on that in the newsletter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

im gonna be honest with ya shame boy, i think its way worse that he made a nude model of ellen page against her consent then that hes into pee. in fact i think its so much worse that i dont really give a drat hes into pee at all, really

Sure, but I wanted to make an easy joke since that argument clearly wasn't going anywhere :shrug:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That was just a stock model they bought from a third-party company, they didn't model nude Elen Page "against her consent"

This is another misunderstanding of game development goons perpetuate.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

uhhh I don't see anything that says that the 10% profit-sharing is a special reward for crunch time

the statement implies that it's a normal thing that the company has been doing for several years

yeah now that you point it out... on one hand seems like a good thing to do regularly, on the other hand I wonder how they are going to deal with crunch

CharlestheHammer posted:

it would seem that if you gave a friend that works there that would have come up

lmao he's not a friend, he's an ex coworker that everybody in that studio despised and yet he got hired by CDPR, around 2018

what is going on itt everybody's so cranky

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I'm reminded of how some model/actress did a photoshoot, and was convinced to do some nudes with very specific contractual limitations on what the nudes could be used for (no distribution/publishing). When the photographer turned around and published the nudes anyways she tried to sue and her lawyers said her only practical options were to just try and get what profits she could from the illegal sale.

Fame Douglas posted:

That was just a stock model they bought from a third-party company, they didn't model nude Elen Page "against her consent"

For a game using extensive mo-cap and trying to realistically capture Ellen Page's looks the best they could, they then decided "hey for this shower scene where it 100% looks like Ellen Page but you can't see her nude we need to make sure the body is accurately modeled as a nude body"

It's enough of a mess legally that she might've been able to sue, and it was absolutely gross as gently caress they even created that possibility in the first place.

Eventually when deepfakes start leading to lawsuits they're going to point back to Beyond Two Souls as the precursor to the issue and what damage it can cause.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Oct 5, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

I'm reminded of how some model/actress did a photoshoot, and was convinced to do some nudes with very specific contractual limitations on what the nudes could be used for (no distribution/publishing). When the photographer turned around and published the nudes anyways she tried to sue and her lawyers said her only practical options were to just try and get what profits she could from the illegal sale.

You're reminded of this, but you would be wrong. The Ellen Page model was simply a stock model they used.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

No they just photoshopped her face onto a naked body, nothing wrong with that, who cares.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that if you hijack the camera in a 3D game you can see the parts of the generic model in the shower scene you weren't meant to see. I thought games were just like movies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Sure, but I wanted to make an easy joke since that argument clearly wasn't going anywhere :shrug:

sure thats fair

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

necroid posted:

what is going on itt everybody's so cranky

I don't know if you're aware of this but people are being wrong

About VIDEOGAMES

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm unfamiliar with this Ellen Page thing, but from the basic description it sounds similar to Hot Coffee? As in, it requires modding or some other fuckery to even see the nudity in question? And even then it's not her actual nudity?

Who cares. I mean it's a lovely thing, but not the kind worth real outrage or hand wringing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

No they just photoshopped her face onto a naked body, nothing wrong with that, who cares.

Its 100% picking up extremely minor details and arguing it wasn't technically her is just explicitly endorsing lovely treatment of women in the gaming industry.

The entire game premise and marketing was built up around the main character being Ellen Page just in a video game, mo cap for realism, true character expressions and some poo poo. A available nude scene with that same character regardless of whether or not that actually filmed naked Ellen Page with mo cap to simulate a shower or used actual nude photos of her to model it isn't the point.

It was presented as 100% her for the game so by default everyone would assume it was a nude scene with her. The specific mesh applied to the body, again not necessarily in the slightest for anything in the game, doesn't change the fact it's supposed to be Ellen Page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the issue wasn’t whether you saw it.

So I’m not sure how it was like hot coffee at all?