Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm almost finished with Dune and I'm starting to not like this book. The way Paul gets feted as the saviour and the way it's told seems really... childish, for lack of a better world. It feels like the book transitions from interesting world building to a YA novel, in a kind of embarassing way. Also Herbert has a serious boner for SS death squads, with all the fedaykin and sardaukar poo poo. Almost feel like I'm not going to finish it, unless a sandworm crushes him while he's taking a poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Keep going.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

busalover posted:

I'm almost finished with Dune and I'm starting to not like this book. The way Paul gets feted as the saviour and the way it's told seems really... childish, for lack of a better world. It feels like the book transitions from interesting world building to a YA novel, in a kind of embarassing way. Also Herbert has a serious boner for SS death squads, with all the fedaykin and sardaukar poo poo. Almost feel like I'm not going to finish it, unless a sandworm crushes him while he's taking a poop.

I think you'll like the book, keep reading.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Mask discipline has consequences. We are all siona now

Also, this is... too perfect. Dune was way ahead of its time!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The delay is such a bummer. Any other time it would have been an “awww man” but no big deal, but it was one of the last things coming out anytime soon I was looking forwards to.

Time to order another copy of the book and give it a reread. I really need to never lend that book to anyone, I have never gotten a copy back in 15 years and 8 copies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spoiling the end for first timers, but a big part of the ending is Paul realising that he basically walked into a role created for him as part of a distinctly cynical engineered religion designed for Bene Gesserit convenience, and his ability to command the Fremen is mostly because of that and that he generally tells them to do things that they already want to do- and so he can't stop the genocidal crusade once the Fremen unite and take over Arrakis. Dead or alive, he's ultimately not much more than a banner to rally around. A Hero would be the worst thing to happen for everyone on Arrakis, including said hero.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And then once he’s in he’s in too deep

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jesus how could you go to the effort of making a Dune podcast and accept that drivel. Twice.

I know right. I knew to avoid Dune Cast right away because they were promoting an interview with Kevin J Anderson on Twitter, but imagine my disgust listening to the other discussing the drunken Idaho scene from the first book and exclaiming that when he was ranting he first bloodied his sword on Grundar or wherever that it must be a mistake and Frank didn't double check his notes because [prequel book] says he first killed on Gedi Prime.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yadoppsi posted:

I know right. I knew to avoid Dune Cast right away because they were promoting an interview with Kevin J Anderson on Twitter, but imagine my disgust listening to the other discussing the drunken Idaho scene from the first book and exclaiming that when he was ranting he first bloodied his sword on Grundar or wherever that it must be a mistake and Frank didn't double check his notes because [prequel book] says he first killed on Gedi Prime.

lmfao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yadoppsi posted:

holy poo poo lol

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Yadoppsi posted:

Jfc

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

what the christ

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Yadoppsi posted:

There's not a gently caress YOU big enough for those people

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Yadoppsi posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Yadoppsi posted:

he first bloodied his sword on Grundar or wherever

Grumman. I always took this as a kind of gag, that ten thousand years from now when America and Earth itself are totally forgotten there will still be a planet named by our military industrial complex

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Yadoppsi posted:

Holy poo poo, this is unreal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yadoppsi posted:

What the gently caress? Do these people understand how linear time works?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think it's more that consumerism begets canon and canon begets completionist nerds (see the star wars threads 'dennys placemat' in joke)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think it's more that consumerism begets canon and canon begets completionist nerds (see the star wars threads 'dennys placemat' in joke)

Do not besmirch the good name of my boy Therm Scissorpunch

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
With the movie delayed, hopefully they can go ahead and start streaming Dune: The Sisterhood. :pray:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thread caught my eye the other day, watched the Lynch Dune last night, now I'm ordering the book, which I last read when I was like 14.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid i liked chapterhouse dune the best because of the sex scenes

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

And then once he’s in he’s in too deep

Dune Messiah despite feeling out of place tackles this one way more directly and with almost no subtly, to the point where Paul talks about how every religion the Fremen are wiping out was legitimate and valid and his Fremen general/advisor starts laughing and saying how much their Muad'dib loves his jokes while Paul just sighs and has to deal with it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mozi posted:

Tugs collar of school uniform nervously

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Mozi posted:

At 34 listening to that whole book at work was a hilarious and almost embarrasing experience.
Techniques to make you cum so hard you become an slave, it feels out of Futurama.Something Zapp brannigan would brag about.

It gets redeemed by “I am moving at dangerous speed” tho.And going back to Geidi Premi and Barony is pretty nice.The way Harkonnens organised their cities to be maximum assholes to their serfs is interesting as hell, Shane it’s only a few concepts here and there.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 7, 2020

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

That's probably it. They were going through all the books in in-universe chronological order not publishing order.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Surprised that weird Dune visual novel posted way back wasn't set in the Honored Matres days. Would've made more sense canonically.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

busalover posted:

im no fan of dune, or zensunni terrorism, but

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

When Paul sees that the Jihad is "inevitable" does that mean there's an alternate universe where he dies during the timeskip, and with his loss their guerrilla war against Rabban lasts a few more years, but then the Fremen finally win under the leadership of Abomination Alia?

Would Alia's Other Memory tulpa of Harkonnen help her avenge the Atreides and kill his real-life counterpart? If he did, he could make Empress Alia take Feyd as a consort so he could finally fulfill his dream of loving his hot nephew.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Joke Miriam posted:

When Paul sees that the Jihad is "inevitable" does that mean there's an alternate universe where he dies during the timeskip, and with his loss their guerrilla war against Rabban lasts a few more years, but then the Fremen finally win under the leadership of Abomination Alia?

Would Alia's Other Memory tulpa of Harkonnen help her avenge the Atreides and kill his real-life counterpart? If he did, he could make Empress Alia take Feyd as a consort so he could finally fulfill his dream of loving his hot nephew.

Plans within plans...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

u brexit ukip it posted:

im no fan of dune, or zensunni terrorism, but

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Muad'Dib's Fedaykin suicide commandos. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them".

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Ok, finished the first book. Pretty much a cliffhanger. So I gotta keep reading. Eh, ok.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

busalover posted:

Ok, finished the first book. Pretty much a cliffhanger. So I gotta keep reading. Eh, ok.

you have to read the first two at least. the second book is paul's hangover after his jihad party.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So is spice supposed to be a metaphor for something?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Capntastic posted:

Do you mayhaps host one of the top two Dune podcasts?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Capntastic posted:

Cinnamon, duh :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Capntastic posted:

It's a metaphor for post-nut clarity.