Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a recent (last three years) single player, immersive horror game I can jump into? I picked up world of horror and its great but I'm hoping to find something more pretty to creep myself out with for spooktober.
I was about to say Alien Isolation but holy poo poo that came out over half a decade ago. Resident Evil 7? Evil Within 2 horror works pretty well when you turn on first person. Some people get spooked by Prey. It's immersive, but not exactly horror.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are large maps more fun on higher difficulties? We just unlocked the Asylum on amateur and it kind of sucked. It was just 90% us walking around with basically nothing happening at all and then we finally found the single room we got any activity in and that was it. The highschool seems like the perfect size so far.
Haha, I just tried Asylum with one other person, and it was awful. We never even found activity before we bailed.

I convinced a friend to play with me tonight. We had talked about horror games in the past, so I thought this would be right up his alley. After about two minutes into each game, he would head back into van and refuse to come into the house. Turns out the horror games we've talked about are Resident Evil 4 and the first level of Silent Hill that he got too scared to get through. He's not into horror games at all and hated Phasmophobia. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a recent (last three years) single player, immersive horror game I can jump into? I picked up world of horror and its great but I'm hoping to find something more pretty to creep myself out with for spooktober.

Visage

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Apparently the Phasmophobia dev is a true madman who is adding at least three more large maps soon.
One of the streamers I watch who plays it had a teammate get hit with ear whisper and the tool they were carrying snatched at the same time, ghosts being able to combo things sounds super good for spooks.

We had a phantom that was responding to the Ouija board and was incredibly active last night. Also had a habit of just going into hunt mode pretty much instantly when i entered the house at the end so we just bailed. My friend was streaming and caught a good shot of it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedTastyGoldfishFloof

Creepy poo poo.

Professor Wayne posted:

I was about to say Alien Isolation but holy poo poo that came out over half a decade ago. Resident Evil 7? Evil Within 2 horror works pretty well when you turn on first person. Some people get spooked by Prey. It's immersive, but not exactly horror.

Haha, I just tried Asylum with one other person, and it was awful. We never even found activity before we bailed.

I convinced a friend to play with me tonight. We had talked about horror games in the past, so I thought this would be right up his alley. After about two minutes into each game, he would head back into van and refuse to come into the house. Turns out the horror games we've talked about are Resident Evil 4 and the first level of Silent Hill that he got too scared to get through. He's not into horror games at all and hated Phasmophobia. Whoops.

I think the larger maps are garbage, to be honest. He should focus on smaller ones. Unless he codes in specific behaviour for the larger maps or allows groups of 8 (i think 8 would be great for the bigger levels) i just don't ever bother clicking on them.

Also your friend being in the van might be kinda cool for him if you have a bunch of camera's set up. My girlfriend loves the game but 100% refuses to go inside once the five minute mark is up. Luckily it works out because she buys all the gear

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 6, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is very unsettling with its shifting imagery and binaural audio. Not strictly horror but there's a constant sense of unease. One of the most "immersive" games I've ever played in its complete eschewing of a traditional UI and button prompts.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I had the fun experience of playing Phasmophobia with one of my more skittish friends. He was on flat screen and I was in VR, and I snuck up on him with my flashlight off and whispered his name and he spun around to see me right in his face and absolutely flipped. Good times.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Glagha posted:

I had the fun experience of playing Phasmophobia with one of my more skittish friends. He was on flat screen and I was in VR, and I snuck up on him with my flashlight off and whispered his name and he spun around to see me right in his face and absolutely flipped. Good times.

Last night I was playing with a goon and his friend and I hosed with them by turning the breaker on and off without telling them. :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I walked up out of sight from a door as my friends were asking the ghost to close the door and shut it without them knowing. They lost it lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is the point of the game to screw with your friends more than solve the puzzle? I ended up playing a couple maps with randos and solving the ghost was so easy that I just turned it off.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'm having a blast with Phasmophobia but yes, the asylum is absolute garbage. Way too much ground to cover and not as interesting to explore as it should be. We got a poltergeist in there who did absolutely nothing for about 45 minutes while we slowly trudged through identical hallways until I finally snapped a pic of a dirty sink and bailed.

It probably won't happen for griefing/exploit reasons but I'd really dig it if I could gently caress with people after I die. Not a lot, just light flickers, motion sensor tripping, maybe some ouija board stuff. It's fun watching ghosts hunt your teammates but even after you die, they can be a pain to track down until they suddenly disappear again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is the point of the game to screw with your friends more than solve the puzzle? I ended up playing a couple maps with randos and solving the ghost was so easy that I just turned it off.

IDing the ghost is pretty simple, it’s the more dangerous secondary objectives that get dicey. Last night one of our objectives was taking a picture of the ghost, which involved tracking it down and intentionally pissing it off until it showed itself.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Last night I was playing with a goon and his friend and I hosed with them by turning the breaker on and off without telling them. :v:
Haha, I had no idea you were doing that. My friend is still pissed we left him to die in the first (or maybe second) game.

I've been in groups with lvl 35 players who should know what they're doing and sometimes we've had trouble getting the last piece of evidence to ID the ghost. But yeah, I think the extra objectives are where the challenge is supposed to be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, once you get the hang of it its trivial. There's a reason iding the ghost only gives $10.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Trivial, but still easy to screw up or just never find certain evidence with certain ghosts. Last time I played we had a couple of instances where we had the optional objectives but only two out of three pieces of evidence and just had to roll the dice on the third. We were wrong at least one of those times, but yeah it's not a big deal if you miss the mark on that. There's definitely a point where the game feels like it becomes more about getting pictures of the ghost (which, depending on the type, can be really hard to do without putting yourself in danger) or provoking the ghost to see what it'll do.

I also swear there's a "beginner" period of time where the ghosts just aren't as active, like until you hit level 2 or something. I assume that's not the case and we just kind of had a fluke, but our first two or three cases we got some really good pictures of the ghost and never really got a level 10 hunt, managed to identify the ghost pretty reliably (screwed up once mostly because we didn't have a Thermometer yet), made it out with everybody at >50% sanity... then the next three or four games, we just got wrecked repeatedly.

Some of that can probably be chalked up to the game being a bit swingy depending on the ghost type and how lucky you get, some of it is probably that we started using the ghosts' names a lot more without really understanding what it did, but honestly I'm pretty okay with the game being kind of unpredictable. I'd rather it be more of a "what'll happen this time" kind of experience, than know I can reliably finish three of the four objectives without ever putting somebody at risk.

It sounds like that's probably the general feeling towards the game (other than the inevitable gamer types that have to feel like they've "optimized" the gameplay loop) so I hope the dev leans into that and adds more weird ghost effects, hallucinations, audio stuff, etc like someone said yesterday.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the clarifications on Phasmophobia, maybe I'm just not giving it a fair enough shake. Is there a group discord for making teams for it yet?

Tired Moritz posted:

yuppie psycho is pretty fun. too bad no one ever talks about it.

I liked the game conceptually but it did have some pretty annoying mechanics that makes it hard to recommend, especially when you get close to the end and some of the faster killing enemies start popping up everywhere. I ended up not getting the golden ending just because I didn't want to deal with it, which isn't exactly a gold star.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I liked the whole idea behind Yuppie Psycho, but I wish that developer wouldn't be so attached to really outdated game mechanics. I despised the limited-save mechanics both in Yuppie and Count Lucanor, I don't think they added anything but frustration. And honestly just about any combat/pursuit mechanics in either game felt like an obligatory waste of time. There's probably a way to have combat mechanics (or at least some sort of limited resource management kind of thing) in both of those games, but honestly I'd prefer to just have walking simulators over what we got in both of those games. As is I found them both pretty tedious to actually play.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Realized that lately a thing I've been getting into is little indie horror games- I'm absolutely taken by World of Horror (I have a composition notebook full of notes that's basically a homemade strategy guide), I loved Faith (and am waiting for the New Blood release to play 2), and I'm working my through Dread X Collection after thoroughly enjoying most of DXC2. Right now I've got eyes on The Enigma of Salazar House, but I don't know what else is out there. Are the Puppet Combo games any good? They all kind of a seedy grindhouse look to them that puts me off.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
They're very much all that style, yeah. I've only seen John Wolfe play it and he seems to love them but they all seem pretty similar overall

For indie horror, I would highly recommend imscared, the one on Steam. Fairly short, but very effective

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Realized that lately a thing I've been getting into is little indie horror games- I'm absolutely taken by World of Horror (I have a composition notebook full of notes that's basically a homemade strategy guide), I loved Faith (and am waiting for the New Blood release to play 2), and I'm working my through Dread X Collection after thoroughly enjoying most of DXC2. Right now I've got eyes on The Enigma of Salazar House, but I don't know what else is out there. Are the Puppet Combo games any good? They all kind of a seedy grindhouse look to them that puts me off.

The completed games normally have options for the game filters but video-nasty is pretty much their entire catalogues look. They do run a publisher now which has other indie dev releases which vary quite a lot (now I'm looking I see Salazar listed on there so you've probably already seen that). Nun Massacre and The Glass Staircase feel the most different to me, although they still rely on overly loud jumpscares, but there are weird, hidden creepy parts that are effective.

You could try Night of the Consumers, Swallow the Sea and Discover my Body for some suggestions.

DrSnakeLaser fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 6, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't mean like film grain or whatever, there's just, IDK, a certain tone to what I've seen of Puppet Combo's stuff that I find offputting. Seems like a nice dude on Twitter though.

Now that you mention it I got Night of the Consumers in the Itch bundle so I think I'll check that out tonight, thanks!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont remember Yuppie Psycho having combat at all. The limited saves are super dumb though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I dont remember Yuppie Psycho having combat at all. The limited saves are super dumb though.

There were occasional boss fights. I remember the spider/library boss in particular being dumb as hell because your character controls like a drunk hippo so while it wasn't a hard fight, per se, it was easy to die because you got caught on an obstacle or just happened to go the wrong direction for a second too long.

Other than those, I think it was probably mostly just avoiding things that just killed you flat-out. I might be mis-remembering, but didn't the cubicle farm area have a lot of people who would wander around on their hands and knees and basically kill you if they touched you? I think that may be around where I quit playing the first time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

There were occasional boss fights. I remember the spider/library boss in particular being dumb as hell because your character controls like a drunk hippo so while it wasn't a hard fight, per se, it was easy to die because you got caught on an obstacle or just happened to go the wrong direction for a second too long.

Other than those, I think it was probably mostly just avoiding things that just killed you flat-out. I might be mis-remembering, but didn't the cubicle farm area have a lot of people who would wander around on their hands and knees and basically kill you if they touched you? I think that may be around where I quit playing the first time.

I don't think there was anything that was a true one shot kill except for the super obvious one, but they did do enough damage that getting hit a few times would take you down. Its more that there were some cases where once you started getting hit you *kept* getting hit, so you tend to die quickly. High damage enemies and narrow corridors that require you to explore to find puzzle pieces don't match up super well. I definitely looked up a guide at a few points, since it got to the point where I was just frustrated. The real kicker is that I used guides because I legitimately wanted to find out what happened next in the story, the game maker style of gameplay was just annoying. Like those stupid gas mines, which aren't scary but just annoying to go around.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 7, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed Yuppie Psycho but it felt like they didn't really know what to do with the overall plot and I think got kinda unfocused towards the end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I enjoyed Yuppie Psycho but it felt like they didn't really know what to do with the overall plot and I think got kinda unfocused towards the end.

Imo the biggest problem with the end is that the main bad guy's existence was based around a system that wasn't really present throughout the game. The whole "your job is defined by your number in society and you can just take over an identity by stealing the number" thing was established in the very first scene but then transitioned to a more standard self contained corporate structure until the very end again.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't mean like film grain or whatever, there's just, IDK, a certain tone to what I've seen of Puppet Combo's stuff that I find offputting. Seems like a nice dude on Twitter though.

Now that you mention it I got Night of the Consumers in the Itch bundle so I think I'll check that out tonight, thanks!

Puppet Combo's stuff really shines in making you feel like there's more to the game than it seems. There isn't. But it comes off that way.

Like finding a random weird figurine moving around in Nun Massacre, your game crashing, and then that thing haunting your game from then on.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

The one thing I'd strongly recommend is if you're playing with a group of people you know, anybody who has the means to do so should do a gameplay capture. One of my friends recorded a couple of rounds for his YT channel and it was fun as hell going back to watch ourselves getting killed, or seeing just how much activity you might miss in any given game just because you happened to be in a different room for 30 seconds.
This was a great call. I've been experimenting with recording some sessions tonight. I'm thinking of making a compilation of us getting killed at some point.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoodBrightVultureFutureMan

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm getting a VR Headset soon and to be honest I'm getting it mostly for horror games

I hope VR Horror doesn't disappoint me :ohdear:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Five Nights in VR is truely terrifying, no joke.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
VR makes everything more unnerving because its to a scale that makes your brain go "oh no, gently caress that".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, that's the entire point of it, after all: a more immersive and intense experience than simply seeing something on a static screen. I imagine it would make a lot of things terrifying that otherwise wouldn't be.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, that's the entire point of it, after all: a more immersive and intense experience than simply seeing something on a static screen. I imagine it would make a lot of things terrifying that otherwise wouldn't be.

Yeah it makes absolute trash stream bait unity games effective as all hell.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

dogstile posted:

VR makes everything more unnerving because its to a scale that makes your brain go "oh no, gently caress that".

I did a Vive demo at a Microsoft store a couple of years ago, the one where you're standing on a sunken ship under the ocean and a blue whale comes by and checks you out? Consciously/intellectually/whatever I knew it was just a game but my low-level brain completely bought it and was going "there's something huge next to us, oh gently caress oh gently caress". Which is pretty goddamned cool!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Developing for VR really makes it apparent how blown out of scale traditional games have to be to make it feel right on 2D displays. Like Resident Evil 7's locations are built to room scale for believable VR but by comparison the Spencer mansion would be a world record for largest house.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a bit like camera work in a movie in that sense, I suppose. Looking right is a lot more important than being right.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the one big thing i've taken away from working at a VR studio for the past few years is that you really do have to take into account how the player interacts with everything. Other games you just have scenery that fine, gently caress it, whatever. Who cares if its static. Static poo poo in vr? Massive immersion breaker.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh I never had much problem with Yuppie Psycho's stealth/combat bosses because I'm used to the janky rpg maker horror game mechanics.

Well, the music and aethestic is neat and the dot matrix is one of my fave horror enemies in a while.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I'm looking for a recent indie game that takes place in an Asian school with possessed hall monitors you have to avoid, ring any bells?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lurker2006 posted:

I'm looking for a recent indie game that takes place in an Asian school with possessed hall monitors you have to avoid, ring any bells?
White Day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cardiovorax posted:

Nintendogs: VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That sounds like White Day except that game came out literally decades ago