Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Made it to the Scotty episode of TNG. What a sad, beautiful ep. I’m glad they didn’t run this idea into the ground and have Checkov show up to hassle Wesley too or whatever. Scotty is the perfect character to have an episode like this. And that TOS bridge set showing up is a great moment. I was worried I wouldn’t like this one but I think it’s one of my faves.

And this episode is from 1992. I bet this is what Doohan was going to film when Ben Stiller follows him around on the lot to be on The Ben Stiller Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Insurrection's story development went in some weird directions too, like if I remember right, at one point Picard and the TNG crew were leading a resistance on some planet against a combined Federation/Romulan task force bent on strip-mining the planet for the totally non-renewable, irreplaceable and consumable magic mineral behind all 24th-century medical supertech, and the end of the movie was going to be some grim last stand against hopeless odds. I might be mashing a couple of different proposals in there.

You kind of are. A lot of the early treatments had the Romulans as the villains (which Stewart haaaaated, as he found the Romulans boring as sin), and I think the "last stand at the Alamo" element was present when Data got whacked at the end of the second act. When they moved away from Data dying, that's when the Federation and Romulans were strip-mining the planet for unobtanium or whatever the gently caress.

quote:

I'm pretty sure that at at least one point Piller despaired of finding a story that would satisfy everyone (studio heads, Berman, Stewart) and thought about quitting. I wonder what Berman would have done in that event... my guess is he'd try to shove a truck of cash at Moore and Braga to try and convince them to do another movie, since my recollection is the reason Piller got stuck with it is because Moore and Braga declined to write another movie.

At that point, Braga was fully ensconced in running Voyager and developing Enterprise, and Moore was busy assisting Behr in running DS9; I doubt either would have been available. Maurice Hurley would have been a potential option, since Berman seemed to love the guy, and I imagine they would have made a run at Nick Meyer (since they approached him for Generations and Nemesis), but otherwise ... God only knows what would have happened, given Stewart's heretofore unprecedented level of creative control, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could have gotten a hand-picked writer to work on the movie (as he did, briefly, with First Contact).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

I feel there's no way items 2 and 3 would have gotten approval from Paramount.

"Could have been" and "should have been" aren't the same thing, though.

Any on-going story has "should have been" stories that would have been better, but weren't feasible for whatever reason. They never "could have been."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sash! posted:

"Could have been" and "should have been" aren't the same thing, though.

Any on-going story has "should have been" stories that would have been better, but weren't feasible for whatever reason. They never "could have been."

Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I can’t believe Ro, Guinan, Keiko, and Picard all go on shore leave together and we don’t get to see it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drink-Mix Man posted:

People have always said this and I disagree. TNG had nothing to do with that story, and TNG isn't supposed to be a war setting. It would have been weird and overly fannish.

If you have to do a war story with the TNG cast, do a twist on Yesterday's Enterprise or the universe where the Borg are conquering the Federation.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

Gene grew up in Los Angeles; I think Berman was a New Yorker who then went to the Midwest (went to college here in Wisconsin, as I recall) and then made his way to Hollywood.

I don't know why Starfleet Headquarters / the Academy were first established to be in San Francisco (this happened in The Motion Picture, as I recall). My guess is that even by the '70s, San Francisco had established itself as a hotbed of progressivism, science, technology and academic thought.

And now there's human feces on the streets. Ah, progress.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Timby posted:

I feel there's no way items 2 and 3 would have gotten approval from Paramount.

More to the point Berman didn't like DS9 and specifically it's war arc, which made it a non-starter to base anything in Insurrection on it. The war being a motivator for Picard's attitude in the movie never made it past the brainstorming level and "most people didn't watch that show and won't understand the reference" lead to dialogue about Worf losing his wife being removed

Honestly one of the more interesting things out of Piller's book is that yeah he had to deal with people like Stewart and Spiner making use of their newly increased creative control, but just stating it that way overlooks that Stewart and Spiner weren't wrong about many of the things they were complaining about! Stewart pretty much eviscerated Piller's first draft pitch and it was hard to disagree. It wasn't stuff like "I want to be handsome and shoot guns" but a lot of on point complaints - there were incompatible competing attitudes of Piller thinking he was giving people things they missed from the TNG days versus Stewart and Spiner pointing out these were lame retreads of tv show concepts that had been done before and done better, or scenarios the characters had developed past long ago. I'm pretty sure he called that first draft something like "reads like a late series two parter rather than a movie", so Piller's scope was just stuck in that zone all along.

The funniest thing they had to work around was some very high up person in the studio who usually didn't interject creatively but did in Star Trek's case because he was a fan thinking the original story was bad because if the choice was between 600 people or a medical resource important to trillians, siding with the 600 made Picard the one in the wrong

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

The dedication plaque on the TOS Enterprise says that she was built in San Francisco, I guess they just sorta extrapolated that from there for TMP?

And I think the assumption too is that the dry dock facilities in orbit are what is being referred to, with the orbital office complex/docks themselves either being named after San Francisco or in geostationary orbit above it? Since the only time we've ever seen a Trek ship actually being built on a ground-based shipyard was in JJTrek having it being built in the middle of an Iowa cornfield for some reason.

We did see a saucer being built on the ground at one point briefly on Mars.

Honestly, the shipbuilding situation that makes most sense is things like when the A was being built in Beyond where it's in a large spacebourne facility that's filled with air but you can still turn the gravity off. The Galaxy Class construction bay looked like maybe it was enclosed too:

I always thought that made some sense for what Spacedock was too, that there's a field at the doors and air inside.

And then drydock is for final outfitting or minor repairs.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
With all the stuff that goes down in Ten Forward I always want to see some buck wild poo poo happening in the background when they’re just having normal drinks. Like Geordi talking to an older version of himself or O’Brien is a baby or Guinan leg wrestling Q or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not quite that but I always thought they should've used focus in those scenes to have some really wierd loving aliens in the background just out of focus, with models that that would look terrible in focus on a weekly budget. Just have like a walking plant or an eight foot tall shiny black pyramid amble past in a Starfleet uniform while Geordi and Worf are chatting.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I was thinking that too. They must have tons of costumes around, why not slap a bumpy forehead or some tentacles on an extra and put them a table away for a scene

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Don't have to bother blending the makeup with the skin, just slather some poor fucker in terracotta colored foundation and throw ferengi ears on them. Hot glue a merkin to some poor woman's face and get yourself a Caitian.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want a recurring background character that's a potplant mounted on an RC car with a commbadge pinned to its leaves and strfleet-uniform-colored ribbons draped over it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

curiousTerminal posted:

Don't have to bother blending the makeup with the skin, just slather some poor fucker in terracotta colored foundation and throw ferengi ears on them.

For a moment I thought I was still in the GBS Trump thread talking about Rudy Guilianni

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Any of those alternate Insurrection plots would certainly make the title make more sense.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I want a recurring background character that's a potplant mounted on an RC car with a commbadge pinned to its leaves and strfleet-uniform-colored ribbons draped over it.

Basically stuff like that scene in the Orville pilot where Mercer runs through Yaphit should just be happening all the time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Unmature posted:

Basically stuff like that scene in the Orville pilot where Mercer runs through Yaphit should just be happening all the time

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just watched Tapestry. As lovely as Picard’s life is in that universe, I bet Sisko’s is a lot happier.

EDIT: And speak of the devil the next episode is at Deep Space Nine!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Unmature posted:

Just watched Tapestry. As lovely as Picard’s life is in that universe, I bet Sisko’s is a lot happier.

EDIT: And speak of the devil the next episode is at Deep Space Nine!

Q was very clear that nothing other than Picard's individual life changed so its likely that whoever was captain instead of him ended up as as Locutus.

Let's say Jellico.
Or Nechayev.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

8one6 posted:

Q was very clear that nothing other than Picard's individual life changed so its likely that whoever was captain instead of him ended up as as Locutus.

Let's say Jellico.
Or Nechayev.

Troi was wearing her old uniform which tells me it wasn’t Jellico

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

8one6 posted:

Let's say Jellico.
Or Nechayev.

Sisko of Borg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Admiral Hansen was controlling the fleet. Chunky Locutus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Let's say Jellico.
Or Nechayev.

Jellico would have assimilated the Borg instead.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

Let's say Jellico.
Or Nechayev.

That's also quite a dunk on Picard, that everything he has accomplished (and so presumably will ever accomplish) would have been done by someone else in his position.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

That's also quite a dunk on Picard, that everything he has accomplished (and so presumably will ever accomplish) would have been done by someone else in his position.

No that's not it. Picard isn't conventially time traveling, Q is specifically using his omnipotent powers to let Picard change his own past without anything else changing. It's a condition Picard demands in order to indulge Q and do things differently.

This is why it's one of the better versions of time travel in fiction because we instantly accept the premise that Q can manipulate reality with a snap of the fingers and if he says that paradoxes aren't a thing, well then paradoxes aren't a thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I liked that episode of Outlaw Star.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is it me or are they making a real effort in TNG season 6 to shoot the bridge in new ways? Maybe I just didn’t notice it in 5, but I feel like I’m seeing a lot of new angles like a POV shot from Geordi’s console and more steadicam stuff

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They definitely started to get a little more adventurous with the directing in the final seasons, yeah.

Speaking of, something changes in season 7 that I can’t quite put my finger on, aesthetically. The show looks and feels...emptier? Somehow cheaper?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's an official Star Trek Biden campaign fundraiser with like, Patrick Stewart and Kate mulgrew later this month

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Extremely choice that Jeri specifically is doing a Biden fundraiser. Soon she'll be partially responsible for both of the candidates on the '08/'12 ticket

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

No that's not it. Picard isn't conventially time traveling, Q is specifically using his omnipotent powers to let Picard change his own past without anything else changing. It's a condition Picard demands in order to indulge Q and do things differently.

This is why it's one of the better versions of time travel in fiction because we instantly accept the premise that Q can manipulate reality with a snap of the fingers and if he says that paradoxes aren't a thing, well then paradoxes aren't a thing.

Yeah, Tapestry pretty much gets the unimportant stuff out of the way to just have a good Picard episode. Q's happy to play this game and he has total control of things(he'd probably run afoul of the continuum anyway if he actually let Picard change history for real).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I love the Q reveal because when you’re binging the season it has the added layer of “Goddammit Q you were JUST here!”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

curiousTerminal posted:

Extremely choice that Jeri specifically is doing a Biden fundraiser. Soon she'll be partially responsible for both of the candidates on the '08/'12 ticket

If he wins, she'll have put Joe Biden in the White House twice now.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Long shot, but anyone know where I can listen to the legendary drunk commentary of Insurrection while watching a stream of the movie? I don't have the BluRay, but would love to listen to this over that shitshow...

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching ST09 for the first time in forever and man I used to like this movie a lot more. There’s still stuff I’m into like a lot about Kirk, Urban’s performance, and it looks nice. But goddamn what is up with Spock. He’s smirking and quipping all over the place. And he sounds like such a wiener.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

HD DAD posted:

They definitely started to get a little more adventurous with the directing in the final seasons, yeah.

Speaking of, something changes in season 7 that I can’t quite put my finger on, aesthetically. The show looks and feels...emptier? Somehow cheaper?

I honestly feel the lighting was just a little too oversaturated

It probably looked better on TV's of the time though

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I first noticed it in the jump from Time's Arrow, Part I and Part II. Part I looks like what you'd expect a normal TNG episode to look like, and then suddenly Part II has that weird, fuzzy, super bright white and Vaseline lens soap opera lighting that they used all throughout DS9.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As I continue my trip through season 7 of TNG, we get to an episode about forcibly removing the "North American Indians" from a colony.

:yikeseroo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Even more yikes was that was written to explain Chakotay’s backstory.