Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Video games are fuckin weird. I'm trying to imagine, like, a book publisher selling first drafts and outlines or like movie studios selling workprints with no vfx or post production. I get the idea of EA as a funding and testing mechanism, with the trade off being a reduced early-adopter price. I've bought into a few EA games myself. But the idea that the value is seen by a lot of folks as completely independent of the game being complete is honestly a bit mind-boggling to me.

The Lord of the Rings films were a bit like this. By the third film all the superfans were: "I can't wait to see the extended edition!" after seeing the theatrical cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's not that you're paying $60 for early access, it's a preorder for the full game that also gives early access.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Thanks everyone for all the comments. I'll give it a try - can always refund it if necessary, I guess :)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SirSamVimes posted:

It's not that you're paying $60 for early access, it's a preorder for the full game that also gives early access.
It should be cancellable/refundable at any point between now and release then, like a real preorder (which generally doesn't actually take your money until the game comes out). I don't actually have anything against what Larian is doing, and ultimately I think it will lead to a better game, but they really should be actively discouraging casual gamers from buying it at this stage and really making sure people understand that it's literally a half-broken in-progress build that's used to loop the community into the iteration of the game systems, and not a stable but evolving experience like Hades was, or Path of Exile in its early days. I see a lot of rageposting in the BG3 thread about bad design decisions, lost progress, broken systems, and it makes it seem like a lot of people didn't realize what they were signing up for.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SirSamVimes posted:

oh word?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirSamVimes posted:

I played a few hours last night and it owned. I might finish it, or just view it as a preorder I can play and put it away for a while.

I didn't particularly gel with DOS2 and so far I am enjoying the fairly coherent way they've mashed up D&D and larian style mechanics a lot more - being able to shove people to get out of engagement is great, for e.g. The face acting is really good, and the writing is neither po faced nor wacky so far.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Anyone playing The Solitaire Conspiracy? Looks like a really neat idea

I played it/beat the campaign, and it was a fun way to spend a few hours. It's super easy though, so I don't know how much replay value it's going to have other than loving around for a few minutes here and there maybe.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

... and really making sure people understand that it's literally a half-broken in-progress build...

That's why there's the giant EARLY ACCESS GAME banner on the Steam page. Like what more do you want, honestly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Let me know if I’m stretching here but maybe a lot of people actually do like the games Larian has made recently.

Yeah they've been around for ages but the Original Sin games really blew up for them. I imagine there's a fair chunk of people grabbing BG3 because it's Larian and they have a proven track record.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been enjoying the fact that they've been injecting a bit of Original Sin into 5e for BG3. Do you like surfaces? Because your spells are going to make surfaces.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That's largely why it's on my radar, yea.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean if people are THAT mad about it, they dont have to buy it. Just wait.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Didn't they do the exact same thing for Original Sin 2?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Det_no posted:

Didn't they do the exact same thing for Original Sin 2?

I wanna say that they did, but it was on a discount at launch?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I wanna say that they did, but it was on a discount at launch?

No, it just wasn’t a $60 game to begin with. And a lot of people who played EA got the game even cheaper by backing it through Kickstarter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The thing that made me like DOS2 was the intricate puzzle combat so replacing that with D&D 5e is unfortunately making it essentially an unproven track record, for me. The roleplaying was fine in DOS2 but not something I'd have paid full price for without the combat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like Steam's newest demofest is starting. Any new standouts from this one?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The thing that made me like DOS2 was the intricate puzzle combat so replacing that with D&D 5e is unfortunately making it essentially an unproven track record, for me. The roleplaying was fine in DOS2 but not something I'd have paid full price for without the combat.

I read somewhere that the game still has the concept of "Surfaces" like in Original Sin 1+2, so it should still in some way be similar I think

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

Sounds like Steam's newest demofest is starting. Any new standouts from this one?

Did Webbed have a demo up before?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sab669 posted:

I read somewhere that the game still has the concept of "Surfaces" like in Original Sin 1+2, so it should still in some way be similar I think

This is correct and even cantrip level spells leave surfaces behind

You can also dip your weapons in them as a bonus action.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I found a game for people who think ACE Team is too milquetoast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtUwLb0wfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlHjUTSryeE
https://store.steampowered.com/app/701670/Krotruvink/

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Chad Jihad posted:

I mean yeah if some author I liked was selling the first draft of his book and was taking feedback on it I would buy it

Isn't that basically how The Martian was written? It was just free chapters on a website with people giving input and eventually it was sold for real money as a finished package.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

the problem is that a lot of games from the previous demofests have still not released yet so they're still a part of the festival

there's some cute new stuff i'm seeing though like fire tonight, bonfire peaks, land of screens, wavebreak, black skylands, aeon drive, f.i.s.t., pumpkin jack, mail mole, pixel puzzle makeout league, weaving tides, star seeker

and GONNER 2

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Sequels are just too slow of an iteration process for digital age, bring Star Traders Frontiers level of speed of weekly updates to my news feed.
I don't even play those games but I get a dopamine hit when reading updatelogs and saying internally "oh they fixed that", to be frankly it's the only way I can feel something in these days

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Larian can pull it off because they have a strong pedigree of making rather detailed RPGs and have delivered many, many games in the past. Experiencing part of that process and maybe even influencing it a bit may also be a strong selling point.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'll just wait until it's done, like I usually do. I really, really enjoyed D:OS2, so I'm looking forward to the finished product (BG3). I'm the kind of person that will wait for an Enhanced Edition update at times.

Phasmophobia was one of those rare exceptions that seems to have paid off. I definitely feel like I already had my money's worth with the $13.99 asking price. Good co-op fun. Do not play that game if you have severe anxiety.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Consensus on Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor: Martyr: The Game is that it's not great, but still pretty good, and worth it at 70%, yes? No?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I heard in BG3 trading prices are based on the Charisma of the character you're using to initiate the trade, rather than your party just having the benefit of a high Charisma character passively. And that you need to manually put items into your party members' personal inventories for them to be able to use them.

Is this at all accurate? If so,

lol

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Xarbala posted:

I heard in BG3 trading prices are based on the Charisma of the character you're using to initiate the trade, rather than your party just having the benefit of a high Charisma character passively. And that you need to manually put items into your party members' personal inventories for them to be able to use them.

lol

That was how Original Sin 2 worked, IIRC.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xarbala posted:

lol

Sounds exactly like the D:OS system, also the whole way merchants work is mind numbingly stupid. For D:OS1 the strategy was to steal every piece of artwork you could and dump it on vendors with your "face" character to essentially print money for anything you need.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Black Griffon posted:

Consensus on Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor: Martyr: The Game is that it's not great, but still pretty good, and worth it at 70%, yes? No?
Yeah. It was a mess at launch but it's fine now. It has an unusually long story campaign for an ARPG, maybe 30-40 hours and it's very enjoyable 40K fare with great lore, art, and sound design.

I got bored of it because your skill bar is dictated in most cases by your weapons and the weapons are very boring here compared to Diablo 3 or Path of Exile. You're not going to get a gun that spits homing skulls or meteors or a huge talent tree of active abilities to switch out. Your first heavy bolter feels cool, and the heavy bolter you use 50 hours later will have the exact same ability bar with maybe 15% to critical hit or something boring poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Azran posted:

That was how Original Sin 2 worked, IIRC.

pentyne posted:

Sounds exactly like the D:OS system, also the whole way merchants work is mind numbingly stupid. For D:OS1 the strategy was to steal every piece of artwork you could and dump it on vendors with your "face" character to essentially print money for anything you need.

lol

Well at least Larian's fans know what they're getting into. Baldur's Gate fans maybe not so much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xarbala posted:

lol

Well at least Larian's fans know what they're getting into. Baldur's Gate fans maybe not so much.

BG fans are familiar with AD&D2, they're immune to stupid rules and systems

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Xarbala posted:

lol

Yeah, back when I played D:OS2 I was just dumbfounded by some of the design choices in general. For example I'd sometimes reload because I'd walk past a conversation trigger and an NPC would pick the wrong character to talk to. I appreciated how Pillars of Eternity 2 did it, where everyone else's skill points are added as a bonus to yours for that game's equivalent of group checks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

BG fans are familiar with AD&D2, they're immune to stupid rules and systems

:hmmyes: good point

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Azran posted:

Yeah, back when I played D:OS2 I was just dumbfounded by some of the design choices in general. For example I'd sometimes reload because I'd walk past a conversation trigger and an NPC would pick the wrong character to talk to. I appreciated how Pillars of Eternity 2 did it, where everyone else's skill points are added as a bonus to yours for that game's equivalent of group checks.
Also the shared inventory with smaller individual inventories for things that you specifically want a particular character to be carrying. So convenient. POE2 had some really good design decisions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xarbala posted:

:hmmyes: good point

what's a hit for a thac0 of -2 for a AC of -11?

What about if they have +3AC against slashing?

-2 against piercing?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I wanna say that the co-op aspect affected some of that design decision stuff in D:OS2. I'm not 100% sure of that though. Some of it is mitigated through the Gift Bags, I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pentyne posted:

what's a hit for a thac0 of -2 for a AC of -11?

What about if they have +3AC against slashing?

-2 against piercing?
For all the bad decisions that 3rd Edition made, cleaning up that nonsense into something that is actually comprehensible was one of the best things it ever did. I absolutely have no idea how to answer any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Xarbala posted:

lol
That's actually how Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 worked also. Sell prices were not effected by charisma IIRC but buy prices were determined by the charisma of whatever party member talked to the merchant. So if your leader was a warrior you probably wanted the bard to do the buying. It also lead to the same dumb fiddly mechanics like casting "Friends" or putting on a charisma ring then immediately switching it out for something useful in combat right after shopping.