Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nvm its online too I just hadn't checked

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-northern-fish-short-sleeve-shirt-for-men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
thanks!

Planet X fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 28, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Planet X posted:

Somewhere between a M and L, probably M. I'm 5'7, 160ish. What size did you get?

I think I found it, this it?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-northern-fish-short-sleeve-shirt-for-men

Yeah peep the post above, thats the one. While I will continually mourn the disappearance of lifetime warranteed cabelas products of actual quality, ive been having good luck with their clearance fishing clothing

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Farking Bastage posted:

He did. Taught me a lot over the years before he lost his poo poo one day and shot my mom in the face point blank with a .44 magnum.

King of Bees posted:

gently caress, i havent gone on a bird hunt in almost twenty years :(

Dude, read the room.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

Dude, read the room.

Didnt see that post! Sorry if i came off callous, not intended.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

Ooo poo poo, take some pics

Of the rod, St. Croix store or hunting?

I didn't take any pics in the store since it wasn't terribly interesting. No B-grade fly rods which is what I was in the market for so I had to pay full price :(

DSCF6364 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

DSCF6358 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Hunting pics are here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933080&pagenumber=5#post508483822

Today I went on a guided smallmouth fly fishing trip on the Kankakee River in northern IL. It was a great day - caught my largest freshwater fish of any sort by far, plus two other good size SMBs and a few smaller ones.

Kankakee Smallmouth by charliebravo77, on Flickr

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Another great day on mille lacs last week. Started the day off a bit slow, it rained overnight and was super foggy until about noon, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

But the evening bite picked up big time, I think we boated ~25 fish for the day, and about 15 of those came in a 30-40 minute timeframe on the same rock pile.

Slip bobbers and sucker minnows were the weapon of choice, and I dare you goons to find a more fun way to fish for big smallies than that!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Your fish pics are beautiful and seeing them while trapped at work is absolute torture.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Your fish pics are beautiful and seeing them while trapped at work is absolute torture.

Mille Lacs is just an unreal fishery man, it’s tough to even fathom. They’ve done a decent job catering to Muskie and smallmouth guys the last few years, but it’s a place where you have a legit shot at:

28+” walleye
50+” Muskie
22”+ smallmouth
40”+ northern pike

But anyone within a few hours of the lake just complains that they can’t keep a billion walleye for their freezer and blames it on the ‘natives’.

Meanwhile, totally average at best fishermen like me are more than happy to slip bobber for trophy smallmouth with a gigantic rear end grin on my face the whole time.

I just hope the walleye fiasco continues for a few years and maybe I can snatch up a cabin on the lake for cheap :).

The best and worst thing mille lacs gas going for it is that it’s only a ~1.5 hour drive from Minneapolis.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If you drive by Garrison to your fishing spot, that walleye statue is a national treasure and belongs in this thread. Edit, because look at this thing:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7821

And oh gosh does everyone like to complain about native treaty fishing rights.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Also those are really nice smallies!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

crazypeltast52 posted:

If you drive by Garrison to your fishing spot, that walleye statue is a national treasure and belongs in this thread. Edit, because look at this thing:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7821

And oh gosh does everyone like to complain about native treaty fishing rights.

Haha it’s incredible!

And man, those natives really get all the good stuff don’t they!

I know that I personally would give up my white, middle class upbringing, complete with gigantic safety net from my moderately successful parents, in a heartbeat if it meant I got ‘special’ privileges from our government to net some walleye.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

As soon as a white guy starts complaining about Native fishing rights I appreciate it because it lets me know not to spend any amount of time with them. Yes, blame some of the most powerless people in the country, who have had everything taken from them, for the lower salmon runs and not the fact that the oceans are warmer than they used to be. loving idiots.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

As soon as a white guy starts complaining about Native fishing rights I appreciate it because it lets me know not to spend any amount of time with them. Yes, blame some of the most powerless people in the country, who have had everything taken from them, for the lower salmon runs and not the fact that the oceans are warmer than they used to be. loving idiots.

Amen brother!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

loving preach. I was stuck at a cabin last year with some dude that was saying that it was the Ojibwe's fault for all the walleye fuckery going on. I stopped talking to him the first day of a four day weekend.

Also former racist co-worker who didn't know poo poo about fishing so I would just troll him at work.

Mukulu fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 1, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Mukulu posted:

loving preach. I was stuck at a cabin last year with some dude that was saying that it was the Ojibwe's fault for all the walleye fuckery going on. I stopped talking to him the first day of a four day weekend.

Also former racist co-worker who didn't know poo poo about fishing so I would just troll him at work.

Man, this is such a refreshing forum to be on. I posted a lot on in-depthoutdoors.com, which has a wealth of information on walleye fishing.

But man is it full of far-right sportsmen who are just blatantly racist and stupid. So many topics complaining about Native American fishing rights, Colin kaepernick ‘disrespecting’ the troops, COVID is a hoax, etc.

I finally got banned when the owner, James Holst, posted that ‘Donald Trump is the best thing to happen to this country. And I’d crawl through broken glass to vote for him again’, all while people argued (and still argue) that COVID isn’t a big deal.

They make a really good fishing show, but man is their forum a cesspool.

If Biden wins I’m going to just blast that forum with a bunch of throwaway accounts, it will be awesome.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Man, this is such a refreshing forum to be on. I posted a lot on in-depthoutdoors.com, which has a wealth of information on walleye fishing.

But man is it full of far-right sportsmen who are just blatantly racist and stupid. So many topics complaining about Native American fishing rights, Colin kaepernick ‘disrespecting’ the troops, COVID is a hoax, etc.

I finally got banned when the owner, James Holst, posted that ‘Donald Trump is the best thing to happen to this country. And I’d crawl through broken glass to vote for him again’, all while people argued (and still argue) that COVID isn’t a big deal.

They make a really good fishing show, but man is their forum a cesspool.

If Biden wins I’m going to just blast that forum with a bunch of throwaway accounts, it will be awesome.

I loathe that forum and I have been banned myself. I've actually met one of the admins on the St. Croix (Jekab or whatever - the sturgeon guy) and he is exactly how you imagine behind closed doors.

I hate right-wing "sportsmen" with a passion. One of my biggest gripes in particular with Minnesota anglers is the animosity they hold for both Native American and Hmong anglers. Share the loving resource.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mukulu posted:

I loathe that forum and I have been banned myself. I've actually met one of the admins on the St. Croix (Jekab or whatever - the sturgeon guy) and he is exactly how you imagine behind closed doors.

I hate right-wing "sportsmen" with a passion. One of my biggest gripes in particular with Minnesota anglers is the animosity they hold for both Native American and Hmong anglers. Share the loving resource.

I'm not from Minnesota, but a couple of my favorite fishing spots in Arkansas always seem to have a handful of Hmong people around. Those people embody the spirit of fishing waaaaay more than most anglos. I pretty quickly figured out that if you see a few Hmong folks fishing by the dam, you should probably hang about and see what they're getting. If you see a couple Hmong families, you need to get lines in the water right now.

I've got a buddy from the Minneapolis area, and for a few years he was getting wrong number texted by a Hmong lady who would take her son fishing and send the pictures to granny. Ever few months there would be this new picture of Richard holding a sunny with a big ol grin. He never corrected the mistake because it was such a great little surprise.

Welp that's my story about Hmong and fish k bye.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That is super wholesome! More fishing for everyone!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My favorite Minnesota-ism is anglers who say,

“All the panfish are stunted around here, if more people kept the small ones it would improve the size structure of the these panfish fisheries.’

And then five seconds later will say, ‘have you seen all those small fish the Hmongs throw in their buckets? It’s ridiculous! They are even keeping the fish we don’t want in our lakes like carp and small northern! They are monsters!’

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm not from Minnesota, but a couple of my favorite fishing spots in Arkansas always seem to have a handful of Hmong people around. Those people embody the spirit of fishing waaaaay more than most anglos. I pretty quickly figured out that if you see a few Hmong folks fishing by the dam, you should probably hang about and see what they're getting. If you see a couple Hmong families, you need to get lines in the water right now.

I've got a buddy from the Minneapolis area, and for a few years he was getting wrong number texted by a Hmong lady who would take her son fishing and send the pictures to granny. Ever few months there would be this new picture of Richard holding a sunny with a big ol grin. He never corrected the mistake because it was such a great little surprise.

Welp that's my story about Hmong and fish k bye.

Hmong people are awesome and very enthusiastic anglers! I was fishing next to some Hmong teenagers a few weeks ago and we were all slamming fish. A lot of thumbs up between us.

DoctaFun posted:

My favorite Minnesota-ism is anglers who say,

“All the panfish are stunted around here, if more people kept the small ones it would improve the size structure of the these panfish fisheries.’

And then five seconds later will say, ‘have you seen all those small fish the Hmongs throw in their buckets? It’s ridiculous! They are even keeping the fish we don’t want in our lakes like carp and small northern! They are monsters!’

This.... this hits way too close. I've heard that poo poo so much.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Ahh, Minnesota. The other bastion of the Hmong people.

I'm from the Central Valley of CA, we have a huge Hmong population there.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

Ahh, Minnesota. The other bastion of the Hmong people.

I'm from the Central Valley of CA, we have a huge Hmong population there.

I kinda wish we had more of that enthusiasm here. Not much for shorefishing so in the summer it's all walleye boats that cost more than my house. In the winter though it's equal opportunity to freeze your rear end off and not catch fish.

Snowflakes forecast tonight. My icefishing gear is calling...

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mukulu posted:

Hmong people are awesome and very enthusiastic anglers! I was fishing next to some Hmong teenagers a few weeks ago and we were all slamming fish. A lot of thumbs up between us.

This.... this hits way too close. I've heard that poo poo so much.
I think there is a generational aspect to it, though. The original Hmong immigrants to Minnesota weren't very respectful of fishing limits or private property, at least in my rural Minnesota hometown. That caused a lot of friction 30-40 years ago. Now, most of the Hmong you see around in Minnesota are US citizens born and raised here. They know the laws and stuff and get their parents and grandparents to follow them.

They are enthusiastic and prolific fishermen, though. Although if you see a family all spread out on the dam, they're just as likely catching brown bullheads as they are walleye or perch.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Got a Sunday permit for RMNP, I decided to forego the tough all day hikes to hit a few lakes I'd never fished in. Tons of beautiful trout that are either not hungry or real jerks or both.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks amazing as usual. What side did you go in on? One set of grandparents lived in Estes, the other set had a cabin on Lake Granby, so I've been there once or twice.

I took a afternoon recon mission to one of the 11 lakes in Oregon named Lost Lake on Saturday. This one is fairly small but allegedly has some decent fishing. I'm pretty sure I was not actually prepared to catch anything but I walked around the lake and checked poo poo out, then cast a few lures out. I had intended on taking my float tube out, but couldn't find the right adapter to inflate it so I said gently caress it and just went bank fishing. Was planning on camping this weekend, but it's looking like rain again, which is loving great, but we're still under a fire ban in all the spots I'd want to go and I'm not that into rain camping without a fire. So I might just have to head up to Trillium to see if I can find some late season rainbows or something.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Estes side. I've only done poo poo on the western side in the winter when I'd rent a cabin up near there, or driven through it via trail ridge.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

DeesGrandpa posted:

Estes side. I've only done poo poo on the western side in the winter when I'd rent a cabin up near there, or driven through it via trail ridge.

Trout seem to be spawning right now. You can get the occasional bite, but a lot in the shallows are jockeying for a site or harassing females. Along Boulder Creek, the Eagle, and some of the higher lakes in Arapahoe NF that seems to be the thing. Early morning strikes were on nymphs and occasional big terrestrials, but by 10-11 everything was dead. Occasional hits, but way fewer and farther between.

You can provoke aggression strikes with a stick bait or an articulated streamer, though. Had success switching that direction.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Hi goons, I want to go fishing. I loved to fish as a kid although I had extremely limited opportunities to do so. Had a cheap spinner combo and later a baitcaster and got a kick out of every largemouth I caught... all three of them :haw: I went dove hunting a couple weeks ago, and as a result I now have a Texas combo license. Add to that a drive-on beach 90 minutes away, and a real need to get outside and away from a drat computer, so why not?

More specifically, I want to fish Galveston Bay and/or the Texas Gulf coast for speckled trout, redfish, and whatever else bites. I have no boat, no guide, and while I'd love to fish with friends, and have friends who would probably love to go, they don't fish and it would be me taking them rather than vice versa. So I think step one would be to get comfortable on my own. Plus I would love to take my kid in a few years when he's old enough. I've been doing some reading on local tides/weather/fishing patterns but I think I need a sanity check. Question time!

I assume the various piers around here are turbo crowded and they don't really interest me anyways, unless there is a good reason to start there. Would a 10ft pole and 6000 spinning reel with 12-14lb test be the right choice for surf and jetties? Is it worth getting a shorter/lighter rod+reel combo too (specifically for shore saltwater/bay fishing, I'll probably pick up a cheap combo for the various stocked ponds closer to home)?

e: upon further research, it sounds like a 7' or 7'6" pole might be closer to what I need

Etiquette - how close is too close to other anglers on the beach?

Should I stick to circular barbless hooks? I want to try out both bait and lures so when should I use what?

Gear: rod, reel, cooler, sunscreen+hat, chair, stringer(?), pliers, diagonal cutters, first aid kit, maybe a couple buckets. What not-obvious things am I forgetting?

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 7, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Discussion Quorum posted:

Gear: rod, reel, cooler, sunscreen+hat, chair, stringer(?), pliers, diagonal cutters, first aid kit, maybe a couple buckets. What not-obvious things am I forgetting?

Beer and weed

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I view beer as an integral part of any self-respecting cooler :colbert:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I assume the various piers around here are turbo crowded and they don't really interest me anyways, unless there is a good reason to start there.
Your assumptions are correct, but the people on the pier are usually very helpful. That's a completely different sort of fishing from any other, though.

Would a 10ft pole and 6000 spinning reel with 12-14lb test be the right choice for surf and jetties? Is it worth getting a shorter/lighter rod+reel combo too (specifically for shore saltwater/bay fishing, I'll probably pick up a cheap combo for the various stocked ponds closer to home)?

e: upon further research, it sounds like a 7' or 7'6" pole might be closer to what I need
7' is a bit short for shore beach/bay fishing. 7'6-8' is the sweet spot, imho. 6000 spinning reel is a good starting one. 5000 is fine too.

Etiquette - how close is too close to other anglers on the beach?
As much as possible, but it depends on how busy it is. 30m is a good distance.

Should I stick to circular barbless hooks? I want to try out both bait and lures so when should I use what?
To start, use bait on barbed circkle hooks. Size 4 or 6 with shrimp, Size 0 or 2 with live bait.

It depends on if you're keeping fish or not. I usually just take small tackle box, a pair of surf rods, and a sand flea rake, along with a chair and sunscreen. If you're using live bait, add in a bucket with an aerator. Needlenose pliers are always useful. If you're keeping fish, bring a cooler and ice. Saltwater ice bath is the best way to both euthanize and keep fish fresh.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Picked up one of these dudes to replace my three smaller boxes that were all stolen, woo! Sad that my license (and gf's license) were in one of those, so no more fishing for the year :(

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Picked up one of these dudes to replace my three smaller boxes that were all stolen, woo! Sad that my license (and gf's license) were in one of those, so no more fishing for the year :(
You can get a replacement license for a small fee in every state I've bought a fishing license.

Also, your fishing license is tied to your driver's license, so conservation officers can check to see if you have a valid license by your driver's license. They might still write you a ticket for not having the license on you, but that's unlikely and very minor compared to fishing without a license.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

You can get a replacement license for a small fee in every state I've bought a fishing license.

Also, your fishing license is tied to your driver's license, so conservation officers can check to see if you have a valid license by your driver's license. They might still write you a ticket for not having the license on you, but that's unlikely and very minor compared to fishing without a license.

Yeah, I'm in CA so it's $12 a pop to have em replaced, plus an additional $3ish for the salt stamp. Just going to work on re-stocking the tackle box for the remaining two months of
the year in quarantine.

e: where does one buy a dick spoon these days?

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 8, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Ohio has an app so you can have your permits digitally, worth seeing if your state also has something similar.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

koboldsworkshop.com

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Yeah, I'm in CA so it's $12 a pop to have em replaced, plus an additional $3ish for the salt stamp. Just going to work on re-stocking the tackle box for the remaining two months of
the year in quarantine.

If you buy your license online, they email you a digital copy. I've been stopped by DFW before and shown it and they had no issue.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

If you buy your license online, they email you a digital copy. I've been stopped by DFW before and shown it and they had no issue.

I did, no email only the "print now" thing at the end of the transaction. Only email I have is the receipts for the last few years. Unfortunately, I carried the printed temp licenses in my bag before the real licenses showed up and those are gone too heh. Even on DFW's site when I log in the only thing I can reprint is the receipt.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

joem83 posted:

I didn't know they allowed you to fish during stopovers at DFW. Although if any airport had a bass pond, it would definitely be in Texas.