Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Given Riker was a reworking of Decker from the old Star Trek Phase 2 concept, I don't really think he was there intentionally as a failsafe, although they would have used him that way if they had to.

Like how Best of Both Worlds part 1 was written with no planned way to bring Picard back since the studio and Stewart were in strained contract negotiations at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seemlar posted:

I never really questioned or was bothered by Spock's attitude in those movies because it's taking place in an entirely different universe that is basically off-kilter because of history changing, even if they don't look at the camera and point out why Spock is different the way you get to see for Kirk. Even not really developing beyond that in the second movie was fine because Vulcans end up a hair away from extinction and his future self tells him what amounts to "you do you, I'll handle the being a Vulcan stuff". But ultimately I do think Quinto just wouldn't have the range to eventually change into something more balanced, he's just limited.

Peck is a drastically better Spock, both in that I can actually hear things Nimoy would have said in his voice and mannerisms, and his portrayal actually adds to Spock meaningfully as a character overall. I honestly couldn't say what Quinto's brought to the character beyond "it's someone playing Spock". The only real sticking point about Peck is he really does look better as bearded Spock.

Plus Peck is nowhere near his potential for Peak :spock: He was only in half the season, he was mentally hosed up a lot of the time, and he's supposed to be a few years younger than we saw him in TOS S1.

Looking forward to him at ease in his role as an officer under Pike and getting closer to the Spock we knew and loved. As good as Peck was, he's been doing it with one hand tied behind his back and in SNW he should really be able to do some great stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

The idea in the show bible is that Riker would do away missions and have adventures and generally be the cool and sexy one, while Picard would be the wise commanding dad who never leaves the bridge.

There was meant to be this three-generation concept between Picard, Riker and Wesley where they were the same person at different stages all mentoring each other.

(Not literally the same person, I should clarify, since this is Star Trek)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

There was meant to be this three-generation concept between Picard, Riker and Wesley where they were the same person at different stages all mentoring each other.

(Not literally the same person, I should clarify, since this is Star Trek)

That is a very cool idea if Wesley didn’t suck total rear end

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Early bridge plans mark her as 'sociologist', which makes more sense why she's there - I think the idea was that they'd be playing more into aliens could be weird and have strange psychology and her job is to advise the captain during encounters about that, but it didn't come off well in execution.

Yeah, this is what I wish they had pushed her more into. The Ent-D's mission is generally exploration and discovery, would make a hell of a lot of sense to have some kind of cultural expert on the senior staff who is good at both understanding cultures the Federation knows and can help interpret cultures they discover. You see a little bit of this in the show - like in Darmok, she and Data try to work together to figure out how to communicate. Troi's best episode is probably Face of the Enemy, and her being some kind of cultural expert would make a lot of sense there - she is kidnapped because she could adapt and blend better as a Romulan.

In this role, her empath abilities make a lot more sense, and could probably have been used more without having to write around them.

The problem was that Picard kind of got the whole anthropology/culture interest, and then Data was used to spout off any facts or research on specific cultures, so Deanna was just there to make her vague observations outside of specific episodes where her role was to be mentally or physically violated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A sociologist examining cultures would also kinda be redundant to the overall dramatic structure of the episodes. Would she just do the exposition instead of the aliens speaking for themselves? Or would she be the one asking them questions and they would exposition to her as an extra relay point between the rest of the crew?

Like Stargate can do it because O'Neil and Teal'c are unempathetic jarheads mostly uninterested in weird alien cultures so Daniel has a real purpose doing all the work of dealing with the specifics of alien cultures on his own, but Star Trek has the entire crew interested in the aliens of the day, because that's the entire point of the show.

Unmature posted:

That is a very cool idea if Wesley didn’t suck total rear end

Wesley had his issues, but I think the worst way to finish off his character was for a creepy adult to take him under his wing and whisk him off to another plane of existence never to be seen again without ever telling his parent or crewmates. I guess say hi to Sisko when he gets there.

Also kinda ruins the dynamics of the entire episode because the main native american character pleading their case was a weird alien pretending to be one of them and when he vanishes, the episode is just resolved offscreen.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Man the first ten minutes of Into Darkness rule. But now I have to watch the rest of the movie.

Wait forty-two people died in that giant London explosion?

I think Quinto still isn’t great but he’s doing better in this movie. At least he stopped smirking in every goddamn shot.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 8, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Unmature posted:

Man the first ten minutes of Into Darkness rule. But now I have to watch the rest of the movie.

Wait forty-two people died in that giant London explosion?

I think Quinto still isn’t great but he’s doing better in this movie. At least he stopped smirking in every goddamn shot.

someone pointed out in the modern trek thread (i think) that most trek since 9/11 has depicted some new mass casualty event

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Crusader posted:

someone pointed out in the modern trek thread (i think) that most trek since 9/11 has depicted some new mass casualty event

I just can’t believe it was that low. It looked like half of downtown London exploded

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusader posted:

Well mass casualty events are practically compulsory in the action genre.

And since adventure isn't a genre any more and Hollywood has to apply the standard setups to everything, it got shunted into action and all of the action writing standards were applied to it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Well mass casualty events are practically compulsory in the action genre.

And since adventure isn't a genre any more and Hollywood has to apply the standard setups to everything, it got shunted into action and all of the action writing standards were applied to it.

Yeah we just saw the scene of Scotty telling Kirk they’re on a military mission and no longer explorers and I was like “...Yeah :(

My fiancée just said “you know all those episodes we’ve seen where they go to another universe where everything is bad and dark? That’s what this is like”

God this is just a chain of basic action scenes. Jumping through space is alright but Jesus Christ have a conversation about something more than who’s bad and who’s good please

I forgot about the Super 9/11 in San Francisco

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 8, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

To this day Into Darkness is the one Trek thing I haven't given a chance.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Manhunt, gently caress whoever thought that double entendre was clever, actually gently caress all Lwaxana episodes, she is an awful character, going so low as to hit Weasley. It was entertaining to watch how uncomfortable Picard gets under what can best described as the female gaze. There is also scene where Deanna and Riker explain to Picard that Lwaxana's libido was going through the roof because of Betazoid menopause, that is so so bad, but in a really entertaining way because of how bad the writing is and Marina Sirtis delivery coming off like an embarrassed teenager and the whole time Jonathan Frakes has the most horn dog poo poo eating grin I have ever scene. This whole episode feels like 40 minutes of Gene Roddenberry asking if you want to gently caress his wife.

Roddenberry really liked bring up sex in the early episodes of TNG, the episode where Weasley is sentenced to death for walking on the lawn has the tone of late night Cinemax. The line where Warf tells Riker Klingons have ruff sex is delivered so causally, and now that I think about the writers are very consistent about that point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

side_burned posted:

Roddenberry really liked bring up sex in the early episodes of TNG, the episode where Weasley is sentenced to death for walking on the lawn has the tone of late night Cinemax. The line where Warf tells Riker Klingons have ruff sex is delivered so causally, and now that I think about the writers are very consistent about that point.

There's a great bit later where Worf says he isn't seeing anyone in the Enterprise because humans are all too fragile and Guinan basically laughs and tells him he has no idea what some of the women on the ship are like. :whip:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

MikeJF posted:

There's a great bit later where Worf says he isn't seeing anyone in the Enterprise because humans are all too fragile and Guinan basically laughs and tells him he has no idea what some of the women on the ship are like. :whip:

There's a whole speech he gives about Klingon courtship involving men with live poems and ladies beating them up. Still makes me grin when I hear it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Guinan revelation is interesting because we do get an example of this later with Worf and Dax, who apparently both require medical attention after sex, and yet the Humans Guinan refers to would apparently find this "tame". Like, wtf how extreme has BDSM gotten in a post-scarcity sosialist utopia?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

thotsky posted:

The Guinan revelation is interesting because we do get an example of this later with Worf and Dax, who apparently both require medical attention after sex, and yet the Humans Guinan refers to would apparently find this "tame". Like, wtf how extreme has BDSM gotten in a post-scarcity sosialist utopia?

You really think all those people in sickbay were getting treatment from "holodeck skiing accidents"?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

You really think all those people in sickbay were getting treatment from "holodeck skiing accidents"?

That certainly paints O'Brien and Bashir's holosuite injuries in a new light.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A.o.D. posted:

That certainly paints O'Brien and Bashir's holosuite injuries in a new and obvious light.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Who topped who?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO Bashir is the top

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

IMO Bashir is the top

So's Keiko so this makes sense.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

thotsky posted:

She wasn't necessarily referring to humans though. (Unless she did and I forgot)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drone posted:

So's Keiko so this makes sense.
Yeah I could see that she’s really into pegging

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Keiko wears the pants, and the strapon

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Very interesting when Keiko is possessed by a demon O'Brien initially brushes it off as roleplay

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, Janeway is returning in that Nickelodeon animated Star Trek show that's apparently still happening

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"returns as Captain" so wait either she committed a war crime so bad (yet beneficial) that she got demoted, or didn't commit enough war crimes to remain admiral :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She wasn’t nearly corrupt enough

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wesley had his issues, but I think the worst way to finish off his character was for a creepy adult to take him under his wing and whisk him off to another plane of existence never to be seen again without ever telling his parent or crewmates. I guess say hi to Sisko when he gets there.

Also kinda ruins the dynamics of the entire episode because the main native american character pleading their case was a weird alien pretending to be one of them and when he vanishes, the episode is just resolved offscreen.

they didnt call them native americans for reasons and they called them indians, it is super weird to rewatch

in DS9 Dax mentions learning a Hopi ritual from a maquis or something and that is done more tasteful

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

"returns as Captain" so wait either she committed a war crime so bad (yet beneficial) that she got demoted, or didn't commit enough war crimes to remain admiral :v:

I’m thinking it’s just PR-speak. Most people know her more as “Captain Janeway” rather than “Admiral Janeway”. We’ll see though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I hope it’s teen Janeway

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope it’s lizard Janeway from Threshold

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I hope it’s Mike Janeway

https://youtu.be/sZLcIpbOHIU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Emergency Command Janeway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Emergency Command Janeway.

The hologram Chief from Carmen Sandiego is the captain on Lower Decks. It wouldn't surprise me if we get straight up Holo Janeway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

side_burned posted:

Well now it's canon that Riker and Troi regularly swing thank you lower decks.

I mean it does fit perfectly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Well now it's canon that Riker and Troi regularly swing thank you lower decks.

I mean it does fit perfectly.

Every new thing post-TNG to come out about them makes them seem cool as poo poo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Every new thing post-TNG to come out about them makes them seem cool as poo poo.

Recommending the book Imzadi again which is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

No Luck Needed posted:

they didnt call them native americans for reasons and they called them indians, it is super weird to rewatch

in DS9 Dax mentions learning a Hopi ritual from a maquis or something and that is done more tasteful

Indian is the generally preferred term by the people themselves; Native American never really caught on.