Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I recently found out about the zxr400 which is a 400cc four-cylinder from Kawasaki. Kinda similar idea to Honda's cb400sf.

Are there other less than 500cc zippers like this that I haven't heard of yet? My province has cheaper insurance for <500cc and the zxr400 has nearly twice the horsepower of my ninja 250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

I recently found out about the zxr400 which is a 400cc four-cylinder from Kawasaki. Kinda similar idea to Honda's cb400sf.

Are there other less than 500cc zippers like this that I haven't heard of yet? My province has cheaper insurance for <500cc and the zxr400 has nearly twice the horsepower of my ninja 250

Zxr400
Zrx400
Zzr400

Fzr400

Cbr400
Cb400f
Cb-1
Vfr400

A few others I'm probably forgetting. A mate raced Zxr400's at one point, they're the most powerful machine in that category, and very easy to work on, but nowhere near as good as the hondas in every other way.

Nc30 is the undisputed champion of the 400 class, literally an rc30 that's been shrunk in every dimension.

Nc23 and nc29 are also excellent.

This is making me depressed because these bikes are worth so much more now than when I crashed them :sigh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Zxr400
Zrx400
Zzr400

Fzr400

Cbr400
Cb400f
Cb-1
Vfr400

A few others I'm probably forgetting. A mate raced Zxr400's at one point, they're the most powerful machine in that category, and very easy to work on, but nowhere near as good as the hondas in every other way.

drat the fzr400 looks super cool as well! Honda basically owned the category eh?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Japanese licensing bureau: bike must not exceed 400cc/70hp.

Literally everyone else: sleeves down a 600, shrugs and walks away.

Honda: carefully crafts an entire model range of miniaturised bikes complete with their own engine families, chassis technology, styling cues etc.

Those bikes are long gone but you can still routinely buy er4n's, SV400's, GSR400's, monster 400's and so on. All of them are just sleeved down regular bikes that are identical in every other way, only honda really took the 400 class seriously as it's own thing, I think the CB400 super four is the only currently produced remnant of that era.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I could find an I4-400 for sale locally with a reasonable price I would probably switch from my Ninja 650 no questions asked.

But it doesn't look like Canada has any significant amount of these, and all we have are probably imports that will never be sold.

Heck, I would even give a thought to a zx25r but apparently Kawasaki doesn't think anyone here is interested.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the internet lied, I can't even be an outlaw on this thing :mad:

The Michelin City Pros are DOT approved.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If I could find an I4-400 for sale locally with a reasonable price I would probably switch from my Ninja 650 no questions asked.

But it doesn't look like Canada has any significant amount of these, and all we have are probably imports that will never be sold.

Heck, I would even give a thought to a zx25r but apparently Kawasaki doesn't think anyone here is interested.

You could probably import one relatively easily from Japan or some grey market like UK or NZ.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Japanese licensing bureau: bike must not exceed 400cc/70hp.

Literally everyone else: sleeves down a 600, shrugs and walks away.

Honda: carefully crafts an entire model range of miniaturised bikes complete with their own engine families, chassis technology, styling cues etc.

Those bikes are long gone but you can still routinely buy er4n's, SV400's, GSR400's, monster 400's and so on. All of them are just sleeved down regular bikes that are identical in every other way, only honda really took the 400 class seriously as it's own thing, I think the CB400 super four is the only currently produced remnant of that era.

SR400?

Also seriously the RVF400 is the best-looking bike ever to come out of Japan, even prettier than the 750. Better engine noise too - being slightly quieter you can really hear the music of those gear-driven cams.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can get a Suzuki Bandit 400 even in the USA and its a certified 20K RPM ripper

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

drat the fzr400 looks super cool as well! Honda basically owned the category eh?

Had a fzr400 for some years. Rode the bike everyfuckingwhere. It was such a great little bike 80s electrics aside. My spouse liked mine enough he bought one.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can get a Suzuki Bandit 400 even in the USA and its a certified 20K RPM ripper

They're also usually covered in rust when you find them :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that’s the problem is most of them either look like they were dredged from a flooded barn or they’re concours level clean and therefore crazy expensive.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pretty sure I've worked on a Bandit 400 and it redlined at a disappointing 15k or so? Sad!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do any bikes rev to 20k? I thought maybe the Honda MC22, but I double checked and it’s a meager 19k. My bike only revs to 10.5k :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Pretty sure I've worked on a Bandit 400 and it redlined at a disappointing 15k or so? Sad!

Maybe I’m thinking of the bandit 250? :iiam:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The discussion led me to google and this article and man these all own

https://www.cycleworld.com/250cc-four-cylinder-sportbikes-1990s-revved-to-19000-rpm/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This post led me down a rabbit hole searching for a bandit 400 and I've discovered 3 things:
1) You can't find a bandit 400 anywhere.
2) Bandits in general are REALLY cheap right now. They are the impossible "I want a decent first motorcycle for $1000" cheap.
3) Bandit sellers are a new breed of stupid I've never before encountered. They don't even list the engine size, or anything. Just "Suzuki Bandit" and a picture.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Aren't there at least four different displacement bikes called "bandit"?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Aren't there at least four different displacement bikes called "bandit"?

At least - there were at least 4 just in the US (400, 600, 1200, 1250, I think there was a 650 in there somewhere too), plus whatever JDM-only models Suzuki no doubt produced

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I thought for sure there was a Bandit 1100 but now I'm thinking it was just used ads for a displacement that didn't exist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

I thought for sure there was a Bandit 1100 but now I'm thinking it was just used ads for a displacement that didn't exist.

Wasn't the original Bandit 1200 a slightly-stroked GSXR 1100 and much closer to 1100 than 1200? Might be where you're getting confused.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had a 650 Bandit, and you also had a choice of pure naked or semi-faired.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bandits are the Lego of the bike world they all use pretty interchangeable parts and are hard to tell apart.

The 1200’s and the 600’s use the same frame and bodywork. The easiest way to tell them apart are that the 600’s have a silver engine and the 1200’s have a black engine. 1200’s have a 180 rear and the 600’s have a 160.

The 1250’s and 650’s look totally different and are easy to tell apart and the 400 is it’s own beast as well

The 1200’s are one of the best HP/$ bikes out there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wasn't the original Bandit 1200 a slightly-stroked GSXR 1100 and much closer to 1100 than 1200? Might be where you're getting confused.

Yeah the 1200 is a bored out gsxr1100 which is where the naming confusion comes from.

Again being motorcycle lego, you could take a GSXR750 bottom end, put bandit 1200 cylinders on it and a GSXR1100 head on it and it would work so there are some wonky combos floating around.

Bandit 1200 with a GSXR1100 head is common, but it’s not unheard of for people to run the GSXR1100 lower end to get the 6 speed trans

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
400 is a really good size - I too wish it was more popular. My first bike was a KZ400 and Iearned a ton on it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Well it sort of is again with the Ninja 400 leading the charge and the uhhh KTM 390s lmao

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

How hard is it to import that Honda CB400 Super Four?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So I'm slowly returning my 83 Magna to stock. I'm looking to get a new rear inner fender and rear duckbill. I currently have half of the stock toolbox and the rear brakelights and turn signals and license plate holder, two small plastic trim pieces that go around the gas tank and two metal surrounds that go around the radiator, with built in reflectors.

I have two options when it comes to the rear sissy bar. The stock option is a short little handle that comes just above the rear seat.

The free option is the large sissy bar that it came with in the parts box.

Any opinions? I'm not too crazy about the sissy bar personally, all it would be used for is a mount point for my cargo net.

I'm going to slowly accumulate the parts over the winter as I see them on ebay, so it's nothing pressing or immediate.

I'm also considering new handlebars. Current set isn't stock I don't think, they had some SEVERE buckhorns stock. I've thought about just some straight motocross style, for a more aggresive stance and maybe tighten the steering up some, Sean from Bikes and Beards and SRK Cycles had a Magna with a set and it looked pretty nice and he seemed to like what it did with steering.

I also bought a pair of muffler inserts from amazon, but one somehow came unbolted and fell out.

I think I'm past the point of random stuff falling off the bike, so I guess I'm looking for suggestions to make it a bit more comfy and fun to ride.

It feels really small physically compared to newer stuff, but my legs don't really feel cramped, just my butt burning after 45 minutes or so, so I usually wind up pulling off somewhere and taking a few pictures or something. I also stand whenever I'm stopped in traffic, also helps me look over my shoulder, I'm a little paranoid about getting rear ended at stops.

Anything else to recommend? I have plenty of wear left on front and rear brakes, butmy fronts do feel a bit spongy. I'm going to order stainless lines in the spring.

Sorry for the ramblepost.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hey Slavvy or any other KTM experts. Are there any aftermarket tanks available for the KTM RC390. I'm getting tired of the thimble they call a tank. The low fuel light comes on after 1.7-1.8 gallons (6.4-6.8 liters) and after the low light comes on it claims I have about 20-40 miles of range left. I'm constantly refueling.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

not that I know of. pretty sure the rc has a different frame than the duke / adv so you probably couldn’t run the adv tank even if you wanted to ditch your fairings so your only option would be an external aux fuel tank which introduces its own issues of course

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah the rc is it's own special flower and big tanks are generally not on the radar for those sorts of bikes.

You might have that expectation if you think of it as a fancy european bike but if you think of it as the disposable third world shitter it is, it all falls into place.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I asked this a few months ago:

FBS posted:

I'll be moving cross-country in the next month or two and I need to figure out how to get the motorcycle along for the ride.

My first thought is putting it in the box truck with the rest of my apartment crap, so I'd just need to know how to tie it down properly inside. But what if there's a better way? Never done this before.

and what I ended up doing was turning to Harbor Freight, as we all do in times of darkness and uncertainty: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/motorcycle-atv/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

Ran a pair of ratchet straps from the handlebars (near the triple clamp) to the eyelets on the stand to keep it upright, then another ratchet strap through the front wheel to one of the truck's wooden tie rails to keep the whole assembly snug up against the front wall. It worked spectacularly well and for $63 I'd absolutely recommend it.

e: Oh yeah, getting up the ramp was utterly terrifying at first. Try to find a spot where the ramp end is at least a foot higher than the level the truck is parked at. Ideally you can use an empty loading dock or something nearly level with the truck floor. Riding it down the ramp was no big deal though.

FBS fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 12, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am so incredibly annoyed all the time that HF doesn't ship outside USA. Their $100 garage motorcycle dolly is half the price of a perennially "out of stock" model on Amazon.ca and I really want one for moving my bike around in the shed for winter storage this year.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I am so incredibly annoyed all the time that HF doesn't ship outside USA. Their $100 garage motorcycle dolly is half the price of a perennially "out of stock" model on Amazon.ca and I really want one for moving my bike around in the shed for winter storage this year.

This one?
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-steel-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html

Looks practically identical to this one:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-motorcycle-atv-jack-1500-lb-0091015p.html#srp

And this one that's more or less then same thing with a different style jack mechanism.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-500-lb-motorcycle-atv-lift/A-p8319956e

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 12, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah, this bad boy:

https://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgyQkJF8dXg

Thanks though!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh right, just to slide around the garage, just get a couple of these (or similar).
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-wheel-dolly-set-2500-lbs-0090099p.html#srp

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get a third for the kickstand and you’re golden

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trying to imagine how I get the bike onto those without physically lifting it.

But yeah, I can absolutely DIY a solution it’s just annoying that I have to go out of my way to do so :(

Fortnine has a different style of the same thing for two hundred Canadian funbux which is cool but man.. twice the price.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been super busy but finally had time to try and clean up the pistons for the brakes I'm rebuilding. After trying brass wire wheels, copper pads, and Mother's aluminum and mag polish this is as good as they get:

I didn't think I could feel anything, but once I removed my gloves it seems like there is minor pitting. I *think* it's past the fluid seal, but not 100% on that. Buy new pistons, or give these a shot? I'm fairly adverse to my brakes failing as I'm riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That'll work fine.