Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Dimebag posted:

80 years too late to parachute a Nazi into France.

But enough about Abetz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Why is Berejiklian so aggressive about QLD reopening their borders? I get why Morrison wants all the borders open and I get why the QLD tourism lobby wants that particular border open, but why does Berejiklian give a poo poo? Is it purely about optics because it implies that NSW isn't handling COVID?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

freebooter posted:

Why is Berejiklian so aggressive about QLD reopening their borders? I get why Morrison wants all the borders open and I get why the QLD tourism lobby wants that particular border open, but why does Berejiklian give a poo poo? Is it purely about optics because it implies that NSW isn't handling COVID?

There's an election coming up and they are in opposing political parties.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

freebooter posted:

They talk about weird money poo poo in private and subject the rest of us to their deals absent mindedly

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Zenithe posted:

There's an election coming up and they are in opposing political parties.

I think this is most likely and they think it is close enough to be worth putting in the effort.

To be honest I thought the ALP would be a shoo in for QLD because;
~ Covid has not really impacted QLD to the same degree as other states and the government has loosened up internal travel and freedoms cautiously but fairly actively. Crises that aren't completely mishandled generally favour the incumbent.
~ Keeping out other states - always a popular move to keep out "others".
~ Federal is Lib/Nat and that's not going anywhere soon by the looks and Australians generally seem to like having one of each in federal / state.
~ ALP QLD doesn't seem to have had recent major stuff ups - parties get voted out, generally, not oppositions getting voted in.
~ The Nat opposition does not seem to be incompetent but not exciting either.
~There has been plenty of news in 2020 to be bored of the status quo and wanting to change things up just because.

Against that is that ALP has had what 25 or something years in government out of the last 30? Maybe also there is some mud sticking against ALP from all that is being flung against Andrews for being taking the strongest actions on Covid with the worst result nationally. I would not have thought it would be too much of an impact so because polls are quite often completely wrong these days, are we actually looking at a comfortable ALP victory there?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Nah North QLD is hard anti Labor and they can lose government on Townsville alone

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Queenslanders are a vicious breed and would rather cut their towbars off rather than vote for an LNP that shows any sign of weakness. We won't actually be averse to electing another Campbell Newman should one be brave enough to slither up the ranks again but for whatever reason they cloak their fascism way more than the electorate yearns for and are punished for it.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think this is most likely and they think it is close enough to be worth putting in the effort.

~ Covid has not really impacted QLD to the same degree as other states and the government has loosened up internal travel and freedoms cautiously but fairly actively. Crises that aren't completely mishandled generally favour the incumbent.
~ Federal is Lib/Nat and that's not going anywhere soon by the looks and Australians generally seem to like having one of each in federal / state.
~ ALP QLD doesn't seem to have had recent major stuff ups - parties get voted out, generally, not oppositions getting voted in.
~There has been plenty of news in 2020 to be bored of the status quo and wanting to change things up just because.

Against that is that ALP has had what 25 or something years in government out of the last 30? Maybe also there is some mud sticking against ALP from all that is being flung against Andrews for being taking the strongest actions on Covid with the worst result nationally. I would not have thought it would be too much of an impact so because polls are quite often completely wrong these days, are we actually looking at a comfortable ALP victory there?

The deputy premier resigned in may this year because of an ICAC investigation - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-10/queensland-premier-annastacia-palaszczuk-responds-to-jackie-trad/12231616

Not a good look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is that there's a sort of Hapsburgification of the ruling class of most of the world at this point where it's enough generations in that they don't have many among the people allowed to run for office who can actually pull off looking like a human being for five minutes at a time, leaving it open for wild-eyed fascists who at least look familiar in a 'frothing maniac small business owner' kind of way if they can elbow their way in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ah there's the first jobseeker cut. Can't wait for it to go back to being unliveable after Christmas!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I feel like Samurai Jack trying to get back a Job but Scomo flung me into the future where unemployment is LAW

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Age's latest installment in its series of treating lockdown vs COVID deaths as a beard-stroking trolley problem is a piece by Peter Singer, who's argued in the past that it's morally OK to kill newborn babies with disabilities

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/we-should-be-counting-years-of-life-lost-or-saved-20201008-p56362.html

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

The Age's latest installment in its series of treating lockdown vs COVID deaths as a beard-stroking trolley problem is a piece by Peter Singer, who's argued in the past that it's morally OK to kill newborn babies with disabilities

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/we-should-be-counting-years-of-life-lost-or-saved-20201008-p56362.html

The article seems like a heap of fuckin garbage overall but this really stood out to me

quote:

When faced with a highly contagious disease that puts vulnerable people at risk, few Victorians are moved by abstract calls for “freedom” coming mostly from younger people who are at lower risk. Most accept that the lockdown is necessary because it saves lives.

That sure as gently caress hasn't been the demos of people screaming about DICTATOR DAN that I've seen

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

future where unemployment is LAW

2000AD was prophetic

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Anthony_Klan/status/1314405876254470146?s=19

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Not even slightly shocked

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

thank you mr Klan

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've noticed lots of pictures of cars getting angry online and some of the cars are younger people.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

can't believe that the morning shows that have been complicit in Pauline's return because her hideous poo poo drove ratings would go out of their way to manufacture situations where her hideous poo poo could further drive their ratings

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 9, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

can't believe that the morning shows that have been implicit in Pauline's return because her hideous poo poo drove ratings would go out of their way to manufacture situations where her hideous poo poo could further drive their ratings

Only in Australia, folks.

Oh, and the USA in 2016 I guess.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

alp are going to lose majority government and be forced under the boot of the greens lol, they say they won't make a deal but they will.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The article seems like a heap of fuckin garbage overall but this really stood out to me

That sure as gently caress hasn't been the demos of people screaming about DICTATOR DAN that I've seen

Yeah the argument I do hear tends to come from middle-aged conservatives, business owners etc who say that the young shouldn't have to suffer in the primes of their lives so the old can have a few more years, which mysteriously doesn't apply to climate change, or free tertiary education, or workplace labour rights, or any raft of other policies which gently caress over the young for the benefit of the boomers, which makes you wonder if maybe the use of the poor 20-year-olds or Year 12 students is just a stalking horse for the same anti-lockdown demographic which has discovered a newfound concern about poverty and domestic violence and mental health when those things could suddenly be linked to public health measures which impact on business profits

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

thatbastardken posted:

alp are going to lose majority government and be forced under the boot of the greens lol, they say they won't make a deal but they will.

I love how every election nowadays they make a big song and dance about not joining up with them when there's literally a zero percent chance of them not seizing power through any method possible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 9, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

iajanus posted:

I love how every election nowadays they make a big song and dance about not joining up with them when there's literally a zero percent chance of them not seizing power through any method possible.

You talking about Liberals, Labor, The Greens or Nationals? Would you support a team that doesn’t work towards gaining electoral power?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

I'm embarressed to admit I voted for Campbell Newman. Whatshisface in the ALP had just been done over for corruption and I thought a change was needed, and besides, how bad could the LNP be? Boy was I wrong.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You talking about Liberals, Labor, The Greens or Nationals? Would you support a team that doesn’t work towards gaining electoral power?

If only my post had quoted someone that gave it context

And if the party I voted for decided to do a deal that sacrificed the things I cared about I would need upset, even if it delivered the individuals elected power.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Honestly I can't blame them, he was exceptionally awful at the job.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

READ ANOTHER loving BOOK

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I remember being in hospital right as Newman started obliterating nursing jobs and everyone there wished he was loving dead

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pikehead posted:

I'm embarressed to admit I voted for Campbell Newman. Whatshisface in the ALP had just been done over for corruption and I thought a change was needed, and besides, how bad could the LNP be? Boy was I wrong.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

What can I say, I'm a man of repeated poor choices

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Newman was barely passable as a Lord Mayor, but he also was very middle management in the Army so it makes sense that a he'd be way out of his depth with strategic leadership.

Still hunting down a Campbell Coin for my collection

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I also voted for Newman (Green 1, LNP before ALP) because Anna Bligh basically hosed up the ALP, so much so that the Brisbane Labor Party did not endorse her lmao.

Then she lost and got some big banking job where she got to run ad campaigns against the banking royal commission.

I'm glad I voted Newman (technically) because the state election afterwards was the most I've laughed in a long time.

Newman loses Ashgrove *sad trombone noises*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KrYlCOMqc

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pikehead posted:

What can I say, I'm a man of repeated poor choices

it's okay. i voted howard. twice.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Poor Kim Beazley

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
whole lot of bad voting choices itt

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I avoided some mistakes by not voting til i was over 30

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

GoldStandardConure posted:

whole lot of bad voting choices itt

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Auspol filled with tree tories confirmed.