Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, it's always a day in the future because of some backend clock change with the forums that never got updated for in Awful. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yeah, it's always a day in the future because of some backend clock change with the forums that never got updated for in Awful. It sucks.

So it's to do with SA and not the app, is that what it means?

For what it's worth, when I log in to the browser version of SA it displays correctly

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I changed the code on the forums-side to show your own local time instead of always showing CST. Is the app trying to itself convert it into another time zone?

Can you check to see if you have the correct time zone and daylight savings time settings in the edit options page in the browser?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions

The relevant post from the jeff man.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My settings in SA reflects the time zone I am in, if that's what you mean?

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
as far as i can tell, if you're probed the app will always show the end date of the probe as being the current time.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The probation time used to be displayed in Lowtax's caveman mountain time but was changed to match the user setting this year.

If someone on probation could send me the source code of a page with the probation header, that might help. I mean, as soon as the website is sold.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Persiflagist posted:

as far as i can tell, if you're probed the app will always show the end date of the probe as being the current time.

For me the app showed the end date as being 24 hours later, as opposed to six hours later.

The website displayed correctly

Sorry I don't know I'm explaining it very well!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
How much do I have to pay to get the ability to post threads in the app on Android? I'll give you

:10bux:

Otherwise this app is just wonderful. The perfect experience for lurking and casual posting. Thank you for your gift to the goon world.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Volunteering your time to code the functionality is the price I have seen mentioned.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Volunteering your time to code the functionality is the price I have seen mentioned.

drat!

:10bux: isn't enough?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I still remember a lot of QuickBasic, will that help?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

drat!

:10bux: isn't enough?

You sound like our customers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

You sound like all customers.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

vyst posted:

You sound like our customers.

Fine, fine.

:20bux:

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Is anyone else having a problem with the app moving and losing your position in a thread a couple of seconds after it loads up?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with the app moving and losing your position in a thread a couple of seconds after it loads up?

If I follow a link to a post and the thread has a bunch of something, maybe twitter or other embeds, not sure, it'll often jump around after a second. Like the order of operations is: load text in posts -> jump to correct post -> load embeds in thread -> view isn't locked to any particular post so the embedded stuff pushes posts around.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
My current issue is that every time I close the app I have to recredential with the username and password. Am i alone on this island?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
please dont say recredential it is hurting my ears

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

stab posted:

My current issue is that every time I close the app I have to recredential with the username and password. Am i alone on this island?

I don't have this issue, please make sure you have the update from like half a year ago installed that fixes something like that

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sereri posted:

I don't have this issue, please make sure you have the update from like half a year ago installed that fixes something like that

Aces thanks goon

Edit: still logging me out but aces for the update now what lol

stab fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 14, 2020

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

sourdough posted:

If I follow a link to a post and the thread has a bunch of something, maybe twitter or other embeds, not sure, it'll often jump around after a second. Like the order of operations is: load text in posts -> jump to correct post -> load embeds in thread -> view isn't locked to any particular post so the embedded stuff pushes posts around.

Yes that is exactly what is happening when I press the button to go to the last read post in a thread.
This is newish behavior, it didn't use to do it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I just installed on a new phone and my bookmark unread indicators are all one color (blue)

Edit: I found the setting. App is good, I'm bad

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 17, 2020

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So I got probated the other day and figured I'd take the opportunity to see if I can help with the probation time display issue. This is what the source code was, even before any JavaScript. The element appears as the first thing in <div id="content">
code:
<div id="probation_warn">
<h4>TAKE A BREAK</h4>
You have been put on probation until Sep 19, 2020 20:13. You cannot post while on probation. You might find out why you are on probation if you <a href="/banlist.php?userid=115062">check the Leper's
Colony</a>. If you <a href="//www.somethingawful.com/d/forum-rules/forum-rules.php">read the loving rules</a>, maybe this won't happen again!
</div>
So maybe Awful.apk is overthinking the date? It just needs to display it like any other text?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

So I got probated the other day and figured I'd take the opportunity to see if I can help with the probation time display issue. This is what the source code was, even before any JavaScript. The element appears as the first thing in <div id="content">
code:
<div id="probation_warn">
<h4>TAKE A BREAK</h4>
You have been put on probation until Sep 19, 2020 20:13. You cannot post while on probation. You might find out why you are on probation if you <a href="/banlist.php?userid=115062">check the Leper's
Colony</a>. If you <a href="//www.somethingawful.com/d/forum-rules/forum-rules.php">read the loving rules</a>, maybe this won't happen again!
</div>
So maybe Awful.apk is overthinking the date? It just needs to display it like any other text?

Someone submit the PR! :dukedog:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

vyst posted:

Someone submit the PR! :dukedog:

Came here to report the same problem, maybe I'll submit the PR this coming week when I get a 7 day ban and can't post for a while

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I guess this is somewhere between an app question and a general android one, but I've been getting a fair number of instances lately where the app completely hangs on loading a thread and has to be killed manually. It's updated, Chrome is updated, and I generally sorta suspect it's more my phone than the app, but I know essentially nothing about tracking down these issues' root causes on phones compared to Windows. Is there a good way to look somewhere that helps me look at error logs or something to see if it's twisted to the app vs the phone just being lovely?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess this is somewhere between an app question and a general android one, but I've been getting a fair number of instances lately where the app completely hangs on loading a thread and has to be killed manually. It's updated, Chrome is updated, and I generally sorta suspect it's more my phone than the app, but I know essentially nothing about tracking down these issues' root causes on phones compared to Windows. Is there a good way to look somewhere that helps me look at error logs or something to see if it's twisted to the app vs the phone just being lovely?

Usually when I see this it's due to Cloudflare or SA being generally unreachable.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Apparently the forums have sold so regular updates will resume.

But which I mean yearly patches that fix the app when it no longer works and add stuff that is, once again, not making threads.

Guess I have finish this PR after all. Thanks, Ojeffrey :rolleyes:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Please make an option to do theming based around which css include is present in a thread (list) instead of a hardcoded mapping so I can apply styles to forums and automatically propagate them to the app. byob.css, fyad.css, and 219(a).css shouldn't be too hard to scrape for right?

If you add threads I'll give you, uhh, I dunno, some avatar certificates?? Everyone likes avatar certificates.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
please also make the app detect when you quote someone and write a really angry response to them - it can then pop up a window that says "buy this rear end in a top hat an avatar???" and the only button is yes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Exploring some monetization opportunities already I see. Good show.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

please also make the app detect when you quote someone and write a really angry response to them - it can then pop up a window that says "buy this rear end in a top hat an avatar???" and the only button is yes

Don't forget to save it as a flag so if you force close the app it comes back next time you boot it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

this is the type of innovation i can get behind

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For the quoter and the quoted, right?

Internet Explorer posted:

this is the type of innovation i can get behind

U/P combo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao username post combo of the week

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Need to swap the input boxes around in new PMs. Subject is above recipients, not expected anymore

Every pm I send I first put the to: in the subject and the title in the to:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 11, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Recipient is on top on the forums, too.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

fine, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart