Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i had never heard of sirtis stealing a ton of props from tng before this thread and its loving rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
When was the last time a Trek movie didn’t end with punching the bad guy to death? VI?

Crusader posted:

i had never heard of sirtis stealing a ton of props from tng before this thread and its loving rad

Sirtis is pretty much the awesome drunk aunt you wish you had.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MillennialVulcan posted:

Speaking of Beyond, I really expected Kirk to talk down the villain, remind him of his old values. But it was just another punch fight.

I still liked Beyond overall.

They walk RIGHT up to the line of it too where you see Elba look at the weapon like “I must sacrifice myself” then figures “naaaah” and keeps being a bad guy

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Troi is the only character whose writing improved going to Picard and she seemed pretty good talking poo poo to picard.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

When was the last time a Trek movie didn’t end with punching the bad guy to death? VI?

First Contact. They melted the bad guy to death and snapped her neck.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

First Contact. They melted the bad guy to death

By punching the tank of flesh-melting acid vapor!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Zaroff posted:

Didn't Sirtis steal her Troi wigs, which meant that when they were filming These Are The Voyages they didn't have an accurate wig for her?

Not sure about that, but I remember seeing that she brought back one of her stolen wigs for use on Picard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In Insurrection, Picard leaves Ru'afo to die on the collector ship

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After having a fist fight on a catwalk with what looks like unfinished blue screen sfx behind them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

In Insurrection, Picard leaves Ru'afo to die on the collector ship

I wish they went with the original ending they'd filmed of Picard trying to save Ru'afo, and Ru'afo going "nah" and launching himself into the planet's rings and accidentally de-aging himself into nonexistence. It would have been a much more poignant ending.

But test audiences wanted more Action Picard and less TNG Picard :negative:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The only thing he admitted to stealing was a commbadge. Sirtis, on the otherhand, practically filled a truck with all the stuff she stole.

That makes the last episode of Lower Decks even funnier.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I like to imagine whoever gets Picard’s captain’s logs and has to listen to stuff like “It's been over thirty years since I last saw my archaeology professor. His presence has taken me back to a time when I had considered a very different career.” is just banging their head against the desk like “who the gently caress cares talk about the aliens!”

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's the early episode where his logs are just about how awesome the holodeck is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Unmature posted:

I like to imagine whoever gets Picard’s captain’s logs and has to listen to stuff like “It's been over thirty years since I last saw my archaeology professor. His presence has taken me back to a time when I had considered a very different career.” is just banging their head against the desk like “who the gently caress cares talk about the aliens!”

That's sorta the point of the Captain's log.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

gahahha goddamn:

quote:

Sirtis: You were so tired you'd just forgotten to change. [laughter] I took three costumes. [laughter] I took various other bits and bobs I saw lyin' about. I took my director's chair. You're supposed to take the, uh, you know, the fabric bit on the back, yeah, and it's got the name of the show and then your name on it. I thought, "that's a good height that chair. When I'm gettin' ready for a red carpet event at home, that's the perfect height to get my makeup done, so-- [mimes tucking chair under her arm and walking off] --and I ran into Mary Howard and she was one of our producers and she said, "Where are you going? What are you doing?" I said, "I'm taking my chair." She said, "you can't take the chair." She said, "You can't take the chair, Marina." I said, "I'm taking my chair."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
TV IV > Star Trek: "You can't take the chair, Marina."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There should be a Kelvinverse comic where they retell the story of TMP and it ends with PineKirk punching out V'Ger.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Astroman posted:

There should be a Kelvinverse comic where they retell the story of TMP and it ends with PineKirk punching out V'Ger.

Gimme Urban in that white deep V disco suit and beard

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Beyond was decent despite of the climax. It should have had an ending after the swarm that didn't involve the same tired big bad escaping and threatening Innocents and only our hero can punch them down from a high place.

Yeah, have Krall insane, but also legitimately pissed at how the Franklin was abandoned. He sets off some timed device on Yorktown and then discovers something poignant that makes him realise Starfleet searched for them for decades. Too late to stop the device, he sacrifices himself to save the station.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

That's sorta the point of the Captain's log.

Has Lower Decks done a Captain's Blog joke yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Has Lower Decks done a Captain's Blog joke yet?

No, but the main(?) character gets caught in the first episode making a fake captain's log because he's a giant Starfleet weeb. It also heavily implies that the actual captain's logs used to stage set episodes are simply the final product of a LOT of gently caress up takes, because the actual captain has to keep redoing hers a lot because she keeps getting interrupted by Star Trek poo poo all the time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crusader posted:

gahahha goddamn:

Marina Sirtis is a treasure.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chain of Command parts 1 & 2 are on BBC America right now. What a nice late night treat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Crusader posted:

gahahha goddamn:

how am i just now learning how great marina sirtis is

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Astroman posted:

A Kelvinverse comic with V'Ger exists. Nero got there first.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E: never mind

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 10, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Seemlar posted:

A Kelvinverse comic with V'Ger exists. Nero got there first.

Other than reviewing his historical records and just doing everything Kirk and Spock did the first time, how the hell could Nero possibly have any success against the V'ger probe?!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Other than reviewing his historical records and just doing everything Kirk and Spock did the first time, how the hell could Nero possibly have any success against the V'ger probe?!

Nero's ship was augmented with 24th-century Borg technology?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 10, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I never read it but IIRC he doesn't actually fight V'Ger, just has a chat, and V'Ger is open to it because the Narada itself is interesting to it?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Yeah, that's what happens - V'Ger sees the Narada as an equal so isn't hostile. Nero just communicates with it and figures out where and when Spock is going to appear in the past using it's computing power.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are those comics good? I read bits of the one with Q and Sisko but the traced art of movie stills really put me off and I couldn’t pay attention. I liked the idea of Q telling Picard about the universe split and then going to check it out himself.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Nero's ship was augmented with 24th-century Borg technology?

It was a mining ship. It was way more powerful than anything in the TOS era, but I can't see it possibly being on the same scale of power as the V'ger probe. V'ger could turn anything it encountered into pure data. I don't even think the Borg could counter it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"You can't take the chair, Mariner!"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

It was a mining ship. It was way more powerful than anything in the TOS era, but I can't see it possibly being on the same scale of power as the V'ger probe. V'ger could turn anything it encountered into pure data. I don't even think the Borg could counter it.

The Countdown prequel comics for Star Trek 2009 revealed that the Narada was augmented with Borg tech. After the destruction of Romulus the Narada stumbled upon a Tal Shiar base who souped-up the Narada with Borg tech so Nero could go on a rampage against the Federation or something.

Probably not canon to the movie, but probably is to the comics.

EDIT: This is what it looked like before getting Borged-up

Veotax fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 10, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Veotax posted:

The Countdown prequel comics for Star Trek 2009 revealed that the Narada was augmented with Borg tech. After the destruction of Romulus the Narada stumbled upon a Tal Shiar base who souped-up the Narada with Borg tech so Nero could go on a rampage against the Federation or something.

Probably not canon to the movie, but probably is to the comics.

Even souped up with borg tech, the ship wasn't a planet killer until it managed to capture Spock's Jellyfish and inject red matter into planetary cores (using the ships unaugmented mining rig, fyi).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Veotax posted:

EDIT: This is what it looked like before getting Borged-up

Kinda disappointed it didn't have at least the general shape of the Narada (if slightly more sensible) - I always imagined that basically what it did was open up and 'eat' asteroids.

Although I do remember that the designer was only told it was a giant wierd romulan battleship from the future and to be totally different to anything seen before. He didn't know it was a mining ship.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 10, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Even souped up with borg tech, the ship wasn't a planet killer until it managed to capture Spock's Jellyfish and inject red matter into planetary cores (using the ships unaugmented mining rig, fyi).

MikeJF posted:

I never read it but IIRC he doesn't actually fight V'Ger, just has a chat, and V'Ger is open to it because the Narada itself is interesting to it?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The more I think about the Abramsverse the more I dislike it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The more I think about the Abramsverse the more I dislike it.

It is definitely Star Trek But Dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crusader posted:

--and I ran into Mary Howard and she was one of our producers and she said, "Where are you going? What are you doing?" I said, "I'm taking my chair." She said, "you can't take the chair." She said, "You can't take the chair, Marina." I said, "I'm taking my chair."

I can only imagine this confrontation as having exactly the same mood and tone (and even the same camera movements) as the famous "I'm getting my men" moment from :bsg:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uNjaeNESRY&t=101s