Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Sleepy Joe vs Woke Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Tokamak posted:

i'm woke biden

i'm regular biden

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I do my own research when voting federally, but for the council elections it feels safe enough to just follow the HTV card the Greens sent out

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

DRINK ME posted:

Hey auspol. I have never voted in a council election before so I’m looking for some guidance. Just the sort of question I’d normally ask at the office but there’s no office any more: How the gently caress do you work out who to vote for in these things?

I’m in Brimbank, Horseshoe Bend ward, we have 10 independent candidates and a 300 word statement to go on and flyers in the mail. However one of the independents is using Labor red for her mailer and another is using Liberal blue, so I have to check out their facebooks and websites and see other people asking the same questions with answers like “well I’m a member of the party but I’m not running as a Labor candidate”. And the Lib guy has a bunch of news articles about how he’s been caught up in state level party bullshit.

While googling candidates I also found this wild website that calls out people who are potentially Labor or Greens in an effort to “defeat dan”. It run by Ken Phillips, who is an IPA guy who is trying to get the govt prosecuted under WH&S laws over the second wave/quarantine fuckup.

https://defeatdan.selfemployedaustralia.com.au/

I told my 'Liberal' candidate to get hosed when she approached me at the market the other day, only to be told that 'I'm actually an independent'. Not sure what the go is there when all her campaign flyers are exactly Liberal party blue and she's heavily involved with the local chamber of commerce?

If it looks like a Lib and squawks like a Lib they can get hosed imo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I loving hate Liberpendents.

It should be illegal.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm voting for the local councillor who wants to put a new pool in.

We don't have a public pool in my electorate, so it'd be really nice :unsmith:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Anidav posted:

I loving hate Liberpendents.

It should be illegal.

MLYP

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Most parties don't endorse candidates for local council elections. If a candidate is a member of a party you can assume they are representing that party, will report to that party, and will push that parties agenda.

Claiming to be an independant when you are a member of a party is misleading at best.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It also lets nutcases blame everything on "greens counsellors"

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Greg Sheridan is like one of those lost Japanese soldiers who were fighting WWII 30 years later, except his particular battle is the Cold War.

He’s so rabidly anti communism that anyone left of Hitler is about to collectivise his property and send him to the gulag. I remember an article in which he lamented that the youth today don’t get his view of communism and the 100s or millions of deaths it was responsible for.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

ML YITTLE PONY

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Victorian government recently introduced a new local government act, and the entire purpose of it was to introduce single member wards to make it easier for party hacks to control councils. Everything else in the bill was Wishlist stuff or a bargaining chip to preserve the single member ward reforms.

Both major parties are almost certainly going hard at this round of elections, either openly or not.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If my social media feeds are any guide, the pause in declining cases over the past fortnight has really driven some Melburnians to breaking point.

It's frustrating and depressing, but I don't see the logic in being prepared to throw the towel in now when we're this close.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

If my social media feeds are any guide, the pause in declining cases over the past fortnight has really driven some Melburnians to breaking point.

It's frustrating and depressing, but I don't see the logic in being prepared to throw the towel in now when we're this close.

Just lol at thinking people are logical

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The weirdest thing for me is the disconnect some people still have between lockdown and threat to public health. You aren't upset about the lockdown - you're upset about the pandemic that makes the lockdown necessary.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

freebooter posted:

Frustration and anger is a pretty valid reaction to a seemingly never ending lockdown. It doesn't need to be logical for peoples reactions to be valid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's pretty rational to be losing your mind and getting angry at the government when you can't work, you're on paltry economic support, your small business is hosed, etc, etc, etc. White collar remote capable workers are not the norm and a lot of people are properly hosed.

If the government tells you that you can't earn an income or run your life normally it's on them to make it right and they're not making it right.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tommunist posted:

Frustration and anger is a pretty valid reaction to a seemingly never ending lockdown. It doesn't need to be logical for peoples reactions to be valid.
Tommu hitting it on the head here

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah most of the frustration I'm seeing (and experiencing tbh) isn't paired with a sentiment that we should end lockdown. It's just venting that we're doing everything right and it's still not getting where it needs to be, and frankly fatigue from the lockdown. Like, this situation objectively loving sucks, and I am feeling new levels of annoyance and depression at it all, I want to see my family and friends, but that does not mean I think restrictions should be lifted. It's the right thing but it's loving hard.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Can't they start eliminating the virus block by block, suburb by suburb? Figure out where it is and isn't and make that lockdown zone smaller.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

JBP posted:

It's pretty rational to be losing your mind and getting angry at the government when you can't work, you're on paltry economic support, your small business is hosed, etc, etc, etc. White collar remote capable workers are not the norm and a lot of people are properly hosed.

If the government tells you that you can't earn an income or run your life normally it's on them to make it right and they're not making it right.

100% this. I'm absolutely furious at the way state + federal governments have dealt with the pandemic.

I havnt seen my friends or had a meaningful human interaction in 6 months, my career i worked 5 years to build is dead and im going to have to go back to study (my courses were canceled this semester already lmao). I'm basically broke and living at my parents and im almost 30 while the government winds back pandemic support. Like no poo poo its important to beat this pandemic but it doesn't make mine (and im not doing it nearly as bad as a bunch of other people) or a ton of other peoples situation any easier.

I havnt broken restrictions because its not worth it but I feel utterly betrayed and let down.

TammyHEH fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 12, 2020

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

gently caress Dan Andrews. gently caress his contact tracing team. gently caress these ridiculous rules.

I'm consistently breaking the 5km limit rule and I'm encouraging others to do the same.

We obeyed the rules for months, the Government not only caused the second wave, but they haven't invested in contact tracing. If they're not going to do their part, I'm not going to do mine.

I'm not going to put people at risk but I'm going for long drives to take my son to parks, and to secluded reserves where we can meet with friends while remaining socially distant, while wearing masks, etc. gently caress Dan Andrews, gently caress Labor, gently caress this administration for fumbling their loving responsibilities.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Pleasant Friend posted:

Can't they start eliminating the virus block by block, suburb by suburb? Figure out where it is and isn't and make that lockdown zone smaller.

Vic government has already said they won't do this afaik

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Pleasant Friend posted:

They attempted this at the start, trying to lock down specific postcodes, but it doesn't work because people move around too much, and there are too many ways to cross postcode boundaries to create an effective lockdown (See CelestialScribe posts for more exciting reasons to not follow the rules).

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CelestialScribe posted:

gently caress Dan Andrews. gently caress his contact tracing team. gently caress these ridiculous rules.

I'm consistently breaking the 5km limit rule and I'm encouraging others to do the same.

We obeyed the rules for months, the Government not only caused the second wave, but they haven't invested in contact tracing. If they're not going to do their part, I'm not going to do mine.

I'm not going to put people at risk but I'm going for long drives to take my son to parks, and to secluded reserves where we can meet with friends while remaining socially distant, while wearing masks, etc. gently caress Dan Andrews, gently caress Labor, gently caress this administration for fumbling their loving responsibilities.

I hope you accidentally give your kid covid and he forgets how to read, you odball

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Peccadillo posted:

I hope you accidentally give your kid covid and he forgets how to read, you odball

I'm sorry if you think that standing the middle of a field will give you COVID, but I can't cure your stupidity.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Flagrantly violating the 5km rule to drive by the daily presser and show my whole rear end and taint

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Plenty of people are breaking the rules and I'd hazard a guess that most of those people would blame the Govt for a 3rd wave if it happens and take no responsibility for their own actions.

CelestialScribe posted:

While small, this does increase the chances of the virus spreading which then puts people at risk. It might only be a small increase but if 100000 people do it the risk goes up and we end up with the current situation.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Periphery posted:

While small, this does increase the chances of the virus spreading which then puts people at risk. It might only be a small increase but if 100000 people do it the risk goes up and we end up with the current situation.

So does letting intimate partners see each other. I don't see you complaining about that?

Dan Andrews seems to think that seeing a tinder hook-up is more important than me seeing a close friend, in public, in the open, while masked. gently caress him and gently caress the rules.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The problem is that people will take the position that Labor hosed this up, and then shift into supporting the LNP which could only have made things worse. Like you're going to get better social support from going further right. And like you aren't going to get more lowest bidder neoliberalism stuff ups either.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It also makes more work for the contact tracers I care so much about but hey, it's my pandemic, you can't tell me what to do.

bell jar posted:

Fragrantly violating the 5km rule to drive by the daily presser and show my whole rear end and taint

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

It also makes more work for the contact tracers I care so much about but hey, it's my pandemic, you can't tell me what to do.

The contact tracers aren't doing their jobs anyway.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

So does letting intimate partners see each other. I don't see you complaining about that?

Dan Andrews seems to think that seeing a tinder hook-up is more important than me seeing a close friend, in public, in the open, while masked. gently caress him and gently caress the rules.

There are a lot less intimate partners than their are close friends.

The system and modelling had to be set up around rules to limit the spread so the lines have to be drawn somewhere. If the rules aren't followed then the chances of the predictions being accurate decrease. If you choose to not follow the rules don't blame the government for the system failing.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Periphery posted:

If you choose to not follow the rules don't blame the government for the system failing.

I absolutely blame the government for getting us to this point, yes. Yes I do.

From this point? No, I don't blame them. But they've forced Victorians into a position where the only reasonable thing to do is break the rules. So gently caress them.

You seem to be a lot more focused on me killing someone than Dan Andrews, whose government failures have *literally* caused the deaths of dozens of people in this state. Shift your focus.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I curse my parents for teaching me to wipe my rear end, and intentionally try to get conjunctivitis as revenge

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
CelestialScribes posting is the reason we need a bill of rights in Victoria

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

I absolutely blame the government for getting us to this point, yes. Yes I do.

From this point? No, I don't blame them. But they've forced Victorians into a position where the only reasonable thing to do is break the rules. So gently caress them.

You seem to be a lot more focused on me killing someone than Dan Andrews, whose government failures have *literally* caused the deaths of dozens of people in this state. Shift your focus.

And you don't think the 2nd wave could have been caused in part by similar breaches of the rules as is occurring now?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

The problem is that people will take the position that Labor hosed this up, and then shift into supporting the LNP which could only have made things worse. Like you're going to get better social support from going further right. And like you aren't going to get more lowest bidder neoliberalism stuff ups either.

It's really this. All the anti-Labor stuff is mostly shady poo poo like Twitter polls being targeted by bots and that danliedpeopledied hashtag that was started by an Egyptian account or the Murdoch media running amok. Or Facebook craziness. Legitimate criticism of the Andrews government is one thing, but people deciding the LNP, much less the clownshow that is the Victorian Liberals, would somehow handle it better is insane.

I know people who did that "give Dan the boot" protest and none of them could really give a response to questions of who they would rather lead the Labor party, much less have any concept of how far we are away from the next election, or how the public service that advises policy isn't elected.

Thankfully these wierdos are still small in number.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Periphery posted:

And you don't think the 2nd wave could have been caused in part by similar breaches of the rules as is occurring now?

The 2nd wave occurred because security guards were not trained properly and there was not a system in place to prevent their own personal mistakes (yes, flagrant restriction breaking) from threatening the community.

That is Dan Andrews' failure, and his failure alone. And if it was a Liberal government you would say the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

I know people who did that "give Dan the boot" protest and none of them could really give a response to questions of who they would rather lead the Labor party,

It isn't their problem. Dan Andrews hosed up, he needs to go. Not really an issue.