Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just got a text saying that if I care about racial justice then I should vote No on Prop 16 because it allows the government to discriminate based on race and sex in hiring decisions. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Infinite Karma posted:

How about we just remove Prop 13 from everything

:cheers:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There’s too many boomers waiting for their inheritance or the chance to own California real estate at a super low tax rate for that kind of Prop 13 reform to happen.

Probably not as many boomers waiting for inheritances as you think. I'm at the tail end of the boomers, and I'm over 60. Boomer kids are mostly Gen X - Gen Y.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah the problem isn't the boomers who want to own property, it's the ones that currently do, and want it to simultaneously be considered their humble homestead that they're hanging on to with pluck and grit, and have a guarantee that one day they will be able to reap a massive reward for being smart enough to have money at one point in the 70s or 80s.

If it's shelter, fine, there's an argument to be made for subsidizing that. If it's a appreciating capital asset, pay your loving taxes on it.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Houses are apartments now, they are businesses. Open street view in google maps on any street in Rialto for example, and see how many houses have 3-6 cars in front, in the middle of the day. Those are all renters. Grandma has 4 mortgages now and those packs of renters are paying them off. It’s free real estate.

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 9, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Infinite Karma posted:

How about we just remove Prop 13 from everything except for owner-occupied primary residences? No second homes, no rental homes, no transfers at the current tax rate (if you move your primary residence, you get Prop 13 protection at the rate you bought the new house for), no commercial properties. And only that as a concession to grandma who would actually be homeless if you made her sell her now-unaffordable house (and knowing that her pension/social security isn't enough to afford a rental).

Like everyone says, most of the wealth in the US is owned by the same 55+ year old ghouls that Prop 13 is supposedly protecting from homelessness. Are they poor and at the mercy of public welfare programs? Or the richest cohort in the history of the world?

For me, my concern is that if I and my neighbor both own homes with the same value, then we should be paying the same property tax. I don't give a poo poo about when they bought their property vs. when I bought my property. If we have what is effectively the same house, then we should be paying the same taxes on that house.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The only compromise I'm okay with short of "complete repeal, join the civilized world in paying taxes you fuckers," is (1) Commercial repeal + (2) Eliminate the inheritance pass-down. Want to keep Grandma's $10M estate? Pay taxes on it like it's worth $10M or gently caress off and sell it.

Ideally, wipe the whole thing. Other highly-populated states manage to keep retirees in their homes just fine without creating a de facto landed gentry.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fermun posted:

There's a "Progressive Voter Guide" going around which is saying to vote Yes on 22. It's apparently pretty drat cheap to buy an endorsement these days, because Uber/Lyft only paid them $20K.
https://twitter.com/chrisarvinsf/status/1314447124105371649
gently caress Uber/Lyft/DoorDash

Wow, free speech in action! What a beautiful marketplace of ideas!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
The best money can afford!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"American Nurses Association"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you, a moron: "prop 13 is bad, let's at least repeal it for commercial property"

me, pro-housing and anti-racist: "if we let governments get taxes from commercial property they won't build anything else"

https://twitter.com/uhshanti/status/1314692583981903872

if we spend all our vespene gas on malls we won't be able to build more apartments.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

All that unusable commercial space eating up the land bringing in no revenue! But at least the tax bill is lower!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Keyser_Soze posted:

"American Nurses Association"

American Nurses Association Ltd.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Goodpancakes posted:

All that unusable commercial space eating up the land bringing in no revenue! But at least the tax bill is lower!
Society shouldn't tax the rich. If it did, society would become dependent on the revenue gained from taxing the rich, and would favor the interests of the rich over the general public.

By exempting commercial property and the rich from taxation, and shifting that tax burden onto ordinary people we can finally take power back from the plutocracy!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PG&E has killed again

https://twitter.com/pohl_jason/status/1314693280114700289?s=20

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

PG&E has killed again

what's their confirmed death count at nowadays?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Bobcat fire is thought to be caused by Edison lmao.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Nationalize em all, find a different way to fund calpers

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Elissia posted:

what's their confirmed death count at nowadays?

definitely 100+

150?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
love too see a think tank named "Housing Action Coalition" that thinks land use isn't already fiscalized

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
worst part about PG&E's bullshit is that even if a responsible entity took them over it'd take like a loving decade to fix all the poo poo they neglected. it'd be better to pay people to move out of high risk fire areas while fixing all PG&E's broken poo poo, imo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Nationalize em all, find a different way to fund calpers

But how would we PAY for it?!?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The feds should be in charge of public utilities full stop. Private companies should not be entrusted with vital architecture. This of course also means the feds would have to actually fix their poo poo as well, so we are doubly hosed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Do any of you guys have a quick proposition guide for progressive voters that I could share? I have a lot of friends in California and although I don't expect my Facebook sharing to change the world, I'd like to signal boost what I can.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

Do any of you guys have a quick proposition guide for progressive voters that I could share? I have a lot of friends in California and although I don't expect my Facebook sharing to change the world, I'd like to signal boost what I can.

From a few pages back.

unbutthurtable posted:

I realized I posted this in the LA LAN thread, but it's relevant here too: DSA-LA finished this year's voter guide. You can get it at this link: https://dsa-la.org/2020voterguide

edit: it has props in it so its relevant statewide in those sections

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

The feds should be in charge of public utilities full stop. Private companies should not be entrusted with vital architecture. This of course also means the feds would have to actually fix their poo poo as well, so we are doubly hosed.

its mindblowing that our "public utilities" have shareholders. like i can buy it on robinhood right now lmao. Incredibly hosed up. Anything with stock is primarily driven to create shareholder value and not, you know, provide their public utility at as close to cost as possible to ratepayers and not burn down the state on the reg. maybe even invest in R&D for a better tomorrow and not quarterly profits? HMMMMMM

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also why the hell is edison stock surging so hard since oct 1? might be time to place some puts if it comes out that they did the bobcat fire. it's free money. :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://www.theleaguesf.org/voter_guides has good one and their reasoning that i agreed with
Pete Rates the Props has been a staple for like 2 decades now and usually pretty decent, although hes pretty lib and i don't agree with some of it: http://www.peterates.com/index.shtml

Prop 25 is an super bad one you'll see options on and such a shitshow, neither are good. i ended up doing yes but only reluctantly and either option is "i hope legislature fixes it". yes at least shows that cash bail needed to go away but hoping legislature fixes the "racist computer" problem later; "no" shows that people love cash bail and isn't likely to be seen as a referendum against the racist algorithm part of it; so it's still hoping that legislature comes back and passes an actual cash-bail elimination bill sans racist computer problem (which also is ????)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 11, 2020

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Xaris posted:

https://www.theleaguesf.org/voter_guides has good one and their reasoning that i agreed with
Pete Rates the Props has been a staple for like 2 decades now and usually pretty decent, although hes pretty lib and i don't agree with some of it: http://www.peterates.com/index.shtml

Prop 25 is an super bad one you'll see options on and such a shitshow, neither are good. i ended up doing yes but only reluctantly and either option is "i hope legislature fixes it". yes at least shows that cash bail needed to go away but hoping legislature fixes the "racist computer" problem later; "no" shows that people love cash bail and isn't likely to be seen as a referendum against the racist algorithm part of it; so it's still hoping that legislature comes back and passes an actual cash-bail elimination bill sans racist computer problem (which also is ????)

....so you decided to allow racist cops and racist algorithms determine whether impoverished people of color are eligible for bail at all? Poor choice.

If you recognize that our justice system is absolutely hosed, vote no on Prop 25.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Example of the kind of algorithm Prop 25/SB10 is likely to use:

This is from Virginia pretrial risk assessment instrument, which is one of the widespread existing ones.

Racist in that past convictions, drug use, and employment are all racially correlated. They all also seem reasonably likely to be predictive.
i.e.
- comparing a white person with their BIPOC doppelganger, the BIPOC version is more likely to have a past conviction
- comparing someone with their unemployed same-race doppelganger, the unemployed version is more likely to skip out on court
can both be true

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
No racist algorithms in a racist system!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Foxfire_ posted:

Example of the kind of algorithm Prop 25/SB10 is likely to use:

This is from Virginia pretrial risk assessment instrument, which is one of the widespread existing ones.

Racist in that past convictions, drug use, and employment are all racially correlated. They all also seem reasonably likely to be predictive.
i.e.
- comparing a white person with their BIPOC doppelganger, the BIPOC version is more likely to have a past conviction
- comparing someone with their unemployed same-race doppelganger, the unemployed version is more likely to skip out on court
can both be true

I knew it. I knew it was just some loving charts. Computer algorithm my rear end in a top hat.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My questions on Prop 23 and 25, which are the only two I think I'm unsure about at this point:

Prop 23: Does anyone know why this is on the ballot instead of at the negotiating table? As a former bargaining member, this being on the ballot says to me the membership isn't willing to walk over it, or else they'd be doing that instead of bringing it to voters. Does membership as a whole support this prop? My initial reaction to this is that the narrative of "this will cause more dialysis patients to die because we will have to close clinics" is a soft threat from management that they'd rather close a bunch of places over diminishing their bottom line, which sucks, but if everything this prop does is for the ultimate benefit of patients and management won't budge then why aren't they striking over it?

Prop 25: Can we send a message that we hate cash bail and then work to fix the issues with this through activism aimed at getting our representatives to solve the algorithmic and judge bias issues everyone voting against this is bringing up? Is this an issue I can solve by calling my representative weekly to ask what they are doing to make the system more fair?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

prop 25 is a lovely choice by design because it's an attempt to resolve the topline issue of cash bail while not disturbing the fundamental need of the prison system to disproportionately lock up minorities and poor people.

you're not being given the opportunity to vote against locking people up for the crime of being poor or looking brown on purpose

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 12, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

When do we get a prop to burn the prison system down?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Quidthulhu posted:

Prop 25: Can we send a message that we hate cash bail and then work to fix the issues with this through activism aimed at getting our representatives to solve the algorithmic and judge bias issues everyone voting against this is bringing up? Is this an issue I can solve by calling my representative weekly to ask what they are doing to make the system more fair?
certainly wouldn't hurt but that's pretty much the "hope" there. that's the very lovely thing and i kind of agreed with pete rates here is that quite possibly "no" is likely to be taken as "we love cash bail! its so great!" and not "pre-trial risk assessment is bullshit". i think there's a very slightly higher chance of having both cash bail eliminated and "pre-trial risk assessment" being reformed/eliminated through rule/legislature changes not much long after via 25 passing than saying "no we love cash bail plz dont delete" and hoping legislature eventually does it at some point in the far future ??? anyways (and, quite likely that if they did pass one 5 years from now it'd just be the exact same bullshit anyways). there's also insane systematic injustice in bail already as its largely up to judge to set it as it is so its all very sucky. the good thing is there isn't any insane restriction over why the assessment chart can't be simply changed via governor decrees/legislature with simple majority (unlike say prop 22 which requires 87% of legislature to vote to change it lol) so that's a pretty easy fix and i think its easier to advocate for that smaller aspect than both the goliath of cash bail industry and pre-trial poo poo. neither option is acceptable though and both rely on 'hope'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Don't vote to keep cash bail because the replacement is Not Ideal. That's what further propositions and complaining to your reps are for.

GrandpaPants posted:

When do we get a prop to burn the prison system down?

Draw one up and collect enough signatures. I'll sign it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't vote to keep cash bail because the replacement is Not Ideal. That's what further propositions and complaining to your reps are for.

That's not how propositions function and a Yes on Prop 25 is pretty goddamn disastrous and gives more arbitrary power to a bloated, racist system. To imply that the problem with it is that it's "not ideal" is farcical and indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of how laws function in the US. If you want to eliminate cash bail (which I do, I also want to burn down prisons and have worked in prison abolition/justice reform advocacy for 20+ years, am the daughter of a pretty important CA civil rights attorney and am applying to law schools to take over for pops even tho I'm old now) then a far more efficacious method would be to elect more DAs like Chesa Boudin.

https://knock-la.com/vote-no-on-prop-25-cash-bail-sb-10-bad-cd9fe3d3af19
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Prop-25-banning-money-bail-does-not-promote-15629811.php

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
voting no on prop 25 is a vote to repeal sb 10, which would then keep in place the cash bail system and which the bail bonds industry has spent millions trying to get you to do

so no thanks i'll be voting yes on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
and replaces cash bail system (also bad) with wide discretion for racist judges and inherently racially biased "crime preventing algorithms" to keep poor and brown people in prison in perpetuity, which is why the NAACP, ACLU, Human Rights Watch and SF Public Defenders oppose it.

Cash bail is bad, Prop 25 is loving evil