Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the amt of people still holding weddings is baffling to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

at least 3 people I know held their weddings recently :gonk:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently the Victoria premier was like "well poo poo 5-15 cases per day might be the best we can do" and is considering opening er up as-is. All that work and sacrifice for slightly better numbers temporarily.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Apparently the Victoria premier was like "well poo poo 5-15 cases per day might be the best we can do" and is considering opening er up as-is. All that work and sacrifice for slightly better numbers temporarily.

drat, Dan let them get to him :smith:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I guess it wasn't entirely for nothing because it seems like some ground has been made on the treatment side in the last 8 months

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Why the gently caress are people in such a rush to get married? It's 2020. Marriage is a piece of loving paper.

Unless you're LGBT where it becomes much more of a symbol of equality but still. Cis het marriages are a meaningless gesture.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Oct 12, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Google Butt posted:

I guess it wasn't entirely for nothing because it seems like some ground has been made on the treatment side in the last 8 months

Its a shame though because the rest of Australia had beaten the virus so we could've been like New Zealand and really truly opened er up.

Now the other states will never let us visit.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

inferis posted:

doesn’t that kind of treatment mean he isn’t immune from getting it again?

The kind of protection conferred from just having antibodies artificially transferred into your body is pretty short lived unless you keep getting it boosted

That's before you consider the fact that people were getting COVID, recovering, and then getting it again months later

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Google Butt posted:

Rah and snoo, buy half masks it'll save you money in the long run, seal better and has a built in social distancing radius

Google Butt posted:

https://www.mcmaster.com/54445T125/

If you can afford it I highly recommend getting two sizes if you're anywhere in between and gifting the one that doesn't fit as well to a smaller face haver

Everyone should consider getting this 3M respirator from ebay. It's much cheaper, and it's the one I use every day so I can vouch for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224042126108

The cartridges are tear gas proof in addition to COVID proof --- p100 filters remove even smaller particles than n95. It does have a nice round protrusion for its exhalation valve so you can easily seal that off with rubber band + paper towel. Others don't.

Reusable forever for only $40. In non industrial settings where you're not breathing solvents all day it will never get clogged. Lightly bleach with a paper towel and dry it before you put it on every day to disinfect it, making sure not to get the actual filter innards wet. Wear it much looser than you think you need or you'll hurt your face. Do the seal test to make sure, but it will still seal fine if you have it lined up right.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

On a side note re: opening er up, I live next to a high school which is now doing in person classes again as of this week. So fun to walk past 100 teenagers on the way to work, especially now that they think they can hog the whole sidewalk with no one else out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AceOfFlames posted:

Why the gently caress are people in such a rush to get married? It's 2020. Marriage is a piece of loving paper.

Unless you're LGBT where it becomes much more of a symbol of equality but still. Cis het marriages are a meaningless gesture.

I got married in 2018 ten months before our physical wedding, for a $1000 tax break and healthcare reasons. We broke up and still haven't finalized the divorce because there's way more paperwork, even with no assets and no children involved.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The actual wedding poo poo is bullshit but getting the piece of paper is still important for things like visiting your spouse in the hospital or life insurance poo poo from work, etc.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

We complied with my parents' 50th wedding anniversary by having them for the weekend in our house last summer, and I'd like nothing more than to celebrate my dad's 80th next month but everyone else has given up their birthday parties this year and he's going to too. He's cool with the idea of living to 81, but my mom is not so sure.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

The actual wedding poo poo is bullshit but getting the piece of paper is still important for things like visiting your spouse in the hospital or life insurance poo poo from work, etc.

Can you get the piece of paper remotely though?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

It is an event worthy of celebration too, but that can be had at a pretty reasonable cost if you're sensible about it. And outside of a global pandemic.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:capitalism: lmao :rip: world :sad:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

https://www.mcmaster.com/54445T125/

If you can afford it I highly recommend getting two sizes if you're anywhere in between and gifting the one that doesn't fit as well to a smaller face haver

cool thanks for the link!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

you can def do it without 200 unmasked people in attendance including your elderly relatives and immunocompromised parents if the courts are open

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AceOfFlames posted:

I tried to do my poo poo as low key as possible and from my understanding you still need like 4people. Spouses and 2 witnesses in most places. Dunno if it's gone remote at all.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I have friends who got married on paper like 6 years before they held their actual wedding (marriage was due to a health scare where otherwise they wouldn't have visitation rights if stuff went south again).

Nothing wrong with getting that paper signed. Having a wedding though? Yeah, don't.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Pump Jockey posted:

And that’s just Halloween — the “do anything and everything necessary to make Christmas magical for the kids” sentiment is completely out of control during a normal year, I don’t even want to know what the January/February fallout from Christmas 2020 is going to be like.
i for one, cannot wait for the inevitable million+ covid spike immediately following black friday
These people are so stupid. They're so loving stupid, I can't, i cannot fathom it. :cripes:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i for one, cannot wait for the inevitable million+ covid spike immediately following black friday

Who would have thought reality would be even dumber than The Division

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Blaziken386 posted:

it doesn't count as a black friday trampling death if they died with covid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Didn’t Walmart say they weren’t going to do Black Friday?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Again with the absurd attendance estimations. Do these people think video doesn't exist?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Steve Yun posted:

that was then, this is now

I'd say it's incredibly likely for them to be like "actually we've gotten pretty good at safety guidelines so we're gonna go ahead with it, hopefully customers will follow our floor markers, but if they don't we're not liable ;)"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Steve Yun posted:

if they did I would expect them to instead have some identical-but-renamed consumption festival that does the same damage, like instead of black friday it's wally wednesday

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Helith posted:

snoo was right

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol

UK/europe starting to pop off big time, catching up to their mentally unwell junior colony

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

UK/europe starting to pop off big time, catching up to their mentally unwell junior colony

We pushed back the first wave but Number didn't like it so we're going to let the second wave wash over us

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

does black friday even exist meaningfully anymore? even like before COVID, i thought it was basically on its way out because internet shopping is far too easy

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

snoo knew

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just realised I've been in lockdown for over 200 days. That sucks rear end.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

does black friday even exist meaningfully anymore? even like before COVID, i thought it was basically on its way out because internet shopping is far too easy

nah its been a shell of itself for many years now. all the funny insane black friday crowd rioting and murderdeath rampage videos are usually quite old at this point and aint much new content coming in these days. still sometimes there's chaos but it's really a shell of its former self. TVs are already super cheap these days and "doorbuster" deals are usually just like $20 off a smally pallet of 40x $300 TCL tv or something anyways. Target sometimes has some OK deals on random stuff like maybe glass tupperware but it's not much and less people are bothering. plus it often starts at like 10pm the day before these days too and its just normal shopping with typical MSRP prices but in a bigger crowd, with maybe a small handful of slightly discounted items. there's some money to be saved if there's some doorbuster loss-leader that really lines up with a need, but it's not substantial and most people have been catching on

cyber monday is gunna be a shitshow tho

Xaris has issued a correction as of 11:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
There are new cases in China and they put an entire city under lock down (Qingdao).

Of course, this is after national week, which is another type of mass migration holiday that started this whole mess.

This is never gonna stop, is it?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

You're probably going to have to make it work with a NSW suppression strategy and hope it dies out from here while slowly opening and working the clusters. Brains have crack pinged in Victoria this week, consent is being manufactured to open er up. Bullshit like this in on the news.

https://twitter.com/michael47818552/status/1315386531553538048

I think if there is another major outbreak in another state it's going to be hosed, there will be reluctance to impose restrictions and compliance is only going to get worse.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Hopper posted:

Do not go to England under any circumstances right now. If you are already there, stay where you are and hunker down. poo poo is real bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

quote:

However, these figures include only people who have died within 28 days of testing positive for coronavirus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Hopper posted:

Do not go to England under any circumstances right now. If you are already there, stay where you are and hunker down. poo poo is real bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6NCXmVP6KQ