Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
An impact finisher is just any finisher where you slam them onto the mat. (Or onto your knee or whatever.) Drivers, bombs, neckbreakers, flowsions, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Michinoku Driver II-B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdboKiTfKjk

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe as a tribute to Daniels the man who invented it and had it cruelly stolen away by Reno.

Also it looks really good when Cody does it.

And everyone sells it so damned well. I liked Brodie's crumple a lot

I should probably have contributed. I'm blinded by growing up in the Attitude Era when everyone had one finisher for years and it usually won, so I love the Stunner, the Rock's Bottom, and the Jackhammer, but I think my most recent one is the elevated Death Rider. For ones I hadn't seen at all until recently. Distinct, swift, final

I just can't think of any stand out innovations in the last decade

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I should probably have contributed. I'm blinded by growing up in the Attitude Era when everyone had one finisher for years and it usually won, so I love the Stunner, the Rock's Bottom, and the Jackhammer, but I think my most recent one is the elevated Death Rider. For ones I hadn't seen at all until recently. Distinct, swift, final

I just can't think of any stand out innovations in the last decade

We all love The Rock's Bottom but we have banned horny posting on these forums :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Diabolik900 posted:

I have trouble considering the lionsault a finishing move when he would rarely even successfully land it, let alone finish a match with it.

Here’s a question: are there any other signature moves that get blocked/countered as often as the lionsault?

Razor Ramon going for a Razor's Edge to the outside. That spot always bugged me. He was hinting at a move that he was realistically never going to pull off safely as setup for his opponent to backdrop him out of the ring.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I don't know if he'll ever use it again, but Jeff Cobb broke out a running backdrop in his match against Ishii and it was the coolest looking move ever.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Was always partial to the backdrop driver for an impact finisher.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

I have trouble considering the lionsault a finishing move when he would rarely even successfully land it, let alone finish a match with it.

Here’s a question: are there any other signature moves that get blocked/countered as often as the lionsault?

Taichi's thrust kick after he does the tearaway pants spot.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Destino too.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the gotch style piledriver has been the most protected move in new japan as i don't believe anyone has ever kicked out of it during his entire 2011-present new japan run although it did happen during the two years he spent in noah in the middle of that period. on the flip side he almost never manages to sucessfully hit it on main event level talent anymore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ron Simmons' WCW Spinebuster:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23qaiq

Starts at 26:00 minutes in, watch the entire segment to see a bunch of them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The two impact finishers I never see but when I do I adore are God's Last Gift/Small Package Driver and Amaze Impact/Reverse Chokeslam. Both look like absolute death when done well. God's Last Gift really stands out that no one picked it up after Tyler Black became Seth and it's just so god drat great.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
KUSHIDA did it a few times and named it the Back to the Future and Seth got salty (because obviously)

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/seth-rollins-and-kushida-come-agreement-over-disputed-move

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
is The Mandible Claw one of the most protected submission finishers ever? I don't remember many people ever getting out of it with Mankind, and recently with Brit/Fiend using it.

just a random thing, but I like the one cool thing most Randy matches have is the RKO counter spot (before he hits it later and wins anyways) - The 3 that stick out in my mind are Seth getting rko'd mid stomp 10ft in the air, Ali popping back up with his hands, and recently with Keith Lee just powering through it and holding Randy up - any other finishers that always have creative counters? You'd think you'd scout you're opponent and figure out a counter but no one seems to bother in wrestling except versus Randall :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWaavRHjrE

e: I also like that no one ever bothered to just roll over while The Rock was running the ropes for the people's elbow (though maybe that did happen I just don't remember during that era)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 11, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well in that case I've always had a soft spot for the Steiner Screwdriver. Just looks like absolute murder.

Did he ever injure anyone with it? It looks really dangerous.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Deathlove posted:

KUSHIDA did it a few times and named it the Back to the Future and Seth got salty (because obviously)

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/seth-rollins-and-kushida-come-agreement-over-disputed-move

Funnily enough he actually chilled out when KUSHIDA said its 2017 and given he's barely used it since at least he recognised that was dumb.

It did remind me of one of the dumbest online feuds in WWE women ever, when two women argued over using a bridging inverted crossface with the smarter of the two pointing out it was invented by The Great Muta and was literally called a Muta Lock. Move ownership is so weird.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk on how mid 2000s Jimmy Rave was the most underrated wrestler in the indies with his move steal gimmick and Jimmy Rave v Bryan Danielson at Unscripted II is an underrated classic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kennel posted:

i'm not sure, but i think he shortened hiroshi hase's lifespan with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AilmQvekT-0&t=74s

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'm sure he injured a ton of people with it unofficially, especially those jobbers they brought in to take them for like Saturday Superstars. Steiners were known to work stiff and with that move the only thing from crippling their spine is Scott's massive thighs.

I'm sure he caused a lot of people to take a ton of painkillers and man it up is what I'm probably getting at

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

In theory it shouldn't be any more dangerous than a normal piledriver but then again Scott Steiner is an absolute maniac so probably?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

In theory it shouldn't be any more dangerous than a normal piledriver but then again Scott Steiner is an absolute maniac so probably?

Frankly I'd be more worried about the Frankensteiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4zPsa638A

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Frankly I'd be more worried about the Frankensteiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4zPsa638A

Well, the Frankensteiner is a move where all the control is done by the person taking it, so I don't think we can fault Scott for that one.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Goldust's Shattered Dreams springs to mind.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Hirez posted:

just a random thing, but I like the one cool thing most Randy matches have is the RKO counter spot (before he hits it later and wins anyways) - The 3 that stick out in my mind are Seth getting rko'd mid stomp 10ft in the air, Ali popping back up with his hands, and recently with Keith Lee just powering through it and holding Randy up - any other finishers that always have creative counters?

i think the rainmaker fits here. For the last few years everybody and their mother got to counter a rainmaker, or at least escape the wrist control, in a big match with Okada. Honestly too many to name, though I still love Kenny just dodging it by falling to his knees in exhaustion.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what wrestlers have gotten a Gold Watch title run and were able to turn it into an actually pretty good reign? i know some will disagree but the first name that comes to mind for me is Mark Henry in 2011

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

what wrestlers have gotten a Gold Watch title run and were able to turn it into an actually pretty good reign? i know some will disagree but the first name that comes to mind for me is Mark Henry in 2011

Christian's 2nd one and the feud with Orton in general was good.

Chris Daniels ROH title reign, too. It wasn't incredible, but it was solid, and the title win itself was probably the last great ROH moment.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 11, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

The Last Rites looks really good when the guy sells it like they got their head jammed into the mat with their neck at a bad angle, instead of just a flat front bump.

Elevated DDTs are always excellent because it could actually kill someone, and you could conceivably pull it off.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

The Last Rites looks really good when the guy sells it like they got their head jammed into the mat with their neck at a bad angle, instead of just a flat front bump.

Elevated DDTs are always excellent because it could actually kill someone, and you could conceivably pull it off.

more people should do vertebreakers and real crucifix powerbombs where guys bump on their shoulders, not their backs

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Crucifix Powerbomb is a really dangerous move, if you gently caress it up, you're throwing the guy backwards onto his neck.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

JOHN CENA posted:

Henry is absolutely the best choice. His title win ended up saving SmackDown from a complete business collapse that was happening with Orton as champion. Just a couple weeks earlier, the 9/6/2011 SmackDown taping in Toledo drew 1,600 paid (with there being an equal number of comps to make the building look presentable on TV). Henry's title win reversed the trend enough to stop the bleeding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Was always partial to the backdrop driver for an impact finisher.

He said recent. This video is so old it's in black and white!

Lid posted:

The two impact finishers I never see but when I do I adore are God's Last Gift/Small Package Driver and Amaze Impact/Reverse Chokeslam. Both look like absolute death when done well. God's Last Gift really stands out that no one picked it up after Tyler Black became Seth and it's just so god drat great.

He used it once in WWE a few years ago, against Finn in that Universal title match where Finn died.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thauros posted:

the gotch style piledriver has been the most protected move in new japan as i don't believe anyone has ever kicked out of it during his entire 2011-present new japan run although it did happen during the two years he spent in noah in the middle of that period. on the flip side he almost never manages to sucessfully hit it on main event level talent anymore.

Ishii basically never hits the Vertical Drop Brainbuster on someone if it's not the finish either.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Diabolik900 posted:

Whatever Ric Flair is going for when he gets slammed off the top.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Crucifix Powerbomb is a really dangerous move, if you gently caress it up, you're throwing the guy backwards onto his neck.

That's why it owns

That's why I'm a fan of the burning hammer too

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red posted:

Whatever Ric Flair is going for when he gets slammed off the top.

IIRC, he finally hit whatever it was always meant to be on a random throw-away PPV or a random Raw in the mid-2000s, and it turned out to be a double axe-handle from the top turnbuckle.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Flair won the world championship off Harley Race at the first Starrcade with a crossbody off the top rope.

He also won his first world championship after Dusty failed to suplex him after he scaled the top rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7ZuQHnx1Q

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vagabundo posted:

IIRC, he finally hit whatever it was always meant to be on a random throw-away PPV or a random Raw in the mid-2000s, and it turned out to be a double axe-handle from the top turnbuckle.

If I'm not mistaken, the first time he finally hit the double axehandle was a random Nitro or Thunder in '99-'00 and the commentary didn't even mention it even though the crowd lost their poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SLUM KING posted:

Flair won the world championship off Harley Race at the first Starrcade with a crossbody off the top rope.

He also won his first world championship after Dusty failed to suplex him after he scaled the top rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7ZuQHnx1Q

When he won the IC title off of I want to say Carlito, I believe he used a cross body

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I like to believe Flair's character constantly goes "This move won the biggest match of my life 40 years ago, it's sure to work this time too"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DeathChicken posted:

I like to believe Flair's character constantly goes "This move won the biggest match of my life 40 years ago, it's sure to work this time too"

"I beat Harley Race with this move, and you sir are no Harley Race..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If Flair was a face, he usually hit his top rope move; if he was a heel, he almost always got caught.