Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

JBP posted:

I heard that Dave Hughes is a Russian assassin.

I can just hear Hughes saying “Russian assassin”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always thought that Memri TV guy going on about Albanians looked like Hughsey

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Sierra Madre posted:

Because for the past half-century our national outlook has been 'she'll be right mate' and somehow we've maintained a functional country, and this is the one time where this laidback approach isn't acceptable. But the whole thing has been written into our DNA, so a few months into this quarantine people are just giving up and telling themselves that it'll probably be OK, they won't get COVID and even if they do they'll probably be asymptomatic and not spread it to anyone they care about.

I've been thinking about something for a while now and I'd like anyone presently in the Melbourne area to ask themselves this: since the beginning of this second lockdown, has your life been noticeably improved as a result of declining cases? Because this is what I'm really worried about : people see cases go down, but there's nothing in it for them. You're still stuck at home, there's a chance you've lost your main source of income, if you still have a job you're likely working less and earning less, you can't do poo poo with your time and money because everything is closed, you're being told by the government that you have to observe all these rules but they expect you to have the means to abide by them. (If masks are necessary then they should be supplied by the state at no cost. If staying indoors is mandatory then housing should be provided and evictions should be illegal. I know that even the most progressive Labor governments would be hesitant, but that's what you need to do in this situation.) You've observed, to the best of your ability, all the guidelines that the state government has placed on you. But cases have not decreased to the degree that was expected or required to loosen restrictions. 'Sorry, you did what we asked but it's still not good enough. Hey, maybe we'll let you have two guests in your house instead of one. Good luck with keeping that house.' You don't even see the fruits of that collective action. What does declining COVID cases look like to the individual, if not just a number on the news?

I think there's a real hesitation, especially in this thread, to ignore or downplay the very real consequences of lockdown because it's the best option we have. The problem is that it's still an awful, alienating and destructive course of action, but the alternative is mass death and despair so we (and I'm guilty of this too) tell ourselves that it's actually good and necessary and that the plan must be followed. Except the plan is only a set of restrictions, a list of things we can't do. And if there's no improvement, not even the short-term promise of improvement, then people will ask why they're obeying these rules. I'm sorry, but we can talk about civic virtue and collective responsibility, but there are real material and social needs that are being starved here, and all that poo poo about civic virtue won't satisfy those needs.

For what it's worth, I believe that this quarantine is necessary. Aside from attending the protests earlier this year, I've not left my home for anything except essential reasons. I think any path towards elimination is the correct one, since I don't expect a vaccine to be readily available... poo poo, maybe not even next year. But I think even our best efforts might not be enough, and at some point enough people will reach a breaking point. And I fear that a country who has lived by 'she'll be right mate' for so long has the willpower to see this awful lockdown through.

Sorry for all the blackpill poo poo, this quarantine is inspiring me to stop lurking.

I wouldnt say my life has gotten better with the reduction in cases, I still feel totally frustrated and hosed over. All this stuff about staying the course and doing your bit rings really hollow to me when it comes from people who are doing it much better then you are.

TammyHEH fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 13, 2020

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Tommunist posted:

I wouldnt say my life has gotten better with the reduction in cases, I still feel totally frustrated and hosed over. All this stuff about staying the course and doing your bit rings really hollow to me when it comes from people who are doing it much better then you are.

I know this has been covered, but to add to this, the support provided by government really is disappointing. When everyone is getting hit hard, support really needs to extended to everyone for the community to buy in and it needs to be not poo poo. Unlike at the start of the crisis, there are not as many unknowns now, but we're back to ideology driven policy and support that's clearly inadequate because much of it already was prior to the crisis. It's quite understandable people becoming selfish at this point when you feel you've been let down.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Into The Mild posted:

I can just hear Hughes saying “Russian assassin”

gently caress, same.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Despite my suggestions for relaxing restrictions being seen as somehow radical or not caring about other people, it seems the vast majority of Victorians agree:

quote:

Victorians surveyed were each asked the following questions to determine their attitudes towards the current Victorian Government Stage 4 directives:

Question 1: “Melbourne residents are currently banned from visiting the homes of immediate family members with the exception of singles, delivering care or essential services. Should Melbourne residents now be able to visit the homes of their immediate families?” Yes 73% (up 14% from two weeks ago) cf. No 27% (down 14%).

Question 2: “Melbourne’s restaurants/hotels/clubs/cafes are only allowed to offer take-away or food delivery services. Should Melbourne’s restaurants/hotels/clubs/cafes now be allowed to provide table service with proper social distancing?” Yes 62% (up 6% from two weeks ago) cf. No 38% (down 6%).

Question 3: “Melbourne residents are currently restricted from travelling more than 5km from their homes for exercise or buying essential items such as food. Should Melbourne residents now be free to travel more than 5km from their home?” Yes 72% (up 11% from two weeks ago) cf. No 28% (down 11%).

Question 4: "If a new Coronavirus vaccine became publicly available, would you be willing to be vaccinated?" Yes 85% cf. No 15%. Little changed from April 2020: Yes 87% cf. No 7%. Don't know 6%.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8541-roy-morgan-survey-on-stage-4-restrictions-in-victoria-october-14-2020-202010130724

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Despite my suggestions for relaxing restrictions being seen as somehow radical or not caring about other people, it seems the vast majority of Victorians agree:

I think you misunderstand why people were angry at you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Your suggestion was to flout restrictions, not lift them. Not only personally but for everyone else to.

AFAIK family to family transmissions have been a big driver in cases in the wild, so the first quoted question & answer should be enough to tell you people are tired of lockdown but also loving stupid.

Everyone thinks they are the protagonist of life, of course they being responsible and perfect, should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want, they could/would never spread the virus. wow, can't believe there are so many people answering yes to this question.

gently caress Joe Hildebrand gif except it's celestial scribe.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 13, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I'm loving dying to see family but roll on third impact wave.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Tommunist posted:

Oh I understand why people are angry. I just don't give a poo poo. I'm not taking part in any activity that puts people at risk whatsoever, (or at least, not any more than the current restrictions do), so I don't really care.

The problem is that because the state has been so militant about these restrictions, anything that breaks them is seen as "spreading the virus", even when that's not the case.

This morning, I drove outside my 10km limit to a secluded reserve, where I took a walk. There was no one there, I wore a mask, and there was absolutely no risk of passing the virus on to anyone. But because the messaging around these restrictions has been so good, that type of activity is seen as "spreading the virus". That's obviously ridiculous.

I'm fully supportive of the intimate partner rule. I think it's important. But if you support that rule, you should also support people being allowed to see each other in an open area, masked, and socially distant. People can already do so right now, as long as they live within 5km of each other. Is the risk somehow more if I live...5.5km away from someone? No.

So the issue is not "you're spreading the virus", the issue is, "you're making it potentially harder for contact tracers to lock a cluster down". Which, you know, fair enough. But considering epidemiologists have said that the 5km rule is questionable anyway...(https://www.smh.com.au/national/melbourne-s-five-kilometre-rule-is-it-really-worth-it-20200928-p55zwi.html)

Edit:

I also want to point out that back in May/June, people in this thread actively supported the BLM protests in the city. What I'm doing is no riskier than that.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 13, 2020

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

CelestialScribe posted:

You have no self awareness about this. You put on a big song and dance about how hosed everything is, spouting sovereign citizen level bullshit about the government and you wont follow their drat rules and when pressed about what you'd want changed, offer up the some pretty mild suggestions that in no way match your rants.
People aren't angry at you just because you proudly state that you're breaking the rules, it's your bullshit attitude and overwrought whining about the situation combined with your selfish stupidity that pisses everyone off

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CS that is the first post in a long while where you haven’t come across as frenzied and manic.

Good job.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anyway, on that survey most people want immediate family lifted so they can dump their kids off at nan’s for free childcare.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm not taking part in any activity that puts people at risk whatsoever, (or at least, not any more than the current restrictions do), so I don't really care.

You drove out of your zone to take your kid to a park. Knowing well that,

1. COVID can live on surfaces for days.
2. Your kid doesn’t have to go to a park, especially one outside your 5km radius

Face it. You did it because you wanted to ignore the rules, not for any other reason.

I bet you’re one of the idiots that blame Dan Andrews and not the security guards. Because they were just as much of a fuckwit as you are, you’re suffering more lockdowns. Had they done their part, you’d be better off. But I bet you can’t see that, much like you cannot understand why you shouldn’t do anything you’re saying you’re doing.

I’d tell you to grow the gently caress up. But you’re obviously incapable of any kind of growth.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

hambeet posted:

Anyway, on that survey most people want immediate family lifted so they can dump their kids off at nan’s for free childcare.

Im fairly sure there are already provisions for this?

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

hambeet posted:

Kids are little disease vectors, but hey go drop them off at the at risk group.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Like who wants to see their parents?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

You’re a provision

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

I also want to point out that back in May/June, people in this thread actively supported the BLM protests in the city. What I'm doing is no riskier than that.

I'm not going to speak to other people but:

At the time i definitely felt that it was important to take stand on issues while there was momentum and that those kind of issues couldn't wait for the pandemic to be over. I'd argue that alot of the issues brought to the fore HAVE been ignored and forgotten with the pandemic.

Obviously in hindsight this was a risky thing to do and given what I know now I'd have had a more measured take .

I think part of being a human is not doubling down on this kind of thing and instead admitting that you may have been wrong!

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Tommunist posted:

There are. It falls under essential care and has been pretty much the only way my wife and I have managed home schooling and shift work.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

hambeet posted:

You’re a provision

Nice attempt at a joke as a man who owns a hosed up horse

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Edit: double posted for some reason.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

KTS posted:

You have no self awareness about this. You put on a big song and dance about how hosed everything is, spouting sovereign citizen level bullshit about the government and you wont follow their drat rules and when pressed about what you'd want changed, offer up the some pretty mild suggestions that in no way match your rants.
People aren't angry at you just because you proudly state that you're breaking the rules, it's your bullshit attitude and overwrought whining about the situation combined with your selfish stupidity that pisses everyone off

Okay.

Tommunist posted:

Very, very restricted provisions. Working from home isn't a good enough reason to hand your kids over to grandparents or have them come over and watch them. This is based on advice given to me by the Coronavirus hotline.

Tommunist posted:

I'm not going to speak to other people but:

At the time i definitely felt that it was important to take stand on issues while there was momentum and that those kind of issues couldn't wait for the pandemic to be over. I'd argue that alot of the issues brought to the fore HAVE been ignored and forgotten with the pandemic.

Obviously in hindsight this was a risky thing to do and given what I know now I'd have had a more measured take .

I think part of being a human is not doubling down on this kind of thing and instead admitting that you may have been wrong!

I think this is pretty dodgy. Everyone knew at the time it was a risky thing to do. Are you saying it was wrong to protest?

Into The Mild posted:

You drove out of your zone to take your kid to a park. Knowing well that,

1. COVID can live on surfaces for days.
2. Your kid doesn’t have to go to a park, especially one outside your 5km radius

Face it. You did it because you wanted to ignore the rules, not for any other reason.

I bet you’re one of the idiots that blame Dan Andrews and not the security guards. Because they were just as much of a fuckwit as you are, you’re suffering more lockdowns. Had they done their part, you’d be better off. But I bet you can’t see that, much like you cannot understand why you shouldn’t do anything you’re saying you’re doing.

I’d tell you to grow the gently caress up. But you’re obviously incapable of any kind of growth.

#1. My kid wasn't touching surfaces. He wasn't on a playground.
#2. Outdoor activity is important for children.
#3. I can blame Dan Andrews and the security guards. The security guards are personally responsible, and Dan Andrews is responsible for overseeing a system that didn't prevent those mistakes from growing.
#4. If you want to take issue with me breaking restrictions, sure. But don't paint this as somehow me "spreading the virus". It just isn't true.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you saying it was wrong to protest?

I PERSONALLY would not have gone to the protest.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

CelestialScribe posted:

#4. If you want to take issue with me breaking restrictions, sure. But don't paint this as somehow me "spreading the virus". It just isn't true.

You wouldn't know it even if you were, my friend. Amazingly this exceptionalist mindset is exactly why Vic/Melb had a huge rear end outbreak and you are contravening social expectations and norms by doing it, as well as threatening the health of everyone for your own selfish reasons. It's normal to feel poo poo about it but your actions have consequences.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Tommunist posted:

I PERSONALLY would not have gone to the protest.

I wish everyone here were as forthright as you on this.

Recoome posted:

You wouldn't know it even if you were, my friend. Amazingly this exceptionalist mindset is exactly why Vic/Melb had a huge rear end outbreak and you are contravening social expectations and norms by doing it, as well as threatening the health of everyone for your own selfish reasons. It's normal to feel poo poo about it but your actions have consequences.

No it isn't. The reason we had an outbreak is because hotel security failed. That's it. Brett Sutton confirmed this.

Again, you're equating "breaking restrictions" with "spreading the virus", and those two aren't the same thing.

For instance, right now L-platers are not allowed to practice driving for no reason. If they were to leave home and drive for no reason, they would technically be breaking restrictions. But are they spreading the virus? Of course not.

Me, going to a park with no one around, is not spreading the virus. I don't know how to state it more clearly than that.

I mean, argue that it's selfish, argue that I'm setting a bad example, sure. But it isn't threatening anyone's health.

Edit: I think anyone here crticising me for breaking restrictions needs to state clearly if they supported / attended the BLM protests, because they were arguably more risky than what I'm doing.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Indigenous deaths in custody are the same as not being able to take my kid to the park. I am a sensible adult.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Indigenous deaths in custody are the same as not being able to take my kid to the park. I am a sensible adult.

Are you saying that it's okay to risk spreading the virus, if the cause is important enough? If so, then the argument against me should not be, "you are threatening someone's health" but "your reason is not good enough to break restrictions". Those are two very different things.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you saying that it's okay to risk spreading the virus, if the cause is important enough? If so, then the argument against me should not be, "you are threatening someone's health" but "your reason is not good enough to break restrictions". Those are two very different things.

Your reason is not good enough to break restrictions

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Breakfast Burrito posted:

Your reason is not good enough to break restrictions

Thank you for making an honest argument. I disagree.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

I mean, argue that it's selfish, argue that I'm setting a bad example, sure. But it isn't threatening anyone's health.

The point that people have made repeatedly is that if everyone did what you are doing there would be a risk to health.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

I wish everyone here were as forthright as you on this.

No it isn't. The reason we had an outbreak is because hotel security failed. That's it. Brett Sutton confirmed this.

Again, you're equating "breaking restrictions" with "spreading the virus", and those two aren't the same thing.

For instance, right now L-platers are not allowed to practice driving for no reason. If they were to leave home and drive for no reason, they would technically be breaking restrictions. But are they spreading the virus? Of course not.

Me, going to a park with no one around, is not spreading the virus. I don't know how to state it more clearly than that.

Edit: I think anyone here crticising me for breaking restrictions needs to state clearly if they supported / attended the BLM protests, because they were arguably more risky than what I'm doing.

No, I'm criticising you because due to the nature of COVID-19, you won't actually know whether you are spreading the virus until you develop symptoms. This is why the virus has been so drat insidious, people don't know when they are infectious so the best way to limit this is social distancing/lockdowns. You are rationalising it to yourself why you aren't doing the bad thing, but when a lot of people think exactly the same thing, it falls on it's rear end.

Also hasn't there been no evidence to suggest any of the BLM protests were the source of virus transmission? Come on that was like pre the current Vic outbreak

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

The point that people have made repeatedly is that if everyone did what you are doing there would be a risk to health.

That is a very different argument than, "you are putting someone's health at risk". I'm not. What I am doing is potentially setting a bad example.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tommunist posted:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Recoome posted:

No, I'm criticising you because due to the nature of COVID-19, you won't actually know whether you are spreading the virus until you develop symptoms. This is why the virus has been so drat insidious, people don't know when they are infectious so the best way to limit this is social distancing/lockdowns. You are rationalising it to yourself why you aren't doing the bad thing, but when a lot of people think exactly the same thing, it falls on it's rear end.

I was near no one this morning and put no one at risk.

quote:

Also hasn't there been no evidence to suggest any of the BLM protests were the source of virus transmission? Come on that was like pre the current Vic outbreak

Hang on, are you making the argument there that because no one was sick, therefore, breaking restrictions was okay? How is that any different than the argument I'm making now? You can't change your goalposts.

Everyone knew during the BLM protests that they were breaking restrictions. The premier told people not to protest, and the gathering was outlawed under the restrictions at the time. Yet they went ahead. So...your argument is really, "that was a serious enough reason to break restrictions and risk spreading the virus", and not "they weren't putting anyone at risk".

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The spread of cases wasn't even close to the current wave at the time of those BLM protests either. The 5g corona conspiracists were allowed to do the same mere weeks before that as well.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

That is a very different argument than, "you are putting someone's health at risk". I'm not. What I am doing is potentially setting a bad example.

You're putting yourself outside of the of rules that everyone else has agreed to follow. Whether the rules are correct or not, it seems like exceptionalism on your part.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

I was near no one this morning and put no one at risk.

Hang on, are you making the argument there that because no one was sick, therefore, breaking restrictions was okay? How is that any different than the argument I'm making now? You can't change your goalposts.

The goalposts aren't moving my man, you just aren't getting it.

Tommunist posted:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Vic parliament voted 44 to 23 in the no confidence motion O'who? levelled at Andrews. The motion was defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

screaden posted:

The spread of cases wasn't even close to the current wave at the time of those BLM protests either. The 5g corona conspiracists were allowed to do the same mere weeks before that as well.

So what you're saying is, breaking restrictions is okay, if the risk is low enough?

EoinCannon posted:

You're putting yourself outside of the of rules that everyone else has agreed to follow. Whether the rules are correct or not, it seems like exceptionalism on your part.

Oh, I absolutely agree I'm putting myself outside of the rules. What I disagree with is people saying that I'm putting others at risk, which I'm not. If you're going to make that argument, you also should criticise the BLM protests for the same thing. Just be consistent.