Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

The only product in my house that supports USB-C is somehow a Nintendo product :wtc:

The Perfect Console is just that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Or if you have Macbooks in the house and needed extra chargers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Dave posted:

Or if you have Macbooks in the house and needed extra chargers.

The switch has been out for years. Laptops largely transitioned already. The Android market has been on it for awhile and even mid tier stuff switched. Hell even garbage fire tablets have switched. I know C is no where near as ubiquitous as A but C isn't uncommon anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nuts and Gum posted:

The only product in my house that supports USB-C is somehow a Nintendo product :wtc:

Same.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This is definitely not a large patch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I only got an Anker PowerPort Atom with USB-C the other day for charging my iPad Pro (OG) at my desk, and because my iPad's lightning cable wore itself out. The MagSafe charger, which would be great to go bedside, is USB-C rather than USB-A, and I have no USB-C powerbricks at all.

This move is so counter-intuitive and it should have been an opt-out thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Man what color pro to get?! They're all looking so good.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ijyt posted:

I only got an Anker PowerPort Atom with USB-C the other day for charging my iPad Pro (OG) at my desk, and because my iPad's lightning cable wore itself out. The MagSafe charger, which would be great to go bedside, is USB-C rather than USB-A, and I have no USB-C powerbricks at all.

This move is so counter-intuitive and it should have been an opt-out thing.

Airpod pros come with lightning to usb c cable and iPad pros have a usb c connection themselves as do Macbooks. Y’all are being super weird about this

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Airpod pros come with lightning to usb c cable and iPad pros have a usb c connection themselves as do Macbooks. Y’all are being super weird about this

They are selling the MagSafe charger with no powerbrick, but go off.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Going for the blue 12 w/ color selection and model confirmed and ready for preorder. The blue just looks like a really nice color.

Little worried that the Apple Store couldn’t look up the IUP loan by my social for my wife’s iPhone. It came up on my app as an iPhone Upgrade Program capable phone, and I signed up for both loans in my name and I have both of them in my Citizens One account.

Just signed up for a new loan instead, hope I didn’t mess anything up. Guessing it’s fine since each IUP is a new loan anyway. They both show up as “upgrading from” the correct old phone in the app. :shrug:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Nah it’s super annoying not to include a brick. Not the end of the world since old cables will still work but I have dozens of powered usb a inputs around the house and 0 usb c. The transition makes sense but no brick is an obnoxious way to go about it IMO.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
sorry just want to confirm, the block that plugs into my wall for for my USB-C Macbook Pro can be substituted with the one that connects to the new USB-C to lightning cable for iPhone 12 and vice versa? Both blocks can power either device?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the brick is like the most imporant part because you can end up with the lovely 3.5-5W brick or get a proper fast charge 15+W brick. Them skipping on it is straight up bullshit.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Nah it’s super annoying not to include a brick. Not the end of the world since old cables will still work but I have dozens of powered usb a inputs around the house and 0 usb c. The transition makes sense but no brick is an obnoxious way to go about it IMO.

gotta say the choice to simply not make 200 million new bricks a year, the vast, vast majority of which aren't at all needed, is a good move on apple's part and the kind of change we should be demanding of all companies at a minimum

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Spime Wrangler posted:

gotta say the choice to simply not make 200 million new bricks a year, the vast, vast majority of which aren't at all needed, is a good move on apple's part and the kind of change we should be demanding of all companies at a minimum

It’s a good move but they still swapped to USB-C cable when most people probably have USB-A chargers if anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WE'RE DRAGGING YOU ALL INTO THE USB-C FUTURE KICKING AND SCREAMING

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You, an idiot: usb-C is good get used to it
Me, an intellectual: iPad Pro wireless charging when??

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

I’m not gonna demand that companies make me buy extra stuff to charge my phone

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If Apple didn’t do the change this year then next year we’d have the exact same conversation. I’m glad they did it this year just to get it out of the way. IMO they should cave to pressure and give everyone who buys a 12 a voucher for a USB-C charging brick this year and who knows, maybe they will if enough people complain loudly enough.

You guys are complaining about not having USB-C devices because there aren’t any if you don’t buy new laptops or have been using iPhones. That’s never going to change unless someone as big as Apple forces the issue and now that they’ve done it I bet USB-C is going to be ubiquitous real quick.

Protocol7 posted:

It’s a good move but they still swapped to USB-C cable when most people probably have USB-A chargers if anything.

Then they can keep using those USB-A chargers with their drawer full of USB-A lightning cables. If they ever want to get on with the future they can buy a (multi port) USB-C brick and have the cable ready to use.

Jay-V posted:

sorry just want to confirm, the block that plugs into my wall for for my USB-C Macbook Pro can be substituted with the one that connects to the new USB-C to lightning cable for iPhone 12 and vice versa? Both blocks can power either device?

Yes. The devices will communicate with the brick to tell it how much juice to give.

Protocol7 posted:

I personally don’t give a poo poo cause I’m on the wireless charging train and I’m totally buying the MagSafe charger, but it’s still fun to point out how silly it is to give people only a USB-C cable without USB-C wall adapters being very widespread.

Those MagSafe chargers are going to be powered via USB-C so you should care.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 14, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I personally don’t give a poo poo cause I’m on the wireless charging train and I’m totally buying the MagSafe charger, but it’s still fun to point out how silly it is to give people only a USB-C cable without USB-C wall adapters being very widespread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just use your old cables jesus christ. but they should give you $20 for an anker charger if you ask haha.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The basic problem with USB-C that still hasn't been fixed is the complete lack of USB-C hubs that just provide multiple USB-C ports.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I’m not gonna demand that companies make me buy extra stuff to charge my phone

of course not, which is why it's good that they're forcing you to do it

having a brand new high-wattage USB-C power brick to use instead of the dozen USB-A/lightning bricks you already own is unnecessary for your device to function and is a luxury people should have to pay for

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

Man what color pro to get?! They're all looking so good.

If I was getting a pro, I’d go gold. It looks so nice in that gold.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
For folks on the iPhone Upgrade Program, do you get an account at citizens bank so you can pay the entire thing off early (outside of upgrades) to own the phone free and clear? Or is that not an option?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Roadie posted:

The basic problem with USB-C that still hasn't been fixed is the complete lack of USB-C hubs that just provide multiple USB-C ports.

The basic problem with USB C charging is that they still refuse to make multiport chargers with more than 2 USB c ports

You used to have a problem with out of spec poo poo but that was OnePlus' fault and I think those days are long gone

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 14, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

FaceID is great and it’s no worse privacy wise than turning over your fingerprints.

Facial recognition is significantly worse from a privacy perspective. :confused:

Question Mark Mound posted:

I missed the presentation but as an XS owner the only real difference I see, even with the Pros, seems to be camera stuff?

This is the difference as far as I can tell.

I might get a mini. I just broke the screen on my 7 Plus for the fifth time. The mini seems like the same size as the non plus 6/7/8, which may have been the best size, with almost the same screen size as the plus.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CoasterMaster posted:

For folks on the iPhone Upgrade Program, do you get an account at citizens bank so you can pay the entire thing off early (outside of upgrades) to own the phone free and clear? Or is that not an option?

Yes you get an account and can pay it off whenever

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yes you get an account and can pay it off whenever

I went into my account today seeing if I could make my 12th payment (looks like that's just handled when you upgrade) and there was only options to change my recurring payment method, nothing that I could find to make a one time payment of any sort.

Maybe you have to call?

The nice thing about AUP is that you don't lose anything if you don't upgrade. It's a 0% interest 24 month loan. As long as you're willing to have AppleCare, it's net zero cost with options.

You do lose the ability to sell the phone yourself and pay less than you otherwise would, but damned I'm too old for that game now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

xzzy posted:

Do you get paid based on how many times you use the phrase "power adapter"? :v:

Almost no one has a usb-c anything right now. It's starting to shift but still leaning in the power user or nerd category. I think it's good Apple is pushing in that direction because when Apple does something. everyone else follows. They probably should have put a wall wart in the box for this year though.. as you said, lots of people are gonna get real mad over the next month or so.

Tech reviewers and stuff always are so upset about how everything isn’t usb-c, but I feel like only a small sub-set of people are all-in on usb-c at this point. Am I wrong? It feels way too early too me. Which does make it pretty weird that apple is including the cable but no wall adapter. It feels like they skipped a step.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm upgrading from an iPhone 8... mini or pro? I'd really like the fancy cameras and probably bigger battery and screen, but I also tried switching to an 8 plus last time around and had to return it because it was too unwieldy.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

TraderStav posted:

Maybe you have to call?

The nice thing about AUP is that you don't lose anything if you don't upgrade. It's a 0% interest 24 month loan. As long as you're willing to have AppleCare, it's net zero cost with options.

I know it's generally a good deal, but I'm just really debt adverse....so I'm thinking if the debt is too much anxiety for me, I can just pay to get rid of it. Just my weird brain.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CoasterMaster posted:

I know it's generally a good deal, but I'm just really debt adverse....so I'm thinking if the debt is too much anxiety for me, I can just pay to get rid of it. Just my weird brain.

I am the same way. This and my mortgage are my only debt. For this, I take the amount of the loan and put it in a YNAB category and it draws down each month. So it's basically a payment facilitation for me, I have the cash at any moment to pay off.

This is after buying phones outright forever and doing the swappa game afterwards. I probably didn't save that much in the end. Also now I care much less about keeping a perfect phone since Apple will accept it with scuffs and scratches that would normally reduce value by hundreds so I don't have that feeling of restriction with my phone anymore.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

CoasterMaster posted:

You can make an account online to view your balance, but the functionality is super limited. Every year I sell my old model instead of shipping it back to Apple. I’ve tried calling in to pay off after I sell, but the agent told me Apple locked the account for changes and to try again in a month. I think when you upgrade they freeze your account to give you time to ship it back.

Has anyone been able to get preapproved for a 12 max? The MacRumors thread shows people that have tried just get to a “remind me” button. People are assuming preapprovals will open the week of 11/6, but I don’t think there’s any official word.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better or madder, but Apple lowered the price of the accessories they're no longer including with iPhones. https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/13/apple-lowers-earpods-price/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I went into my account today seeing if I could make my 12th payment (looks like that's just handled when you upgrade) and there was only options to change my recurring payment method, nothing that I could find to make a one time payment of any sort.

Maybe you have to call?

You do lose the ability to sell the phone yourself and pay less than you otherwise would, but damned I'm too old for that game now.

Yes call Citizens directly

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

frogbs posted:

Tech reviewers and stuff always are so upset about how everything isn’t usb-c, but I feel like only a small sub-set of people are all-in on usb-c at this point. Am I wrong? It feels way too early too me. Which does make it pretty weird that apple is including the cable but no wall adapter. It feels like they skipped a step.

Why do you have to be all in on usb-c? Your old stuff still works so just keep using that and try not to worry about that cable that comes with the phone which you won't be using

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

If Apple didn’t do the change this year then next year we’d have the exact same conversation. I’m glad they did it this year just to get it out of the way. IMO they should cave to pressure and give everyone who buys a 12 a voucher for a USB-C charging brick this year and who knows, maybe they will if enough people complain loudly enough.

Would be nice if they let you bring in a crummy old 5W USB-A iPod charger and swap it for a nice 18W USB-C charger with the purchase of the new phone.
They could even "responsibly recycle" the old chargers and claim more credits!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Real post: has anyone seen a short USB-C to lightning cable? 1-2' would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TraderStav posted:

Maybe you have to call?

I get the same result when I sign in to mine. I keep meaning to call, but I still haven't decided if I'm even going to upgrade this year.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 14, 2020