Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

We even get Kira's upsell, not just as the most capable pilot available, but as the most capable pilot period, after just a couple of fights.

You're contrasting that with Amuro, but at the same time, Amuro is making suggestions the only trained pilot on the White Base, Ryu, wasn't thinking of by the third episode (i.e. let's attack with the Sun at our back so that we have the element of surprise) and taking out mooks almost effortlessly during the same battle and it's really only Char that he's having problems with by then. Someone established from his introduction as an infamous ace. During the slap scene Bright inadvertently motivates Amuro by saying that he thought Amuro was someone capable of defeating Char. By the time the White Base gets to Earth Amuro is good enough that Matilda is shocked at his skill, and thinks he must be an esper because he's so good. Which is only 8 or 9 episodes in. It's pretty clear within the first couple of episodes that Amuro isn't just a good pilot, but that he's something special and while the narrative never says "You're the best Amuro", it certainly dances around it.

ImpAtom posted:

Kira is absolutely whiny but a significant part of that is that his situation isn't a direct 1-for-1 with Amuro. He is being asked not just to pilot a mobile suit, but to pilot it against his best friend and on behalf of the people who are run by someone who would gladly genocide him and everyone like him. He's basically conscripted into an army of people who hate him under the threat of his friends all being killed.

I don't recall the Alliance wanting to genocide the Coordinators being an element of the show until Blue Cosmos is introduced in to the story half way through. There's definitely some racial tension before that point, and Flay is the most explicit focal point of that with her prejudice against Coordinators, though there are scenes of Sigh and the others wondering what Kira could be capable of and dabbling in racial stereotyping once they find out he's a Coordinator if I recall. I don't recall any threat that all his friends would be killed either, though I also wouldn't put it past Natarle to have implied it at some point. Still, Murrue, Mwu and to some degree his friends and the other minor cast members (like that one older mechanic that's on the ship) seem to be trying to soften the blow of necessity for Kira during the early show, even if they do feel like they have to rely on him. Which isn't all that dissimilar to Amuro.

Tae posted:

Kira immediately being able to solo 3 gundams kinda ruins the threat of the coordinators

I don't think he takes on the other Gundams solo more than twice or three times in the entire show (or the half that that's relevant), and there are large sections where Athrun isn't even around for a start so that's one of the 4 stolen Gundams completely removed from the equation for those episodes. When the Gundams do sortie it usually breaks down to be the Buster hanging back and firing at the Archangel, while the Blitz tries to run up close to hit it with Mwu tackling one as the Archangel defends itself and Kira just takes on Yzak in the Duel or Athrun in the Aegis if he's around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

overlordbunny posted:

IIRC it comes up again before that, I'm pretty sure he modifies the OS to account for sand when they are in the desert.

He does, when the other Gundams are deployed on Earth for the first time in that arc, they fall over and can barely even walk under gravity

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

Specifically he was a programmer working on what looks like some kind of mobile suit adjacent project, and I always read it as he and his friends were actually helping with the development of the mobile suits (I refuse to call them G Weapons) albeit unknowingly. It's less important, but he's also consulted by Morganrote to develop the M1 Astray's OS during their first trip to ORB. By then his qualifications have already been proven, of course, but it demonstrates this isn't a one-off thing and he's capable of doing professional level work for a major military contractor, as opposed to just sorta bootstrapping the system because he's the designated protagonist.

The show does actually infers real hard in a few brief flashbacks without stating outright that their college project/intern assignment was working on the G.U.N.D.A.M OS without actually knowing about the G-Weapon project.

overlordbunny posted:

IIRC it comes up again before that, I'm pretty sure he modifies the OS to account for sand when they are in the desert.

I'm fuzzier on this point, but I believe he's also the reason why by the time they get to Orb they have an OS version that'll let Normals pilot the M1's and Strike Gundam?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 13, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't recall the Alliance wanting to genocide the Coordinators being an element of the show until Blue Cosmos is introduced in to the story half way through. There's definitely some racial tension before that point, and Flay is the most explicit focal point of that with her prejudice against Coordinators, though there are scenes of Sigh and the others wondering what Kira could be capable of and dabbling in racial stereotyping once they find out he's a Coordinator if I recall. I don't recall any threat that all his friends would be killed either, though I also wouldn't put it past Natarle to have implied it at some point. Still, Murrue, Mwu and to some degree his friends and the other minor cast members (like that one older mechanic that's on the ship) seem to be trying to soften the blow of necessity for Kira during the early show, even if they do feel like they have to rely on him. Which isn't all that dissimilar to Amuro.

They are heavily signaling the genocide motivation throughout the first half, but it's not explicitly declared that the Alliance is in bed with Blue Cosmos until JOSH-A. The fact that the war started with the Alliance firing a nuclear weapon at a civilian colony, followed by the rhetoric used by the commander at Artemis, and the fact that Flay is our stand in for a "normal" person until JOSH-A is really ringing the bells loudly that the Alliance is the aggressor here, with some sort of space racism motivation behind it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The show does actually infers real hard in a few brief flashbacks without stating outright that their college project/intern assignment was working on the G.U.N.D.A.M OS without actually knowing about the G-Weapon project.

I'm fuzzier on this point, but I believe he's also the reason why by the time they get to Orb they have an OS version that'll let Normals pilot the M1's and Strike Gundam?

They don't quite. The reason they bring Kira on is that they want him to consult and assist in making it work. The Astray girls can "barely move" the M1's in a controlled trial, which is roughly where the Strike was when Murrue was piloting it if you account for the fact that the Strike took its first steps in an active battle.

As for the Alliance, I don't think it's ever outright stated where the Daggers get their OS from. tsob can probably correct me on this point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

the fact that Flay is our stand in for a "normal" person until JOSH-A

That seems like a stretch, when she has multiple scenes making her fear of Coordinators including Kira and exploitation of Kira despite that because of his skill explicit and Kira has other friends on the ship. Mirialla, Sigh, Tolle and Kuzzey might not get as much screen time but they seem more indicative of normality than Flay.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

loving amazing that the anime villains of the Atlantic Federation and Blue Cosmos are only a tad more subtle at hiding their racism than the usa.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're all in stolen prototypes, and Kira's the only one that managed to un-gently caress the janky G.U.N.D.A.M. operating system properly. If Kira wasn't there, they'd have destroyed or captured the Archangel before it even got clear of the colony.

It's kinda funny how Gundam as a term doesn't actually exist in the SEED universe outside of being the name for an OS, any suit from there that has Gundam in the name only has it for merchandising reasons, in universe it's not part of their name, so the Strike Gundam is actually only the Strike for example

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is also why there's so much confusion on if the Akatsuki is a gundam or not.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

seed sounds really bad

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stairmaster posted:

seed sounds really bad

Nah, it's fine. Ugly as sin, but fine.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Stairmaster posted:

seed sounds really bad

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

They are heavily signaling the genocide motivation throughout the first half, but it's not explicitly declared that the Alliance is in bed with Blue Cosmos until JOSH-A. The fact that the war started with the Alliance firing a nuclear weapon at a civilian colony, followed by the rhetoric used by the commander at Artemis, and the fact that Flay is our stand in for a "normal" person until JOSH-A is really ringing the bells loudly that the Alliance is the aggressor here, with some sort of space racism motivation behind it.

Yeah, Junius Seven is a massively important backstory element to SEED and is kind of a big glowing red sign that says "this war has progressed to a point of insane genocidal hatred already", even if someone (besides Fllay) doesn't turn to the camera and say "By the way, kill all coordinators" in the first few episodes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

That seems like a stretch, when she has multiple scenes making her fear of Coordinators including Kira and exploitation of Kira despite that because of his skill explicit and Kira has other friends on the ship. Mirialla, Sigh, Tolle and Kuzzey might not get as much screen time but they seem more indicative of normality than Flay.

The rest of the scooby gang are from ORB, which is an explicitly progressive country that emphasizes that naturals and coordinators have the same rights and should treat each other with dignity. Flay, on the other hand, is a daughter of an Atlantic Federation politician. I think it is important to note this, since nationality and culture play a big role in shaping someone's prejudices.

There are a couple other examples of non-racist naturals, but they all seem to represent exceptions to the rule:

1) The refugees on the Archangel are mostly ORB citizens, so their culture emphasizes inclusivity.
2) Haliburton seems pretty non-racist, though his aide seems like the same kind of snake as the Eurasian forces on Artemis. We don't really see any interactions
3) The Desert Dawn explicitly state they don't give a rats rear end if it is a ZAFT boot or an Alliance boot--a boot is a boot and gently caress 'em both.

We don't have any other PoV characters for the Alliance, and the faceless grunts are pretty much monsters. And there are more than enough montages of the racist protests against genetic modification on Earth in the George Glenn flashbacks. I agree that it is shaky because the anime doesn't really give a whole lot of screen time to anyone from the Alliance who isn't on the Archangel before Alaska.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, Junius Seven is a massively important backstory element to SEED and is kind of a big glowing red sign that says "this war has progressed to a point of insane genocidal hatred already", even if someone (besides Fllay) doesn't turn to the camera and say "By the way, kill all coordinators" in the first few episodes.

And, more importantly for inferences: you don't accidentally fire a nuke at someone you don't 100% want to reduce to fine radioactive dust. We have plenty of examples of people blundering with nukes and almost blowing up someone IRL, but to accomplish what they did there would need to be intent to target the colony. You don't just whoops a nuke into a colony at standoff range in a space battle. The probability of that is astronomically low :dadjoke:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ORBS

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There should be an au where everyone has disposable chobham armor.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Stairmaster posted:

There should be an au where everyone has disposable chobham armor.

I've been saying this for years but we really needed a show where all the designs are done by Izubuchi, Kobayashi, and Kondo, just go full Big Chungus with the designs

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I've been saying this for years but we really needed a show where all the designs are done by Izubuchi, Kobayashi, and Kondo, just go full Big Chungus with the designs

You’ll be a big fan of Hathaway’s Flash.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

You're contrasting that with Amuro, but at the same time, Amuro is making suggestions the only trained pilot on the White Base, Ryu, wasn't thinking of by the third episode (i.e. let's attack with the Sun at our back so that we have the element of surprise) and taking out mooks almost effortlessly during the same battle and it's really only Char that he's having problems with by then. Someone established from his introduction as an infamous ace. During the slap scene Bright inadvertently motivates Amuro by saying that he thought Amuro was someone capable of defeating Char. By the time the White Base gets to Earth Amuro is good enough that Matilda is shocked at his skill, and thinks he must be an esper because he's so good. Which is only 8 or 9 episodes in. It's pretty clear within the first couple of episodes that Amuro isn't just a good pilot, but that he's something special and while the narrative never says "You're the best Amuro", it certainly dances around it.

While Ryu's a trained combat pilot in The Origin, he only has simulator experience (and not that much of it, by modern standards) in the original. By the time they get to Earth, Amuro's well ahead of him in both simulator hours and actual combat experience. Amuro's definitely something special, but it's not until the Tri-stars that Amuro goes from a pretty good pilot with an amazing machine to the Amuro Ray. In the meantime, he gets enemy aces talking about how he's not so impressive, except insofar as the Gundam is invincible. Meanwhile, Kira's treated as the second coming from his first sortie. (He also has his feat with the OS upsold rather than made more reasonable in the third episode, with everyone talking about how it's code he's never seen before).

Moving onto space racism and Kira being whiny, it's definitely shown that anti-coordinator sentiment is a big thing among Alliance members, since a bunch of pointless and faceless grunts draw their rifles on him when he says he's a coordinator. The problem with that is that it's immediately followed by Murrue going "Wait, he's not one of those coordinators. This is a neutral colony, so we can be pretty sure he's not an enemy combatant, and since his parents are Naturals, he probably doesn't want to kill us all." and Mu basically goes "I could not give less of a gently caress if he's a coordinator or not."

Racism is clearly part of the setting, but this being a war of extermination isn't as well established. Kira might be flying with people who distrust him, but there's a big gap between that and people wanting him dead.

As for Kira's whininess, part of that is the voice acting, but it's also the argument. Kamille Bidan constantly showed a principled opposition to killing, and took a shockingly long time before he took first blood, despite downing multiple suits earlier. He also showed a less principled but equally constant opposition to having to follow military discipline. His reasons for conflict with the rest of the AEUG might have been frustrating at times, but they clearly weren't just adopted for his own convenience.

Meanwhile, Kira's argument that he doesn't want to be part of a war is blatantly hypocritical, considering he got in a Gundam and started killing people of his own free will, and his talk of pacifism looks pretty empty when ZAFT just declared that murdering everyone in a neutral colony was totally cool with them. While he has plenty of valid grounds for objecting (for example, Murrue doing a total 180 from "I'll shoot you for seeing the Gundam without authorization, even if you did save my life!" to "You need to pilot the Gundam. We're all friends here, right?" in about ten minutes, max), the approach he takes makes him look even less reasonable than Amuro at his sulkiest. Worse, the presentation (including Kira going out again without anyone else actually making a serious argument) suggests that, while the viewer was encouraged to be frustrated with Amuro, the viewer is meant to be on Kira's side.

In summary, SEED is bad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

While Ryu's a trained combat pilot in The Origin, he only has simulator experience (and not that much of it, by modern standards) in the original. By the time they get to Earth, Amuro's well ahead of him in both simulator hours and actual combat experience. Amuro's definitely something special, but it's not until the Tri-stars that Amuro goes from a pretty good pilot with an amazing machine to the Amuro Ray. In the meantime, he gets enemy aces talking about how he's not so impressive, except insofar as the Gundam is invincible. Meanwhile, Kira's treated as the second coming from his first sortie. (He also has his feat with the OS upsold rather than made more reasonable in the third episode, with everyone talking about how it's code he's never seen before).

I've never gotten the impression that the defeat of the Black Tri-Stars was viewed as anything particularly special in the show, especially when they don't even come off that skilled or threatening. Their main gimmick fails the first time they try it, and rather than accept that Amuro might be a good pilot they just put it down to fluke and try it again seconds later. Which results in one of them dying. If something grew him to a legend at that point I'd have thought it was just the fact he was acting in a major battle in front of a lot of people for the first time, and during that battle exposed a spy as well as blowing up a nuke that was about to kill everyone; not just the fact he beat some named enemy aces in mobile suits.

The only enemy ace I can recall disparaging Amuro as not being impressive and only being good because of the machine is Ramba Ral, and I would personally say he was full of poo poo and just saying something snippy to cover for his own failure. The Gouf performs comparably to the Gundam in combat throughout the arc, and is the first enemy unit to damage the Gundam. Plus, we see Goufs piloted by nameless mooks damage the Gundam only a few episodes later; showing that it's not just something only a skilled ace is capable of in that machine. Hell, those grunts cause Amuro more grief than some aces. Including the Tri-Stars. Amuro has to design new patterns to combat the Gouf after Ramba kicked him around in their first sortie too. Patterns that Amuro immediately realizes aren't enough, even after modelling the Gouf on a 25% increase (or something like that) over the Zaku II they captured prior to that point. During their final duel the two units cause similar damage to each other using similar weapons, and even the Gundam's advantages like the learning computer and beam rifle are either offset by things the Gouf has or basically a non-issue. When Amuro is firing the beam rifle at the Gouf, Ramba comments that it's easy for the Gouf's predictive computer to automatically evade the shots because the Gundam is so accurate and Amuro throws it away after only a few shots because the rifle is nearly empty due to prior actions and isn't hitting anyway. Ramba commenting that the Gundam is so accurate is at least partially praise of Amuro's skill even in a fight that ends with him saying that it's on the machine instead however.

The most prominent reason though is that Amuro doesn't win because the Gundam tanks damage the Gouf wouldn't be capable of taking, because it can cause damage the Gouf wasn't capable of etc; he wins because when they are dueling, Amuro ducks under a wide swing that the Gouf makes and then punishes Ramba for over-extending on a big swing by chopping the Goufs two arms off. Which is something that the Gouf could have done to the Gundam if Amuro had made the same mistake. I'd also point out that Amuro has been shown or mentioned several times prior to that, including in the same arc, to be training heavily in simulators and in the Gundam to become a better pilot, and, as above, was going out of his way to make the unit perform better in combat by studying his enemies. In no way is that being reliant on or only impressive because of the machine, regardless of whether you mean in actuality or just by Ramba's reckoning.

There are other enemies who show shock at how tough the Gundam is, or who look down on Amuro but they almost all die quite quickly specifically because they're underestimating Amuro. Including the Tri-Stars. The only Zeon ace who didn't try to ignore Amuro's skill or explain it away as just being because of the machine was Char, who comments even early in the show that the Gundam's pilot is improving rapidly. I'm pretty sure he says at least once in the first half that he needs to take the Gundam out now because it'll be a monster soon if he doesn't, or something similar too.

Just confining it to the first 4 episodes, we have Amuro going from struggling to move the Gundam and having difficulty lining up the beam rifle to destroying several nameless enemies in one fight without issue, including killing one off-handedly while in combat with Char and Ryu telling Amuro not to be so modest when Amuro tries to explain away his success as being because of the Gundam's learning computer. All of which is going to be within a few days, and maybe 3 actual sorties. If you extend it to the 5th episode, you get Char showing frustration at how rapidly the Gundam's pilot is improving. That's more than just "he's a good pilot". At no point is anyone saying that Amuro is the best pilot ever, but they're certainly suggestion he'll be a great pilot even in the early episodes and Matilda is definitely approaching similar territory when she comments that Amuro is so good he might be an esper just to explain his skill.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 14, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Okay but on the other hand he did have the manual with him presumably for all of first gundam

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently watching the 0079 movies, since I've never actually seen 0079. Out of curiosity, is there anything important you lose from watching those instead of the show? Aside from what I assume character development for characters not named Amuro.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azran posted:

Currently watching the 0079 movies, since I've never actually seen 0079. Out of curiosity, is there anything important you lose from watching those instead of the show? Aside from what I assume character development for characters not named Amuro.

You miss out on several episodic moments that give glimpses of the greater picture of the war and its impact on everyone from soldiers, leaders and noncombatants. Notably a lot of the early conflicts that occur before the White Base sets off across the Pacific are trimmed down or cut entirely from the films. Poor ship's cook: couldn't get his salt resupply and got replaced with a hamburger machine offscreen.

You also miss out on a moment that is supposed to be tragic but the show goes so over the top with the weeping that it comes back around to being hilarious. If it's of interest, the show has a pretty decent dub, since the Ocean Group did the TV dub while the movie dubs were done by a bunch of randos and early Steve Blum. And the TV show music is fantastic and funky.

I'm a big proponent of watching the show because I find the movies move way too quickly and end up rushing several plot points since they're really just summaries of episodes. Amuro's journey from novice to unstoppable ace pilot feels much more satisfying over 43 episodes instead of 7 hours of film.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 14, 2020

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Endorph posted:

This is also why there's so much confusion on if the Akatsuki is a gundam or not.

Uhm excuse me but it runs the General Unilateral Neuro-link Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver Operating System making it a gundam.

Seed is an ugly but okay show, with a hilariously dark setting when you take time to take it all in. Also Destiny makes the original look like art.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Azran posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting with the movies. If you enjoy the movies, continue with zeta double zeta and F91. If you are still into it watching the series is great. It's a much more complete experience.

Edit: also watch victory. Some people here will tell you to skip it, don't listen to them they're trying to deceive you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

Uhm excuse me but it runs the General Unilateral Neuro-link Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver Operating System making it a gundam.

Seed is an ugly but okay show, with a hilariously dark setting when you take time to take it all in. Also Destiny makes the original look like art.

I mean, yeah, there's worse than SEED, but I'd say it's pretty bad from the three episodes I've watched. The pacing is terrible, the fight scenes are dull, and the character moments are weak. It also repeats a lot of plot beats from the original Gundam, but worse pretty much every time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

I thought the gold colored mobile suit that had issues with being considered a gundam or not was the Hyaku Shiki? :haw:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

❌ NOT A GUNDAM ❌

✅ IT'S A GUNDAM ✅

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

❌ NOT A GUNDAM ❌

Is this real? It feels too gaudy to be real but I’d love to be proven wrong. Does it fight with a solid gold sword too or is it made of diamonds?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Last Celebration posted:

Is this real? It feels too gaudy to be real but I’d love to be proven wrong. Does it fight with a solid gold sword too or is it made of diamonds?

It's the Akatsuki, the treasure of the Atha family, locked away and left behind by Cagalli's father so she can defend her country in the hour of their greatest need. Two episodes later she gives it to a war crime guy who still had half his mind missing, and then spends the rest of the series almost entirely off-camera because MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It is just the SEED Hyaki Shiki.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Could we get a ratio of the destruction of the US Skylab July 1979 : Zeon Colony Drop
both did damage to Australia and the Earth at large presumably.
whats the scale? 1: 100? 1: 144?
HG 1/1 Dynames Gundam to just shoot debris out of orbit before it lands on poo poo?

e watching the ISS lazily circle the earth at 20000 mph is fun especially as it goes either my head or Australia's lol

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 14, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

It's the Akatsuki, the treasure of the Atha family, locked away and left behind by Cagalli's father so she can defend her country in the hour of their greatest need. Two episodes later she gives it to a war crime guy who still had half his mind missing, and then spends the rest of the series almost entirely off-camera because MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY

Part of me wants to ask if SEED Destiny is worth watching as a train wreck but I just know in my heart that it’s probably just the boring kind of real bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Last Celebration posted:

Part of me wants to ask if SEED Destiny is worth watching as a train wreck but I just know in my heart that it’s probably just the boring kind of real bad.

It's more enjoyable (in a bad way) than AGE at least. And the first few episodes are actually good too, before it becomes The Kira Show Featuring Kira from the Gundam SEED Series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jackhunter64 posted:

You forgot to mention the time when it is used to completely suck all the wind out of one of the most memorable moments from Gundam SEED! :buddy:

Last Celebration posted:

SEED Destiny is really bad as a whole, but the first few episodes are quite good and the series takes some time to really go off the rails. Even at its worst, it's a lot more interesting than AGE.

I'm absolutely not going to recommend somebody watch a bad 50 episode anime unless they're really bored, but if you're committed to the idea there are way more boring shows you can waste the time on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The compilation movies will give you the general gist while wasting less of your time. Also, watch in English, because Yuna in English is genuinely funny.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sjs00 posted:

Could we get a ratio of the destruction of the US Skylab July 1979 : Zeon Colony Drop
both did damage to Australia and the Earth at large presumably.
whats the scale? 1: 100? 1: 144?
HG 1/1 Dynames Gundam to just shoot debris out of orbit before it lands on poo poo?

e watching the ISS lazily circle the earth at 20000 mph is fun especially as it goes either my head or Australia's lol

I'd never even read about Skylab's de-orbit before, but looking it up, the majority of it burned up on re-entry or crashed in to the Indian Ocean. Some debris did land in Australia, but no-one was killed. One story I found was that some debris hit a guy's house in the outback of Australia and mustn't have even caused any notable damage to say I don't see reports of it in the story, which was more concerned with the fact he'd heard about a newspaper in San Francisco offering $10k for any debris that was delivered within 3 days of the crash, so when some of it hit his house, he grabbed a few bits, hopped a plane with no luggage or even a passport and flew to America to get the prize. Which he got. As such, the scale is probably closer to 1:1000000 than 1:100.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Destiny is fine up until the original cast of Seed take over all the run time. In fact, you can roughly judge the quality of the episodes based on how much Kira and Lacus is in them, up to the point where Athrun defects at which point the meter maxes out at "irredeemable garbage." Oh and the fact that the Savior is my favorite design after the Delta Plus totally isn't coloring my opinion here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really like shinn, luna, and most of the other destiny characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

i really like shinn, luna, and most of the other destiny characters

The Shinn-Athrun-Rey dynamic is really good and is basically the wasted potential of Destiny summarized.