Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

It’s a good move but they still swapped to USB-C cable when most people probably have USB-A chargers if anything.

This is correct

And this is correct on what Apple is doing

FCKGW posted:

WE'RE DRAGGING YOU ALL INTO THE USB-C FUTURE KICKING AND SCREAMING

Protocol7 posted:

I personally don’t give a poo poo cause I’m on the wireless charging train and I’m totally buying the MagSafe charger, but it’s still fun to point out how silly it is to give people only a USB-C cable without USB-C wall adapters being very widespread.

Exactly right here. I would be fine with Apple just including an A to C charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So is this 5G chip gonna be a massive battery drain then next year they come out with a better one that supports 20 more bands and way lower power? Assuming my block in the suburbs gets 5G, of course.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So is this 5G chip gonna be a massive battery drain then next year they come out with a better one that supports 20 more bands and way lower power? Assuming my block in the suburbs gets 5G, of course.

Yes. It’s not even known if the 5G modem is built in or separate from the SOC. If it’s separate you may as well turn 5G off if you want any semblance of good battery life lol.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Yes. It’s not even known if the 5G modem is built in or separate from the SOC. If it’s separate you may as well turn 5G off if you want any semblance of good battery life lol.

As always with Apple, if they didn’t mention it, assume the worst.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So psyched about the Mini but am concerned that the Pro's Night Mode Portrait is gonna be another gamechanger like Night Mode itself and it'll again feel really sucky to miss out on it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Real post: has anyone seen a short USB-C to lightning cable? 1-2' would be good.

There aren't many short ones. I use this one at my charging station on my shelf. Works ok.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVXGFCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e3NHFb72TJBJX

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

The 5G modem is almost certainly a thin Qualcomm modem/baseband processor that Apple is buying from Qualcomm. That component has always been separate from the Apple SoC app processor, from 3G through LTE phones. (Apple hasn’t used an integrated modem/app processor system since their first internally designed processor.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WhyteRyce posted:

There aren't many short ones. I use this one at my charging station on my shelf. Works ok.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVXGFCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e3NHFb72TJBJX

Thanks for that recommendation, it looks perfect.
Unfortunately it is somehow $30 in my country.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

I'm upgrading from an iPhone 8... mini or pro? I'd really like the fancy cameras and probably bigger battery and screen, but I also tried switching to an 8 plus last time around and had to return it because it was too unwieldy.
Depends how much bigger you can go. You can kinda get a sense between the different devices from the compare page. The smaller Pro is a chunk smaller than the 8 Plus, closer to the regular 8 but still noticeably bigger. Might be like going from the iPhone 5 to 6, where it noticeably bigger, but not too bad.

(ignore that I got the SE after the 6 and have been waiting for something like the 12 mini ever since :colbert:)

Vegetable posted:

So psyched about the Mini but am concerned that the Pro's Night Mode Portrait is gonna be another gamechanger like Night Mode itself and it'll again feel really sucky to miss out on it.
Huh didn't catch that. Maybe Halide can partially fill in the gap, if there's enough light to get decent focus and make depth map out of whatever scene with the normal cameras. I'm just happy they added night mode to the ultra wide, and just noticed the regular lens has optical image stabilization. And everything has night mode timelapse so yay. Just need to...go back outside into nature to take some photos one day. Gotta wait till November though :negative:

I'm wondering how long until someone makes a MagSafe battery case with USB-C.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They took time in the presentation to highlight how smart the phone was at turning off 5G automatically when you don’t need it. So yeah, it’s gonna be a drain.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Every iPhone I’ve owned has been charged through a 30 pin to lightning adapter hooked up to an ancient JBL speaker dock.

Although I’ve used the fancy usb-c power brick from my 11 pro to charge my Switch and iPad a bunch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guys I understand cost saving (for planet, producer, and consumer) in budget phones, where you can bank on people having some sort of charger.

When you’re doing it with a £999 (jfc lol) phone it just looks like a trillion dollar company trying to nickel and dime you.

When it does it with a £40 charger it heavily featured and touted, and it doesn’t come with a power brick, thats just dumb.

Unless you’re some weird fanboy or buying a phone every year instead of the 3-5 years most normal people follow, its just a way to increase margins with the cover of being green.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Do you get paid based on how many times you use the phrase "power adapter"? :v:

Almost no one has a usb-c anything right now. It's starting to shift but still leaning in the power user or nerd category. I think it's good Apple is pushing in that direction because when Apple does something. everyone else follows. They probably should have put a wall wart in the box for this year though.. as you said, lots of people are gonna get real mad over the next month or so.
But MKBHD has been railing on Apple for not going USB-C for a couple years. Was he wrong all this time? :monocle:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 14, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think we have any recent laptops in our work fleet without at least a single usb-c for the last four years. This drought of possible usb-c ports sounds like the usual ai goon "Why do the car maker not make any new cars like i want? Cause you want to buy used in five to ten years and never buy new", which is exactly the mac scenario here as there are no usb-a only macs that are not in a vintage status. If you have your house full of usb-a ports (and somehow you have burned all your old lightning cables in a pyre) you can buy a three pack of usb-a to lighting cable from anker/aukey for a song.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The mini looks great. I’m a bit wary about battery though. I don’t play games on my XS or fast charge and I’m already down to 83% capacity and struggle to get through some days (though that doesn’t matter when working from home). Very unlikely I upgrade but I hope the mini pro is a thing next year.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've had a usbc to lightning cable in my desk for 2 years now and it's been there for 2 years precisely because no one else has usbc on their workstation so they can't steal it.

Now my whole system is hosed THANKS APPLE FOR OFFENDING ME.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Does the cable come with a c to a adapter ? The rumors said it would have an adapter , but I haven’t seen anything on it (if no adapter then that’s a bummer).

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Does the cable come with a c to a adapter ? The rumors said it would have an adapter , but I haven’t seen anything on it (if no adapter then that’s a bummer).

No adapter. Anker is my go-to brand for that kind of thing.

Also, the lightning cables you likely already have will still work.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I don't think we have any recent laptops in our work fleet without at least a single usb-c for the last four years. This drought of possible usb-c ports sounds like the usual ai goon "Why do the car maker not make any new cars like i want? Cause you want to buy used in five to ten years and never buy new", which is exactly the mac scenario here as there are no usb-a only macs that are not in a vintage status. If you have your house full of usb-a ports (and somehow you have burned all your old lightning cables in a pyre) you can buy a three pack of usb-a to lighting cable from anker/aukey for a song.

Yeah a corporate environment is totally comparable here. :rolleyes:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

enojy posted:

I get the same result when I sign in to mine. I keep meaning to call, but I still haven't decided if I'm even going to upgrade this year.

I went through the eligibility page on the store app and it said I had one payments worth to pay off and I can preorder on Friday, I think that's how it is handled.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Changing the subject to Siri and how much she still sucks. All I wanted to know was what time it was in PST.

“What time is it in PST?” Here’s the time in your time zone.

“What time is it in PT?” Here’s the time for Portugal.

“What time is it in pacific time?” Here’s the time in Pacific, Missouri.

“What time is it in pacific standard time?” Here’s the time in Pacific, Missouri.

🤦‍♂️

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

which is exactly the mac scenario here as there are no usb-a only macs that are not in a vintage status.
Huh? There's lots. The first USB-C MacBook came out in 2015, and they were still selling the non-Retina MacBook Air until last year. The non-USB-C 13" and 15" Pros were sold until 2017 and 2018, respectively. Hell, the non-Retina 13" Pro was sold into 2016.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

ijyt posted:

Guys I understand cost saving (for planet, producer, and consumer) in budget phones, where you can bank on people having some sort of charger.

When you’re doing it with a £999 (jfc lol) phone it just looks like a trillion dollar company trying to nickel and dime you.

When it does it with a £40 charger it heavily featured and touted, and it doesn’t come with a power brick, thats just dumb.

Unless you’re some weird fanboy or buying a phone every year instead of the 3-5 years most normal people follow, its just a way to increase margins with the cover of being green.

Rumor is a portless iPhone in the very near future, so it’s likely a step in that direction to help offset the 5g and oled screens. Nothing on Earth matters to Apple more than margins.

There were hints of an iOS version of macOS internet recovery coming to the phone to take the place restoring up updating. No clue how they’re going to handle syncing and pc data transfer, but it would be a very Apple move to give those the axe in the name of “courage” to embrace the wireless future they’re promoting.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Rumor is a portless iPhone in the very near future, so it’s likely a step in that direction to help offset the 5g and oled screens. Nothing on Earth matters to Apple more than margins.

There were hints of an iOS version of macOS internet recovery coming to the phone to take the place restoring up updating. No clue how they’re going to handle syncing and pc data transfer, but it would be a very Apple move to give those the axe in the name of “courage” to embrace the wireless future they’re promoting.

I was really hoping they'd announce that mag safe could do data transfer in addition to charging. It's the only way they could truly get rid of the port. Maybe they're working on that and that's the plan...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The portless iPhone doesn’t make sense to me because how are you going transfer data (specifically large amounts of photos and video) to your PC?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

The portless iPhone doesn’t make sense to me because how are you going transfer data (specifically large amounts of photos and video) to your PC?

Wifi 6 is stupid fast

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Through the magic of iCloud, of course. Pay up, consumer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Huh? There's lots. The first USB-C MacBook came out in 2015, and they were still selling the non-Retina MacBook Air until last year. The non-USB-C 13" and 15" Pros were sold until 2017 and 2018, respectively. Hell, the non-Retina 13" Pro was sold into 2016.

I did forget about the non-retina macbook air but the rest of that list are far from modern(i don't think i've ever seen any usb-a/non retina macbook in a apple store in 2017 let alone 2018), I don't think apple expects their customer base to hang on their laptops for more than the duration of apple care + so if we consider a three year window(if we exclude the old air that break that convention) every apple computer bought within a 3 year interval from the iphone 12 release date should have a usb-c port to charge it without any external item

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 14, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ouhei posted:

I was really hoping they'd announce that mag safe could do data transfer in addition to charging. It's the only way they could truly get rid of the port. Maybe they're working on that and that's the plan...

It'd be so awesome if I could use a MagSafe car mount that connected to my CarPlay. My car doesn't have wireless, so it needs to plug in. If we ever get to a place where I'm driving significantly again (~300 miles a month, down from 1,500) I may spring for one of those wireless adapters that are made. I'm really excited for MagSafe.

I wonder if the iPhone 12 back will work with any magnet. I have magnetic car mounts that I have to use a plate in my case for it to stick to currently, curious if it'll just grab on to that. The magnetic area may be too large for the pad though as I am nearly certain it's a ring of magnets and not a flat circle.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

this has been the "rumor" for like 3-4 years now and it doesn't seem any more likely than it did when it first came around. what do you do if your phone gets so hosed up that it gets stuck in recovery mode? throw it in the trash?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I did forget about the non-retina macbook air but the rest of that list are far from modern(i don't think i've ever seen any usb-a/non retina macbook in a apple store in 2017 let alone 2018), I don't think apple expects their customer base to hang on their laptops for more than the duration of apple care + so if we consider a three year window(if we exclude the old air that break that convention) every apple computer bought within a 3 year interval from the iphone 12 release date should have a usb-c port to charge it without any external item

"Vintage status" has a specific definition as it regards Apple products. Basically products that stopped being sold between 5-7 years ago. Older than 7 is "obsolete" and newer is just "current" or something. I think lots of people keep their computers longer than you'd expect. I held onto my 2015 MBP until earlier this year, and I probably could have kept it going for longer than that. Also given that Big Sur will officially be available for MBPs as old as 7 years, I think Apple does expect people to hold onto them, or at least to be used by secondhand owners.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wait a minute, the iPhone 12 is $829 if I get sim free vs $799 if I go with a Verizon locked phone? What the hell

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

T-Mobile Offers are up

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

30 bill credits up from 24 is really sucky. They almost had me at the extra $200 for trade-in if you've been a customer for 5+ years. $700 for trading in my Pro makes for a $300 12 Pro. Would need to pay ~$700 to payoff my AUP balance and be out Applecare, which would put me right back at $1200. It's a wash and complicated. Unless Costco does something crazy I'm doing the AUP path.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Will be interesting to compare a 12 mini to an older style home button phone in person. The screen is 0.7” bigger (mostly in height) but the phone is shorter and narrower and a half ounce lighter which is pretty sizable.

The 12 non-mini might also be worth a look for upgraders since it’s a bit bigger than the old phones but nowhere near as large as the 11 was. The 12 is over an ounce lighter than the 11, geez.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Have there been any comparisons on video file sizes with the new models? If I recall, 4K 60 FPS video was around 400-500 MB per minute on the X and 11. I assume it will be roughly the same but was curious.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Weedle posted:

this has been the "rumor" for like 3-4 years now and it doesn't seem any more likely than it did when it first came around. what do you do if your phone gets so hosed up that it gets stuck in recovery mode? throw it in the trash?

They could do an iPad Pro style smart connector for diagnostic and data transfer

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wait a minute, the iPhone 12 is $829 if I get sim free vs $799 if I go with a Verizon locked phone? What the hell

The $30 surcharge for an unlocked phone is a bold ecological initiative that seeks to reduce e-waste by making potential customers walk away in disgust

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is this only for the 12? I don’t see any mention of the 12 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I was excited about the new phone but realized my 5yr old 6s still does everything I need (txt, calls, SA) so the initial hype faded pretty quickly.

Question, is there way to refresh the phone in short of a hard factory reset. I just want to give this phone a nice wash.