Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really wish someone would make a game somehow combining the design philosophies of Mario and GTA

Would be the perfect drunken gently caress around game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'd probably.play grand theft auto teaches typing

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Baldurs Gate games can not be turned into normal D&D by clicking the "automatic pause" button. The reason that BGs system is less than ideal is because all the characters move at the same time. Yeah you can pause the action, but everyone moving at the same time make the battles a chaotic cluster gently caress. D&D is a turn based game, all of the tactically interesting stuff comes out of the turn order. When there is no turn order it really limits what you can do.

And its not like superior systems can not be done. Temple of Elemental Evil has a turn based battle system thats hugely superior to the infinity engine games:
*video snip*

It's a trade-off, I guess. The big fights and high-level poo poo from Baldur's Gate would take about three and a half weeks each if everything moved individually. All the combat actions and stuff are still processed sequentially, on a turn-by-turn basis, with high speed weapons and high dex characters going first, so I dunno how much tactical depth you're really losing.

And I personally enjoy everything being a huge chaotic mess, it's fun. I've certainly played BG/IWD/P:T a lot more than ToEE.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think that all turn based rpgs should have a button to skip enemy animations or one that fast forwards them by like 500%

I couldn't handle how slowly everyone moved in Divinity Original Sin 2 even though I was having fun with the game

I couldn't handle it in Fallout 2 when I was 12 either

I didn’t mind it as much in Fallout 2 when I first played it in 2004. When I went back a few years ago I got in a fight in the Den where there are a shitmillion junkies that have an incredibly slow shuffling move speed and you end up with a turn every five minutes. Ended up bailing there, which was dissapointing because I used to love that game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spiderweb software's games are such a better implementation of RPG combat than any RTWP games

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah but The Witcher 1 didn't popularize anything.

It was extremely popular in Europe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Witcher popularized The Witcher. Like, a lot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm Crap posted:

It's a trade-off, I guess. The big fights and high-level poo poo from Baldur's Gate would take about three and a half weeks each if everything moved individually. All the combat actions and stuff are still processed sequentially, on a turn-by-turn basis, with high speed weapons and high dex characters going first, so I dunno how much tactical depth you're really losing.

And I personally enjoy everything being a huge chaotic mess, it's fun. I've certainly played BG/IWD/P:T a lot more than ToEE.

That would have been actually good, since it would have forced the devs to cut down on boring, pointless mob encounters, and instead only focus on the interesting setpiece battles. See also: Pathfinder Kingmaker, which would be much improved if they removed about 3/4 of all combat encounters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

spiderweb software's games are such a better implementation of RPG combat than any RTWP games

I often wonder why that guy hasn’t been hired by a big studio yet but then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if some have tried and he turned them down to just keep doing his one-man studio.

Though I will say I do enjoy RTWP games quite a bit. BGII and PoE are favorites of mine.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Baldurs Gate games can not be turned into normal D&D by clicking the "automatic pause" button. The reason that BGs system is less than ideal is because all the characters move at the same time. Yeah you can pause the action, but everyone moving at the same time make the battles a chaotic cluster gently caress. D&D is a turn based game, all of the tactically interesting stuff comes out of the turn order. When there is no turn order it really limits what you can do.

And its not like superior systems can not be done. Temple of Elemental Evil has a turn based battle system thats hugely superior to the infinity engine games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8YDSvlqKA

Agree with this. I hate the RTWP games that I've played (admittedly just Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and Dragon Age: Origins) because the only way you're getting to do anything interesting tactically is by having to herd moron party members who have a cordyceps in their brain that forces them to run right into melee range at all times. And if I'm not herding cats I'm just watching lovely repetitive movements and making no decisions at all.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i refuse to believe that baldurs gate is a good game. it was made by bioware

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Attic's Das Schwarze Auge games were way better.

I died a lot of times due to getting a cold while traveling to the first dungeon, but after I managed to not get a cold and eat regularly, they where really good

e: apparently it's called Realms of Arkania outside of germany, but I'm talking about the 1990 games, no idea about the newer ones

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 14, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is actually a decent game now that there is a proper Turn-based mode instead of Rtwp bullshit

it still has glaring flaws in terms of balance and difficulty progression but hey..

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

cargohills posted:

Agree with this. I hate the RTWP games that I've played (admittedly just Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and Dragon Age: Origins) because the only way you're getting to do anything interesting tactically is by having to herd moron party members who have a cordyceps in their brain that forces them to run right into melee range at all times. And if I'm not herding cats I'm just watching lovely repetitive movements and making no decisions at all.

Dragon age:origins actually had a really capable party scripting system, possibly best ever in this kind of rpg, capable of adequately micromanaging your whole party without you having to actually pause the game to micromanage them in the middle of every fight. You had to figure it out and set it up though because the default settings would make everyone do like you said, of course. You could trigger heals and buffs with logic and make them automatically assist each other and all that.

If I remember correctly, anyway. It's been a long time.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 14, 2020

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

poverty goat posted:

Dragon age:origins actually had a really capable party scripting system, possibly best ever in this kind of rpg, capable of adequately micromanaging your whole party without you having to actually pause the game to micromanage them in the middle of every fight

Depends on the difficulty.

I found that DAO, especially on higher difficulties, was over-tuned to the point that I had to use a lot of lovely cheap "real time pause" tactics to win if I wasn't using overpowered builds or was over leveled. E.g. you could beat battles way above what you could by attack moving + scripting into the enemy by kiting enemies into single file death zones (especially indoors, where peeking out into a room could be pure death, but if you just hide behind doors and let the enemy file in one by one, you could win battles easily.) The scripting system was only good for "detect condition, execute spell" (and yeah, it was obviously pretty easy to automate healing using such conditions) but it really wasn't good at making sure your tanks were tanking the monsters - you could automate provoke, for instance, but I couldn't find good ways of specifying "hey, don't stay grouped up because this guy casts AOE spells." There were a lot of specific triggers you could use (e.g. you could macro it so if you attacked a monster, all your DPS attacked a monster) but I found especially in the beginning that it was not possible to get my party to play 100% optimally without a lot of manual intervention - and then after a certain point, the difficulty would fall off to trivial.

My idea of an ideal difficulty curve is that beginning normal encounters that are my party's level should be killable just using attack move + scripting on normal difficulty, and bosses might require manual tactics or positioning. Maybe towards the middle of the game, normal encounters may require stuff such as adjusting to enemies casting a status effect (perhaps with scripting), but I don't want to manually position or script every single encounter on normal. I think it would be OK for every encounter on hard to be a chessboard fight, and I would prefer the middle and the end of games to be more difficult than the beginning.

In my opinion Dragon's Dogma, Dark Arisen (and even FF12 to an extent) do real-time with pause a lot better than DAO did, and frankly the issues above extend to other games that do real time with pause (like Pillars of Eternity, etc) - the beginning of the game shouldn't be the most difficult part.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It was extremely popular in Europe.

Was it popular before they released the enhanced edition or whatever it was called? i liked that version but I thought the initial release was barely playable and dropped it shortly after the intro sequence.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
The most fun I ever had playing Baldur's Gate was when one of my dudes was dead and I recruited a new person and left the corpse of the old guy just lying in the middle of the road. Laughed for a good long while about that. Then I got turbomurdered by bandits and got bored and gave up

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm in the midst of steamrolling poe2 turn based with an all melee squad of paladin, paladin, monk, cypher and warrior and xoti the monk, despite her lovely stats, is overpowered as hell and mvp, always stunlocking huge groups of assholes with her foot

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

The most fun I ever had playing Baldur's Gate was when one of my dudes was dead and I recruited a new person and left the corpse of the old guy just lying in the middle of the road. Laughed for a good long while about that. Then I got turbomurdered by bandits and got bored and gave up

I got sick of Myron in Fallout 2 so I took him to Golgotha, told him we needed to separate for awhile, and as soon as he left the party I gunned him down. It was good fun, gently caress Myron.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I got sick of Myron in Fallout 2 so I took him to Golgotha, told him we needed to separate for awhile, and as soon as he left the party I gunned him down. It was good fun, gently caress Myron.

Cassidy is the combat NPC. Myrons job is to live in the cleared out Raider Camp between Vault City and Broken Hills and make stimpacks for me.

he knows his place

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My favourite part of Skyrim was shouting your companion ragdolling away.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Cheating in videogames makes them more FUN

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Sometimes.

Certainly I, a stupid computer toucher rear end in a top hat, enjoy trying to manually fiddle with memory addresses in CheatEngine to circumvent something I've decided is not fun.

But other times cheating just destroys all the fun I'll ever have with a game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

spiderweb software is avadon and avernum, right? i played those back when they were the only other game you could get for a mac that wasn't starcraft or snes9x. they were... i think calling them bad is overstating it but they were not-good-at-all. no fun to play, but not in a way that feels insulting or cruel; just crappily designed completely by accident.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

spiderweb software is avadon and avernum, right? i played those back when they were the only other game you could get for a mac that wasn't starcraft or snes9x. they were... i think calling them bad is overstating it but they were not-good-at-all. no fun to play, but not in a way that feels insulting or cruel; just crappily designed completely by accident.

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Moon Monster posted:

Was it popular before they released the enhanced edition or whatever it was called? i liked that version but I thought the initial release was barely playable and dropped it shortly after the intro sequence.

Not sure, but I think the original got glowing reviews in the magazines I used to read.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

this is an insanely hot take, perfect thread to post it in

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

My idea of an ideal difficulty curve is that beginning normal encounters that are my party's level should be killable just using attack move + scripting on normal difficulty,

This is the worst videogame opinion I've ever seen

In an RPG, If the player's party is strong enough to auto-win fights by just picking attack 20 times in a row, those fights should just be removed from the game. At the very lest add some autofight mechanic that just skips to the end.
If it's an action game then trivial fights can still be interesting just to mess around or juggle enemies with your sword or aim for headshots or whatever.
But in a turn-based/strategic game, making decisions is the gameplay, and if I don't have to make any decisions in a fight I'm just going to get mind-numbingly bored.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm playing through Baldurs Gate 2 right now but with cheats on so I can instantly heal and instantly kill enemies that I'm getting bored of swinging wildly at and its a very fun time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I liked going into the txt files of gta iii and messing around with car and weapon stats. I still remember flying over the first island and seeing shots coming at me and going "oh gently caress" because I'd made shotguns have amazing range and shot speed, blowing up my dodo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dunno you pro-avadon players are gonna have to explain some things to me because while the last time i played them was over fifteen years ago, they stood out to me as being weirdly bad games. not because they were trying to be bad, just bad by accident, like crappy controls, counterintuitive UI, very strict and opaque rules about what kinds of builds and stat distributions will work and which ones are traps, huge fuckoff swarm encounters that hit you often and dodge a lot, that kind of thing. and these are all things you never do on purpose, it's just what happens when you're a mostly solo dev and you look at something and say "yup this makes sense (to me)." it's a title that's so inaccessible that even if everything else about it is great, actually playing it feels so bad that i don't care if it's secretly good.

it also doesn't help that i'm the kind of player who hates lorebooks and codices. the three-paragraph stories in suikoden is about the maximum i'm willing to engage with in-game literature.

actually suikoden 3 produced the best piece of in-game literature i've ever read. it's crappy serialized pulp garbage but it's given to you in 2-3 sentence chunks as the story progresses, so even though the story itself is poo poo, the presentation is fun and compelling. it's also written by the sleazy merc in your army, whose squad members are always teasing him for spending his cut on trashy drugstore novels, under his pen name

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 14, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm playing through Baldurs Gate 2 right now but with cheats on so I can instantly heal and instantly kill enemies that I'm getting bored of swinging wildly at and its a very fun time

the best way to play baldurs gate 2 is to import one of the 20th level template wizards from throne of baal. actually no, the best way is to import any entire party of 20th level wizards.

no cheating though, thats dishonorable

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Baldur's Gate series would have been better as adventure games.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games were pretty dang fun as I recall

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

They are adventure games :confused:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really wish someone would make a game somehow combining the design philosophies of Mario and GTA

Would be the perfect drunken gently caress around game

Crackdown?

The Moon Monster posted:

It's weird the original release was broken badly but then the enhanced addition came out and if had all these award logos from magazines on it, for a barely functioning game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They are adventure games :confused:

They aren't adventure games until I have to solve the Underdark by hypnotizing a monkey to become a monkey wrench

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flannelette posted:

It's weird the original release was broken badly but then the enhanced addition came out and if had all these award logos from magazines on it, for a barely functioning game.

I mean barely playable because it sucked real bad and had ridiculous load times, not because it was literally broken.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 15, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goat Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ikanreed posted:

Sometimes.

Certainly I, a stupid computer toucher rear end in a top hat, enjoy trying to manually fiddle with memory addresses in CheatEngine to circumvent something I've decided is not fun.

But other times cheating just destroys all the fun I'll ever have with a game.

Sunless Sea is amazing, but I didn't have time for it in my life, so I cheated to see the ending. What I did was just give myself enough money to buy all the best ships, equipment, food etc, so that I'd never be without, and could tackle any enemy in the game.

What I got was a MUCH more competent game that was still by no means easy. loving hell, I cannot FATHOM how many hours you'd have to sink into it to get to the stage I was at, but you'd basically have to be at that point to do a lot of the stuff I was doing, and even then sometimes it would be touch and go. I still haven't seen the ending, or, really even close to the end, because even with all that poo poo it was STILL a slog.

I honestly cannot recommend the game without cheating now I've seen how much better it is with.