Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
That was my experience with Coup as well. Truthfully I would still enjoy it, but my Meta revolved around claiming Duke quickly. I got bored with having to play the Duke mini game to start each round, so I gifted it.

Cockroach Poker bounced off me hard, and while I enjoy Skull in bursts I do find the end of each round kind of unsatisfying.

For 5-6 players and lightish rules commitment, I would recommend Shipwreck Arcana (coop deduction game), Loony Quest (simultaneously drawing lines through a level without a reference), and Tiny Towns (basically a roll and write with city building elements and optional more interaction mode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any goons have opinions on Captains of the Gulf? It's got a two-fer with the newest in the "Cajun Trilogy" just hitting Kickstarter with Crescent City Cargo. I'm from the Gulf Coast so I have some sympathetic leanings towards buying it, but was hoping someone who had hands-on with Captains might speak to it as it's pretty sparse pickings on BGG.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I found that Cockroach Poker didn’t actually work as a game. Passing a card on is a much safer option than making a guess, as long as there are several players remaining as valid targets. It’s more fun to guess, but it feels bad playing suboptimally in order to move the game along.

It’s possible I’ve missed something about theoretical best play here.

nrook fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 13, 2020

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

nrook posted:

I found that Cockroach Poker didn’t actually work as a game. Passing a card on is a much safer option than making a guess, as long as there are several players remaining as valid targets. It’s more fun to guess, but it feels bad playing suboptimally in order to move the game along.

I don't think you've missed anything, passing when possible is the play 90% of the time. Then the games becomes about choosing who you pass the card to in order to have it actually reach the person you want to pick it up. It's also just pretty fun to see a card do the round, see your friends lie through their teeth and then watch another of your friends fall for it hook, line and sinker :unsmigghh:

Strategy isn't a big element of the game though really.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

I've been really enjoying Chameleon as a substitute for both Codenames and Resistance. It's a brilliant meeting of the two. One guy said he hates social deduction games so I asked him to phrase the game as a word puzzle and he had a blast through that lens. So ya know! I'd recommend it if you happen to enjoy both of these games. I'd say it's harder to teach than Codenames but easier than Resistance.
I have chameleon in my box of "tolerable party games that I I can use to preempt terrible party games" and I think it has a near fatal flaw in that if the chameleon goes first they can have very little to base their contribution on. Rounds should last like 2 minutes so I think it's acceptable but people might be put off by it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Having to start as The Chameleon is unfortunate, but not horrendous.

Where it gets rough is the fact that starting player for the next round is whoever was The Chameleon of the prior, which means if you get dealt to be The Chameleon multiple times in a row then things get real hairy real fast.

(Never actually played The Chameleon, but original Spyfall works the same way. Spyfall 2 mitigated this by having you rotate starting player each round so the worst case scenario is that the Spy starts every game, but at least it’s not the same Spy starting every game!)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Some Strange Flea posted:

Having to start as The Chameleon is unfortunate, but not horrendous.

Where it gets rough is the fact that starting player for the next round is whoever was The Chameleon of the prior, which means if you get dealt to be The Chameleon multiple times in a row then things get real hairy real fast.

(Never actually played The Chameleon, but original Spyfall works the same way. Spyfall 2 mitigated this by having you rotate starting player each round so the worst case scenario is that the Spy starts every game, but at least it’s not the same Spy starting every game!)

It doesn't get hairy, it just gets poo poo.

Edit: hairy implies that it's nip and tuck, hard to navigate a win etc. Chameleon has none of that fun or interaction.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Conversely, I think starting as The Chameleon is fun, because it’s a lightning round of reading the board and finding something that could plausibly fit seven of the sixteen options, then backing up someone else’s aspersion towards another player’s slightly suspect clue.

This is especially strong in the large group variant where the card is turned over before the first clue is given, and it’s a little easier to accuse players later in the rotation of figuring out the word based on everyone’s “super obvious” clues.

The first clue should be more ambiguous than most, anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chameleon is best played drunk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nrook posted:

There's also the issue of calling bluffs. The only time you're in danger of losing a round is when you make a call or get called. You therefore want if possible to pass a card to someone who won't call you. But that means you can frequently read someone as playing in the hope that you won't call. It wouldn't work on a purely mechanical level, but it works on a social level.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

It’s also good form to call a player with three of a suit if you’re not in immediate danger of losing, because if you’re right, you kill them, and if you’re wrong, you gain a card that likely already has multiple copies on the board, and you get to lead. It’s great when the table passes a kill card to the intended target second-last, and even better when the last player is also on the cusp of defeat :getin:

panko fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 14, 2020

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

One of my greatest gaming experiences is when four of us went one round toe to toe on Chameleon for a good an half hour. Nobody was sure who the chameleon was - it was easily the most intense social deduction experience. The game becomes everybody trying really hard to walk the line of not giving away the word while showing you know it.
I would play with a timer next time because i feel having to triage who gets interrogated adds spice.

On Catan, I have a feeling its the greatest board game invented in the last thirty years. Its got everything, action, suspense, diplomacy and even a little sprinkling of luck.

Cheers!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Y'all are playing Cockroach Poker wrong. You call early in the chain (accurately) so that people learn to be afraid of you and avoid putting themselves in a situation where they'd pass to you :getin:

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Thank you whoever suggested Cats & Chocolate, played it tonight with online pals and it was very fun :]

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

MizuZero posted:

It’s also good form to call a player with three of a suit if you’re not in immediate danger of losing, because if you’re right, you kill them, and if you’re wrong, you gain a card that likely already has multiple copies on the board, and you get to lead. It’s great when the table passes a kill card to the intended target second-last, and even better when the last player is also on the cusp of defeat :getin:

Yes, this! Getting the table to intentionally pass the kill to someone without saying anything out loud is one of the games hidden pleasures.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Urgh I'm saving for a PS5, but Amazon AU's Prime Day has Arkham Horror LCG for $37 AUD.

Everywhere else has it for $50-60.

Urgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I bought it because I am weak

RIP your wallet. Arkham Horror LCG is not the kind of thing to get into if you are budget minded.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I knew I wanted everything (or at least a major chunk of it) before I went into Arkham Horror LCG, so I scoured the secondary market for a year before I finally got 4 complete cycles, two of the return to... boxes and a few of the stand-alone scenarios for ~350 bucks, which is a pretty great deal compared to buying it new (let alone the convenience of not having to wait for reprints). It is massively expensive, yes, but it is almost a perfect game for me and my girlfriend. We both like the setting and she vastly prefers cooperative to competitive games. We're halfway through Dunwich Horror, thoroughly enjoying ourselves and knowing that there's a lot more to come is such a nice feeling.

Between this and Gloomhaven I don't really know if I ever need another non-party boardgame to get into.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 14, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oenis posted:

Between this and Gloomhaven I don't really know if I ever need another non-party boardgame to get into.

Gloomhaven is a much better value prospect than Arkham LCG. You pay more up front, but in the end you pay much less for the complete experience.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Digital edition launching Oct 29th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfOQbAOEbMQ

Feel like this gives off a much different vibe than the boardgame does, but it might be an interesting pickup.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm glad that there are people who enjoy it but I bounced off AH LCG so hard that it made me feel bad for my brother, who bought it for me, and my boyfriend, who kind of enjoyed playing it. But I didn't find it engaging in any way. There didn't seem to be any kind of real puzzle to work through, the cards are all fairly simplistic and it was mostly just a case of seeing who had the best card at each moment to do whatever needed doing. I'm not really into the theming either which probably doesn't help.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What do you mean? Everybody loves Cthulu in everything.

If people didn't enjoy Cthulu, why are they making so many Cthulu products?

It's weird you don't like Cthulu, there's so many Cthulu related games to play!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If I ever run a Kickstarter, I'm going to have a Cthulu add-on even if it doesn't fit the product thematically at all.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

If I ever run a Kickstarter, I'm going to have a Cthulu add-on even if it doesn't fit the product thematically at all.

Like Kemet did? That was such a loving boneheaded move.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Its because HP Lovecraft is public domain so no one has to pay royalties. If you want to get rid of Cthulhu advocate for shorter copyrights.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The 'Maybe people asking for diversity are the real racists, since we are all HUMANS' people have entered Mayveena's thread.

Oh, you experience racism? Maybe you're the racist for considering yourself different.

Screenshotted since things get wiped pretty quick, surprised those are hanging around though. Seems very dismissive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
dear black people, have you considered identifying as white instead???

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm glad that there are people who enjoy it but I bounced off AH LCG so hard that it made me feel bad for my brother, who bought it for me, and my boyfriend, who kind of enjoyed playing it. But I didn't find it engaging in any way. There didn't seem to be any kind of real puzzle to work through, the cards are all fairly simplistic and it was mostly just a case of seeing who had the best card at each moment to do whatever needed doing. I'm not really into the theming either which probably doesn't help.

I can understand not liking the theming, but the bolded bit stands out to me as patently untrue. There are certainly classes that are simpler (if I'm playing with newbies I usually suggest they pick a Guardian or Seeker for their character) but the other three classes all have a lot of characters that have a lot of choices and strategy involved, both during deckbuilding and actual play. Mystics and Survivors in particular get into some pretty heavy shenanigans.

You might not see this out of the core box, because the three scenarios in the core box are really there to teach the game - the first scenario introduces the basic mechanics, the second one introduces more complex win and lose conditions and a bigger map, and the third shows that you're pretty much expected to lose occasionally. This sets up a framework for a pretty great game with TONS of variety in the scenarios.

The only campaign I really dislike is The Forgotten Age, and even that has some really standout cool scenarios. It just seems so overtuned and punishing for the first two or three that I rarely replay it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Oenis posted:

I still don't know how people manage this. Gloomhaven is great and everything but after only a month and a handful of scenarios I'm already chaffing at the lack of opportunities to play different games. I guess my short attention span strikes again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Redundant posted:

I still don't know how people manage this. Gloomhaven is great and everything but after only a month and a handful of scenarios I'm already chaffing at the lack of opportunities to play different games. I guess my short attention span strikes again.

Plenty of people are happy playing Bridge every week.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ravendas posted:

The 'Maybe people asking for diversity are the real racists, since we are all HUMANS' people have entered Mayveena's thread.

Oh, you experience racism? Maybe you're the racist for considering yourself different.

Screenshotted since things get wiped pretty quick, surprised those are hanging around though. Seems very dismissive.

Octavian is trying to allow the expansion of the discussion without it getting out of hand. Feel free to report it or any other dismissive seeming posts, he reads those reports. Also remember that we are all on the anti-racist journey and Octavian (who is a white guy, I've met him) may not realize how racist these statements really are. Now don't criticize!!! They are trying very hard to move forward however they may need a little help. Also keep in mind he'll automatically delete any posts about the moderation.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rutibex posted:

If GH set up and took down as quickly as bridge does I'd be playing it a lot more.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There’s a new edition of seven wonders, can anyone tell me what’s up with that? Seems like a remake of the first box but I’m not sure what actually changed.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Golden Bee posted:

There’s a new edition of seven wonders, can anyone tell me what’s up with that? Seems like a remake of the first box but I’m not sure what actually changed.

They adjusted a bunch of what things cost to adjust balance. Like if something cost a cloth and a stone before, now it costs a flask and two brick, and so on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

food court bailiff posted:

I can understand not liking the theming, but the bolded bit stands out to me as patently untrue. There are certainly classes that are simpler (if I'm playing with newbies I usually suggest they pick a Guardian or Seeker for their character) but the other three classes all have a lot of characters that have a lot of choices and strategy involved, both during deckbuilding and actual play. Mystics and Survivors in particular get into some pretty heavy shenanigans.

You might not see this out of the core box, because the three scenarios in the core box are really there to teach the game - the first scenario introduces the basic mechanics, the second one introduces more complex win and lose conditions and a bigger map, and the third shows that you're pretty much expected to lose occasionally. This sets up a framework for a pretty great game with TONS of variety in the scenarios.

The only campaign I really dislike is The Forgotten Age, and even that has some really standout cool scenarios. It just seems so overtuned and punishing for the first two or three that I rarely replay it.

That sounds fine but if I have to buy a ton of additional content to get the interesting part of the game then I'm not going to play that game. Why the hell would I want to spend more money on a product whose baseline offering has utterly failed to impress me? I find it hard enough to justify buying expansions for games I really love let alone ones which are kind of janky out of the box.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've put up a new gang tag thread for TG: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018
If you guys would like to mull over some kind of board game tag, hop on over and make some suggestions!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Rutibex posted:

This isn’t really a fair comparison, though, given that bridge is so far superior to any board game devised in the past fifty years.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mayveena posted:

Octavian is trying to allow the expansion of the discussion without it getting out of hand. Feel free to report it or any other dismissive seeming posts, he reads those reports. Also remember that we are all on the anti-racist journey and Octavian (who is a white guy, I've met him) may not realize how racist these statements really are. Now don't criticize!!! They are trying very hard to move forward however they may need a little help. Also keep in mind he'll automatically delete any posts about the moderation.

Yeah, Octavian is doing a good job overall. I don't have any complaints about his moderation style. Just sometimes surprising what doesn't hit the threshold of too racist or dismissive, and remains.

Edit: Screenshotting some awful responses for the discord. Yikes. I think some people made fake accounts to post in this thread of yours Mayveena.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2020

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Its because HP Lovecraft is public domain so no one has to pay royalties. If you want to get rid of Cthulhu advocate for shorter copyrights.

or just live longer, so more is in the public domain while you are alive

...and use some of that extra lifespan to advocate for shorter copyrights

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got my copy of Pax Pamir in today. The components are great, and I got the metal coins too, because I am a complete sucker for metal coins and playmats. I'm looking forward to learning the game, looking at and then never getting it to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Boy, that Alma Mater thread sure is something. The 'I don't see color' crew are showing up.

Rutibex posted:

Gloomhaven is a much better value prospect than Arkham LCG. You pay more up front, but in the end you pay much less for the complete experience.
Content-wise, not much compares to Gloomhaven.

Narrative-wise, scenario design-wise, I'll take any single deluxe campaign of Arkham LCG over Gloomhaven's unmemorable one, though.