Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DrDork posted:

They didn't "stop FE sales," they just stopped trying to sell them directly on NVidia.com because their backend couldn't deal.

FE cards are still available through BestBuy, and there was a decent-sized drop of them a week ago.

Sure let's see what the actual volume will be then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The idea that Jensen is a business genius who looked at how well they hosed AMD with pricing last gen and went "You know what, we should do the exact opposite this generation! Just to be fair!" is ridiculous.

How the gently caress can anyone take MLID seriously? Anything he gets right is by coincidence. He's just an AMD fanboy. Of course he gets some things right - he spouts enormous amounts of vague prophecies about how AMD is just around the corner from world domination, throwing in the rumors that everyone has access to as a sort of insurance policy for his credibility.

If FE supply is drying up, and we want to speculate about why, there's a much simpler explanation : Nvidia is doing it to keep AIBs happy. Since they aren't able to supply enough GPUs, they're allowing the AIBs to gobble up as large a percentage of them as possible. Once supply normalizes, FEs will be available again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MikeC posted:

Sure let's see what the actual volume will be then.

The volume is low, like it is for all Ampere cards. But it's not zero; they haven't discontinued them or anything.

The entire MLID video is dumb. NVidia didn't "jack up prices" to benefit themselves--they're not getting a cut of scalper's eBay sales, after all, and most likely aren't getting a cut of AIB's profits (most likely just providing components at fixed prices). If his claim that the FE costs $600 to manufacture is correct, $699 MSRP is a damned steal. Hard to argue both that the margins are razor thin and that they're inflating prices at the same time. It's also no surprise that AIBs are trying to sell more of the "OC" versions of their cards...like they always do. "Let's count the NewEgg review numbers!" when the most reviewed card has literally 39 reviews and use that as some meaningful metric? Just lol.

From a business perspective his whole "lol NVidia is strangling themselves intentionally for the two months they have zero competition so they can flood the channel in Nov at the same time they effectively increase prices in order to compete with Big Navi" is...uh...incredibly dumb. Like, there's so much to unpack there that doesn't make any sense.

It more sounds like this guy has never sat through a major GPU launch before.

e; I do think he's right that the 20GB 3080's will be around $999, but that doesn't seem like any sort of galaxybrain call.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 14, 2020

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I read a yt comment the other day about how the FE has the good capacitor setup because nvidia wanted the FE to beat all the AIB cards and that was apparently a thing MLID said or this guy somehow got that impression.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

I read a yt comment the other day about how the FE has the good capacitor setup because nvidia wanted the FE to beat all the AIB cards and that was apparently a thing MLID said or this guy somehow got that impression.

The whole capacitor thing turned out to be a red herring. Other AIBs have also gone with a similar or even "better" cap setup, so it's not like NVidia was doing anything particularly special there.

I wouldn't hit MLID too much for that, though, since a huge chunk of the "reviewers" and bloggers got suckered into that for a bit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DrDork posted:

If his claim that the FE costs $600 to manufacture is correct, $699 MSRP is a damned steal.

He is actually claiming that the BOM cost is $600, making it even more of a steal. For those that don't know the BOM is the Bill of Materials and wouldn't normally include the cost of actually populating the board, installing the mechanical components (heat sink, fans, etc), testing it, packaging it, shipping it, etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So are cards reasonable to purchase yet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the BOM is $600 they’re selling cards at a massive loss.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The hilarious part about all this is nvidia could have just priced these at $800 straight up instead and people would still be eating this poo poo up. No need for nwo lizard people conspiracy style shenanigans at all. Just like... say the price is $800.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sickening posted:

Reasonable if want to either queue upon EVGA web store and wait potentially months or line up outside of a Micro Center hours before opening in hopes of a delivery truck delivering inventory of 3 or 4 cards for the day. If that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rubellavator posted:

That would be kind of a ridiculous thing for Nvidia to do since all of the AIB manufacturers purchase their GPUs from Nvidia (which is almost assuredly a larger percentage of their actual sales than their in-house cards). Also from what was shown a few weeks ago, both capacitor setups were included in the reference design from Nvidia to the AIBs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
MLID's latest video was at least somewhat correct as far as Zen 3 was concerned: of course it's not going to be good price-to-performance, because you're buying the new poo poo on release. If you're not yet on Zen 2 but you want an upgrade, Zen 2 is probably going to give you the most bang for your buck, especially if there's price drops as Zen 3 releases.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Not really. I am on my computer an inordinate amount of time every day, have my phone on me and am 15 steps away the rest of the time, am on two different Discords that do stock notifications, have all the apps installed, accounts created, credit cards prepopulated, and I haven't even come close.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I watched a MLID video once and felt stupider for doing so. He's clearly just bullshitting, filling in blanks where there's holes in what people generally know. Never again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean none of the reliable Asian leakers make youtube videos I can watch so

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

Not really. I am on my computer an inordinate amount of time every day, have my phone on me and am 15 steps away the rest of the time, am on two different Discords that do stock notifications, have all the apps installed, accounts created, credit cards prepopulated, and I haven't even come close.

That was me until I gave it up a few weeks ago.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MLID and Adored are not sources and do not have sources, they are guys that like to bullshit about tech stuff. There are posters in this very thread that have better prediction track records and understanding of the industry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Adored though is pretty insufferable. I still remember him predicting Zen 2 clocking to 5.0 Ghz

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I mean, it's quite possible that there will be larger shipments of Ampere cards in the next few weeks but not for some nefarious conspiracy reason. I think it would more likely be something mundane like increased production or arrival of boat shipments or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1316406564316684288

this owns lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kraftwerk posted:

I got this feeling that I’m gonna get my card tomorrow. There’s something in the air. If I’m wrong I’m gonna be a laughing stock on this thread. I hope I’m right. Enough time has passed that if my retailer truly had an active purchase order with Asus I should have my card tomorrow.

I believe in you!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I mean, it's quite possible that there will be larger shipments of Ampere cards in the next few weeks but not for some nefarious conspiracy reason. I think it would more likely be something mundane like increased production or arrival of boat shipments or something.

Yeah, that's how GPU launches have gone for years now: very limited supply for the first month or two while production ramps up, and then things settle out after a bit.

No tech company other than Apple has the luxury of being able to just sit back and produce millions of units of a product and hold off releasing it until they're "ready." Everyone else hits some minimal viable initial quantity and then kicks it out the door and plays catchup over time, lest their competitor slip out their own product early.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adored though is pretty insufferable. I still remember him predicting Zen 2 clocking to 5.0 Ghz

Don't worry he is quitting

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MikeC posted:

Don't worry he is quitting

he'll be back in another month

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can I just pay one of you nerds to grab me a 3080 so I don’t have to install nodejs and 100 modules on top to get a JavaScript (lol) desktop app running? :thunk:

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is anyone else undervolting their RTX 3080? I'm so used to doing it with my gaming laptops over the years and I wonder if it makes any difference for temperatures.

I have a MSI Gaming Trio X 3080.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Arzachel posted:

I don't follow tech rumour youtuber dudes, does he have an actual reputation or is it the usual case of scattershot clickbait takes?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is bullshitting but no, this guy is an absolute moron

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
*Hey I wonder what the GPU thread is up to, hope people ended up grabbing a card*

:yikes:

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 14, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sickening posted:

They were always reasonable to purchase. Whether you had a chance of getting ahold of one is an entirely different question that mostly comes down to luck. I somehow won the 9/23 lottery, a success which I attribute to playing EVE and getting done with a fleet at just the right time to remind myself to F5 the Nvidia website.

So smear some goat entrails on the floor and wear your favorite sportsteam shirt and maybe you'll get one?

Taima posted:

*Hey I wonder what the GPU thread is up to, hope people ended up grabbing a card*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taima posted:

The prime day GPU deal is up! 9% off a 5600XT!!!!!! https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11296-05-20G-Radeon-backplate-Graphics/dp/B089KVC54X?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_349e4521_75&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

(I was seriously expecting some 20xx deals but maybe they're waiting for black friday)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Did anything important happen in the last 800 posts? Been *just gamin* since I got my card and not reading all that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

space marine todd posted:

Is anyone else undervolting their RTX 3080? I'm so used to doing it with my gaming laptops over the years and I wonder if it makes any difference for temperatures.

I have a MSI Gaming Trio X 3080.

Yep, it knocks temps down by ~5c for me. Worth doing on an FE for sure, can't speak for AIBs though since not all of them are overbuilt like the TUF Gaming cards.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
So if we don't want to waste away each day trying to grab a mythical 3080 and have come to terms with not being able to get one until next year, the best current option is to just buy a 20xx card and step up right?

I've been sitting on this second hand 980 for quite awhile now and want to see what my 1440 monitor looks like with a better card.

Let's say I buy a 2070 S and want to step to a 3080 but the wait is so drat long that a refresh comes out before I'm offered a card. Would I be able to step to a 3080 Super/ti or would I be stuck with the vanilla 3080?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

So if we don't want to waste away each day trying to grab a mythical 3080 and have come to terms with not being able to get one until next year, the best current option is to just buy a 20xx card and step up right?

I've been sitting on this second hand 980 for quite awhile now and want to see what my 1440 monitor looks like with a better card.

Let's say I buy a 2070 S and want to step to a 3080 but the wait is so drat long that a refresh comes out before I'm offered a card. Would I be able to step to a 3080 Super/ti or would I be stuck with the vanilla 3080?

Up to EVGA's discretion. You don't get to pick anything other than what is offered.

quote:

EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 24G-P5-3987-KR, 24GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (24G-P5-3987-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (10G-P5-3897-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3173-KR, 8GB GDDR6 (08G-P4-3173-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate (06G-P4-2068-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 BLACK GAMING, 06G-P4-1160-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Single Fan (06G-P4-1160-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SC ULTRA GDDR6 GAMING, 04G-P4-1257-KR, 4GB GDDR6, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate (04G-P4-1257-KR) (PDF)

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kingnothing posted:

Did anything important happen in the last 800 posts? Been *just gamin* since I got my card and not reading all that.

not really, just lots of 3080 wanting/getting/complaining etc. Big Navi announcement in 13 days, 3070 launch in 14 days. continue gaming.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is bullshitting but no, this guy is an absolute moron

In other news: https://mobile.twitter.com/AdoredTV/status/1316305919291125760

Good riddance, AdorkTV

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

every thing seems to be working right now, the card is running 10° hotter

the silicon lottery seems ok so i should have more space for overclocking-undervolting, yes?

1400 MHz is high for a RX570 already, looks pretty solid to me if it's stable in actual games :shrug:
A single benchmark screenshot doesn't tell us anything, you'd need a series of them with different settings (and a stock one of course as baseline). If you're real serious you repeat every single one like 5 times to get a good median.
The silicon quality number is a pure guess by that software. Every card is unique so there isn't really a guide with hard numbers to follow.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cygni posted:

not really, just lots of 3080 wanting/getting/complaining etc. Big Navi announcement in 13 days, 3070 launch in 14 days. continue gaming.

:kiss:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

didn't adored already "quit" last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Black Sunshine posted:

Obviously I’m not an EVGA employee, but I’ve spent a fair amount of time in their forums and have been keeping track of movements in the “step up” queue. Last I checked, they had worked through approx. the first 30 minutes of Step Up enrollees on Day 1 (Sept 17th) of the queue—which means that, even assuming a disproportionate percentage of people signed up in the first 24 hours (and assuming things will pick up in the coming weeks or months) somebody jumping into the queue today should probably expect a significant wait for their number to be called. Like, realistically early 2021 at best.

To try answering your other question, I feel like the card you select as your upgrade during your step-up submission is the card you’re more or less locked in to. So if you choose one today and a 20 GB version is available the day they call your number—after they’ve reserved a unit of the initially requested card to fulfill your place in line—I don’t believe you can say “actually make it one of the newer models and I’ll go ahead and send my ‘old’ card in”. I think you’re kind of SOL unless you manage to speak to a customer support rep and they’re really generous because something significant has changed with their supply or something.

EDIT: As somebody who signed up about 12 hours after the queue opened up for 3080’s, I’ll let the thread know when I move forward to replacing the card. At least then there should be a decent visibility of “they’ve made it through the first half day of step-up enrollees today”. I still imagine that that’s a waaaays off though.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 14, 2020