Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Never stopped the English before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

whats the threshold that defines a hotspot?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
So my 70 year old mum's been under the weather for a while, had a negative covid test and got told it might be worth doing a stool sample. She pops to the doctors, buzzes the intercom and gets told to put her hand through the letterbox to be given a sample tube. I can't imagine how many other people have put their hand through that letterbox. At least for her sake she had gloves and sanitiser on her.

Surely this is woefully bad practice during a pandemic? Does it warrant a complaint to the CQC?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wait wait... they fixed it by keeping the notifications but having them say DON'T WORRY at you? :stare:

There's no way of hiding the notifications until the v2 version of the apple/google thing comes out so there's not really a better way to do it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Private Speech posted:

Did any regular ITT have it yet or am I the first?

*runs into thread, out of breath* Pretty much my entire family got it in early March. When we phoned up to get tested they said, "If you haven't been to China you don't have it".

Turned out we'd been to a crowded birthday party with someone who'd been working with COVID patients.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wait wait... they fixed it by keeping the notifications but having them say DON'T WORRY at you? :stare:

The Apple/Google API sends a generic exposure notification whenever any of the IDs it has recorded report a positive case. They're planning on updating this at some point.

The gov app (NHS in our case) sends its own notification specifically telling you to quarantine if an ID that had been recorded reports a positive test and it meets a risk criteria defined by the NHS (which is based on signal strength and contact duration).

The new update today tells you to ignore the generic notification if it doesn't also trigger an NHS notification.

It ain't perfect, but it's something.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Trespass on the railway is an offence, of course. Being "on the railway" is being "lineside", i.e. anywhere between the fences alongside the railway - which brings us back to fences again. :)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Back when I was still a rail person (15-20 years ago), if a fatality happened (and the knock on cost of literally £00000s switching hands between train operators / network rail), if it could be shown the person got on to the track via a platform (or other 'legitimate' means), the TOC would have to pay, but if through a broken or non-existent fence etc then NR would have to pay. We used to joke that if there was a fatality reps from NR and TOC would race to the scene and if TOC personnel got there first, check pockets for a ticket - proof TOC responsibility - and remove it (to shift blame to NR) and if NR got there first, check pockets for a ticket and if NOT found, put one in pocket to shift blame to TOC. Of course, this is mere 'urban myth' and probably never happened. Animals on the line also cause £00000s.

I've a rulebook somewhere, from the 50s I think, where the instruction for when a body is found is something like "move it to the side, continue and inform the next signalbox". It was a whole different world...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Clarence posted:

It was a whole different world...
There were manned signal boxes for a start.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Random question because I'm sure someone will know.

For bathroom extractor fans where the noisy bit is in the roof rather than the vent (or any HVAC really) you can get axial fans like

where air goes in, air comes out, easy enough, and you can get inline centrifugal fans like

where the air is flung out at right angles, and then marshaled around so that the duct can be inline, which seems inefficient to me, but I'm looking for a centrifugal fan like every other centrifugal blower type, like

although that's obviously complete overkill for a bathroom (make your own poo poo poo poo jokes), because I need to turn 90 degrees in very limited space and it seems like having a fan that normally does that anyway would be ideal.

Why are all the centrifugal bathroom fans inline when that seems far worse? Why can I not get an ordinary 150mm ducted blower that isn't 415V 1.5kW and designed for an oil rig?
You can get external units that do exactly that

but they're about 300 quid and not what I actually need.

Not sure I can answer your question satisfactorily, but I just went through this and had similar issues finding what I needed until I eventually bought a unity cv2 dmev from greenwood.

You may not need a huge blower in your bathroom, I got that one as it continuously silently extracts and automatically increases to slightly noisier but temporary boosted operation when either the bathroom gets humid (it has a sensor built in) or you can boost it via an additional connection to the lightswitch. This one is really neat because you can tune it to different continuous and boost levels depending on your needs, and it's suuper quiet. standard ducting and it's very unobtrusive. Because it runs continuously it doesn't use much power to achieve a drier room as well.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kecske posted:

whats the threshold that defines a hotspot?

You have to ask Michael Barrymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30Kus48QHQ

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Had it in June, in your face.

Isomermaid posted:

I had it March

gently caress

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Isn’t test/trace/isolate a long term solution if it’s actually done well? I thought that was what was done for SARS?

SARS was kinda different because it only infected about 8000 people globally, as opposed to the *checks Google* 32.8 MILLION?! Holy poo poo. Ahem. As opposed to the 32.8 million cases of Covid so far.

If you have relatively low case numbers, and a hopefully less infectious disease, you can use track and track to effectively wipe it out (at least from a given area, you then have to prevent it from re-entering the area somehow). But Covid is pretty much everywhere, it's infectious as balls and a lot of cases are asymptomatic, so even the most effective track and trace system is going to struggle to eliminate it completely. And without strict border controls you're going to continue to get outbreaks. So I think the window for wiping out the virus by isolating every person who has it has well and truly passed.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Apropos of nothing:

https://twitter.com/Darren_Dutton/status/1315045283324211200?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

unity cv2 dmev from greenwood.
That looks cool, thank you. I was expecting silly prices and features when I saw SMART in the first sentence but they seem quite reasonable.

StarkingBarfish posted:

You may not need a huge blower in your bathroom, I got that one as it continuously silently extracts and automatically increases to slightly noisier but temporary boosted operation when either the bathroom gets humid (it has a sensor built in) or you can boost it via an additional connection to the lightswitch. This one is really neat because you can tune it to different continuous and boost levels depending on your needs, and it's suuper quiet. standard ducting and it's very unobtrusive. Because it runs continuously it doesn't use much power to achieve a drier room as well.
That's might be a good solution for me too. Basically my bathroom window is stuck, because the brain genius original designers put the shower right near it, so that needs replacing, and I was going to go for one that doesn't open at all, a solid pane one with a little vent, so would need a fan anyway.

We're currently using a dehumidifier on a RCCD safety extension lead to stop the whole thing becoming a black mold farm, and we're probably going to hard wire one into the bathroom while doing the other stuff, so the humidity load shouldn't be too great, so that might work.

fwiw I did find a proper non-ridiculous blower like what I was thinking, but it's in China and you have to contact for a price. But they do exist and have a frame that could be secured to joists if I went that route.

No idea why they seem to not exist in the UK.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jakabite posted:

Dad’s funeral tomorrow after he unexpectedly passed a couple of weeks ago. We’re tier 2. We’ve been trying to plan how everything after the funeral will go with absolutely gently caress all luck. We literally can’t predict anything, and we also can’t work out how to turn a 30 person funeral into a 15 person wake in a bar that also allows separate households to sit together but not as part of the wake party. gently caress knows. gently caress this poo poo, gently caress this year.

Condolences, it's a loving poo poo thing to happen and the extra rules don't help. Hopefully the weather will be alright so you can do something outside.

I always feel for people in this thread going through bereavement, and though I don't always say so, I hope they have people around them to support them and have the time to process their loss.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you've got an English licence plate on your car you're getting pulled over.

And now with the new restrictions police can even do something afterwards

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i had in march, i think at least. i was at a gig in a pub at the end of febuary and i was keyed in to what was happening so i bailed pretty quickly, but then developed fever, shortness of breath, and the worst shits i have ever had bar none in march. i've had noro, too. lasted for loving ever, kept getting better and then getting worse and killed my appetite.

this was before i could apply for testing, although i had the option for an antibodies test but i declined, wasn't sure what i would have done with the information.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

If you've got an English licence plate on your car you're getting pulled over.

And now with the new restrictions police can even do something afterwards

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

That looks cool, thank you. I was expecting silly prices and features when I saw SMART in the first sentence but they seem quite reasonable.

That's might be a good solution for me too. Basically my bathroom window is stuck, because the brain genius original designers put the shower right near it, so that needs replacing, and I was going to go for one that doesn't open at all, a solid pane one with a little vent, so would need a fan anyway.

We're currently using a dehumidifier on a RCCD safety extension lead to stop the whole thing becoming a black mold farm, and we're probably going to hard wire one into the bathroom while doing the other stuff, so the humidity load shouldn't be too great, so that might work.

fwiw I did find a proper non-ridiculous blower like what I was thinking, but it's in China and you have to contact for a price. But they do exist and have a frame that could be secured to joists if I went that route.

This is basically the exact same problem I had- painted shut window, and even if it was openable i'd need some way of ensuring a positive air pressure which seemed like a faff. The chinese fans I looked into all had poo poo reviews, and the UK ducted blower ones seemed noisy/anaemic for the price. That dmev isn't 'smart' as in smartphone. The CV3 version is but tbh I don't see the point of wiring my shitter into the cloud.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Clarence posted:

Trespass on the railway is an offence, of course. Being "on the railway" is being "lineside", i.e. anywhere between the fences alongside the railway - which brings us back to fences again. :)

I've a rulebook somewhere, from the 50s I think, where the instruction for when a body is found is something like "move it to the side, continue and inform the next signalbox". It was a whole different world...

One of my favourite thing I may have to do if we find an injured person on the line that can't be moved is walk 2 km down the line holding a flag hoping that I get to the right place in time for a train, possibly going 125 mph, to see me so it can break in time. If that person is injured where two lines meet I may have to walk 6 km in total (they don't advise you run as you could injure yourself.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jabby posted:

Had it in June, in your face.

They don't call you doctor for nothing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Learningcurve11 had it too but she's not really a regular any more (she popped up a couple of days ago and is still active on Twitter if anyone's worried).

I remember when the lockdown happened I'd counted 5 goon cases when we were arguing about what the infection rate might be - for a population both as London-phobic and social-phobic as this thread I was pretty impressed and worried.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1316405939180843013?s=19

CIA announce drama based on Operation GLADIO.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Private Speech posted:

I had it April or May - can't remember exactly when because that whole period became a dry-coughing blur. It felt like a really bad flu, and since I came down with the Australian Flu on Christmas Day I had a horrible point of comparison.

My wife got it as well, and hasn't fully recovered (constant fatigue).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

You want Aliexpress, not Alibaba, for small orders to non-Chinese locations

Anyway if you're sticking on the window you can probably just use a dinky axial one that fits right in the pane - the centrifugal fans are for high static pressure situations (lots of ducting)

If you're wiring it into the switches, consider also a push-button countdown switch

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 14, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I dont really know what I'm looking at but these things seem to exist pretty cheaply. In america. Dunno if that means its no good for use here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broan-Nu...5.c100008.m2219

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283994991838

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutone-NUT696N-Ceiling-Wall-Blower/dp/B001PO26E8

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

You want Aliexpress, not Alibaba, for small orders to non-Chinese locations

Anyway if you're sticking on the window you can probably just use a dinky axial one that fits right in the pane - the centrifugal fans are for high static pressure situations (lots of ducting)

If you're wiring it into the switches, consider also a push-button countdown switch
Sadly I can't find it on Aliexpress, I've tried everywhere else too, and searching for those kind of blowers within the UK just gets inline ones or ridiculous ones.

The fan isn't going on the window itself, that's going to be a solid pane with a little sliding vent at the top, the fan is going either in the roofspace (original plan) with a duct to the ceiling, or in the ceiling itself (StarkingBarfish fan plan), which is why one that vented at 90 degrees to the inlet would have been very useful, but apparently don't exist here despite being the far more logical form of centrifugal blower.

e: ^^ I've seen similar but yeah, I wouldn't use anything with an induction/shaded pole motor in from the US, because they're frequency dependent. Something like that may be a solution depending on the roof joists.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1316341848697434112?s=19

The Conservative party since its inception have been a bunch of power hungry psychopaths dedicated to nothing than "More money for us, gently caress you" but there will never be a day when liberals look at them and go "This is not my beautiful Tory Party, this is not my Beautiful Conservatives"

haakman
May 5, 2011
Dad died of it and my wife is petrified because she works in a college... some of the horror stories I could tell you.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He really is a poo poo public speaker / debater / presenter. And his Latin is crap as well, it's the equivalent of all of those Engrish things which were popular back in the early 00's. But people just assume because he has a posh accent and speaks Latin (again - shittly) that he must be smart. :shrug:

:edit - Don't use AliBaba as a consumer buyer for gods sake - it's a trade service and it's an absolute nightmare to use even for trade volumes etc.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 14, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Sadly I can't find it on Aliexpress, I've tried everywhere else too, and searching for those kind of blowers within the UK just gets inline ones or ridiculous ones.

The fan isn't going on the window itself, that's going to be a solid pane with a little sliding vent at the top, the fan is going either in the roofspace (original plan) with a duct to the ceiling, or in the ceiling itself (StarkingBarfish fan plan), which is why one that vented at 90 degrees to the inlet would have been very useful, but apparently don't exist here despite being the far more logical form of centrifugal blower.

e: ^^ I've seen similar but yeah, I wouldn't use anything with an induction/shaded pole motor in from the US, because they're frequency dependent. Something like that may be a solution depending on the roof joists.

hmm, maybe this works: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5075097 ?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Considering how many people at the BBC are supposed to have know what he was doing and said nothing I wonder how they'll cover that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Considering how many people at the BBC are supposed to have know what he was doing and said nothing I wonder how they'll cover that.

All of the people who knew will be given the face of Jeremy Corbyn, as will Savile.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1316341848697434112?s=19

The Conservative party since its inception have been a bunch of power hungry psychopaths dedicated to nothing than "More money for us, gently caress you" but there will never be a day when liberals look at them and go "This is not my beautiful Tory Party, this is not my Beautiful Conservatives"

The Tory party has always been about preserving class power as an institution but there is definitely an ideological split between its progressive-ish neolib more women CEOs Cameronite wing and its paternalistic nationalist wing. They're both awful but while the former is powered by cynical profit seeking the latter has historically been happy enough to use protectionism etc to protect British interests. I very much doubt your average early twentieth century Tory would have dreamed of selling off UK state assets to foreign powers, for example (though hell, this is just a hunch and I'm willing to be proven wrong).

I actually find the frequent alliance between right-wing nationalists and free-market libertarians really interesting, because at a surface reading you'd expect the patriotic types to despise the guys trying to constantly undermine state power to make an easy buck, and on paper you'd think they might have more common ground with the union old boys. Direct state investment and protectionist trade policies are far more efficient ways of both promoting growth and therefore national power + prestige, while at the same time creating secure jobs. There's a reason all the gammons jack themselves off silly about WW2 every night - yes, there's all the mythos and pride and the rest of it, but a lot of that is built on this notion of cultural solidarity and resilience that really can't be separated from the fact that it was also the closest we've come in British history to a centrally planned economy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the difference is whether or not you actually understand the reality of the situation or whether you think the flag waving and jingoistic rhetoric is the point.

If you actually care about the material circumstances then yes, nationalists and protectionists have more in common, but if you believe that right wing politics is heavily characterised by not understanding the issues properly, it follows also that they don't understand the actual politics they support and are receptive to being entirely lied to and will back the lies and the liar as long as they keep up the nationalist rhetoric.

If they were issues focused I don't think they would be right wing, if they are personality focused then it doesn't matter what issues their side creates as long as the person at the top looks and sounds the right way and says the right things. It isn't just a difference of desired outcome it's a difference of the entire way they understand politics and the world.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 14, 2020

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I haven't had corvid but my mental health is in the toilet (I mean it was already) and I probably won't have a job by the end of the year and I'm not sure how I'll pay the bills...

Not really sure what to do or who to turn to the NHS system for MH help is hosed and my GP can't/won't offer me anything except an SSRI which in my experience makes everything worse.

Condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to Covid :(

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

i'm anticipating i will have settled in a pretty true blue forever tory area by 2024, so i'm curious what this means for my vote. like, does it even matter? it's weird to contemplate not voting but what's the point you know?

hey dude welcome back. i think for your own peace of mind you should continue voting tory

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

The Tory party has always been about preserving class power as an institution but there is definitely an ideological split between its progressive-ish neolib more women CEOs Cameronite wing and its paternalistic nationalist wing. They're both awful but while the former is powered by cynical profit seeking the latter has historically been happy enough to use protectionism etc to protect British interests. I very much doubt your average early twentieth century Tory would have dreamed of selling off UK state assets to foreign powers, for example (though hell, this is just a hunch and I'm willing to be proven wrong).

I actually find the frequent alliance between right-wing nationalists and free-market libertarians really interesting, because at a surface reading you'd expect the patriotic types to despise the guys trying to constantly undermine state power to make an easy buck, and on paper you'd think they might have more common ground with the union old boys. Direct state investment and protectionist trade policies are far more efficient ways of both promoting growth and therefore national power + prestige, while at the same time creating secure jobs. There's a reason all the gammons jack themselves off silly about WW2 every night - yes, there's all the mythos and pride and the rest of it, but a lot of that is built on this notion of cultural solidarity and resilience that really can't be separated from the fact that it was also the closest we've come in British history to a centrally planned economy.

Never let one's inability to explain political programmes disturb one's confidence in theory, I always say...

:v:

That aside, there was a dramatic rupture between the Tory nationalists and the Tory free-marketers - that was the great fracture over Europe was about, after all. The transformation of the once-'party of Europe' to, erm, whatever it is that rules Britain today has been a shift of great import, to say the least...

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

i wish

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SpicePro posted:

I haven't had corvid but my mental health is in the toilet (I mean it was already) and I probably won't have a job by the end of the year and I'm not sure how I'll pay the bills...

Not really sure what to do or who to turn to the NHS system for MH help is hosed and my GP can't/won't offer me anything except an SSRI which in my experience makes everything worse.

Condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to Covid :(

My friend is in the same boat, wanted to come off medication, had a poo poo time, wanted something else but has to go back onto medication and hoping they can still get it post-Brexit. Cheery stuff.

I think I had Covid back in March, just after my girlfriend at the time broke up with me who I was living with. I had to sleep on an airbed all week, I was simultaneously shivering and sweating, coughing my guts out every few minutes, kept getting into emotional conversations with my ex that had me on the floor gasping for breath, barely ate anything and had this horrible headache that didn't shift for another week until after I recovered. My scalp was also really sensitive, if I brushed my hand through my hair it hurt a bit.

Overall it was a pretty poo poo month. But things got better, I even got a real bed in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Railchat:
A lot of railways have the requirement to be fenced written into the original acts of parliament which enabled their construction. Depending on who you ask, that's either for protection of livestock, or because the owners of the estates they cross didn't want the railway oiks getting on to their land. Livestock and trains are a troublesome mix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polmont_rail_accident