Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I fuckin loved leveling up rush so I could pinball from the big bad to a mook back and forth until the big bad dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

ilitarist posted:

I'm still puzzled by this question. Like why action games allow you to use just a couple of weapons instead of carrying every weapon?

Limitations can force you into interesting gameplay when there's enough depth to encourage you to innovate, or if the mechanics are compelling enough on their own, but lacking that it can be frustrating. It's why the 2 gun system works well enough in Call of Duty multiplayer, where you have to consider the map and your opponents weapons, and feels like an annoying rule in the single player.

I don't think this holds true for everyone, but I don't think any single part of Odyssey's Assassin/Warrior/Hunter trifecta stands well enough on its own to be stuck too for a large portion of a very long game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Friendly Fire posted:

Odyssey though to me felt like it had a veneer of a AAA game while underneath almost everything felt like it was unfinished in some way. From the story petering of to nothing, to the ships having troops be literal turrets that spin in place until boarding with no visible crew at all, to just about every building and non character NPC being copy/pasted.

yeah i liked a lot of the ideas in the game and thought it had some cool potential but much of it was sort of half assed. like the idea that you can recruit various people with different skill sets to your "crew" except all they do is just stand around, they never say or do anything interesting. the bounty hunter thing could have been a lot more interesting as well. i love the idea of a super powerful enemy who literally hunts you and chases you around the map but they just became more window dressing

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, I've heard people complaining about Odyssey being too long and repetitive. For me it was the only AC game that didn't bore me to death with gameplay making me rush for the ending - even in Origins I was made at the game cause I needed to do some sidequests to have a high enough level to tackle the end game. Odyssey had me playing postgame probably longer than I've played the base game, doing all the small quests, clearing out fortresses and so on and so on. I've enjoyed the basic gameplay loop.

Really it's probably the first game I liked enough to continue to play after the official end for a long time.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 14, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ilitarist posted:

I'm still puzzled by this question. Like why action games allow you to use just a couple of weapons instead of carrying every weapon?

The good ones let you carry every weapon

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ilitarist posted:

Makes me wonder if more games should follow GTA/RDR gameplay model where the main story is basically a long tutorial with the endless introduction of new mechanics

That style really infuriates me, so I don't think there's a solution that would please everyone. I like to be told all the game mechanics asap and then try to forget it's a game thereafter.

I also cannot imagine thinking only having 15-20 hours of game is good, but I suppose not gating the main quest behind levels might help people who want to rush.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vinland confirmed lol.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Alchenar posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait I have I been totally oblivious to this point because I know the scene has been shown before, but is that Kassandra telling the player characters to go conquer England?

First thing I noticed and....

Ubisoft Brazil says effectively, yes its Kassandra

https://twitter.com/UbisoftBrasil/status/1316484651700060164

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Earwicker posted:

yeah i liked a lot of the ideas in the game and thought it had some cool potential but much of it was sort of half assed. like the idea that you can recruit various people with different skill sets to your "crew" except all they do is just stand around, they never say or do anything interesting. the bounty hunter thing could have been a lot more interesting as well. i love the idea of a super powerful enemy who literally hunts you and chases you around the map but they just became more window dressing

I'm generally pro-Odyssey, but I really hated how you could recruit somewhat interesting characters from quests, but their ship skills were always so dogshit compared to literally any gold-tier officer that you'd be a fool to actually use them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trustworthy posted:

I'm generally pro-Odyssey, but I really hated how you could recruit somewhat interesting characters from quests, but their ship skills were always so dogshit compared to literally any gold-tier officer that you'd be a fool to actually use them.

It felt like a missed opportunity, given how much work they put into the ship combat and how much time you had to spend there to get to new places. Like, it's cool to have the family aboard, but it would have been cooler if the whole crew became people you collected. They would have had to re-think the songs, though, since those were all male or all female.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Better let me romance Kassandra! :wink:

Trustworthy posted:

Yeah like they introduce Odysseus's granddaughter but once she's on your ship she goes nowhere! Or everything with Kyra that just gets dropped. That's an rpg aspect I want way enlarged. Give me an interesting cast of recurring characters/let us actually have a romance that runs the whole game if we wish.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Eimi posted:

Yeah like they introduce Odysseus's granddaughter but once she's on your ship she goes nowhere! Or everything with Kyra that just gets dropped. That's an rpg aspect I want way enlarged. Give me an interesting cast of recurring characters/let us actually have a romance that runs the whole game if we wish.

that last "in depth" gameplay trailer kind of hinted that they were going in this direction for valhalla, in terms of how the settlement and crew work, though they didnt really get specific about it

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Is Kyra the girl who you meet early on, collect legendary animal items for her, gently caress every time you bring her an item, and then her quest line ends with her demanding to die in combat with you?

Cuz Jesus Christ that was written by someone who has no idea how human interactions work

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Is Kyra the girl who you meet early on, collect legendary animal items for her, gently caress every time you bring her an item, and then her quest line ends with her demanding to die in combat with you?

Cuz Jesus Christ that was written by someone who has no idea how human interactions work

Nah she's the lady in the Mykonos questchain where her father is an rear end in a top hat cultist and she's orchestrating a rebellion and you help her out and then if you romance her, the response the ending is basically "Hey I have to go fight the rest of this cult but I'll come back if I can" and then you sail into the sunset and were never seen or heard from again.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Odyssey has *several* friendly people that will demand to die in combat with you after becoming their friend or romancing them, and I obliged them all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Odyssey has *several* friendly people that will demand to die in combat with you after becoming their friend or romancing them, and I obliged them all

At least in a viking setting it'll feel more fitting that every other person you dick down or get drunk with (or both) decides they want nothing more in life than to die by your side/at your hand.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Origins was still better than Odyssey

They're both a little too big, but every feature that Odyssey added -> recruitment, mercenaries, the cultist system, dialogue choices, dynamic quests -> was all extremely half-baked, and all the stuff they removed -> double assassinations, fever-dream death sequences, camels, shields -> was cool as hell

I would also argue that Origins has a stronger narrative and a more interesting PC but that's a little more subjective whereas everything above is an objective truth :colbert:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 15, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It did add Kassandra and let you play as her the whole game. :colbert: This is extremely important to at least my enjoyment of the game. (Namely that I can play as a woman)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked having a boat. I know origins had a handful of boat segments too but I liked it being a proper fixture of the game.

I just like games where you have a boat I guess

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I liked boat battles and hunting down the cultists and killing off mercs who came to kill me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

everything above is an objective truth :colbert:

If we're talking about objective truth then mercenaries were kinda half-baked feature of Origins and were vastly improved in Odyssey.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Oh dear me posted:

I also cannot imagine thinking only having 15-20 hours of game is good

You... you're saying you don't believe there are good 15 hour games...?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just let me RP a big gay viking without the bullshit enforced hetero story that Odyssey had in the DLC and I'll be happy to use the male Eivor. Gayvor.

I loved Odyssey though, definitely my top rear end creed since #2

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wolfsheim posted:

Origins was still better than Odyssey

They're both a little too big, but every feature that Odyssey added -> recruitment, mercenaries, the cultist system, dialogue choices, dynamic quests -> was all extremely half-baked, and all the stuff they removed -> double assassinations, fever-dream death sequences, camels, shields -> was cool as hell

I would also argue that Origins has a stronger narrative and a more interesting PC but that's a little more subjective whereas everything above is an objective truth :colbert:

i enjoyed the combat(both ground and ship) more than origins and i enjoyed the mercs because it liked the half baked shadow of mordor system of just fighting mini bosses at forts and poo poo. i think i liked origins story and world alot better though. being a wandering jedi sherif is fun. though being an chaotic neutral killer gently caress machine decimating thousands of spartan men and women is fun too.

bike tory posted:

Just let me RP a big gay viking without the bullshit enforced hetero story that Odyssey had in the DLC and I'll be happy to use the male Eivor. Gayvor.

I loved Odyssey though, definitely my top rear end creed since #2

i suspect they learned from that. from reading you can have romances and relationships but no marriage because Eivore don't like being tied down.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i enjoyed the combat(both ground and ship) more than origins and i enjoyed the mercs because it liked the half baked shadow of mordor system of just fighting mini bosses at forts and poo poo. i think i liked origins story and world alot better though. being a wandering jedi sherif is fun. though being an chaotic neutral killer gently caress machine decimating thousands of spartan men and women is fun too.

i suspect they learned from that. from reading you can have romances and relationships but no marriage because Eivore don't like being tied down.

Marriage wasn't the problem, it was the enforced straight marriage drat it. Let me gay marry the viking lady I want to! :argh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eimi posted:

Marriage wasn't the problem, it was the enforced straight marriage drat it. Let me gay marry the viking lady I want to! :argh:

oh i know. i was just saying. I just want to fight with a big greatsword drat it. i havent used one since brotherhood.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So loving stoked for a 2 handed sword.

Also, Odyssey was Assassin's Creed: Lesbian Death Boat and I intend on thinking of a similar clever name for this game, dammit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Assassin's Creed: Big Gay Viking Vacation

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just dudes kissing dudes on the shores of valhalla forever

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ilitarist posted:

If we're talking about objective truth then mercenaries were kinda half-baked feature of Origins and were vastly improved in Odyssey.

Ehhhh they do a pretty good job of having those ten guys come after you as a big moment during a plot event and then when you finally do get them all you end up with one of the savviest outfits in the game. This mercenary system in Odyssey is both endless and hints at this neat history but never lets you do anything with it, unlike the Mordor games the mercs never come back or talk to you again.

Like, killing that tenth and final guy out in the wastelands in Origins was memorable. Killing four more mercs who just showed up after I started fighting a cultist after already running through two dozen barely registers. What am I gonna do, read their backstories after the fact before they get replaced by new randomly generated guys in an hour?

It sucks because a lot of the mercs have really cool designs and animal companions and such, so if recruiting them actually let them follow you around or something it could be interesting but otherwise you might see them on your ship sometimes. Sounds like Valhalla does more with it so we'll see :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

This mercenary system in Odyssey is both endless and hints at this neat history but never lets you do anything with it, unlike the Mordor games the mercs never come back or talk to you again

yeah... the mercenary system feels like someone took a really quick look at the nemesis stuff in the mordor games, started building something like it, and then got distracted by something else 1/4 of the way into it

in many ways the game feels like different parts of it were made by people who weren't really communicating with one another very well, and overall seems like they took a look at every other popular open world game and arpg of the past few years and tried to emulate a few of the most popular features but only kinda. i do think kassandra is a great character tho and its still fun a lot of the time

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 15, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Also, Odyssey was Assassin's Creed: Lesbian Death Boat and I intend on thinking of a similar clever name for this game, dammit.

Trying to think of something funny around longshipping but I'm not quite getting there

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

Like, killing that tenth and final guy out in the wastelands in Origins was memorable.

I think I only fought 3 of those guys in Origins. One time I was curious about them and twice they came in after the alarm was raised. I remember them being strong and that's it. I'm not not sure why would you even interact with them. In Odyssey I remember meeting high level mercenaries out of my league just wandering the world, plotting their demise so that I can get higher rank and associated boosts. You can hire mercenaries you like and then summon them. Some of them are story characters involved in quests. Some have unique artifacts. They are the main counterweight to taking fortresses head on: even if you don't cause an alarm a longer fight will attract mercs.

It's very strange to me that this mechanic deeply connected to the rest of the game both narratively and mechanically can be called half-baked.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Saxophone posted:

Viking Dream Boat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 15, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Simone Magus posted:

You... you're saying you don't believe there are good 15 hour games...?

No, I'm saying that being short is not itself desirable. I would describe a good 15-hour game as 'good, despite being short', not 'good, because it is short'.

(Unless I had paid full AAA price for a 15-hour game, in which case I'd describe it as a rip-off.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

No, I'm saying that being short is not itself desirable. I would describe a good 15-hour game as 'good, despite being short', not 'good, because it is short'.

(Unless I had paid full AAA price for a 15-hour game, in which case I'd describe it as a rip-off.)

The problem every Ubisoft open-world game has (because they all follow the exact same formula) is that there's about 10-15 hours of 'good' content and then it's just repeated over and over and over again until you are overwhelmed with blandness and quit.

Also in the desire to get as much 'diversity' of content thrown in as possible none of it is actually properly followed through on. The mercenary system is a good example from this page - it's obviously a quick copy of the Nemesis system but they didn't copy across any of the depth of the mechanics from Mordor that actually make it fun and engaging - traits meaningfully impacting how you approach a fight (because as I've been complaining, unless you do a tedious respec and change your gear you are locked into a particular combat style), repeated encounters with relevant dialogue, relationships between enemies, recruiting enemies, recruited enemies betraying you, shaming enemies, sending enemies death threats. Odyssey mercenaries are just a mini-boss fight with randomised weapons and resists that happens if you stay in an area fighting guards too long.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Evil Canadian posted:

First thing I noticed and....

Ubisoft Brazil says effectively, yes its Kassandra

https://twitter.com/UbisoftBrasil/status/1316484651700060164

I dunno, maybe it's meant to be her but the voice actor is definitely different. Listen to this little clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC0WhJfW0XI&t=728s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh dear me posted:

A 10 or 15 hour game that's fun and engaging for the whole thing is better than a padded out to gently caress repetitive 60 hour game

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Henry??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC0WhJfW0XI&t=3635s

I am still worried about the quality of the voice acting tbh

the "speak english but with a dodgy accent" thing kind of worked in Origins and Odyssey because they all had fun, sing-songy voices. But here it's like every single character is doing the same monotonous, gruff ~viking voice~

oh well

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Alchenar posted:

The problem every Ubisoft open-world game has (because they all follow the exact same formula) is that there's about 10-15 hours of 'good' content and then it's just repeated over and over and over again until you are overwhelmed with blandness and quit.

I see it as a problem with gameplay, not content. If you don't like navigating the world or fighting or developing character or whatever there is in the game then you can talk about how the game should have been shorter cause you had to endure challenges to get to the story and nice views. Earlier AC games had simpler gameplay but tried to be very long tutorials for a long time so it didn't matter as much if you don't actually want to play AC game. I guess this way you turn bland AAA game into an artful experience like Pathologic 2.

Origins and Odyssey really want an average Joe to have fun exploring and engaging with gameplay systems. For me Odyssey had ~150 of good content and most of it was emergent gameplay not connected to goofy quests with bad writing many of which I'd rather replace with unambitious "kill 5 Athenian archers" randomly generated quests.